Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Upcoming Color Customization Fix (Planned For Hotfix 14.0.9)

[DE]Steve

Dear Steve,

I think you have exemplified the meaning of "Right Action"

Not only have you fixed a long time bug you felt needed fixing in order to correct a mistake you made in the past, but you have also taken the time to listen to the people you serve and come up with a solution for their needs, regardless of whether or not you had to get wonky to accomplish it.

I think sometimes the members of the community (yep i'm looking at you) forget that when we signed up for this adventure, we did so with full disclosure that things may and would change. 

Personally even though I feel that the color palette is a minute issue in the grander schema of things (see explination/rant below) I applaud the fact that it was taken care of timely and with respect for the communities wishes. Ultimately it was a well played move by DE and Tenno are beyond ignorant as usual (hyper focused on a pawn when they should be watching the entire board).

My Fellow Tenno,

Really? REALLY? of all the things wrong with the current UI you wanted to go after color palettes? This is such an illogical objective. Let me explain. There are two types of people, those that buy color palettes and those that don't.

Those that buy color palettes do so to customize the look of their frames, sentinels, etc. Now let me ask you a question. If the old color palettes never existed and only the new ones did, would you have bought a color palette? Of course you would have, why? Because you are the kind of person that buys color palettes. Why? because you like to customize your warframe, setntinel, etc. So, knowing yourself, and knowing that you would have bought some kind of color palette at some point; is it really worth arguing with DE over?

NO

Why?

This tiny little win for Tenno gives DE the leverage they need to ignore greater problems within the game. It is like a thief tossing a watchdog a steak so they can rob it's owner blind. It quells the community outrage since now many will feel as though they accomplished something "important".

That being said, I now expect every last one of you that complained about your colors being bad to Post a "Thank You" to Steve for hearing your complaint and responding. And if you don't, well I guess that just means you don't have what it takes to be upright (a true man/woman).

And just so we are clear, I am the kind of person who buys color palettes (nearly all), I just have enough common sense to realize that it really should have never been an issue.

TL;DR

DE: +1  VS  Tenno: -1

Speaking of the new UI, what does right clicking and giving a 'star' to a particular color box actually do? I can't figure out what that does.

Adds the colour to your favourites (second tab), so it's easier for you to colour all your frames in the same scheme.

Speaking of the new UI, what does right clicking and giving a 'star' to a particular color box actually do? I can't figure out what that does.

It adds it to your favourites, if you click the star next to the word 'Palettes' on your colour choice screen it will take you to a list of all the colours you favourited, you can see it in Steves screenshot;

v0cMune.jpg

Edited by YourFriendlyNoggin

My Fellow Tenno,

Really? REALLY? of all the things wrong with the current UI you wanted to go after color palettes? This is such an illogical objective. Let me explain. There are two types of people, those that buy color palettes and those that don't.

Those that buy color palettes do so to customize the look of their frames, sentinels, etc. Now let me ask you a question. If the old color palettes never existed and only the new ones did, would you have bought a color palette? Of course you would have, why? Because you are the kind of person that buys color palettes. Why? because you like to customize your warframe, setntinel, etc. So, knowing yourself, and knowing that you would have bought some kind of color palette at some point; is it really worth arguing with DE over?

NO

Why?

This tiny little win for Tenno gives DE the leverage they need to ignore greater problems within the game. It is like a thief tossing a watchdog a steak so they can rob it's owner blind. It quells the community outrage since now many will feel as though they accomplished something "important".

That being said, I now expect every last one of you that complained about your colors being bad to Post a "Thank You" to Steve for hearing your complaint and responding. And if you don't, well I guess that just means you don't have what it takes to be upright (a true man/woman).

And just so we are clear, I am the kind of person who buys color palettes (nearly all), I just have enough common sense to realize that it really should have never been an issue.

TL;DR

This is not an US vs Them tactical game dude.

We got the old colors back, awesome, that's it.

I still think arc traps are a waste of space and they should bring back the lights.

BTW, if the current colors were the only colors we would've know i would have bought way fewer packages because the left side colors all end up basically turning black which means that there were less reasons to purchase other sets for their darker colors.

Dear Steve,

Not only have you fixed a long time bug you felt needed fixing in order to correct a mistake you made in the past, but you have also taken the time to listen to the people you serve and come up with a solution for their needs, regardless of whether or not you had to get wonky to accomplish it.

