Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

An Idea for Modding Primary and Secondary Weapons

One reason why I think players like using the melee weapons more is because they are easier to mod due to Stances, since they increase modding capacity, like Auras do for Warframes. What if we had something similar for primary and secondary weapons? Maybe mods that add unique effects, like a firemode changer (Semi-Auto, Auto, Burst) for most of them, a Vampiric addon for bows/thrown secondaries, a "charged shot" for snipers, or an Shell for shotguns (Slug, Beanbag, Buckshot). If we had something like that, it would make more playstyles for primary and secondary weapons and increase mod capacity, making them a bit easier to mod without sinking a lot of Forma into a weapon. I am also open to more ideas, as I had trouble with coming up with ideas for bows and the throwing secondaries.

• Like 5

All Stances do is save you one or two Forma. It helps melee because of the Sacrificial mods, which would otherwise require a Umbra Forma, especially since Sacrificial Steel is almost mandatory on a lot of weapons.

Other weapon types do not have this unique situation and you rarely get into a situation where you don't have enough capacity even while using a correct polarity Forma in every mod slot. It can happen but I'd say it's not a huge issue for now.

That said, I would welcome a option to turn semi auto weapons into full auto without having to waste a otherwise valuable mod slot or face a reduction or a change in the weapons damage stats. With the amount of enemies we fight, semi auto gets annoying to use real quick.

Edited by (PSN)Sentiel
  • Like 1

if you use only primed mods or high capacity mods on pistols which has the most good mods

you can never put them all in even if all slots have the right forma if all have like 14-16 drain

only like kuva/tenet weapons would be able to do so, still a rare case

but "aura" like mods for primary/secondary weapons would be nice for modding at capacity limit

example: bit more capacity would be nice

https://imgur.com/a/oF8XAVK

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gojira_Tanaka said:

as I had trouble with coming up with ideas for bows

Draw weight mods could work. Sacrifice charge speed for increased damage/punch through and a straighter flight arc, or vice versa. Could even have one to make other bows handle like the Daikyu and Lenz (so no uncharged shots).

1 hour ago, Gojira_Tanaka said:

the throwing secondaries

Perhaps adding different throwing patterns? One for regular throws, and a few that let you throw multiple knives at once in horizontal, vertical, and conal spreads. Or do away with the former and make the variants alt-fires (or an override in the case of the Fusilai).

Edited by Corvid
  • Like 2

Personally I don't see how free capacity makes things easier to mod when the average weapon with nothing but a Catalyst can fill all but one mod slot. Really giving guns more capacity would just make Forma something you'd only "actually" need to slot a Riven or swapping out for Primed mods on secondaries. And really modding has nothing to do with players preferring melee.

Though as for the idea itself absolutely not. Changing the entire firing mode of a weapon would just homogenize the overwhelming majority of guns. At that point new weapons would more so than ever just be rereleases of older weapons with buffed stats. With the only distinguishing feature of any gun being if they have an alt fire or not.

• Like 1

Not sure why I would want stances for a gun when there are already so many different guns out there with different firing mechanisms in the first place. If you want a charged sniper, there's the Lanka (the Drakgoon for shotguns), and if you want more of a shell shotgun, the Astilla might count (although it's more of a shrapnel/AoE shotgun) or the Sporelacer kitgun if you want more of a grenade lobber

Melee is actually the weapon style I find boring, since they almost always amount to the same "hitting with a club" combat, unless it has special gimmicks like throwing projectiles. You can only make swinging a stick around interesting so many times, probably why we only have as many stances as it is

Edited by Pakaku
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, trst said:

the average weapon with nothing but a Catalyst can fill all but one mod slot

If you're using nothing but unranked basic mods, maybe. But that statement is outright false if you're using proper mods that are ranked.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

If you're using nothing but unranked basic mods, maybe. But that statement is outright false if you're using proper mods that are ranked.

Most weapons have at least one polarity which most often is a Madurai. In which case they can slot two Galvanized mods (Multi + Status), two Crit mods, and three dual damage + status mods. Paired with a gun arcane (effectively a free upgrade) and you have a weapon suitable for all non-endurance content on offer (this build is even perfectly fine for Circuit runs). And if said weapon comes with a Vazarin Polarity it can take the same build by swapping one dual stat mod with an unranked variant with virtually the same performance.

Also a weapon with no polarities can use that build with three non-maxed dual stat mods or one unranked with two empty mod slots. Still attaining reasonable performance for a near zero investment build.

Now you can argue all you want about the performance of such a build but that has nothing to do with my statement. Other than this build is, in-fact, good enough on an average weapon to solo everything in the game that isn't pointless endurance type content.

I don't think adding more capacity for weapons is really a wise idea. 

Yes , you can't fit every single maxed primed mod on a weapon (and you really shouldn't) , but that is part of the balance check , granted balance overall in warframe is a joke but we don't really need more methods to break it further.

I am ok for some sort of " gun stance " is exilus , but not sure it needs to add capacity.

Edited by 0_The_F00l

• 4 weeks later...

One other reason I forgot to mention is also to maybe help out new players with modding weapons if they don't really have the money to put towards Platinum towards getting Forma and Orokin Catalysts. I remember when I was younger and new to the game, I didn't have my own income or access to a parent's credit card, basically being completely Free to Play. Modding Primary and Secondary weapons was a struggle. It would make the game a little easier when introducing new players.