Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Question about Expansions (and Merry Xmas!)

Colldbllue

Question

15 answers to this question

Merry Christmas, new Tenno.

There are only a couple of instances of content being removed from general use in Warframe. Two of them are based on the environments, where a 'Corpus Ship' redesign has removed almost all uses of the old Corpus ship environment in the game (you can still see it on a couple of Quests, but not anywhere else), and where the Quest 'The New War' has replaced a couple of environments on Earth and Venus with post-war versions. These are largely cosmetic and do nothing to harm anyone.

The other instance is the old 'Trials' (also known as Raids) for 8-man squads. These were considered too buggy to keep updating with the low player engagement, so DE have taken them out and have told us that they'll be replacing them in the future with something that's geared for modern Warframe.

As it stands, all updates for Warframe are additions to the base game, with expansions on existing areas just as common as new areas being implemented.

• Like 2

There are events that are briefly added and never return, but all rewards from those events for the most part will eventually trickle back into other areas of the game after a few years. Modern events have been really good with everything returning, but some old stuff such as the Operation Quick Steel ship decoration, or Skull Badges from the leaderboards have never returned, but the vast majority either stays or gets re-added. There has never been Destiny levels of content removal like axing entire campaigns or planets, and especially not stuff that you paid for.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Colldbllue said:

When updates / expansions are implemented... is content kept? or is content replaced?

As @Birdframe_Prime said, in bigger scale they are mostly addition not removal/replacement.

However there are still smaller content that are changed/removed. There used to be amalgam mod that shorten rolls - now it makes them bigger. There is no item that does the same (you can use block for this). Xaku used to disarm enemies without restriction. Now you can only disarm N enemies, affected by range (afair). There are frame reworks. Grendel used to eat much more enemies. Now it can eat only 5.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, quxier said:

As @Birdframe_Prime said, in bigger scale they are mostly addition not removal/replacement.

However there are still smaller content that are changed/removed. There used to be amalgam mod that shorten rolls - now it makes them bigger. There is no item that does the same (you can use block for this). Xaku used to disarm enemies without restriction. Now you can only disarm N enemies, affected by range (afair). There are frame reworks. Grendel used to eat much more enemies. Now it can eat only 5.

That is very likely not what he is refering to since that is just common balance. The amalgam mod is for instance still there, it just works differently, Xaku and Grendel are also still there. What he refers to is likely regarding playable content, which some games tend to remove, like PoE and Destiny, though in PoEs case, leagues well recieved can become permanent parts of the game later down the line.

But in WFs case the only thing that gets removed regularly would be events. But they can or will come back, depending on which event it is. Scarlet Spear however will likely never come back by the sound of it, but something like Plague Star has returned several times and will keep returning most likely. Then there are a few other things that have gotten permanently removed as mentioned. But yeah as said, it is mostly on a cosmetic level, since the content itself is still there in the same old modes that occupied the old tile version. The biggest changes brought by the cosmetic revamps have been the defense/interception node on Io Jupiter and the defense/interception on corpus ship tiles.

We've also gotten some things added permanently as part of the game that were previously very rarely occuring events, like the Acolytes in Steel Path that were formerly only appearing in an event that came back once in 10 blue moons or something.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:
2 hours ago, quxier said:

That is very likely not what he is refering to since that is just common balance.

Maybe, but I wanted to mention it.

51 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

The amalgam mod is for instance still there, it just works differently, Xaku and Grendel are also still there. What he refers to is likely regarding playable content, which some games tend to remove, like PoE and Destiny, though in PoEs case, leagues well recieved can become permanent parts of the game later down the line.

The items are there but they function (completely) different. Amalgam is still there but there is no mod/item for shorter rolls. Name had stayed but core functionality were removed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, quxier said:

The items are there but they function (completely) different. Amalgam is still there but there is no mod/item for shorter rolls. Name had stayed but core functionality were removed.

Amalgam still functions the same for me. It takes gathers dust just the same in my mod station. 😛

• Like 1

4 hours ago, (PSN)jaggerwanderer said:

If you played WoW think of it is like a new content patch every so often. No expansion planned yet.

Cool! For some reason I read a PR article and they kept calling 1999 a "new expansion" ... but now I know completely w/ the WoW analogy thanks :)

&& Thank you to everyone who replied! I get the jist now :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:
2 hours ago, quxier said:

Amalgam still functions the same for me. It takes gathers dust just the same in my mod station. 😛

Unless they changed it (again):

- Amalgam mod before change used to make rolls shorter. Not huge difference but noticeable if you play a lot with it.

- Amalgam mod after change make rolls longer.

So if your amalgam mod make your rolls smaller then it's probably bug.

3 hours ago, quxier said:

- Amalgam mod before change used to make rolls shorter. Not huge difference but noticeable if you play a lot with it.

I mean, that's because it was objectively a downgrade. You were increasing roll speed without affecting distance. This meant you were rolling a shorter distance with less momentum out of a roll. Amalgam Barrel Diffusion and Mirage's Passive were changed so that the increase in speed also increases the length, meaning it is now a proper parkour bonus.

In relation to what OP was asking, that's just the nature of a live service game. Changes come along that sometimes make previous features obsolete, irrelevant, or destroyed. It is what it is.

Edited by Voltage

1 hour ago, Voltage said:
5 hours ago, quxier said:

I mean, that's because it was objectively a downgrade. You were increasing roll speed without affecting distance. This meant you were rolling a shorter distance with less momentum out of a roll. Amalgam Barrel Diffusion and Mirage's Passive were changed so that the increase in speed also increases the length, meaning it is now a proper parkour bonus.

It was "subjectively" only. Rolls has other characteristics than changing position. It has 75% damage reduction and with Rolling guard you become immortal for some time. When we had rolls that took less time we had more time to take action (e.g. shoot).

1 hour ago, quxier said:

It was "subjectively" only. Rolls has other characteristics than changing position. It has 75% damage reduction and with Rolling guard you become immortal for some time. When we had rolls that took less time we had more time to take action (e.g. shoot).

What you're describing was insignificant due to many other factors outside of the mod. It was a fraction of a second. It is designed to be a parkour mod anyways. It was also objectively changed for the better thinking long-term and with all the changes we've received to shields and other mechanics being added.

Edited by Voltage

9 hours ago, Voltage said:
10 hours ago, quxier said:

What you're describing was insignificant due to many other factors outside of the mod.

I disagree. The difference were good enough.

9 hours ago, Voltage said:

It is designed to be a parkour mod anyways. It was also objectively changed for the better thinking long-term and with all the changes we've received to shields and other mechanics being added.

Not really. When I want to travel long distances I use bullet jump. Rolls isn't used for that. Look at fight with Angel. If I roll from attacks I find myself much farther than I want from Angel. I don't know what to say if you still think it's objective stuff...