Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Frost: 2/5/2014

[DE]Rebecca

Hey everyone,

Making this post prior to U12 on PC's release (coming soon!), because as everything is coming together, there have been changes made to Frost's powers that ought to be shared and discussed for further review.

Changes:

Freeze (Codename Ice Blast internally): Comparable to Ember's Fireball in casting time and result of impact/damage.

Avalanche: Increased casting speed and increased damage.

Snowglobe: Now has health that is increased with fusion (currently: 1500,2500,3000,3500)

Snowglobe being a solely duration based skill created issues of viability of other frames in the "Defense" mission types, as well as a skew towards pace of gameplay.

The goal is to get Snowglobe, and Frost overall, in a place of power and action, but does not render gameplay optional, but we need everyone's experiences to get it right as we continue to make changes. 

Please discuss below your experiences with Frost and how you would balance his abilities with these changes in mind, as well as prepare to return to this thread after the Update has been deployed with further feedback.

Thanks, Tenno.

Clarification/FAQ 1: Will Strength Mods positively affect Snowglobes health after this change? Yes, they will!

Forgive my backlash, but to me this seems like a catastrophic failure.

Frost was my first farmed frame, and despite it having mostly S#&$ty abilities I loved it, it was fun to play, a nice tank and certainly not OP.

I've neglected using frost much outside of defence because of its low viability, so I sincerely agree it needs a change.

I've given thoughts on how I feel the abilities should be altered, who knows, maybe they'll get noticed, though probably not.

1st: fine with everything about it staying the same, just don't keep it single target, up the blast into a mid-large radius blast/spray that can freeze multiple targets for a certain time. (Affected by duration and range mods with range mods increasing the size of spray/blast)

2nd: works fine, do what it needs for better damage, upon hitting armor "the intense cold cracks armor, lower armor strength and" and with corpus, weakness shields ... (essentially 100% status chance for alternatives to corrosive proc and magnetic proc, but with frosty visual affects)

Affected by range for boosting length and width, plus the other obvious ones

3rd: was suggested earlier, but yeah, globe still on duration, becomes damage resistance, not damage ignore or health, affected by power strength and range and duration as always.

4th: works okay, just do what needs to be done to make damage more viable, higher default range, and all enemies that survive suffer a slow down affect with the number of seconds slowed down for correlating to the level of the ability.

Anyway, hope people like my ideas.

Please don't kill frost's only redeeming feature.

snowglobe was his only viable skill in any mode due to all his other abilites being lack luster

avalanche+ice wave cant even do decent damage at level 25-30

freeze isnt even considered unless for bosses

snowglobe should keep its no health as its a immobile skill you have to stay in it unlike rhino he can move while taking no damage unless your going to do that i say make it back to normal

there have been so many frost threads but i dont see any of what people have suggest in them to have been presented here

anyway if you suggestions here u go

How I would fix him by my opion would be

Freeze: aoe or cone effect which does not break on damage with hitscan

Ice wave: 100 percent slow proc with 25-50 percent slash proc or knockdown then leaves a floor of ice which slows

Avalanche: freeze all targets within area and slow targets that enter when casting

Snowglobe: make the slow effect extend as the globe gets bigger

Or if he needed a overhaul

name: blizzard
skill: 4
energy: 100
animation: like fireblast
duriation:10/15/20

effect: slows all targets entering the blizzard cant not be frozen once inside
        all targets inside are frozen for duration
allies: inside gain extra armour 20/30/40 armour increased by strength mod

cast: cant be casted till the end of the duration

name: ice prison
skill: 2
energy:50

animation: a block of ice levels up from the floor placing targets inside still able to shoot but can not move

duration:5/15/25
also only effects so many enemies 5/10 increased by power strength
animation:small ice lines form from frost touching the ground with his hand connecting to enemys and placing them in a block of ice

effect:enemys take ice damage over time: 200/400/600 per second
       enemys can still shoot however the block of ice is scaled by hp
       the shots fired inside the block by the enemys shoot back off the block of ice and hit them

cast:can be casted any amount of times however the casting last 5/10 seconds

name:
skill:1
energy:25
animation: frosts body

duriation:10/15secs or maybe by damage

effect:armour that reflects 30 percent of damage back to its host only enemys within range
       can not go above 30 percent
       any targets that are within range and damage frost take impact/slash damage 100/200/300 from the ice shards hit off of his body
       must be within 5 meters increased by range

cast: only use able once until ended

I would like to see something like this for his abilities

The Snow Globe is the only reason Frost can be the best and most important (necessary) in Defenses. Not only low level Defenses, all tipe of high level defenses (Outer terminus wave 50 for example)

The new changes give to Snow Globe a 3500 HP. Plus give us a innecessary FEAR with high level damage of any factions. Those can, now literally, kill in a few seconds the Snow Globe. For example in Outer terminus wave 50 Frost cast Snow Globe, and after a a couple of SECONDS Frost MUST recast again and again and again the snow globe after Snow Globe was destroyed.

