Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma, The New Dragon Frame (Teased In Devstream 45, 46, Tennolive) Anticipation Megathread

Morec0

The original concept was really popular on the Warframe subreddit, I forget what it was called but it was less about the actual cosmetic energy color and more about switching between colors for different effects. It was a really complex ability set, and I hope to see it in the game.

Oh, people and their obsession with light and prisms just because someone mentioned color.

Three things.

One, we already have Mirage as a 'prism' frame - her ultimate is literally called Prism. Likewise, Oberon shares the 'light' elemental aspect with her.

Two, Twitch blew up with 'prism' immediately and the devs ignored it; by the time that segment blew over, they said only two or three people actually guessed right.

Three, and most importantly, you're forgetting the other hint they already gave us in stream 43: It's a popular request. Methinks requests for a prism frame died down after the aforementioned two.

My guess? Dragon frame.

Dragons are multi-elemental and color-coordinated - red dragons are always fire-breathers, white dragons are always cold-breathers, etc.

There's a long-standing fan concept thread already out for it, a rival to Typhus in its popularity.

How can a dragon frame's powers shock players? How about letting you shapeshift, and changing the rest of your toolkit as a result?

So its pretty much going to be 3 random elements or something and its ultimate will be a move consisting of whatever one of three elements/abilities you chose.

please DE if its an invoker-esque frame, he is arguably the hardest dota character too master giving dad gamers only 2 buttons to press will be disastrous however I think its a great idea and i am all for it.

I don't get all the complaints. Like you see your energy color when you're not channeling/using a power. It's not like you have to color your entire frame green to do toxin damage, just the energy. Which makes sense, in my eyes. I always thought it was stupid how you can have red ice/ green lightning. 

Oh, people and their obsession with light and prisms just because someone mentioned color.

Three things.

One, we already have Mirage as a 'prism' frame - her ultimate is literally called Prism. Likewise, Oberon shares the 'light' elemental aspect with her.

Two, Twitch blew up with 'prism' immediately and the devs ignored it; by the time that segment blew over, they said only two or three people actually guessed right.

Three, and most importantly, you're forgetting the other hint they already gave us in stream 43: It's a popular request. Methinks requests for a prism frame died down after the aforementioned two.

My guess? Dragon frame.

Dragons are multi-elemental and color-coordinated - red dragons are always fire-breathers, white dragons are always cold-breathers, etc.

There's a long-standing fan concept thread already out for it, a rival to Typhus in its popularity.

How can a dragon frame's powers shock players? How about letting you shapeshift, and changing the rest of your toolkit as a result?

This is what I was thinking, but I think the shocking thing about its powers is the damage type change not anything else.

now that i think about it, this idea is the most limiting idea i have ever seen in warframe, just for the sheer fact that damage type is directly tied to energy color.

for one, i cant have blue cosmetics when i wanted the damage type thats restricted to green. and two, this is not very convenient for someone who doesnt have alot of color palettes besides the locked classic. oh sure DE, bring an elemental that limits a player's choices when many of them dont have alot of palettes. i get to use my classic saturated blue for an element while this other player only has a limited classic palette to use. so the player likely has to resort to using a color he/she hates just to get a desired effect. sure, a player by that time will likely have a standard set of colors to use, but what if the player doesnt?

i understand that all warframes are merely optional, but this kind of thing? DE, you removed the cosmetics-as-utility thing from the Arcane Helmets. why are you going back to it through color schemes? and at least back then, Arcanes came through alerts. and not everyone has seasonal palettes. if they do release this warframe in the nature that they intended, players should get compensation through having the entire classic palette free. players who purchased it would be reimbursed

Part of me thinks it would be neat for the colors to gradually change the types and amounts of elemental damage, but I think it would be awful in practice.  We would have to change energy color for each faction change, and it wouldn’t be fun to have to pull up the wiki to see where the particular element combination is on the color chart.

