Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

You guys played The First Descendant yet? How is it?

Amolistic.

i need some info about the gameplay and environment look tho, since i might consider giving this game a try, but the receptions are mixed.

As from my view right now, the characters...Oufffff....the least generic Korean fantasy style be like...

Dont know about you guys' experience though but it seems to be a warframe/destiny killer?

Edited by Amolistic.

to Robie_Viejo: cool, but its like a raid-like thing so i really don't see much comparison to warframe as warframe is not really a boss-oriented game, maybe much more on destiny.

But if i take what i see now, orowyrms imo are actually better, visual wise and gameplay wise.

If it is a destiny thing, it is not even close, destiny have a lot of great raids it needs to compete with.

(at least from what I see, may differ)

Edited by Amolistic.

I installed it yesterday and talked to this guy who says it's better than Warframe and Destiny. I completed the tutorial yesterday. I will spend tonight with this game! 

On 2023-09-19 at 7:29 PM, Amolistic. said:

i need some info about the gameplay and environment look tho, since i might consider giving this game a try, but the receptions are mixed.

As from my view right now, the characters...Oufffff....the least generic Korean fantasy style be like...

Dont know about you guys' experience though but it seems to be a warframe/destiny killer?

Overall, the game is fun to play, and I spent my time 3 hours non-stop yesterday. It's been a long time to feel excited and engaged since I have never felt that while playing Warframe for 30 minutes or less. I will spend tonight with TFD again.

Edited by Sporthand

Never played it, so my first impressions from the trailers...

• Looks like every other generic military sci-fi shooter out there, but artstyle preferences are subjective, and it does look good and presentable
  • looks like it plays just like Warframe, which is not a bad thing, I like real mobility, but seems like a copycat
  • sounds like the characters are going to be obnoxious rather than charming... at least Warframes shut up
  • It's F2P, so I'd be surprised if it wasn't monetised extremely harshly like most F2P games out there

I've had more than enough of my fill with these kinds of games just by playing Warframe, so I can't say it's drawing me in from first-impressions alone, and good gameplay won't be worth putting up with poor characters or bad monetisation

On 2023-09-20 at 4:29 AM, Amolistic. said:

I highly doubt that purely because it's nexon. Nexon are disgusting, their monetization is disgusting, their management of games is often disgusting, and apparently their management of their staff is even often disgusting. The game looks alright, but it doesn't look like destiny or warframe either, there's not a part of me that believes this is a destiny/warframe killer.

• Like 2

Been playing Warframe since... 2015 or so? And I think the best thing about The First Descendant is that I can ask people to play and they wouldn't be absolutely overwhelmed and be driven mad by the inane amount of content Warframe has with 0 guidance to it. The one thing it has going for it is that it seems more linear and streamlined, weird as it sounds, whereas Warframe is now a 1000 headed hydra and you don't know where to start. Friends have tried to join, see the massive amount of game modes, resource names, MR requirements and no real "follow this story" guide and give up entirely.

TFD is very basic, honestly. If you like shooters, you can enjoy this and get a kick off it. Will it be the best game ever and win multiple rewards? No, the game is just fine. A solid 6, where it stands as "it's fun enough but nothing special" on a scale of 10 where 5 is the medium being "it's just fine".

Nexon does have some weird tendencies, but I've played Vindictus before for a long time and even though you can pay your way to become better than everyone else, they do release freebies that let you catch up or even out things later on. Not sure if they'd take the same approach, it's hard to tell early on.

Also yes, boss fights are a lot more fun than Warframe's, it does have that going for it.

16 hours ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

Lol Destiny is going to be a Destiny killer if they don't pull off the final shape so I guess it might?

I agree, they killed Destiny for me already, so I guess can't kill what's already dead. The moment I wasn't able to play DLC I paid for, and recently before it was removed, and still hadn't even finished, was the moment I considered it dead and have vowed to never touch their games again. But, were that not the case and Destiny was in a healthy spot, I still wouldn't consider this game a destiny killer because it doesn't hit the same feel as it did for me when I played Destiny. I don't see it as a destiny killer not because of Destiny's quality, but just because this game doesn't hit the same feel as Destiny did for me. 

7 hours ago, NecroPed said:

I agree, they killed Destiny for me already, so I guess can't kill what's already dead. The moment I wasn't able to play DLC I paid for, and recently before it was removed, and still hadn't even finished, was the moment I considered it dead and have vowed to never touch their games again. But, were that not the case and Destiny was in a healthy spot, I still wouldn't consider this game a destiny killer because it doesn't hit the same feel as it did for me when I played Destiny. I don't see it as a destiny killer not because of Destiny's quality, but just because this game doesn't hit the same feel as Destiny did for me. 

I definitely agree with you, although in my case, I started getting back into it with beyond light just because I wanted to see where the story would go. (Really sucks that they removed forsaken, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did this behind the scenes considering that both major characters from that dlc are now alive and well). 

