Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What happened to Warframe reddit channel?

MutoManiac

Went to view a map of caves because they are not shown in Duviri like all other open worlds and Google comes up with lots of reddit posts. Something about a new reddit api and the channel has gone private as a protest. WTF, it's a much needed resource like the wiki.

Access to Reddit API will have higher prices which could potencially lead to end some of Reddit apps, so many of reddit channels goes blackout as form of protest, maybe 24-48 hrs and maybe more

Edited by Myscho
  • Like 5

With the introduction of AI, reddit was one of the sources used to train it. Also the company is seeking value and it's having a hard time when users use 3rd party apps to view reddit as opposed to the main app, i've heard that moderating is sometimes easier on 3rd party apps.

With this reddit went ahead and issued a cost for all the API calls, but the cost is so high that developers of the 3rd party apps will need to charge users a monthly fee just to keep the app.

The goal is obviously to kill the use of 3rd party apps and have users migrate over to the main app, while also potentially getting revenue from api calls used to train AI

In protest several thousand communities are now private, some for 48 hours, others with no end in sight.

Edited by KIREEK
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, KIREEK said:

With the introduction of AI, reddit was one of the sources to train it. Also the company is seeking value and it's having a hard time when users use 3rd party apps to view reddit as opposed to the main app, i've heard that moderating is sometimes easier on 3rd party apps.

With this reddit went ahead and issued a cost for all the API calls, but the cost is so high that developers of the 3rd party apps will need to charge users a monthly fee just to keep the app.

The goal is obviously to kill the use of 3rd party apps and have users migrate over to the main app, while also potentially getting revenue from api calls used to train AI

In protest several thousand communities are now private, some for 48 hours, others with no end in sight.

I'd be curious to see how much they are asking (will go Google now). I'm willing to give a couple bucks a year to Reddit if they need cash. Like I said, it's a valuable resource for me.

Update: Wow, they want 20 million a year for just Apollo. That's nuts. Hope the protest works.

Edited by m_a_r_c_h_
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, m_a_r_c_h_ said:

I'd be curious to see how much they are asking (will go Google now). I'm willing to give a couple bucks a year to Reddit if they need cash. Like I said, it's a valuable resource for me.

Update: Wow, they want 20 million a year for just Apollo. That's nuts. Hope the protest works.

I like the progression from Eh I can help they can't be asking for that much to Oh I need to be Elon Musk levels of rich to make a diference. XD

Edited by EDM774
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, Circle_of_Psi said:

It'll only work if the "protests" stick to their guns and don't go crawling back afterwards.

Like Twitch

Twitch and Reddit are going down the drain with their new policies. These two are sabotaging themselves. 

It's like a clueless CEO took over these platforms and went out for a quick imposing the dumbest policies ever. Once these two bite the dust such CEO businessman will leaves while the platforms kick the bucket. 

We have seen this before. It shouldn't be a surprise for us. 

Edited by Felsagger

I suspect Reddit is looking for a buyer, probably some vulture capital hedge fund crooks like Blackrock, Meaning they are risking their whole site just to show those wannabe Alad Vs that Reddit has Grofit.  That or an IPO where again Grofit.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KernelWizard said:

I'm able to open the Warframe reddit page now but the page layout is kinda weird. Not sure if it's still the same page lmao. 

Funny, i still see 

r/Warframe is a private community

Since the original Warframe Reddit mods care more about their own money than the community, I've setup a new subreddit.

Please feel free to start using it.

Edited by Drevux
  • Like 5

35 minutes ago, Drevux said:

Since the original Warframe Reddit mods care more about their own money than the community, I've setup a new subreddit.

you can't be any more mislead about the whole ordeal. Next time read more into something before ruining the cause they're fighting for.
Reddit has increased the price of API calls for 3rd party apps which a lot of communities warframe included uses to provide basic functionality to it's users.
With the prices reddit asks for those, the communities had 2 options : charge every user obscene fees just so they can afford to stay online because reddit will take all their money.
Or shut down in protest... which you circumvented.

This is why nothing will change and reddit will get away with these shady practices.

Edited by EDM774
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, Drevux said:

Umm The Moderation team is a volunteer based position none of them get paid for moderating the subreddit. Don't know how you came to the conclusion that they make money doing it.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, EDM774 said:

you can't be any more mislead about the whole ordeal. Next time read more into something before ruining the cause they're fighting for.
Reddit has increased the price of API calls for 3rd party apps which a lot of communities warframe included uses to provide basic functionality to it's users.
With the prices reddit asks for those, the communities had 2 options : charge every user obscene fees just so they can afford to stay online because reddit will take all their money.
Or shut down in protest... which you circumvented.

This is why nothing will change and reddit will get away with these shady practices.

What about a third option, don't use the plugin's and keep the site up.  Like every other reddit that is not shutdown.  If there is no money involved then it should be no issue.  The entire reddit platform runs with subreddits much larger than r/Warframe operating fine today.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, (PSN)Ember_Shade_Rose said:

Umm The Moderation team is a volunteer based position none of them get paid for moderating the subreddit. Don't know how you came to the conclusion that they make money doing it.

There is no reason that the subreddit which is a public forum of discussion is required to use third party APIs.  The moderators could just not use them; problem solved.  See previous post to yours, they are using tools and/or systems that are hammering their subreddit API for data; most likely to generate revenue.  They want to keep on doing that at the expense of the community.

Just now, Drevux said:

There is no reason that the subreddit which is a public forum of discussion is required to use third party APIs.  The moderators could just not use them; problem solved.  See previous post to yours, they are using tools and/or systems that are hammering their subreddit API for data; most likely to generate revenue.  They want to keep on doing that at the expense of the community.

It's sad to see people thinking and acting like you.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Drevux said:

None of the apps and subreddit's that are protesting the API pricing change use the API to scrape for Data further you don't need API access to scrape a website for Data. Also most moderators use 3rd-Party apps because they supply better moderation tools then the actual reddit app does.

Edited by (PSN)Ember_Shade_Rose
Added more info
  • Like 2