Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Spy 2.0 Preview

[DE]Whirrrrr

In the existing Spy missions there are four randomized consoles spread across the level, players need to hack them to collect datamasses and bring them to extraction.  Spy is one of a handful of gamemodes which as yet haven’t changed since Closed Beta.  As one of the least popular gamemodes, we decided it was time for change!

Here’s a brief outline of Spy 2.0:

• There are three data vaults in the level, each one contains a console which the Tenno need to hack to extract data (no more datamasses!).
  • Data vaults are heavily fortified self-contained areas with automated security measures and patrolling enemies.  Trip the vault’s security measures or allow an enemy active a panic button, and the vault alarm goes off, starting a timer to wipe the data.
  • Every vault has several solutions to reach the data and extract it.  Tripping the alarm may have other consequences in addition to the threat of erasing the data.  Doors can lock down or slowly close, lasers activate, robots, turrets or heavy enemies may spawn depending on the vault room setup.
  • You gain XP from extracting data, it scales with difficulty and there’s a 3x multiplier for extractions with no alarms.  This is somewhat experimental, some other gamemodes give XP for completing objectives but it’s usually a small amount which doesn’t scale.
  • Tripping alarms also has level-wide repercussions.  With each successful data extraction data where an alarm was tripped, the enemy reacts by sending in tougher troops.  The Lotus may ask you to leave no witnesses!
  • If the vault’s timer runs out, the data is lost.  Rewards are based on the number of vaults successfully cracked.  In regular missions, you need to successfully extract data from at least one vault.  All three must be attempted before extraction is available.  Lose all three, and the mission is over.
  • We can up the number of required data extractions for special missions like tactical alerts and quests.

We plan to roll this out across the whole star chart plus preview the mission in a new quest before Update 16.  For U16, we can make any adjustments needed based on community feedback and public playtesting (this has worked out pretty well in the past).  We also plan to release a few more vault tiles with U16.

The aim here isn’t to force full stealth, but better support it and make gameplay interesting for other play styles too.  Whatever your play style, I hope you find it fun and challenging!

Edit: Responses to a few questions: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/392168-spy-20-preview/page-5#entry4327284

Released in 15.13 https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/392168-spy-20-preview/page-12#entry4378072

83OyGMK.jpg

q8HAsxe.jpg

Sxfv4IV.jpg

bpOX380.jpg

Edited by Whirrrrr

I hope that there will be better rewards for this spy mission

as right now, even if you change the interface of the mission

if you can get exp from another mission, people will do it

there needs to be incentive to run these spy missions after the initial release

but one step at a time I suppose

I see one problem:

Triple XP is a nice concept, but there are different mission types where you can get a lot more XP in less time.

So the reward is kinda pointless.

I would like to see better rewards to encourage stealth play, because 99% of people don't care and rush through it, even when you want to play stealth. So it only works when you are doing it in a preset party. Same with Syndicate sigs most of the time :-(

Sounds interesting to me. Sometimes I'm trying to play stealthy non-endless missions with infinite enemy spawn.

One moment:

- You gain XP from extracting data, it scales with difficulty and there’s a 3x multiplier for extractions with no alarms.  This is somewhat experimental, some other gamemodes give XP for completing objectives but it’s usually a small amount which doesn’t scale. 

Will these XP rewards work with Syndicate RP as well? We gain RP mostly from kills. But with this Spy 2.0 will it reward us with not only XP, but also good RP w/o forcing us to kill innocent artifical idiots our enemies, hehe?