Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weapon Skins Contest

[DE]Rebecca

Hi, i have a technical question, I use Maya and when i open the fbx file the model is like checkered-ish diamond. At first i thought it was the texture, but even after linking the texture the checkered diamond thing persists and covers the texture like an overlay even in the test renders. Help would be appreciated

Not sure how to load cameras in 3DC :(.  You can probably get pretty close to those cameras if you can use them as a template.  I don't think we'll be disqualifying for not being a pixel perfect match.  I'd just like to keep it an apples to apples comparison in those places where we can.

Yep we can do that if it's integral to your design.

Glowring is for the soft glowing bits along the barrel of the gun.  They're not wildly visible (unless you're in the dark), feel free to play w/ them as well (it's an emissive only secondary texture).  Probably won't be wildly impactful though.

Emis = Energy.

That doc was mainly included for the interest of the technical folks out there.  If anything is included in it that you find confusing feel free to ignore it, we just need the source images for your skins.

You do not need Perforce.

Damn... there is a snafu on my part.  I think I switched to a new version of max when I was gathering those assets and didn't have SG on for either import or export.  Meh!

I do happen to know that if you autosmooth at 89.9 that asset should work.

Not for this contest.

Early on Mynki was being extremely efficient and designed the weapon to do that.  We largely do full uniques these days, but that piece works pretty well doing both.

Great to see a lot of awesome stuff already, good luck to everyone :)

bad big quote.

But yeah figured out the glowring material soon after.

And figured it lacked smoothing - but wasn't gonna add it, in case it wouldn't match up what the weapon would look like in game - and up using blender ( and it seems to smooth too much, dulk blades).

Further questions:

1. How many winners per each weapon?

2. How many candidates available?

3. If we only provided tint masks and albedo (diffuse) masks, would that be acceptable?

4. Transparency? Yay or nay? I can easily do some stuff with this just wondering if my efforts would be wasted :)

5. Is it possible to adjust level of energy? i.e I may want my Vectis skin above to have energy color affect the lines as a whole, but limit it so it doesn't blind people, just looks cool in the dark

6. I (will) have access to the UEgine 4 UDK, now the Evolution engine is based on the Unreal Engine, how far apart are the shaders? Possibly something like UEgine 3 or 2 makes more sense but out of curiosity

Thanks DE_Kary for your hard work! :)

It might work if you use grey scale  instead of 100% B&W. Where closer to black is less intense glow.

Further questions:

1. How many winners per each weapon?

2. How many candidates available?

3. If we only provided tint masks and albedo (diffuse) masks, would that be acceptable?

Answers to the top 2 to complete Kary's bottom answers:

As it currently stands, here's the plan (subject to change):

1) 1 winning skin for each weapon.

2) Depending on submissions we will have as many worth candidates as possible, likely a maximum 10.

However, depending on how the submission phase goes (holy smokes at some so far), we may include more. The polling stage is quite adaptable to the quality of submissions here, which is why nothing is set in stone in the initial post other than second phase is polling!

Answers to the top 2 to complete Kary's bottom answers:

As it currently stands, here's the plan (subject to change):

1) 1 winning skin for each weapon.

2) Depending on submissions we will have as many worth candidates as possible, likely a maximum 10.

However, depending on how the submission phase goes (holy smokes at some so far), we may include more. The polling stage is quite adaptable to the quality of submissions here, which is why nothing is set in stone in the initial post other than second phase is polling!

Ohh that's great news, thanks! :D

Rebecca will have to answer most of those, but:

4) I'd recommend against unless it's critical to the design. 

5) Yep definitely.  Give us a number on a scale of 1 to 10 and we can make it happen ;)

6) It's not exactly based on UE.  Some folks of who made the Evolution engine worked on Unreal and the Unreal Championship / UT era stuff, but afaik there hasn't ever been shared code.  

Our shaders are being iterated on these days so it's a bit of a moving target.  I'm not really confident in directing people to one readily available engine in case it proves hard to match, or if we make changes that render it an inaccurate target.  

yw!

Danke schun! (sorry, random german)

I read somewhere that it was based on it, maybe the person who wrote it meant that it had influences then.

Again, thanks for swift reply! ^^

AkmagnusSilverer_zpsb71950b9.png

My contest entry, Silferer skin as it's essentially has more silver... All parts except the black decals on the barrels are tint able and the Lotus digital light colored with energy color.

Hope it's good enough and like able enough.

*throws all my platinum in while in a frenzy*

Edited by Casardis

My contest entry, Silferer skin as it's essentially has more silver... All parts except the black decals on the barrels are tint able and the Lotus digital light colored with energy color.

Oh no! All of my platinum is getting sucked into the black hole of awesomeness this skin created!

Yep, it's worth the plat, will buy it for sure.

Amazing job

Edited by KIREEKPSO

So i finished my first skin for the (ak)magnus. The skin is completely tintable.

I still have to complete the psd for submission but have a first look at the renders!

warframe_skin_contest_entry___crushing_m

I will submit further contest entries here via editing.

Hope you like my stuff!

DROOOOOOOOOOOL

if this wins i am buying it right when it comes out...

1 winning skin for each weapon is understandable but i just think with the effort we are seeing here even in this early stage, maybe having 2 skins per weapon offers all participants even more incentive for this and future skin contests because i wont envy those having to vote to choose an outright winner when clearly more than one will be deserving of that top spot for each weapon.

2 skins representing each weapon in the market is what i would have done, and those that purchase gain because they have a wider selection to choose from.. win-win.

Im just disappointed i cannot participate due to not fully understanding all of the Contest Technical Details so i can only hope one day someone comes up with a good tutorial for these skin contests to encourage and inspire others to join in.

Edited by Nemesis101