Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Overguard on frames has no reason to exist

(XBOX)GearsMatrix301

Overguard is literally just shields before shields were made good. No shield gating, no mods to benefit it, no innate DR, doesn’t get benefitted by things that grant overall DR, can’t get more through Archon Shards.

Why does this exist? Kullervo could’ve just been given shields, and his 2 giving him shields and overshields and he would’ve been perfectly fine with no need for the team to have to start thinking of round a bout ways to buff a new health type.

Frost’s augment wouldn’t have been nerfed.

So far the only benefit of Overguard has been granting clearer communication of Rhinos Iron Skin. And a new health type wasn’t even needed to do that. Could’ve just made  a new UI element like what the entire Rhino community has been asking for for years.

Frame Overguard feels like a cheap gimmick. Maybe it’s intended to be some shield alternative for future frames, but there seems to be a severe lack of understanding on why people actually like shields now, or a considerable effort to not make Overguard as good as shields.

which brings us back to “Why does frame Overguard exist if it’s just a worse option than the 2 health types we already had?”

Edited by (XBOX)GearsMatrix301
  • Like 6

I like that it allows Frost and Rhino to activate the 'on getting hit' Arcanes and such but that's all.

As for Kullervo, I don't really mind since it's in the game already and there's no reason it should be exclusive to Eximus and some other enemies, but it should work with Adaptation. Basically like shields but instead of the innate 20% DR you get status immunity.

16 hours ago, (PSN)Sentiel said:

I like that it allows Frost and Rhino to activate the 'on getting hit' Arcanes and such but that's all.

As for Kullervo, I don't really mind since it's in the game already and there's no reason it should be exclusive to Eximus and some other enemies, but it should work with Adaptation. Basically like shields but instead of the innate 20% DR you get status immunity.

They could’ve let “on hit” arcanes and mods work on these frames without making Overguard a thing.

Theres a lot of thing enemies have that we flat out don’t. 

16 hours ago, FulfillMyWill said:

It has been said in recent devstream that overguard will recieve a brief "overguard gating".

Also, overguard lets frames ignore CC.

Rhino could already ignore knockdown, nobody plays frost so who cares if he has knockdown. And on top of that people already used prime sure footed. Overall Knockdown immunity alone is not an equal substitute for DR, shieldgating, and literally everything shields has to support it.

While Shieldgating on Overguard will be nice. It’s still a far cry away from being as good as shields.

25 minutes ago, (XBOX)GearsMatrix301 said:

Overguard is literally just shields before shields were made good. No shield gating, no mods to benefit it, no innate DR, doesn’t get benefitted by things that grant overall DR.

Why does this exist? Kullervo could’ve just been given shields, and his 2 giving him shields and overshields and he would’ve been perfectly fine with no need for the team to have to start thinking of round a bout ways to buff a new health type.

So far the only benefit of Overguard has been granting clearer communication of Rhinos Iron Skin. And a new health type wasn’t even needed to do that. Could’ve just made  a new UI element like what the entire Rhino community has been asking for for years.

Frame Overguard feels like a cheap gimmick. Maybe it’s intended to be some shield alternative for future frames, but there seems to be a severe lack of understanding on why people actually like shields now, or a considerable effort to not make Overguard as good as shields.

which brings us back to “Why does frame Overguard exist if it’s just a worse option than the 2 health types we already had?”

Overguard is needless bloat. If I had to guess, DE may be looking at giving new frames in the future Overguard as well in order to distinguish them from the current roster despite it being a rather superficial metric and (jump into the future) oh look at that mods and arcanes have been released to increase Overguard generation rate, max amount etc and what do you know it stimulates the market as well.

Effort spent rehashing content we already have instead of being used to actually balance the game, bring about interesting frame content etc

Of course I'm of the opinion Overguard was a short-sighted band-aid implemented because DE didn't want to (or didn't know how to) address the issue that was cc properly. Correction, cc is still a problem. Overguard failed and was a waste of time and resources.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, (XBOX)GearsMatrix301 said:

Overguard is literally just shields before shields were made good.

It doesn't get bypassed by toxin.  And pre-rework shields were way worse than Overguard against Impact, Magnetic, and Cold.   And, sure Overguard doesn't recharge or have any resistances like  shields did and do but...it's way better in No Shield Nightmare missions! 

(I'm having fun with you, if it's not obvious.)

2 hours ago, (XBOX)GearsMatrix301 said:

The only "nerf" is that in case you have a Rhino ally they can't stack both their Iron skin and your Icy avalanche.

Otherwise numbers are untouched, still immune to any status effects (unlike Kullervo's overguard), everything work like before overguard with the augment since bugs have been fixed apart from a slight buff allowing you trigger "on damaged" effects.

So I'm really curious of what you call a nerf with Frost?

3 hours ago, (XBOX)GearsMatrix301 said:

no mods to benefit it, no innate DR, doesn’t get benefitted by things that grant overall DR, can’t get more through Archon Shards.

This is my main issue about this:

I get something may be strong or weak. However when I cannot mod it (mods, arcanes etc) then it's boring thing, just another name, same as lot of melee types (especially new one).