Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Crackhead Pace of Modern Warframe

Mr.Lube

Perhaps I'm simply being nostalgic, but I have been feeling as if the pace of modern day Warframe to be a bit troubling (not to be dramatic). I find myself missing those moments to stop and "smell the roses" if I may. Warframe is truly a beautiful game and I find it a shame that so much of it is rushed through at a breakneck speed and intensity as if efficiency rules all.

I'm genuinely curious if anyone else feels as I do; this is not intended to stir up S#&$. Please leave your thoughts below!

🙂💗

• Like 7

I tend to just make my own time to look at the beauty of the game.

The majority of content in the game I'll play solo first just so I can experience it without having to keep the pace with a squad.

This is even more true for Quests. In the 1999 section there's a Wally cameo that I imagine most players who rushed through the quest probably missed.

I will say the new tileset is pretty hectic though, was trying to figure out how to get some hidden loot in a Murmur section of the new tileset and it felt like enemies wouldn't give me even a few seconds of rest, and that was after I had completed the Extermination task.

• Like 3

I'm going to have to agree with you, but it's an unfortunate consequence of many factors that create a vicious loop. Lots of it is the way players play, but then also how DE designs farms. DE designs farms with this breakneck speed in mind, ...  and you see where this is going.

There are some things that could be addressed though, such as Razorwing Blitz. It's basically the Maiming Strike of movement speed. There's no reason it needs to be leagues faster than Volt's Speed or Zephyr's Turbulence. It's kind of silly to have a movement ability be so broken, that you need to limit your power strength to be able to control the damn thing.

I will say I do play this way often, but that's because movement is what really keeps me enjoying this game. There is just nothing like flying through tilesets as Nova with Wormhole. :D

Edited by Voltage
  • Like 5

Play solo when you want to look around. I took way longer than needed doing the Whispers quest so I could explore and worked out most of the secret rooms and such. I'm still playing missions in the area solo for now so I can soak it in. Then I won't be worried when I'm in a group and we're whizzing through at 100 miles an hour.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Voltage said:

There are some things that could be addressed though, such as Razorwing Blitz. It's basically the Maiming Strike of movement speed. There's no reason it needs to be magnitudes faster than Volt's Speed or Zephyr's Turbulence.

Always felt like Titania had some sort of selective favouritism.

Titania can use any subsume while in Razorwing Blitz along with some of the most flexible movement in the game outside of Warframe parkour.

Meanwhile, Yareli is rather jank on Merulina and can't activate subsumes while on it nor can you mod Merulina, and Hildryn...just...Everything about Hildryn's "flight"

• Like 2

I generally like to take my time as well, which is why I kinda dislike the "Murmur Breaches" that occur throughout the new tileset. Feels like I can't take more than 10 seconds to observe the scenery without having to either fight a gaggle of Murmur enemies or run away to stop them spawning, even on an Exterminate where I've already hit the enemy quota.

Edited by Corvid
  • Like 1

The "problem" is that most players are well beyond the point of seeing something for the first time in-game.

That Grinner Galleon you're on? Been there a thousand times, bathroom's that way ->

That overhauled Corpus ship tileset? I was there when it was added, know it well.

That horrible cluttered infested ship tileset? It's a pain to navigate, just let me out.

PoE? Been there, done that.

Orb Vallis? Same difference.

Deimos? Yup.

Zariman? Please.

The new tileset we just got? Zariman 2.0, nothing to see here after the first run.

You name it. If it's been there for more than a day, most people already looked at all there is to see.

And when you're running through the same places over and over again, you stop caring about the novelty of the place and just want to get done whatever it is you're doing.

Like, I still think PoE looks great, but good lord, I've ran, jumped and flown all over the place more often than I care to count. I have no reason to stop and smell the same, static rose for the hundredth time.

Edited by o0Despair0o
Ship with T, oops
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, o0Despair0o said:

-Snip-

It's easy to assume there's nothing new to see if you only take one look and then run around blindly.

I still occasionally notice environmental details that I'd never spotted before, even in tilesets that have been in the game for years.

Edited by Corvid
  • Like 6

27 minutes ago, o0Despair0o said:

-snip-

17 minutes ago, Corvid said:

It's easy to assume there's nothing new to see if you only take one look and then run around blindly.

