Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

VIDEO: Millennial Gamer Dad On Jade Shadow Quest - This feels wrong

vor 22 Minuten schrieb latetier:

no one is asking for a redesign. op said in the video it makes him uncomfortable. and wishes there was a toggle so that it doesnt make him feel uncomfortable. and people are up in arms against that opinion. who is the weird one here? the guy asking for a simple toggle, or the people who are trying to say his opinion or feeling is invalid?

The guy asking for a toggle. Games, cinema, writing all seems to go downhill because creatives and directors play it safe to avoid hurt feelings. I tell you something. My mother died when I was very young from cancer. Watching Guardians of Galaxy 1 and seeing the scene in the beginning hit hard. Because she also died in a hospital but unlike the main character in the movie, I could not say goodbye. But I didn't make a video or go to a forum to demand that any DVD/blue ray release would have trigger warnings or a toggle, just for me.

• Like 11

8 hours ago, latetier said:

its a pregnant warframe. it feels weird because people will fetishize pregnancy as they already fetishize everything else in this community. and that is WIERD AF. it is that simple.

A lot of Warframes have themes or concepts that can be very fetishy, but the game isn't trying to make fetishism a focal point

The part that is weird to me is when people fetishize the character despite the fact that the character has gone through severe body horror trauma, before literally becoming wrapped up in a pretty metallic shell, and there's the fact that the Orokin were such a bunch of psychopaths to want to do things like that.

So it makes me wonder how surface-level said fetishizing really is, because in some ways it's almost like an ironic dose of anti-fetish fuel depending on how much you understand the lore

Edited by Pakaku
  • Like 2

51分钟前 , Prexades 说:

The guy asking for a toggle. Games, cinema, writing all seems to go downhill because creatives and directors play it safe to avoid hurt feelings. I tell you something. My mother died when I was very young from cancer. Watching Guardians of Galaxy 1 and seeing the scene in the beginning hit hard. Because she also died in a hospital but unlike the main character in the movie, I could not say goodbye. But I didn't make a video or go to a forum to demand that any DVD/blue ray release would have trigger warnings or a toggle, just for me.

That's what would happen when people's "feeling" was put above anything else, including common sense, logic, and creativity. They believe they are the center of the universe and demand respect from all corners of life around them.

Offensive this. Uncomfortable that. This game is rated god damn 17+ M+ and I thought people must be at least a mature young adult before creating an account. And here we are, a so-called dad feeling uncomfortable about a fictional character.

I mean, Excal Umbra killed his own son and you dare to force me play as him as the main character in a compulsory cinematic quest, that also makes me very uncomfortable. DE please cancel him thank you.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, latetier said:

u just said u didnt care. why are u here if u dont care?

Cause there are those of us who have zero problems with jade and by right can make our voices heard.

So that not only voices from.. one side of the fence is heard.

I personally couldnt care less if jade is or isnt pregnant. Shes a fictional character. Ppl really need to learn to sepperate reality from fiction.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Prexades said:

Loved the show and Andromeda was hot as a ship avatar. But the writing dropped further and further with each season.

I agree it was a brilliant show but in the later seasons, it's like the writers were on LSD.

12 minutes ago, -ShadowRadiance- said:

Cause there are those of us who have zero problems with jade and by right can make our voices heard.

So that not only voices from.. one side of the fence is heard.

I personally couldnt care less if jade is or isnt pregnant. Shes a fictional character. Ppl really need to learn to sepperate reality from fiction.

Pretty much

1 hour ago, RichardKam said:

That's what would happen when people's "feeling" was put above anything else, including common sense, logic, and creativity. They believe they are the center of the universe and demand respect from all corners of life around them.

Offensive this. Uncomfortable that. This game is rated god damn 17+ M+ and I thought people must be at least a mature young adult before creating an account. And here we are, a so-called dad feeling uncomfortable about a fictional character.

I mean, Excal Umbra killed his own son and you dare to force me play as him as the main character in a compulsory cinematic quest, that also makes me very uncomfortable. DE please cancel him thank you.

Yep

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Prexades said:

so you think a toggle in a video game would ruin the story for you? is that really what your narrative is? 🤣

2 hours ago, RichardKam said:

you can have whatever opinion you want.

so can the op.

so can i.

your opinion does not get to silence anyone elses opinion.

Edited by latetier
  • Like 1

24分钟前 , latetier 说:

you can have whatever opinion you want.

so can the op.

so can i.

your opinion does not get to silence anyone elses opinion.

Stop the "I am being oppressed" stuff. No one is silencing you or anyone. You can type whatever you wanted to say and press the little button on the bottom right hand corner and let everyone see your opinion.

Just don't act surprised when people make fun of the toggle stuff because it was really funny.

• Like 7

vor einer Stunde schrieb latetier:

so you think a toggle in a video game would ruin the story for you? is that really what your narrative is? 🤣

Because it is never just a toggle. For a toggle to be put in someone must have double or triple checked the writing or the content before it is produced and released. In order to avoid controversies the content is more likely to be removed or completely changed. If you think I am making this up, let me tell you there is an entire consulting industry of people looking for things that someone can deem offensive in a creative product and then 'suggest' changes on behalf of the producing company.