I think the problem with this change is really was not intended to high levels enemies, the Defenses Missions are fun because are unlimited with the old Snow Globe system.

And now (after changes) the Defenses Missions have a limit.

His freeze ability should do splash damage like embers fireball. Also snowglobe needs to have health based upon enemy damage, i dont want to be trolled by teammates taking down my defense when im actually trying. Also if snowglobe now has health maybe a buff on the duration a bit?

@people that keep complaining that frost will be nerfed and useless.

hkbmav.gif

But seriously. He'll be fine. People pooped themselves over plenty of things that were changed before (DMG 2.0 anybody?) and time and time again they've either been fixed or people found new ways to make them amazing.

Seriously, Rhinoskin is modified by power mods. I WONDER IF FROST'S SNOWGLOBE WILL BE THE SAME?

Also, oh no! my snowglobe has gone down! What shall I do?! Oh, right. Recast and keep shooting.

Edited by -Vash-

Buffing his other abilities was not an acceptable tradeoff for nerfing snow globe, because snow globe was his only decent ability.  All of his other abilities @(*()$ suck, and still do, even with a higher damage tag tacked on.  You've made him entirely useless.

It's not even buffs that are in line with Frost's design. He's a utility frame and the "buff" he gets is boosting in damage? Hell, his first ability doesn't even DO crowd control anymore. It's just a glorified snowball.

one big reason rhino's IS threshold was a disaster was when they had it draw all aggro causing it to pop instantly. since globe is generally used over a cryopod in defense missions - it's pretty much the same thing. all enemies attack at once, gone instantly. history repeats itself.

as for other moves, only used freeze as a stopper on charging enemies like ancients so in my eyes any change is probably good. stacked serious power strength on avalanche before and still useless as a damage move so was again another stopper. barely used ice wave at all aside from that one corpus ship with the ramp to left of the cryopod, was ok but not great.

with alot of others in thinking globe was the real key point of this frame, after all - for an element power frame, his power is really weak.

hkbmav.gif

Also, oh no! my snowglobe has gone down! What shall I do?! Oh, right. Recast and keep shooting.

only now ul eventually have to stand still atop that cryopod and never move because all you will be doing is recasting that snowglobe over and over and over, most probably using the same frost setup every1 else will be forced to use, fleeting expertise/streamline + focus/blind rage + hp/shields + whatever little else we like.

some good old variety....

This is going to be a bad idea, i mean with the high levels this can be funny... for enemies.

The fact Snow Globe have a HP is a unnecessary change and everybody know that. Oh and one more thing...

ARE YOU CRAZY?!!

What about the endless Defenses missions? now have a limit (Frost, you are the limit now).

Recast and recast is going to make Frost a painful and sad consumer of ENERGY of a Snow Globe that lasts a couple of seconds with high level enemies. Good bye Outer Terminus.

only now ul eventually have to stand still atop that cryopod and never move because all you will be doing is recasting that snowglobe over and over and over, most probably using the same frost setup every1 else will be forced to use, fleeting expertise/streamline + focus/blind rage + hp/shields + whatever little else we like.

Nah, I'll probably turn snowglobe into emergency mode for when somebody goes down instead of protecting the cryopod. Making frost into a bruiser instead of a caster.

We shouldn't glorify people who only post with memes. But yes, you illustrate the problem very clearly here. Frost is now even MORE tied down to the pod while the problem of having turbo retards sprinting around the map and not giving a damn about the actual mission objective will still exist.

Edited by WharOne

Avalanche should keep enemies frozen for a bit after it is done. As for Snowglobe...... I assume this means we can only have one globe up at a time too?

That change to Snowglobe is gonna cripple him, in my opinion. It is a large target, that will take lots of hits. That will translate to very poor late game Survival and Defence use, as I have seen Rhinos have their Iron Skin slapped off by Ancients at the 30 minute mark in some survivals. And Napalms will officially be the worst night terrors for Frosts everywhere as they will drop Snowglobes in mere seconds.