I still occasionally notice environmental details that I'd never spotted before, even in tilesets that have been in the game for years.

I agree with both of you here. There is something to the repetitive nature of the game that discourages exploration and enjoying the moment for sure. But I also find myself stumbling across new oddities in old tilesets from time to time still. Perhaps a discussion of the need for such a repetitive gameplay loop is in order......🙄

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hrodgrim said:

I can't stand multiplayer unless it's some kind of stationary mode. I'm not going to suffer being stuck on every other polygon with the game's disconnected locomotion system.

I think I understand what you're getting at but could you elaborate?

• Like 1

Given the choice between chasing the efficiency I was once led to believe I had to chase, and doing whatever I want and letting it take however long it takes, I’ve opted a long time ago for the second choice and haven’t looked back (if anything, when I do play like I used to, I scurry back ASAP to the fun stuff)

• Like 1

Just now, (PSN)SABRETOOTH1971 said:

I take my time with warframe; I don't see the facination to see and own everything right that minute. I've not even completed the new story yet or nodes. No hurry. Just let everyone get experienced with it and then go into to it knowing the other 3 players know what they're are doing and I learn slowly but surely. I don't care to struggle to understand mechanics of objectives,I put all that crap behind me when I use to run Raids in Destiny, trying over and over to learn the mechanics, when a few months of waiting lets me learn the cheese or easiest way to complete them from youtube vids.

Besides, we know that DE will rebalance the game, make it less grindym and increase rewards when everyone one else will be running the missions over and over again becuase they have to have it all now!

Yes, Oxium farming exactly.

Just now, Mr.Lube said:

Perhaps a discussion of the need for such a repetitive gameplay loop is in order......🙄

You're 10 years late for that discussion. 

DE is certainly addressing this with Soulframe though. I am part of the preludes pre-pre-pre-alpha (did I have enough pre's Steve?), and the environment is absolutely incredible. That is with multiple graphical issues that will be addressed later and a fairly restricted playable area. Most of that comes from the core mechanics being a lot slower, as well as the insane sound design that gets you lost in the nature that was presented.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

Given the choice between chasing the efficiency I was once led to believe I had to chase, and doing whatever I want and letting it take however long it takes, I’ve opted a long time ago for the second choice and haven’t looked back (if anything, when I do play like I used to, I scurry back ASAP to the fun stuff)

I'm with you %100. This aint no competitive multiplayer game...it's a damn fantasy PvE! What's with this starving temptation for efficiency before everything else??

1 minute ago, Voltage said:

You're 10 years late for that discussion. 

DE is certainly addressing this with Soulframe though. I am part of the preludes pre-pre-pre-alpha (did I have enough pre's Steve?), and the environment is absolutely incredible. That is with multiple graphical issues that will be addressed later and a fairly restricted playable area. Most of that comes from the core mechanics being a lot slower, as well as the insane sound design that gets you lost in the nature that was presented.

I am an optimist and a true Warframe fan at heart 😁. It's never too late.....maybe...

44 minutes ago, Hobie-wan said:

Play solo when you want to look around. I took way longer than needed doing the Whispers quest so I could explore and worked out most of the secret rooms and such. I'm still playing missions in the area solo for now so I can soak it in. Then I won't be worried when I'm in a group and we're whizzing through at 100 miles an hour.

Of course Solo is always an option. It's just that part of me wishes that I didn't need to, the co-op is a big part of Warframe for me.

1 minute ago, Mr.Lube said:

I'm with you %100. This aint no competitive multiplayer game...it's a damn fantasy PvE! What's with this starving temptation for efficiency before everything else??

I don’t think it’s hard to see why people do it thinking they’re only being logical.

Isn’t that what you’re complaining about though…? That the game doesn’t force you to stop and smell the roses?

• Like 1

Just now, (NSW)Greybones said:

I don’t think it’s hard to see why people do it thinking they’re only being logical.

Isn’t that what you’re complaining about though…? That the game doesn’t force you to stop and smell the roses?

Well, I would never want the game to force anything, that never goes well. 

Also I completely understand why efficiency is important considering the grind and repetition. I would just love to recapture and share that feeling of exploration and uncertainty that players got almost 10 years ago, it was truly a spectacle and certainly hooked players to get them to stick around this long.