I think sometimes the members of the community (yep i'm looking at you) forget that when we signed up for this adventure, we did so with full disclosure that things may and would change. 

Personally even though I feel that the color palette is a minute issue in the grander schema of things (see explination/rant below) I applaud the fact that it was taken care of timely and with respect for the communities wishes. Ultimately it was a well played move by DE and Tenno are beyond ignorant as usual (hyper focused on a pawn when they should be watching the entire board).

My Fellow Tenno,

NO

Why?

TL;DR

I already thanked them for listening to our feedback, however your strawman is unnecessary and a little insulting, just because I care an almost insane amount about customisation does not mean I, or any of the other people who didn't like the change, don't care about bugs and issues with the UI. 

Obviously, by the way you assumed so much about people, you don't understand that it's different strokes for different folks and for some people the issues you think are larger are smaller issues and the issues you think are smaller are larger for them. 

Also think of it this way, things like the time it takes to simple get to the mission start and frames blocking the mod screens have been reported and will be fixed, but the colour changes were more polarising, some people loved them, some hated it and others didn't care, without complaints and feedback how are they supposed to know people don't like it?

Tl;dr: Don't assume everyone quantifies bugs and issues in the same way as you, although sometimes the feedback does go over the top.

Thanks DE_Steve. Not a perfect fix (left-side colors were too dark compared to how they appeared on the frame, just lightening those would have been perfect), but it does give people the option of getting the colors they were used to, so thanks :). There's no rush on this, by the way. Like YourFriendlyNoggin said, just addressing the issue and knowing that DE is paying attention is good enough.

Edited by AntoineFlemming

I've added a config option that performs the gamma-incorrect distortion on any legacy palette. It's queued for the next hotfix and will be included on PS4. This option checks if the palette is a legacy palette (ironically all of them except for the Gamma pack which was made with the new code).

It will not change anyone's set up colors, Kubrow color are unaffected. This simply mangles the color picker interface for the palettes in question. You will notice that the new UI is now properly displaying the gamma-mangled colors instead of having the swatch out of sync with the result on your item.

I apologize to those that have been with us for so long and were fond of the old scheme - this hacky option lets you get back there. Future palettes will not be affected by this option.

Legacy ON: zx09Zqm.jpg

Legacy OFF: v0cMune.jpg

Thank you very much! I personally liked the old palettes much better than the new ones, but that's probably because I'm used to customizing with the old ones.

This is not an US vs Them tactical game dude.

Never said it was. But I have been around the community long enough to watch actions of both DE and the community. Enough so that predictive outcomes are possible. It's just a matter of compiling statistical data between DE actions and community reactions and vice versa.

I already thanked them for listening to our feedback, however your strawman is unnecessary and a little insulting, just because I care an almost insane amount about customisation does not mean I, or any of the other people who didn't like the change, don't care about bugs and issues with the UI. 

Obviously, by the way you assumed so much about people, you don't understand that it's different strokes for different folks and for some people the issues you think are larger are smaller issues and the issues you think are smaller are larger for them. 

Also think of it this way, things like the time it takes to simple get to the mission start and frames blocking the mod screens have been reported and will be fixed, but the colour changes were more polarising, some people loved them, some hated it and others didn't care, without complaints and feedback how are they supposed to know people don't like it?

Tl;dr: Don't assume everyone quantifies bugs and issues in the same way as you, although sometimes the feedback does go over the top.

Thank you for taking the time to thank them. Obviously that part of my statement was not directed at you than. Whether or not you have a great concern or little concern for this particular issue, hopefully you have a great concern for the community at large? If you have a concern for the greater community than regardless of your personal feeling, you should be able to comprehend logical action that results in whats best for the community.

There are a great number of bugs in the most recent release. When prioritizing current issues one must look at not just aesthetic issues but more serious game play issues. That's not to say aesthetics should be overlooked. But prioritization must happen. As an example: PVP is broken and in need of some serious fixes. Attention drawn away from this hurts the community. I for one think PVP has no place in a PVE game. It turns my stomach that it was introduced in the game and ultimately the DE have gone down a very dark path that results in hackers and exploiters, inviting in the kinds of people that will do whatever it takes to "win". Shame really since DE have just tripled their work load because of it and it will only get worse.