The abilities having different mechanics based on color would be super cool, but I don’t think it would be worth the effort.  If you have 4 frames in one it take 4 times as long to balance, which means you either spend an inordinate amount of time on this one frame, or you let some of the colors suck.

If I was in charge of making colors DO something for a frame, I would let the colors work like mods.  Red gives more power.  Green gives more efficiency.  Blue gives more range, etc.  While it isn’t as sexy as having totally new abilities when you change color, it is realistic and isn’t as annoying as elemental damage.  

While the idea sounds neat. Also sounds like a pita amount of UI hoping between weapons and appearance and only 3 save slots.

Oh, you want us to use relays? Look at all my load outs dedicated to this frame.

All for it if 16 also has a ton of UI upgrades for less clicking throughout the maze of options.

Maybe it's an "absorbing/adaptation/copy" frame? Many powers in Warframe are more super-hero based, so imagine hitting this frame for slash damage and it turns a certain color and develops both immunity and damage-type powers to it? It sounds like something a meta/prototype/primeval Warframe might be able to do...you could even have it extend to aura mods. It would make "color guesswork" a non-issue.

After reading the teaser I think I might have possibly solved the riddle of the new warframe..

So the Tease says the new frame main ability will change its elements damage based on energy color

The answer is A Chameleon warframe I mean it should not be more simpler then that.

A Chameleon changes is color in different environments & situations & camouflage itself in the sorronding elements & environments

Add in the teaser stuff it makes sense as they base there warframes off real life stuff

The new one almost certainly points to a Chameleon warframe based on its discrisption

Plus add in if you change the energy color the elements damage change

All adds up

My verdict is a Chameleon

Surprised none mentioned it

We have a rhino warframe so I can't see why a Chameleon warframe isn't possible & based on the Tease I might have solved the riddle I guess we will find out soon!

Edited by (PS4)ChiefsFury1984

So the devs said that the new frames skills will depend on which energy color you select.

Invoker frame? Different sets of abilities depending on energy colors, that would be my guess.

Thoughts?

i dont care ... as always, what come, that come ... no time for hypes, i see myself as customer, not as gamer =)

I hope this frame is really cool, saving up plat to buy its bundle just in case v: 

if it's powers have a AoE, i'll def make it either Viral or Radiation, and thatll prolly be a lot of people choice for things too.

That's why I'm going with "absorbing/adapting/copying" proto-frame. Humans who became Tenno used the Technocyte virus to somehow adapt to the Void's environment and their frame. Current frames are "locked in" but what if a more ancient version had active adaptation to environmental stimuli (i.e. Damage) for survivability? What if at level 30 your 4th ability was a copied ability you could LOCK IN from another frame!!!

It supports DE's mission of ever-expanding choice, and would certainly be a surprise!!!!

That's why I'm going with "absorbing/adapting/copying" proto-frame. Humans who became Tenno used the Technocyte virus to somehow adapt to the Void's environment and their frame. Current frames are "locked in" but what if a more ancient version had active adaptation to environmental stimuli (i.e. Damage) for survivability? What if at level 30 your 4th ability was a copied ability you could LOCK IN from another frame!!!

It supports DE's mission of ever-expanding choice, and would certainly be a surprise!!!!

So if I could copy a frame's power....

I'd have a Iron Skinned, Invisible, Molecular Priming, Farmer.

....sold!!!

A light frame seems very possible but also maybe its a elemental frame? Something able too manipulate the various elements but not as powerful as just controlling one. Like if he was against Volt in Electrical damage Volt would win because he's purly using Electric Damage but on the other hand the elemental frame can use more than one so he's weaker yet more adaptable at the same time. This way he is not too overpowered.

Btw I put he and not he/she because we all know if it follows the same male/female/male/female trend its going too be a male frame. I just hope he looks more serious and badass then our other frames lately, we could use a change of pace.

Edited by Monybags33