52 minutes ago, Mr.Lube said:

I'm genuinely curious if anyone else feels as I do; this is not intended to stir up S#&$. Please leave your thoughts below!

🙂💗

Even the most fragrant roses lose their appeal after a hundred sniffs.. That sounds weird but i know it's a good point nonetheless..

Personally this is why I like solo exterminations so much, because i can go as fast or as slow as i like, and this latest tileset is just too damn beautiful to speed through, i actually WANT to find all the vocas and such and spend time there, unlike on the Zariman, which is too damn grey lol.

1 minute ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

Even the most fragrant roses lose their appeal after a hundred sniffs.. That sounds weird but i know it's a good point nonetheless..

Personally this is why I like solo exterminations so much, because i can go as fast or as slow as i like, and this latest tileset is just too damn beautiful to speed through, i actually WANT to find all the vocas and such and spend time there, unlike on the Zariman, which is too damn grey lol.

Yes of course...time dulls all...

But it's beautiful to hear that the love for exploration is still out there!

8 minutes ago, Mr.Lube said:

Well, I would never want the game to force anything, that never goes well. 

Also I completely understand why efficiency is important considering the grind and repetition. I would just love to recapture and share that feeling of exploration and uncertainty that players got almost 10 years ago, it was truly a spectacle and certainly hooked players to get them to stick around this long.

Choice is always there if you want; I’ve found my sense of exploration through buildcrafting and gameplay from the modless baseline and anything I can combine with it while accidentally or intentionally jumping into fights that reveal new ways for my kit dynamic to synergise or shift how I play according to the situation, though I’m still discovering little alcoves on tilesets I’ve been through hundreds of times as well and in general am incentivised to poke around for collectables or resources between fight clusters. Cannot stress how much worse and limited the game was while I was only chasing efficiency (though in moderation it’s kind of okay and sometimes fun)

Edited by (NSW)Greybones
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mr.Lube said:

I think I understand what you're getting at but could you elaborate?

Moving around at high speeds in this game is extremely unpleasant unless you're in one of the few open world areas. The reason for this is the disconnect between general map design and how locomotion functions. The worst part of this is how you ALWAYS get stuck in level geometry when flinging yourself around at high speeds. Eris, Kuva Fortress, and Europa maps are particularly infuriating. Even on the open maps, you still get stuck on tiny things sticking out of the ground. Try rushing around the plains as Hydroid using your 2nd power, or sliding around at high speeds as Nezha on Deimos. The map design in this game prohibits actually going fast under penalty of getting extremely pissed off from getting stuck every 5 steps.

4 minutes ago, Hrodgrim said:

Moving around at high speeds in this game is extremely unpleasant unless you're in one of the few open world areas. The reason for this is the disconnect between general map design and how locomotion functions. The worst part of this is how you ALWAYS get stuck in level geometry when flinging yourself around at high speeds. Eris, Kuva Fortress, and Europa maps are particularly infuriating. Even on the open maps, you still get stuck on tiny things sticking out of the ground. Try rushing around the plains as Hydroid using your 2nd power, or sliding around at high speeds as Nezha on Deimos. The map design in this game prohibits actually going fast under penalty of getting extremely pissed off from getting stuck every 5 steps.

Not a bad point. Slinging around with Bulletjump with zero consideration is surprisingly discouraged by many map designs; a blend of running and bulletjumping and general acrobatics off of walls and through the air leads to a much nicer navigation experience.

And not just map design, but if a player just bulletjumps everywhere, they might end up deep in a group of enemies and ambushed from all sides and find that they die really rapidly before they peg what’s going on, versus a more-considered approach that can let someone bring more options and alternative builds to the mission. And blow past resources of interest, displace themselves too dramatically and end up too close or too far or too exposed or too hidden while fighting, or otherwise flop around like a newly-born foal no matter how practiced they are

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hrodgrim said:

You are completely right. I feel the exact same way, I fear the mob when I say this but I would love a less "meth-head sonic" approach to Warframe movement. Something with a focus on smooth transitions and momentum that could be easily visually understood. Warframe is not fun to watch with all the bouncing around.