Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Woa Woa Woa Hold On A Minute, 14 Million Players?

havikryan

DE stated they have 14 million players:

http://venturebeat.com/2015/02/04/veteran-work-for-hire-studio-n-space-teams-up-with-warframe-studio-to-make-something-of-its-own/

“We’re a developer that can successfully develop, self-publish, and support an international hit. We proved as much with Warframe and its 14 million players.”

well color me surprised I did not expected that many to play warframe! anyone else surprised by this? because I sure am!

i'm under no doubt that those numbers are simply a count of how many registered accounts the game has to date, it doesn't reflect how many of the listed 14 million are still active or whether or not some of the listed accounts are simply duplicates of lone users. 

Seriously though, it doesn't feel like I've interacted with a fraction of a fraction of that supposed population in-game.

It's the same with many MMOs. Like World of Warcraft and their "13-Million" players ad campaign. Turns out only a fraction were active subscribers.

How can there be 14 million players if there's only 3 thousand people on earth? :^)

Seriously though, it doesn't feel like I've interacted with a fraction of a fraction of that supposed population in-game.

well this statistic doesn't take into account the amount of players who have quit, or accounts that are simply alts which rarely garner use, nor different consoles, so really only a fraction of that number is available for you to actually interact with. 

so if you've interacted with a fraction of the fraction of players that actually play the game, i think you're doing pretty okay. 

i'm under no doubt that those numbers are simply a count of how many registered accounts the game has to date, it doesn't reflect how many of the listed 14 million are still active or whether or not some of the listed accounts are simply duplicates of lone users. 

Agree.  Every time you see somebody who is trapped in a "zombie clan" where nobody else has been around for three months, you have to wonder how many of Warframe's accounts are active.

Which isn't to imply that Warframe is dead or dying (it's not), I just don't believe it has 14M active players.

It's reached golden age WoW popularity.

It has about 22,000 concurrent players on Steam. Either 90% of the playerbase is on consoles or the popularity is nowhere near WoW's max. I feel like DE is just referring to accounts created.

It has about 22,000 concurrent players on Steam. Either 90% of the playerbase is on consoles or the popularity is nowhere near WoW's max. I feel like DE is just referring to accounts created.

warframe can be played without having steam though so gotta take that into account

Agree.  Every time you see somebody who is trapped in a "zombie clan" where nobody else has been around for three months, you have to wonder how many of Warframe's accounts are active.

Which isn't to imply that Warframe is dead or dying (it's not), I just don't believe it has 14M active players.

Doesn't say active, If that was true.. this game wouldn't be in "beta"

I'm PC and don't use steam, so there's many like how I play (x

Well March 2014 had close to 8m players (2m of those PS4) and that was before Xbox joined the herd.  So here we are almost a year later and they list 14m players. Not too far fetched but still a impressive growth if the numbers are correct. Perhaps they will list the numbers around the anniversary as they did last time.

http://www.digitalextremes.com/news/2014/03/warframe-year-1-infographic

DE stated they have 14 million players:

http://venturebeat.com/2015/02/04/veteran-work-for-hire-studio-n-space-teams-up-with-warframe-studio-to-make-something-of-its-own/

“We’re a developer that can successfully develop, self-publish, and support an international hit. We proved as much with Warframe and its 14 million players.”

well color me surprised I did not expected that many to play warframe! anyone else surprised by this? because I sure am!

registered accounts maybe. but not players.

i meet same people all the time and there are 1000-2000 people online in one region

I agree.. I have 8 accounts myself and play them to keep the game interesting. Unless they make it to where you can reset MR, i may make another one for funsies