The only positive things I can think of is that the weapon crafting and updated modding (which is no longer acquired by daily rng) are much better, but they'll have to actually start improving the game overall before it'll be good again. (Apparently after the final shape, they're replacing seasons with a new system that sorta functions like a mini dlc and isn't limited time but we'll see if it's actually better). 

But yeah they better get their act together for the final shape (and whatever content follows) because after the story finishes there isn't going to be much keeping people playing unless they still enjoy the game.

Edited by (XBOX)Upl0rdYT
  • Like 1

personally.. I actually enjoyed it. like anything, it has it's pros and cons

+ as far as Betas go, it was VERY stable; I expected to be disconnected repeatedly, and it only happened once the entire time. there were admittedly other glitches that prevented fast travel/accessing missions, but I've played WAY worse Betas than that. if the game launches in this condition, I think I'll be pretty satisfied.

+ Graphics look awesome, not really into the "korean MMO sheen" of the actual characters faces, but it's nothing that can't be solved with skin, or just flat-out ignored. everything else looks amazing as far as F2P games go.

+ gunplay is fantastic; all weapons feel as beefy as they're supposed to and have great audio, they also are effective, and quite well designed visually. 

+ modding system.. probably appears complicated to most people, but once you realize it's literally the same as warframe's systems (mods, capacity, items to increase capacity etc.), it's simple enough. the UI for some mods could be better (some symbols are really small, I can see that being an issue for visually impaired players). there are also unique mods that alter powers and mods that change your melee attack for any character.

+ loot is decent: the devs know we don't want to waste time with White/Green gear and so blues drop like candy, but all weapons feel good and effective regardless of rarity.

- there are timers for some of the boss fights in the story, and I'm not sure why.. especially when it's only like 7 minutes and 2 of those have to be spent clearing adds... kinda weird and makes missions way harder than they need to be, especially for solo players.

- the grind looks like it *might* not be so great, mainly in regards to getting resources; no way in hell I'd be able to make Kyle before the Beta ends because you need hundreds of a particular component and it seems like I get 4 from the one mission that drops it.. safe to say, if you're looking for a F2P that isn't grindy, you won't find it here. I'm guessing bundles of mats will be available for the premium currency of course.. 

- one system that caught me out was the levelling system for Ultimate Weapons; these are legendary weapons that don't drop from regular mobs, you have to do a quest for them, a bit like some Destiny Exotics: no biggie, but then when you get the weapon... it's lvl 1, no matter what. the only way to bring it up to your character's level is to go through the rigmarole of crafting 5 Phase Reactors and using an existing weapon  of a higher level to put that level on your shiny legendary gun (you still keep both guns though). I suppose it's intended as a constant source of income from active players like Forma is to us warframe players, but it feels like such a dirty tactic IMO: I'd rather they just scale an ultimate to your current character's level straight away, but if it brings in money you know they won't change it.

- not as much chat support in the beta, which might get fixed, but ultiamtley it just became like region chat on warframe, with an extra dose of thirsty bois talking about Bunny (if you know, you know).

-  not being able to invite unless in the hubworld kind of sucks, hoping that gets fixed in the release, I see no reason not to allow other players to join in battlegrounds, even if you're already in a mission.

overall, it has it's ups and downs, but this game is VERY promising IMO. I won't buy into any hype fully, since I know better after Anthem, but if the devs for this actually care, it could really go places: there's already endgame in the form of Colossus fights and Horde Mode missions like Mine Blocking, and no doubt fashion will be the endgame as well, since each descendant is customizable with skins and up to 6 different colours (might be improved even more on release).  as long as the devs don't get too greedy and the servers behave themselves, I see no reason why this game can't flourish!

• Like 2

I had a blast with it. I was fortunate enough to encounter nothing game breaking, a disconnect here and there is to be expected from a beta.

The characters I got to play were a lot of fun but felt a little underpowered at first, once I realised that the modding system used was, if not a complete copy, heavily influenced by Warframe things improved in this area enough to tickle the power fantasy itch. A few days in, running defence with a mixed team of Descendants was an absolute blast.

There were enough choices character wise to keep me busy and I had a lot of fun learning the mechanics of each. Having said that, Viessa, my starting character clicked with me most, loved her kit.

Weapons felt great and sounded amazing, (my first scout rifle stayed with me the whole time because it just sounded so damn good). As above, modding and upgrading weapons was a bit of a mystery until the Warframe connection was made, after than, no issues.

The big downside, hopefully just due to this being a beta, outside the quests the in game missions were admittedly a little lacking. A map\region once cleared was a sterile void that would benefit in future from random encounters to keep players engaged. More mission types and better availability would also definitely help in this respect.

