Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Revenant's MESMER SKIN is a bit unbalanced - BALANCE SUGGESTION

AegidiusF

Just now, SneakyErvin said:

That is still not part of the current game, so wtf does it have to do with anything? And what old SP did you run if Stalker always showed up to a point where it was a norm for you?

It shows the utility of Thralls.

Just now, nslay said:

It shows the utility of Thralls.

No, because you are still muppeting around in basic missions, non-endless. Missions that are exactly the same as the normal star chart, with the same low number of enemies etc. Only that very specific instance with Stalker would make them useful back then. Missions where you otherwise wouldnt need to spawn a single thrall since it doesnt matter if the mobs deal more damage or not. Level 1 or higher has never really mattered to Rev, just the number of enemies present.

10 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

No, because you are still muppeting around in basic missions, non-endless. Missions that are exactly the same as the normal star chart, with the same low number of enemies etc. Only that very specific instance with Stalker would make them useful back then. Missions where you otherwise wouldnt need to spawn a single thrall since it doesnt matter if the mobs deal more damage or not. Level 1 or higher has never really mattered to Rev, just the number of enemies present.

OK, you want a 10 round SP Lua Disruption video with AoE weapons and Thralls? I like that mission! Is that still considered basic?

EDIT: The 30 round SP Hydron run I did for Madurai Prime in this thread was not possible without Thralls. I used Glaive Prime heavily in that run.

EDIT2: Or SP Void Cascade or Void Flood perhaps? Thralls and AoE weapons there too.

You tell me what you want to see and I'll show you how to do it and how effective it is.

15 minutes ago, nslay said:

OK, you want a 10 round SP Lua Disruption video with AoE weapons and Thralls? I like that mission! Is that still considered basic?

EDIT: The 30 round SP Hydron run I did for Madurai Prime in this thread was not possible without Thralls. I used Glaive Prime heavily in that run.

How would a Lua Disruption or even a defense show what is actually being discussed. No one is saying Thralls have no use, what is being said is that they have no use to help make old mesmer skin mechanics last longer in endless SP, especially in missions where killing is top priority in order to keep going, and especially not versus non-infested factions that bring massive amounts of incoming fire on you. I had no problems with infested SP as Rev back in the day, but setting foot into an endless of the other factions would mean either constant skin rebuffs, or certain death. And that was a rebuff each 5 seconds or so at the least. And with his addition of not having a particularly offensive kit, it made him a complete gimp for SP. Becuase the combination of having to recast defenses each 5 sec coupled with having to rely mostly on weapons (melee at the time) dropped his efficiency to bottom levels. The killing problem somewhat went away with "new" SP, but the constant need of rebuffing turned him into a chore.

Now he actually works, still not to the absurd levels of normal maps.

edit: And if people want old skin back I'd honestly rather take a duration based 90-95% damage reduction buff at that point. Atleast those are consistant.

8 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

How would a Lua Disruption or even a defense show what is actually being discussed. No one is saying Thralls have no use, what is being said is that they have no use to help make old mesmer skin mechanics last longer in endless SP, especially in missions where killing is top priority in order to keep going, and especially not versus non-infested factions that bring massive amounts of incoming fire on you. I had no problems with infested SP as Rev back in the day, but setting foot into an endless of the other factions would mean either constant skin rebuffs, or certain death. And that was a rebuff each 5 seconds or so at the least. And with his addition of not having a particularly offensive kit, it made him a complete gimp for SP. Becuase the combination of having to recast defenses each 5 sec coupled with having to rely mostly on weapons (melee at the time) dropped his efficiency to bottom levels. The killing problem somewhat went away with "new" SP, but the constant need of rebuffing turned him into a chore.

Now he actually works, still not to the absurd levels of normal maps.

edit: And if people want old skin back I'd honestly rather take a duration based 90-95% damage reduction buff at that point. Atleast those are consistant.

Thralls worked for Defense (even when using AoE weapons!) for the same reason they worked before the Mesmer Skin buff (even with AoE weapons!). They distract dangerous enemies like Nullifiers and Overguard units to shoot at something else sparing your Mesmer Skin stacks. It's one of Revenant's other defense tricks.