But this is the path they have chosen, as such the focus of fixes should be there not color palettes. Even being a person that admonishes having PVP in the game, I have enough common sense to recognize that if this is the direction they have chose then that is where their focus should be.

I try to assume very little, but like everyone I can be guilty of error. Personally I try and rely on facts and observation. That's not to say I don't jump to conclusions at times (see my post on infinite wall climb return). 

Lastly, if you don't like a change I'm all for vocalizing it. But be respectful, polite, and considerate. 

EDIT: Consider it like this... (Auto analogy) You might want to make sure your car is running smoothly before you waste the time giving it a perfect paint job. 

Edited by Austerity

Dear Steve,

My Fellow Tenno,

NO

Why?

TL;DR

So what you are saying is that there are issues with the new UI, fail to list any of them, then complain that people got DE to change something, then say you are one of the people you were complaining about. Sure you might not have complained but the issue is that they did this change without any prior warning and it ruined a lot of peoples colors, and the appearance of their Kubrow. You are entitled to your own opinion and all, but raging at those of us who were mad at the fact that it was a change that didn't really need to happen in the first place, is kind of absurd. You yourself mentioned UI problems, but rage at the fact they fixed this, essentially twice now, when they could have ignored it in the first place and fix these UI issues you haven't listed out. Personally, I have had no issues with the new UI and don't understand why people are raging about it. So take your rage and flip it, with the color issue not being a true issue, don't take anger out on us. If you want other things fixed, go generate your own thread, present logical and validated points and be civil about it. Then you can try to get people to back you and support your thoughts. Just don't rage at those of us who fought for what we wanted changed. Also, assuming that DE will ignore other problems in the game is rather ignorant. They want their game to be the best it can, and assuming the opposite I imagine would be rather insulting to the devs. Finally, with you essentially demanding people write a thank you to Steve, while it would be nice of those people as I basically have done already, is kind of arrogant. You're not my dad, so you can't tell me and others what to do, and if you were my father, I still wouldn't listen.

You sir, hit the nail on the head. +1 to you.

Edited by FREQ1989

So what you are saying is that there are issues with the new UI, fail to list any of them, then complain that people got DE to change something, then say you are one of the people you were complaining about. Sure you might not have complained but the issue is that they did this change without any prior warning and it ruined a lot of peoples colors, and the appearance of their Kubrow. You are entitled to your own opinion and all, but raging at those of us who were mad at the fact that it was a change that didn't really need to happen in the first place, is kind of absurd. You yourself mentioned UI problems, but rage at the fact they fixed this, essentially twice now, when they could have ignored it in the first place and fix these UI issues you haven't listed out. Personally, I have had no issues with the new UI and don't understand why people are raging about it. So take your rage and flip it, with the color issue not being a true issue, don't take anger out on us. If you want other things fixed, go generate your own thread, present logical and validated points and be civil about it. Then you can try to get people to back you and support your thoughts. Just don't rage at those of us who fought for what we wanted changed. Also, assuming that DE will ignore other problems in the game is rather ignorant. They want their game to be the best it can, and assuming the opposite I imagine would be rather insulting to the devs. Finally, with you essentially demanding people write a thank you to Steve, while it would be nice of those people as I basically have done already, is kind of arrogant. You're not my dad, so you can't tell me and others what to do, and if you were my father, I still wouldn't listen.

Yes. There is a mega-thread for the issues why repost here off-topic? Not a complaint about change, but a observation about wasted effort and energy. Not a complaint so not part of the complaint. and re-read through my posts in this topic to see my opinion on the color change situation prior to this comment. I'm sorry you see condemnation of events as "Rage", that's unfortunate. I'm sorry you don't care to listen to your father, he has more life experience than you and could probably give you some good advice. 

Another car analogy: If a group of us are trying to talk to a mechanic to get the engine fixed on a car, meanwhile a group of people are complaining about air in the tires, drawing the mechanics attention so he fills the tires with air. While some might rejoice... "YAY the tires are filled with air!" There are those of us more concerned with the fact that the engine still is not preforming properly.

I did not proclaim DE was not working on other problems. With a staff of around 200 (so i'm told), I highly doubt that 200 people were working on color palette change. This is an asinine assumption on your part and makes you seem petty.

Merely, I was pointing out that requisitioning DE resources that could have been spent elsewhere was not the best use of their resources. My apologies if it came across to you, that i was some how "mad" or "enraged." Telling people they are "Raging" when they aren't however is pretty standard troll fare for the internet so I take your accusations with a grain of salt. 