I won't go as far as to say I'm hyped for the full release as there are many unknowns such as monetization, mission types and endgame content that are still unclear, monetisation being the biggest concern. (If the devs introduce anything that constitutes pay to win I won't be touching this with a bargepole but as there is no mention of a PVP mode, yet, this may not be an issue). 

Having said that, I really enjoyed the time I spent playing, so call me optimistic.

At the end of the day it's going to be F2P. people will have no financial barriers to prevent them installing, playing for a while and making their own minds up.

On 2023-09-20 at 8:59 AM, Sporthand said:

I installed it yesterday and talked to this guy who says it's better than Warframe and Destiny. I completed the tutorial yesterday. I will spend tonight with this game! 

Overall, the game is fun to play, and I spent my time 3 hours non-stop yesterday. It's been a long time to feel excited and engaged since I have never felt that while playing Warframe for 30 minutes or less. I will spend tonight with TFD again.

i watched those, but for me, it seems it will guarantee a success since you are "outright" taking parts of from either destiny or warframe, even previous failed titles like anthem cant run from its referencing.

But I hardly think I will be a killer for both of the games if you are basically the lovechild of them, would be a perfect side game if you got bored with either destiny or warframe.

On 2023-09-21 at 9:02 AM, Joezone619 said:

Even at minimum settings, its laggy, has long loading screens, and on me it kept crashing past the tutorial so yeah, i dont recommend. Keep in mind, I run warframe at max settings with little to no issues.

hmmmmm, then my potato laptop certainly can't run.

On 2023-09-21 at 9:16 AM, NecroPed said:

I highly doubt that purely because it's nexon. Nexon are disgusting, their monetization is disgusting, their management of games is often disgusting, and apparently their management of their staff is even often disgusting. The game looks alright, but it doesn't look like destiny or warframe either, there's not a part of me that believes this is a destiny/warframe killer.

yeah but some features do look like the devs are serious addicts of warframe and destiny so I think that counts?

But I do agree its Nexon, gotta be careful.

On 2023-09-22 at 11:50 AM, Heatnix. said:

Been playing Warframe since... 2015 or so? And I think the best thing about The First Descendant is that I can ask people to play and they wouldn't be absolutely overwhelmed and be driven mad by the inane amount of content Warframe has with 0 guidance to it. The one thing it has going for it is that it seems more linear and streamlined, weird as it sounds, whereas Warframe is now a 1000 headed hydra and you don't know where to start. Friends have tried to join, see the massive amount of game modes, resource names, MR requirements and no real "follow this story" guide and give up entirely.

TFD is very basic, honestly. If you like shooters, you can enjoy this and get a kick off it. Will it be the best game ever and win multiple rewards? No, the game is just fine. A solid 6, where it stands as "it's fun enough but nothing special" on a scale of 10 where 5 is the medium being "it's just fine".

Nexon does have some weird tendencies, but I've played Vindictus before for a long time and even though you can pay your way to become better than everyone else, they do release freebies that let you catch up or even out things later on. Not sure if they'd take the same approach, it's hard to tell early on.

Also yes, boss fights are a lot more fun than Warframe's, it does have that going for it.

hmm. We both do have that same feeling, it looks ok enough but with high requirements on specs, my potato laptop cant run it nicely so I will just look at multiple reviews, comments and form my thoughts.

The bossfight wise, I think it is ok imo, the boss is nice, but the environment around it just not bringing the vibe out.

Tbh, beating warframe in bossfights, which is not a boss-focused game is...whatever.

But orowyrm do give a sense of "fun" that is not common in many games, boss itself  is not very revolutionary but the vibe it brings is really spot on, thus imo, solid 7.5 to 8/10 boss fight, maybe im just those kind of players who cares more about the vibe and the sense of "Oh this boss is really dangerous"

Edited by Amolistic.

21 hours ago, 2old4gamez said:

I had a blast with it. I was fortunate enough to encounter nothing game breaking, a disconnect here and there is to be expected from a beta.

The characters I got to play were a lot of fun but felt a little underpowered at first, once I realised that the modding system used was, if not a complete copy, heavily influenced by Warframe things improved in this area enough to tickle the power fantasy itch. A few days in, running defence with a mixed team of Descendants was an absolute blast.

There were enough choices character wise to keep me busy and I had a lot of fun learning the mechanics of each. Having said that, Viessa, my starting character clicked with me most, loved her kit.

Weapons felt great and sounded amazing, (my first scout rifle stayed with me the whole time because it just sounded so damn good). As above, modding and upgrading weapons was a bit of a mystery until the Warframe connection was made, after than, no issues.

The big downside, hopefully just due to this being a beta, outside the quests the in game missions were admittedly a little lacking. A map\region once cleared was a sterile void that would benefit in future from random encounters to keep players engaged. More mission types and better availability would also definitely help in this respect.