So this "problem" with Eximus stripping stacks too fast was easily mitigated with some initial duck/cover and then casting  some Thralls. And that is regardless if you're using AoE weapons and you killing your own Thralls. The ability spreads in a viral fashion, so some Thrall deaths don't really stop the ability from working... and my videos would show that.

I mean c'mon, you should have learned this lesson with Tusk Bolkors years ago.

EDIT: Lua Disruption is kill-focused to get keys and dispatch Demolysts. Same with Defense... need to kill to advance waves.

1 hour ago, nslay said:

Thralls worked for Defense (even when using AoE weapons!) for the same reason they worked before the Mesmer Skin buff (even with AoE weapons!). They distract dangerous enemies like Nullifiers and Overguard units to shoot at something else sparing your Mesmer Skin stacks. It's one of Revenant's other defense tricks.

So this "problem" with Eximus stripping stacks too fast was easily mitigated with some initial duck/cover and then casting  some Thralls. And that is regardless if you're using AoE weapons and you killing your own Thralls. The ability spreads in a viral fashion, so some Thrall deaths don't really stop the ability from working... and my videos would show that.

I mean c'mon, you should have learned this lesson with Tusk Bolkors years ago.

EDIT: Lua Disruption is kill-focused to get keys and dispatch Demolysts. Same with Defense... need to kill to advance waves.

But that isnt the issue. Those mobs have never been a real issue overall. The packed amount of enemies in things like survival have been the issue since SP released, because you cannot slow down so you cannot rely on thralls and your skin gets eaten in no time in return.

Defense and disruption do not have near the pressure of killing that survival does, since survival relies on killing efficiently to keep life support up. Defense and disruption wont end if you run out of life support, since they dont have life support. At which point it really just comes down to clearing the mission efficiently or as efficiently as you are comfortable with. It's fine in those types of mission to simply enthrall something here and there and leave the mobs alive, since the objective of those missions is different. Enthrall relieves pressure on the target in defense, and in disruption it can leave lumps of unimportant mobs "over there" as you carry on to find key bearers. Neither of those two goals apply to survival.

55 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

But that isnt the issue. Those mobs have never been a real issue overall. The packed amount of enemies in things like survival have been the issue since SP released, because you cannot slow down so you cannot rely on thralls and your skin gets eaten in no time in return.

It works in Survival too. Want a SP Corpus Ship video? That's the most perilous Survival mission if we're talking density and nasty ranged weapons. Your Mesmer Skin stacks aren't vanishing in "no time" if nobody is shooting at you... and you can ensure that with Thralls.

EDIT: BTW, density in SP Lua Disruption and SP Hydron is no joke.

EDIT2: Dude, I will even gimp my ability strength to reduce stacks so as to avoid benefiting from the current change as much.

Like you clearly assumed Enthtall doesn't help solely because you use AoE weapons while forgetting all the other details about the ability. As a fellow AoE user, I'm telling you that you're sorely mistaken. With one video fitting all you're absurd criteria, you and others will be swiftly shown the error in your usage and assumptions.

OK, here you go. For all those curious, here's a gimped Revenant modded to have 3 Mesmer Skin stacks. The purpose of the reduction of stacks was to kind of simulate this loss of Mesmer Skin stacks "in seconds" and IIRC, the new Mesmer Skin buff gates by 1 second. So 3 Mesmer Skin stacks = 3 seconds of invulnerability right?

This video shows Steel Path Corpus Ship Survival on Pluto. I chose this tileset because it is perilous with lots and lots ranged Corpus sporting automatic and beam weapons (and Nullifiers and Scrambus/Comba to boot!). In summary, it shows the following:

1. The utility of Thralls in Mesmer Skin longevity.
  2. The coexistence of Thralls and AOE weapons (Cerata and Proboscis Cernos).