Regardless of if you agree with my opinion or not, it is my opinion and I am entitled to it.

Edit: Spelling correction

Edited by Austerity

-snip-

If a problem is easy to fix, there's no reason to not fix it just because there are other things to be fixed. He finally realized he needed to add a conversion from sRGB to the system the shaders use, so he did. Simple. Easy. Much easier than fixing major problems with PvP and the majority of the UI. People complained, so he added in an option to ignore that converter (or run it backwards, dunno how he did it). Simple. Easy. Much easier than fixing major balance issues.

This took nothing away from fixing more major things. It just fixed a problem that was easy to fix, then added in a method to unfix it if people wanted it unfixed. Seriously. The colors look infinitely better now, and it didn't take anything away from anything else... except that some people thought it wasn't improved, so then nothing was taken away from anything to give a simple option to unfix it. No. Big. Deal.

Thanks for the fix.

Not sure I will use it, but now I can check were my options look better, and if my newly chosen colors are similar enough to the old ones.

to the people that complain about this fix:

People paid for the color palettes. Of course some of them can be unhappy if the colors they paid for are not the same again, and maybe not the ones they like.

They looked at the colors before they bought them, at least some of them will have looked. When suddenly the color is not the one they bought, even if it is a better looking color, it might not fit the color they bought it for.

Me, I was unhappy too at first. But I found similar enough colors to most of the ones I used. If I hadn't, I would have been more unhappy.

As it was, I lost a few and gained a few. Had similar enough ones for the lost ones.

The point I wanted to make:

If you pay for something specific, you usually want THAT . and not something somehow similar, but different.

So, again thanks, for considering and doing that option :-)

Thanks for the update on the colour pallets Steve, appreciate the quick fix.

The colours however are a little more washed out than previously however, so I suspect that you need to tone down the gama correction about 20%-30% of its current amount.

As an example;

On the valentine and ice pallets (these are the easiest to tell the difference on though noticeable on most pallets if your familure with the swatch you want to use) the darkest red/blue swatch was a black-red and black-blue respectivly, as in the colour being so dark as to almost be black but still clearly a shade of red or blue, While the new legacy update has them as dark red and dark blue respectivly.

I'm hoping this example is helpful to nail down the correct gamma influence value.

On a side note the marker for the swatch (small triangle in the top right of the swatch) that is currently in use appears to have gone missing as well which was very useful.

Wait, so how exactly does this thing work?

If I want to use a legacy color and a new color off one palette, is that possible? Or will turning on legacy settings revert all colors in a palette to their previous values?

I think it is possible but you have to store the color on your favorites, switch the legacy option and then use the one you stored along with other colors. The color you set as favorite is saved as it is. It doesn't seem to get updated even if you switch legacy on or off.

Makes me wonder about why Steve didn't simply add an option like "hold CTRL while clicking to select legacy colors". But then again I guess not every player is a color addict.

So can we use legacy and non legacy colours at the same time with this?  For example the first colour as non legacy and the second one as legacy?

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw that the option will be in the settings screen, so I guess it will always be applied to all colours.

All colors except any new pallets. New pallets will not be affected. :P

Edited by Sidathe

So the color pallet options just change the color pallets we own, no color I apply to my frame changes if I toggle on or off. (except the gamma pallet)

So all players that bought/have pallets previous to this update, actually have just doubled their pallets collection.

We can have more colors just by toggling that option.

So why is this an option to turn on or off?

Why not just add the legacy pallets to the color customization menu?

Or is my logic not logical?

Thanks for the update on the colour pallets Steve, appreciate the quick fix.

The colours however are a little more washed out than previously however, so I suspect that you need to tone down the gama correction about 20%-30% of its current amount.

This is exactly how to fix this issue.

DE has tried a couple of times to squash this bug, by simply raising the gamma.  Now that obviously wasn't the problem, but all of those attempts have built up, leaving us with too much saturation.

I feel obligated to apologize and thank DE for acting so quickly. For all my rabble rousing I always hoped that they would give us some kind of compromise. While these colors aren't quite* there yet (They don't get quite as dark as they used to) This is at least a huge step in the right direction and buys an enormous amount of good will from me and many others like myself; who just don't like bright saturated colors. Thanks, DE, for listening.

Edited by Phaedruslives