Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Windows 10 logo?

Mysioreu

Would you mind changing tag for PC platform from Windows 10 to something more uniformic like a PC symbol? as it is done in other cross-platform games; because Windows 10 logo may to some feel like a downgrade, not to mention Linux (or other UNIX-like systems) players.

I know it's a small thing, but isn't this game all about small improvements?

I wouldnt mind DE making a small PC logo instead of using OS based logos.

18 minutes ago, Mysioreu said:

Would you mind changing tag for PC platform from Windows 10 to something more uniformic like a PC symbol?

Its not necessarily a Win10 logo, just a Windows.

19 minutes ago, Mysioreu said:

because Windows 10 logo may to some feel like a downgrade

I dont really see why given Win11 which supposed to be an upgrade came out a wile now and is still a dumpster fire of problems and compatibility issues.

26 minutes ago, Mysioreu said:

not to mention Linux (or other UNIX-like systems) players.

Me reading the percentage of Linux users in the playerbase:
2e02rl.jpg

to @Mysioreu;

Why Windows 10 logo ? Because it's a simplest Black and White Logo; and win11 logo is better in color but clearly bad in W/B.

About Steam Deck (from wikia) : Proton is a compatibility layer for Microsoft Windows games to run on Linux-based operating systems. Proton is developed by Valve in cooperation with developers from CodeWeavers. It is a collection of software and libraries combined with a patched version of Wine to improve performance and compatibility with Windows games. Proton is designed for integration into the Steam client as "Steam Play".[4] It is officially distributed through the client, although third party forks can be manually installed.

Basically it's a Windows/PC systems camouflaged under a Linux Skin. As a skin does not change a Warframe nature, Nor does Steam Deck change the fact that it's still a WINDOWS CORE SYSTEM. And most Unix just virtualize Windows to play games so it's still a windows core inside an Unix Interface.

On 2023-01-04 at 8:11 PM, RLanzinger said:

to @Mysioreu

Basically it's a Windows/PC systems camouflaged under a Linux Skin. As a skin does not change a Warframe nature, Nor does Steam Deck change the fact that it's still a WINDOWS CORE SYSTEM. And most Unix just virtualize Windows to play games so it's still a windows core inside an Unix Interface.

Wine (formerly a recursive backronym for Wine Is Not an Emulator, now just "Wine")[7] is a free and open-source compatibility layer that aims to allow application software and computer games developed for Microsoft Windows to run on Unix-like operating systems. 

Also copied from wiki but that is beside the point (it literally downloads all dll's and stuff like that to run windows apps and games directly under linux)

I really understand you can disagree with my opinion but I really thought and still think it would be a nice touch

On 2023-01-04 at 8:15 PM, Myscho said:

Also Linux is integrated into Windows 11

I really want to know where you are going with this

To @Mysioreu,

First you can copy paste without formatting, it's way better also you miss to explain a word "Compatibility layer" !!!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia "Compatibility layer"
Examples include:
Wine, which runs some Microsoft Windows binaries on Unix-like systems using a program loader and the Windows API implemented in DLLs

So basically when you understand what is going on; You know that instead of emulating the whole Windows, only emulate partial and unique portions of windows code is enough. It's a partial and well thinked Virtualization which is lighter than full virtualisation.

I's possible because Unix and Windows use the same x86 architecture and also same code for a lots commons programs; This explain why Windows just copy some Linux source code and sometime slighly change them to create a proprietary version as @Myscho mentioned.

It's Still Windows at Core hidden inside Unix; a bit like when you see bits of Corpus / Grineer body in a Infested unit like charger.
Grinner is Windows, the infested Charger is Unix...😋

....and Corpus is Apple, "For Profiiiiiiit !!!" 🤣

But it works perfect on steam deck, just like on any other linux distributions and there is no need for official support.

But back to the topic-windows is not a platform but an operating system, which makes windows logo unfitting among other platforms.

Id be happy if the icon was removed from yourself and anyone on the same platform as you. I'm pretty sure people know what they are playing on after all. Then you only need the swirly crossplay icon for everyone on different platforms.

On 2023-01-04 at 8:15 PM, Myscho said:

Also Linux is integrated into Windows 11

Linux is integrated into Windows 10. It might be an optional download or feature that you have to enable (I forget how I have it enabled), but its there.

I suppose a Windows icon is as simple as it gets, a "PC icon" (which I assume would be the keyboard+monitor) is a lot busier, and the other icons are also brand icons, so I guess it makes sense to be Windows. If anything though, the wavy windows 7 logo would have been the best as it was used for more windows versions than the 2 the win10 one sported, and then maybe Microsoft would have coughed up some cash to have their latest logo used as a bit of brand advertising!

On 2023-01-04 at 8:48 PM, Mysioreu said:

I just wanted to say it would be a nice touch, especially with growing popularity of Steam Deck.

I mean, this game gotta adapt if it wants to survive...

That is funny. Change the icon to survive. The ratio between windows vs all other PC OS is insanely skewed.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/265033/proportion-of-operating-systems-used-on-the-online-gaming-platform-steam/

Spoiler

Steam Dec 2022steam-OS-stats-dec-2022.png

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam 

On 2023-01-11 at 10:24 PM, Frendh said:

The ratio between windows vs all other PC OS is insanely skewed.

Reveal hidden contents

Steam Dec 2022steam-OS-stats-dec-2022.png

Well yes, but as you can see, others are also there and I sincerely think that their existance should also be taken into consideration.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2023-01-25 at 6:27 PM, Frendh said:

The icon is what, 10 by 10 pixels? You can take 5 pixels up in the left corner and draw your linux picture there. Rest of the 95 pixels is the windows icon.

But i didn't say I want Linux logo instead of a windows one, but instead more generalized "PC" logo, that would indicate PC platform and not only one operating system.

Yes, I mean, this very forum is also using "PC" as the PC version and not a windows logo. Only makes sense to use that in-game as well. I also hate that people assume I'm using inferior windows when in reality, I'm using arch btw.

Archived