Even with 3 stacks, Mesmer Skin usually lasted quite a while (definitely more than "seconds"). I did not struggle to keep Survival up through killing. Collateral damage thralls did not necessarily invalidate Enthrall as more Thralls usually popped up. Mesmer Skin stacks did get stripped quite fast in the absence of Thralls (to be expected).

Now the idea here is to try to show you what this run might look like pre-Mesmer Skin buff.... and that you really didn't need the buff to begin with because you could use Enthrall as an effective mitigation of Overguard/Nullifier units. Now it seems you don't really need a lot of Mesmer Skin stacks (ability strength). So Revenant is now in this weird state where likely no mod configuration is really special or optimal so-to-speak. Maybe you don't really need many mods beyond Natural Talent (well I like this mod). I can't imagine DE intended Revenant to be like this w.r.t. mods.... just put parkour and speed mods on him!

Spoiler

Now this is a rotation C run (20 minutes). I figured you wouldn't want to watch something long like an hour of this... and well... 20 minutes is 10GB of video to upload! If, for whatever reason, you don't think this is sustainable past 20 minutes and I would be happy to do this for an hour and record, say, the last 10 minutes of it! I did this with some Jon Prodman runs for example.

I forgot to show you equipment in the beginning. I show it at the end.

14 hours ago, nslay said:

OK, here you go. For all those curious, here's a gimped Revenant modded to have 3 Mesmer Skin stacks. The purpose of the reduction of stacks was to kind of simulate this loss of Mesmer Skin stacks "in seconds" and IIRC, the new Mesmer Skin buff gates by 1 second. So 3 Mesmer Skin stacks = 3 seconds of invulnerability right?

This video shows Steel Path Corpus Ship Survival on Pluto. I chose this tileset because it is perilous with lots and lots ranged Corpus sporting automatic and beam weapons (and Nullifiers and Scrambus/Comba to boot!). In summary, it shows the following:

Even with 3 stacks, Mesmer Skin usually lasted quite a while (definitely more than "seconds"). I did not struggle to keep Survival up through killing. Collateral damage thralls did not necessarily invalidate Enthrall as more Thralls usually popped up. Mesmer Skin stacks did get stripped quite fast in the absence of Thralls (to be expected).

Now the idea here is to try to show you what this run might look like pre-Mesmer Skin buff.... and that you really didn't need the buff to begin with because you could use Enthrall as an effective mitigation of Overguard/Nullifier units. Now it seems you don't really need a lot of Mesmer Skin stacks (ability strength). So Revenant is now in this weird state where likely no mod configuration is really special or optimal so-to-speak. Maybe you don't really need many mods beyond Natural Talent (well I like this mod). I can't imagine DE intended Revenant to be like this w.r.t. mods.... just put parkour and speed mods on him!

Hide contents

Now this is a rotation C run (20 minutes). I figured you wouldn't want to watch something long like an hour of this... and well... 20 minutes is 10GB of video to upload! If, for whatever reason, you don't think this is sustainable past 20 minutes and I would be happy to do this for an hour and record, say, the last 10 minutes of it! I did this with some Jon Prodman runs for example.

You kinda proved my point as in not keeping efficiency up through killing. You dip to very low life support even before the 20 minute mark. Which is due to having to actively worry about keeping thralls alive to distract enemies in order for them to not attack you. Which makes Rev, with the old skin (although only mimiced here) a non-viable frame for SP survival. It also made him a horribly inconsistant frame when it came to his own survival, with massive contrast between everything else and then SP. Even within SP it was a massive contrast between non-endless and endless.

And what is it you dont think DE intended for Rev? He has worked as a near permanently invulnerable frame from the day he was released, a frame you could rely on for minutes between rebuffs. Then SP endless came and shifted that to seconds, then the recent buff came and turned that into atleast 1 second per stack, moving him closer to his potential that he had and still has in non-endless SP missions. There is still a wide cap between how often he needs to maintain mesmer in SP endless and in normal missions, because in one we talk seconds, the other minutes.

