The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

De, Please Please Do Not Do Business With Perfect World (Mega/hyper/ultrathread)

wendiGhoul

@ Letter13 from https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/256085-what-the-heck-is-happening/

It seems mostly like panic. News outlets like Joystiq and such don't have any actual factual evidence. 

Discussion regarding the PWE / DE thing should be directed at the threadnaught (that huge one).

No offense Letter13, but I disagree with the idea that is factless panic. People are basing this on a repeated trend of what has happened to the games PWE has interacted with before. Even if it's just a "small percentage of stock" being brought for now (evidence suggests otherwise), the possibility remains that PWE could influence the DEv's decisions and that causes legitimate concern.

Edited by ZephyrPhantom

What will happen if PW gets ahold of DE.

1.  Store will pop up immediately as you log in, telling you new deals or items in their store.

2.  Gone the daily log in bonus.

3. "Caches" or whatever their lockboxes will be called will drop 80% of the time from mobs instead of resources.

4. Credits -> platinum market trade, so players can have the illusion "see? you can still get it with in game money! Just keep farming more and more and more..."

5.  Crafting the best weapons will REQUIRE an item from the game store and cant be found anywhere else

6.  Powerful mods will be only accessable THROUGH the game store. Unabtainable anywhere else.

Ninjas pay with their wallets

I'm with most of the founders in this thread.

I gave my $250 to DE back in the day because I could see that this game had promise. The most compelling feature, the single fact that has made Warframe stand out and above many of the other FTP games out there is that gameplay relevant content is completely accessible without financial investment. This 'feature' gave players the choice to invest for convenience and aesthetics rather than progression. And the amazing art and thematic design is what compelled players to invest.

Now I'm not totally opposed to a merger with a bigger partner. DE has been somewhat swamped, with an explosion of playerbase much larger than likely was predicted. I'm simply concerned (as most of us are) that any shift in the free-to-play model will leave WF without that fairly unique perspective that players will invest because they want to, rather than feel they have to.

It's that FTP model which has lead me to recommend WF to all my friends, as much or more than the actual gameplay elements or level+art design. It's been a breath of fresh air in a FTP world focused on draining the playerbase through micro transactions. It's likely the cause of the massive growth and spread of WF.

I'll express my concerns, but keep my panic until the changes start to happen. I already feel DE has begun to lock content behind too high of a grindwall. If the cooperative with Perfect World causes a significant shift in the FTP model, as it has in the past, I will probably drop the game. I might pop in to look at new updates but I sure as hell won't be giving them any more money, and more importantly I'd stop recommending the game to friends - because other than some pretty art, it won't have that refreshing FTP model anymore.

Never open your shared to be sold public. Its the worse thing to happen to companies. Wall street is the worst thing you can get into. Look at tech business, biggest and wealthiest companies of world always have problem with that. And, Carl Icahn for god's sake

And that is exactly what PW is trying to do, buy stocks from DE. (I read the "evidence" presented)

IDK what are stocks in the game business but I'm really scared now.

If you have all the stocks in a business you mostly own it.

and you can even buy the business itself like PW is trying to do.

Just to reiterate something I said in another thread: 

It seems mostly like panic. News outlets like Joystiq and such don't have any actual factual evidence. Until DE releases the official word, every single report (be it twitter, gaming sites, etc) must be taken with a grain of salt as they have as much information as we do.

People are panicking, assuming the worst, etc and then other people take those assumptions as facts, propagating the panic in a dangerous fashion. 

We don't know whether PWE is purchasing 100% of DE's shares, 49% of DE's shares or just a paltry 1% (we don't know how many shares DE has unrestricted). Basically we currently know nothing except that PWE has expressed interest and there's been some unofficial verbal (not even written) non-binding agreement between DE and PWE involving the selling of shares. We don't know how many shares either.

tl;dr [size=6]We have no definite info on the matter. Stop jumping to conclusions.[/size]