Imagine a honey nut treat, that many people enjoy. Now someone complaints about the treat and its smell because they are allergic to nuts.  Honey is an animal product so probably not going well with the more hardcore vegans, so honey and nuts are removed. Sugar too, because sugar is bad as well. Chocolate, there are cocoa plantations with near slave like labor so remove it too. Same with Gluten because some people are allergic. The finished not-honey-or-nut treat is then marketed as the ultimate non-offensive treat. What happens is that the intended 'modern audience' rejects it because it is totally bland and the core audience hates it with passion.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Prexades said:

Because it is never just a toggle. For a toggle to be put in someone must have double or triple checked the writing or the content before it is produced and released. In order to avoid controversies the content is more likely to be removed or completely changed. If you think I am making this up, let me tell you there is an entire consulting industry of people looking for things that someone can deem offensive in a creative product and then 'suggest' changes on behalf of the producing company.

Imagine a honey nut treat, that many people enjoy. Now someone complaints about the treat and its smell because they are allergic to nuts.  Honey is an animal product so probably not going well with the more hardcore vegans, so honey and nuts are removed. Sugar too, because sugar is bad as well. Chocolate, there are cocoa plantations with near slave like labor so remove it too. Same with Gluten because some people are allergic. The finished not-honey-or-nut treat is then marketed as the ultimate non-offensive treat. What happens is that the intended 'modern audience' rejects it because it is totally bland and the core audience hates it with passion.

Yes, it is the way on this globe called Earth, it's quite sad how this generation is going.

So to summarise it in my way if you don't like a TV show STFU and switch channels don't send in 500 emails complaining about it, and don't be a vegan complaining about my BBQs in my yard.  CJ1Iq.gif 

Disclaimer: Not directed at the OP a forum opinion is quite acceptable.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Prexades said:

Because it is never just a toggle.

that is what he asked for because it makes him uncomfortable. not for you. not for all of gaming. nor for the entire planet. stop projecting your fears onto his opinion.

Edited by latetier

1 minute ago, latetier said:

that is what he asked for. stop projecting your fears onto others.

We should have more Toggles in this game IMO. :wink: 

I don't know why DE don't just build it into the game that everything has a tick box next to it that we can tick to turn the toggle function off and on. :tongue: EgJTt.gif 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, latetier said:

that is what he asked for because it makes him uncomfortable. not for you. not for all of gaming. nor for the entire planet. stop projecting your fears onto his opinion.

Maybe they need therapy, the devs shouldn't have to sacrifice their art and vision because of people's personal emotional states

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Joylesstuna said:

I really don't understand people. You guys are the ones making it weird. 

As per usual. Utter children...

No, not so much OP, this proposal was... reasonable at least. 

4 hours ago, Hexerin said:

Just wait until you step outside and touch grass. Maybe you'll realize that there's Nowis all around the world. Or you'll just remain a bigoted piece of trash that wishes depression and suffering on others because of a warped perspective of reality borne of being a chronically online basement dweller who hates themselves but can't come to terms with it.

I love that in order to make this accusation you literally had to erase me talking about an actual person in the situation your describing (someone who is 20+, but looks 8) and everything about me talking about 'They're a consenting adult, they can do whatever they like'.

It's almost like you're not interested in actually advocating for these people... or perhaps you read it wrong.

To put it simply:

Real human people just exist. This is a morally neutral state, regardless of their apparent age for whatever reason.

Characters are intentionally designed. As such, the creation of a character is an action. And when people do actions that aren't themselves morally wrong, but have implications towards morally wrong actions, other people have a right to be upset about it.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

If you're a mental case, sure. Seek help.

33 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

It's almost like you're not interested in actually advocating for these people...

If it makes anyone uncomfortable, don't play her. There's over fifty other frames you can play.

But I would ask you to do some introspection as to why it is that, when playing a frame whose visual cues are taken from the eldritch, seraphic chorus, with floating eyeballs and creepy amounts of wings, it's the presence of a swollen belly that makes you squick. 

• Like 6

I did not watch the entire video as the core statement/request can be taken from the thread.

I will try not to be judgemental here, because - I'll be honest - IF there was toggle function that lets you remove the belly, I'd use it.

BUT I am aware that the problem I have with it is a "Me -Thing" ... Wanna say that I am aware, the problem is me. Not Jade's pregnancy.
I don't like babies.. But they are normal - It is me who's feelings about the whole ordeal involving pregnancy is not normal.

And not in 1000 years would I have the.... insolence (No offense... ) to demand for them to make changes because I* feel "uncomfortable".

*You say that it's around half of the players having a problem with Jade's belly. I don't think so? This post is literally the first complaint I've seen.

ALSO I'd like to add that this reminds me of a forum post from several years ago:

A User wanted warframes to be gender swap-able (which is a valid request, unless....). I think at that point Mesa was really up there in the meta. BUT said user did not want to play Mesa.
Why?
She's female - and, so he said - he, as a man, can't play female characters - it makes him feel uncomfortable.

and I am sure there is someone out there who's uncomfortable with Rhino's huge*** codpiece.
Secretly wishing for Rhino's codpiece to have a visible on /off toggle function.  .______.

See. What I am trying to say is.... If we have a problem with Jade's belly..... It might just be us.

And on a side note:

Millennial Gamer Dad

Why exactly does that matter? No srsly I am curious.

• Like 5