Just now, SneakyErvin said:

You kinda proved my point as in not keeping efficiency up through killing. You dip to very low life support even before the 20 minute mark. Which is due to having to actively worry about keeping thralls alive to distract enemies in order for them to not attack you. Which makes Rev, with the old skin (although only mimiced here) a non-viable frame for SP survival. It also made him a horribly inconsistant frame when it came to his own survival, with massive contrast between everything else and then SP. Even within SP it was a massive contrast between non-endless and endless.

And what is it you dont think DE intended for Rev? He has worked as a near permanently invulnerable frame from the day he was released, a frame you could rely on for minutes between rebuffs. Then SP endless came and shifted that to seconds, then the recent buff came and turned that into atleast 1 second per stack, moving him closer to his potential that he had and still has in non-endless SP missions. There is still a wide cap between how often he needs to maintain mesmer in SP endless and in normal missions, because in one we talk seconds, the other minutes.

OK, want me to do it for an hour? I can do that. How long do you need for proof?

Oh, my friend, you have it backwards. I have proved everything you said to be completely untrue. You're wrong about Mesmer Skin needing this buff and you're wrong about Thralls and AoE weapons. Look, I understand why you might have thought Thralls might have been useless with AoE. But you're wrong.

12 minutes ago, nslay said:

OK, want me to do it for an hour? I can do that. How long do you need for proof?

Oh, my friend, you have it backwards. I have proved everything you said to be completely untrue. You're wrong about Mesmer Skin needing this buff and you're wrong about Thralls and AoE weapons. Look, I understand why you might have thought Thralls might have been useless with AoE. But you're wrong.

So why is your life support dipping to the point it does if everything is fine? That is not what an effective frame, kit and loadout looks like. 

3 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

So why is your life support dipping to the point it does if everything is fine? That is not what an effective frame, kit and loadout looks like. 

The life support module drops are finicky. This has even happened to my Khora doing those 30 minute Nightwave Kuva Survivals in Steel Path.

Anyway, "normal" for me is 30%+ with plenty of reserve life support capsules... and that Revenant had the maximum amount of life support capsule spawns (this is what really matters).

1 hour ago, nslay said:

The life support module drops are finicky. This has even happened to my Khora doing those 30 minute Nightwave Kuva Survivals in Steel Path.

Anyway, "normal" for me is 30%+ with plenty of reserve life support capsules... and that Revenant had the maximum amount of life support capsule spawns (this is what really matters).

I just prefer being able to sustain it on my own, with life support capsules as a very last resort, since at that point I'm allowed to be in a good area no matter if it spawns capsules or not.

One thing I'm also really wondering. If you think the old mesmer was fine for SP since you use/used thralls to help avoid incoming damage, then you think it is fine to also not be able to use your ultimate at all more or less? Since that is practically what happens with Rev and the old mesmer skin in content such as endless SP. Lengthy transition into the skill, and lengthy transition our of it to rebuff defense, and defense charges being gone in seconds since you no longer can avoid in a real way.

1 hour ago, SneakyErvin said:

I just prefer being able to sustain it on my own, with life support capsules as a very last resort, since at that point I'm allowed to be in a good area no matter if it spawns capsules or not.

One thing I'm also really wondering. If you think the old mesmer was fine for SP since you use/used thralls to help avoid incoming damage, then you think it is fine to also not be able to use your ultimate at all more or less? Since that is practically what happens with Rev and the old mesmer skin in content such as endless SP. Lengthy transition into the skill, and lengthy transition our of it to rebuff defense, and defense charges being gone in seconds since you no longer can avoid in a real way.

Even with the current band new change to Mesmer Skin, I just don't see how you can survive Steel Path Corpus Ship Survival without Thralls. Maybe if you put yourself in a closet and kill everyone before they get a chance to shoot at you? You saw how many Corpus Techs there were, right? That's nuts! They're less common on Corpus Outpost maps. And a lot of those Moas have beam weapons... and even the Shield Ospreys have automatic weapons (unlike the normal ones).  The Railjack Ospreys have lightning weapons (held trigger). And DE designed particularly nasty Corpus Ship Nullifiers that have automatic weapons (or fast fire-rate weapons). The normal Corpus Nullifiers have a slow fire-rate nerfed Lanka.

