Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

If Magnetism Requires Los, Shouldn't We Be In Zero-Gravity If We Can't See The Sun / Large Mass Object?

(PSN)Stinja

I might need a science person...  but if both magnetism and gravity are field-phenomena, i.e.: they create fields of force thru their respective effects on mass/matter, surely this means (in the Warframe universe's laws of physics) we should have zero gravity, unless a large mass object is within LoS?

Walking outside on Ceres - gravity and magnetism functioning normally;  go indoors / put a wall between the sun and enemies, and suddenly magnetism and gravity should turn off.

Someone please explain, my schooling can't comprehend how the laws of physics are meant to work anymore... 

Sounds legit.

Only the planet would be the closest body emitting the most influential gravity well and magnetic field not the sun; if the effects of the suns gravity on a person standing on earth was greater then the earths then we'd all be sucked out into space.

So in actuality according to this new rule of physics blocking line of sight with the planet would cause you to get ejected into space since the sun would then take over.

Edited by MM209

LOL man.. i don't even know what to say to this..

mag does not have esp, and cannot automatically sense enemy's behind walls or in the next room, her ability is not a constant and must be activated. her ability is also focused on each target individually, its not like vortex for example, it does not pull on an area.. so for her to consciously reach out and exert magnetic pressure on an enemy she has to know where they are in relation to herself without any obstacles to block her ability 

also if your schooling told you the sun keeps us on earth.. you need a new school, fast. actually if they told you any of that you need a new school..

Edited by Kurrumitsumi

Gravity and magnetism are two fundamentally different forces that act very differently. Some materials (i.e. conductive and magnetic materials) can block or counteract external magnetic fields.

That's what I was going to say, dangit!

Gravity isn't a field it's a curvature in space-time!

So, my sight can block or counteract external magnetic fields?

Having line of sight means there are no barriers between you and what you're looking at. It's not a question of "sight" so much as it is "what's between you and your target."

If there's something between you and your target, and that something happens to be able to block or divert magnetic fields, you can bet your britches that you're not going to hit the target with a magnetism-based attack.

Just because you can block magnetic fields with certain materials doesn't mean all materials block magnetic fields.

Most objects have little or no effect on magnetism, and even shielding can be overwhelmed.

I'm aware of that. Which is why there's some degree of silliness/discontinuity (i.e. on Earth)

It would make more sense on a Corpus ship; they have a LOT of electronic devices, so they're going to want to have a LOT of EM/Magnetic shielding set up to protect sensitive electronics.

You don't need to know something is there to hit it.

indeed you can swing/shoot blindly, but will it go through a wall? nope, will you have the accuracy to even hit anything at all? 

So, my sight can block or counteract external magnetic fields?

is your sight different than mine? cause as far as i know.. my sight is not a physical material nor does is exert any force in the world

On unrelated news, I stopped playing Archwing missions because linear momentum does NOT work like that. It really doesn't. And it's very simple physics.

Gravity and magnetism are two fundamentally different forces that act very differently. Some materials (i.e. conductive and magnetic materials) can block or counteract external magnetic fields.

Well. Classical gravity and magnetism are mathematically almost equivalent. They have different coupling constants. The main difference is that you can have a positive and negative "magnetic charge" (north and south pole), while you can't have a positive and negative mass: this is why some materials can block or absorb external magnetic fields, while no known equivalent for gravity exists.

Quantum field formulations of electrodynamics and gravity might be different, although we don't know since we don't have the complete theory.

But if this was the case then it should be applied to the armors themselves and then it would mean you could not magnetize anything at all. This could be assumed that the objects in the game mostly have this as they do not get magnetized but the enemies do not seem to have this sort of protection. Realistically speaking if the ability works as described, it would work beyond line of sight or if not at all granted the enemies would have this protection against magnetism.

Gameplay wise, the decision was incredibly dumb for a Warframe that has been for the longest time tip toying from a weak Warframe to a decent one. Pre-update 15 or so she was a Warframe that was really able to compete with other Warframes as being a good pick against specific types of enemies and scenarios. Now though? Not so much. She can be played, but she is lacking as far as I am concerned. However, this is my own bias speaking here.

The scientific backing for this (if you REALLY need it) is that Mag's abilities aren't just wave-hand-and-everything-dies, if it were, she'd destroy the entire map and her allies with her. Her powers are a scalpel, they need to be focused, directed, aimed and then applied to be able to affect their target.