I won't go as far as to say I'm hyped for the full release as there are many unknowns such as monetization, mission types and endgame content that are still unclear, monetisation being the biggest concern. (If the devs introduce anything that constitutes pay to win I won't be touching this with a bargepole but as there is no mention of a PVP mode, yet, this may not be an issue). 

Having said that, I really enjoyed the time I spent playing, so call me optimistic.

At the end of the day it's going to be F2P. people will have no financial barriers to prevent them installing, playing for a while and making their own minds up.

hmm...

My first few hours were quite fun, but the scaling and weapon variety quickly became dull. The objectives were even less varied than Warframe's to be quite honest. Even with the Warframe-copied modding system, the abilities felt underpowered and not worth using much. I felt like the game was just a rip-off of Warframe and Destiny 2 chucked into Unreal Engine. I had no idea who Nexon was before the game, but after looking them up, I don't really plan on playing this game at all, especially when the first taste I got included exclusive beta items locked behind immense grind in a beta that was only around for a few days. No thanks.

Edited by Voltage
  • Like 4

On 2023-09-27 at 11:19 PM, Amolistic. said:

yeah but some features do look like the devs are serious addicts of warframe and destiny so I think that counts?

But I do agree its Nexon, gotta be careful.

It definitely has similarities. But when I played it, it didn't make me feel like I'd ever pick it over warframe or destiny, at most play as a side game to those (though been enjoying synced more for that to be honest)

It's possible this is one of their games that wont be straight up disgusting, but I've been burned hard by them so am adamant about them being scum (purchasing a permanent $80 item in a game a few months before they removed it entirely from the game, was refunded like $10 worth of nexon coins for it and then they added the item back in the game as a temporary purchase without giving it back to me, basically straight up stole $70 from me then they basically abandoned the game eventually selling it to others who ruined it further)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 2023-09-19 at 7:56 PM, Amolistic. said:

to Robie_Viejo: cool, but its like a raid-like thing so i really don't see much comparison to warframe as warframe is not really a boss-oriented game, maybe much more on destiny.

But if i take what i see now, orowyrms imo are actually better, visual wise and gameplay wise.

If it is a destiny thing, it is not even close, destiny have a lot of great raids it needs to compete with.

(at least from what I see, may differ)

thats a nice excuse but you only need to play the first descendant for one hour to grasp a end game goal not 100 days to realize you get powerfull but nothing changes.

On 2023-09-20 at 2:41 AM, Pakaku said:

Never played it, so my first impressions from the trailers...

• Looks like every other generic military sci-fi shooter out there, but artstyle preferences are subjective, and it does look good and presentable
  • looks like it plays just like Warframe, which is not a bad thing, I like real mobility, but seems like a copycat
  • sounds like the characters are going to be obnoxious rather than charming... at least Warframes shut up
  • It's F2P, so I'd be surprised if it wasn't monetised extremely harshly like most F2P games out there

I've had more than enough of my fill with these kinds of games just by playing Warframe, so I can't say it's drawing me in from first-impressions alone, and good gameplay won't be worth putting up with poor characters or bad monetisation

it looks like any other game i can smell salt here someone told this guy the game was better than warframe and made him mad,

Its not really similar to warframe sure it has mods like warframe and 4 abilities so it may look similar but its way more tactical than that, lets be honest warframe is a chaotic mess without a proper endgame so bad that it has to rely on customization and made the whole game about it,

the fact that the descendants have personalities and distinct playstyles that go past a set of 4 abilities and one passive must be triggering to you, softly pat on the back now now... sure you cant bullet jump and wall walk err my mistake wall jump like a ninja sure but you cant also use grappling hook in warframe not that you need it and lets be honest the hook looks awesome, and the ways you can use it put bulled jump and wall walking to shame, the art and graphics are obviously superior lets not even argue about that fact you play a game that hasn't figured out how hair works in their engine in the past 11 years,

last will it be heavily monetized? sure but maybe but during the beta i havent seen a limit character slots limit mod slots limit weapon slots limit we didnt have companions yet in the game maybe but they are working on it descendants took hours to build not days which is something so hard to DE to do my guess is that sure it will be monetized but i hope its not has much as warframe.

• Like 1

Kinda late to the party here, but I did play the closed beta (or whatever it was, I don't even remember) on steam.

Honestly, it just seems like someone tried to merge D2 and Warframe, but ended up with a Garry's Mod add-on. Everything just feels shallow.

Edited by o0Despair0o

Just now, o0Despair0o said:

Kinda late to the party here, but I did play the closed beta (or whatever it was, I don't even remember) on steam.

Honestly, it just seems like someone tried to merke D2 and Warframe, but ended up with a Garry's Mod add-on. Everything just feels shallow.

Agreed, it just felt super forgettable, no soul if that makes sense.

• 1 month later...