Reave and Danse Macabre could definitely use a revisit. Reave is a lot less useful now owing to the scaling changes. Danse Macabre is a low-level mission skill only.

If you asked me about Reave before the scaling changes? Mixed feelings. But now? Definitely not as useful.

Le 24/09/2022 à 01:24, nslay a dit :

Masquer le contenu

Excellent ! Thanks very much.

Glad to see I'm not the only one playing Revenant this way.

I never understood why people almost never use Enthrall and keep relying only on Mesmer Skin. Revenant set of abilities is really nice and with good synergies.

48 minutes ago, (NSW)AegisFifi said:

I never understood why people almost never use Enthrall and keep relying only on Mesmer Skin. Revenant set of abilities is really nice and with good synergies.

It's less useful in pub games. But you can think of your team mates as 'Thralls' in pub games. And if they start dying (e.g. in arbitrations), some Thralls might help them even if they kill some of them.

16 hours ago, nslay said:

Even with the current band new change to Mesmer Skin, I just don't see how you can survive Steel Path Corpus Ship Survival without Thralls. Maybe if you put yourself in a closet and kill everyone before they get a chance to shoot at you? You saw how many Corpus Techs there were, right? That's nuts! They're less common on Corpus Outpost maps. And a lot of those Moas have beam weapons... and even the Shield Ospreys have automatic weapons (unlike the normal ones).  The Railjack Ospreys have lightning weapons (held trigger). And DE designed particularly nasty Corpus Ship Nullifiers that have automatic weapons (or fast fire-rate weapons). The normal Corpus Nullifiers have a slow fire-rate nerfed Lanka.

Reave and Danse Macabre could definitely use a revisit. Reave is a lot less useful now owing to the scaling changes. Danse Macabre is a low-level mission skill only.

If you asked me about Reave before the scaling changes? Mixed feelings. But now? Definitely not as useful.

Huh? What? Corpus, corrupted, grineer, all the same aslong as you actually build to make your skin last. With 15 stacks you are guaranteed 15 seconds atleast, if you move and evade more. Why would you need thralls? Fire rate on enemies does not matter, since only 1 stack can be lost per second. That is the whole point of the current version!

Danse completely annihilates corpus and infested, aslong as you dont end up with too many nullis or disruptors. Which is why it is nice to now be able to actually use it for a prolonged time in SP. Roar, Mesmer, Reave, Danse, really nice working combo under the new mesmer skin for SP since you can buff up and do some serious clearing with danse, and as you reposition with Reave you'll also inflict some serious damage thanks to high strength and roar. With the old skin it just didnt work, since you buffed up, transitioned into danse and practically lost skin before having a chance to do much. Which is why I said earlier in this thread that if mesmer skin gets changed back I'd rather take a 90-95% damage reduction with duration.

1 hour ago, (NSW)AegisFifi said:

Revenant set of abilities is really nice and with good synergies.

The only part of his synergies that is decent is the thrall+reave combo. Though in reality, if he was well designed in synergies that one would have instead been "Using reave while danse macabre is active or through an enemy afflicted with enthrall will add a mesmer skin charge. If both requirements are met, 2 stacks are gained.". It would make locking yourself into danse less of a death trap. The rest of the synergies are just bad and completely unfitting for him. Overshield orbs when killing a thrall with danse, when was Rev a shield frame?

There are just soooooo many ideas for what his synergies could be that we actually tried to push after his release and the mess of the current ones. We got none of it. Some of them were practically the one described above, others were.

Killing an enthralled enemy with danse/reaving through them spread enthrall to new targets. With an increase to number of targets that can be afflicted at once.

Killing enthralled enemies with danse will create a moving tornado that enthralls and burns targets on contact.

Reaving through enemies recharges 1 mesmer stack. No longer a heal.

Thralls cannot be killed by you or allies. Hitting thralls with reave or danse refreshes the duration. Hitting thralls with danse recharges a mesmer stack. When duration ends the thrall takes all accumulated damage.

Things that would actually synergize with his kit, without being a hindrance in groups or denser content. His synergies have been one of the #1 things people have criticized regarding Rev.

4 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

Danse completely annihilates corpus and infested, aslong as you dont end up with too many nullis or disruptors. Which is why it is nice to now be able to actually use it for a prolonged time in SP. Roar, Mesmer, Reave, Danse, really nice working combo under the new mesmer skin for SP since you can buff up and do some serious clearing with danse, and as you reposition with Reave you'll also inflict some serious damage thanks to high strength and roar. With the old skin it just didnt work, since you buffed up, transitioned into danse and practically lost skin before having a chance to do much. Which is why I said earlier in this thread that if mesmer skin gets changed back I'd rather take a 90-95% damage reduction with duration.

Danse Macabre is performing better than I remembered in Steel Path. To my memory, it's never really dented the Steel Path Corpus because of their 3x shield bonus, but now it definitely works better against Corpus. It performs similarly poorly against Grineer... though still a major improvement from what I remember (which was basically no practical damage to Grineer). And Infested? Well... Infested are easy.

Here's a screenshot of basic Grineer units tanking some passes of boosted Danse Macabre... not great IMO:

Spoiler

2MMyMk2.jpg

Danse Macabre has always been a questionable ability. It adapts damage, but it tends to adapt to the least useful element. For example, it adapts to Corpus Shields by dealing Magnetic Damage. Smarter adaptation would deal Toxin damage.

4 minutes ago, nslay said:

Danse Macabre is performing better than I remembered in Steel Path. To my memory, it's never really dented the Steel Path Corpus because of their 3x shield bonus, but now it definitely works better against Corpus. It performs similarly poorly against Grineer... though still a major improvement from what I remember (which was basically no practical damage to Grineer). And Infested? Well... Infested are easy.

Here's a screenshot of basic Grineer units tanking some passes of boosted Danse Macabre... not great IMO:

Reveal hidden contents

2MMyMk2.jpg

Danse Macabre has always been a questionable ability. It adapts damage, but it tends to adapt to the least useful element. For example, it adapts to Corpus Shields by dealing Magnetic Damage. Smarter adaptation would deal Toxin damage.

Yeah versus grineer it has always been on the lacking side. The bonus with it there is that it takes care of the smallipops quite well and speeds up your reave cast speed so you can eat up the heavies as you go. Not that I use it often versus grineer, but I do love it versus the others. It is also quite nice on mixed maps, like fissures, especially if it is an infested mission as the base. That number of infested units mixed with other types lead to alot of gas stacks covering quite nice areas.

Le 25/09/2022 à 16:55, nslay a dit :

Yes, I agree. That's also a problem with Baruuk's Desert Winds with the Augment mod : it adapts to the shields. That's why it's worse on Corpus missions.

And also, both abilities (Revenant and Baruuk) won't adapt to Overguard with Void type damage. Only Xata's Whisper can do that for a Warframe.

Revenant is fine where he is Yes he is stupidly tanky. that is kind of the point. But I don't think that is really that much of a problem. Since warframe is an objective based game being difficult to kill (In this case very hard to kill in content that doesn't have instant ability stripers of any kind) Is fine as it does not guaranty  you a win. The problem is that the tankyness of other frames like Nyx and Valkyr are just extremely outdated. Revs Mesmer skin doesn't play the game for you and there are many cases were It doesn't cut it for survivability( he tends to struggle against the corpus quite a bit in high level play.) he is fine stop trying to get something nerfed that just got buffed because it was not performing as it was intended to.

Hot take, i dont actually mind the cooldown mechanic for his mesmer skin, i would still be able to laugh at the face of enemies as i cannot die for a certain amount of seconds and i can use thralls as meatshields anyway. 

In short, adding a cooldown based on mesmer skin count is an ultimately meaningless change unless you pend for a change in his 2nds casting speed, which many people would argue against.

Archived