Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gender Locking

Koujjo

Each their own really. Personally I find the issue curious, but then considering that in my own time I can RP male or female OCs or whatever when writing, NPCs when running tabletop sessions and there are some games with some rather stylish yet practical outfits that are Female only...I'm not exactly sure I can understand the 'problem' any more. I've even got a document for speeches out of these Character explorations. Rather fun and interesting.

Most of the time, I will see what things are like from a Male or Female PC just to see what changes. Others are a case of my standing belief that there's more than enough Male Leads that my creating varying female characters for RP reasons, (Skyrim, Phantasy Star P2, FE: Awakening...) isn't likely more than 'Change of Pace'.

As my posts have covered before here or there...honestly the only Male 'frame I regularly play is Oberon. Otherwise...Ember, Mag, Mesa, Saryn, Trinity, Zephyr, Valkyr, Banshee are my go to modes of play. All because the playstyles they encourage are more relevant to me than their "Gender". Far as I see it, could go either way.

And I think there should be a distinction drawn between Projection and Role Play.

Role Play: You have a role, and you are engaged in it. Pantomime as one example of inverted stuff; Peter Pan is typically played by a girl, for example. I apparently make brilliant Karasu Tengu according to my friends when I GM'd for a stint.

Projection: The thing engaged is merely an extension of the self, and the more alike it is, more easily enjoyed. Perfectly valid, but still, distinct.

End of the day though...it's just a digital approximation of a shape. It's not like we're actually going out in public declaring we are Cross-playing (as the term goes for playing different "genders" to one's own). There's nothing wrong with sticking to what you know, but there's no real harm in exploring the other perspective. Much like clothing, whatever's good for you, I say.

Me, I like to just play with differences in Form. Male, Female...just as curious and interesting to explore as the notion of Therianthropic abilities and the such. So long as the character/form is interesting, I really don't give much concern overall to their "Gender". Unless the gender means you can wear a rather pretty but functional outfit. This little number kind of made my day when I unlocked it. It's so stylish yet practical...and female exclusive with no male counterpart at all. Shame, but eh...I'd wear something like that IRL, albeit without the heals. Reasonably androgynous otherwise. I quite like the Navy and Yellow version.

Alas, the mutability of form only explorable in a fictional, digital content. Cursed non-morphing biology.

Apologies at any rate, especially if I'm being more weird than usual. Admittedly one of my more favoured topics to explore in depth.

No need to stress if you can have fun with it, really.

I originally did have issues with it. Playing a highly sexualized character always bugged me out because I thought people would think I was a pervert.

But after seeing how all frames are sexualized equally, and some work towards playing the opposite sex, I'm cool with it

Again I think the whole gender role depends on what your personal experience as a player has taught you during the years. The only time I played a female toon was in a MMO that shall not be mentioned and 2 minutes into my first quest 3 male players started hitting on me (I laughed so hard thinking if they could see this old 300 pound Redneck player in RL)

And since that day I stopped playing female characters, there are idiots everywhere.

I know this is a dead horse, but does anyone else besides me have a problem playing frames of the opposite gender? I don't know if I'm a bit of a role player or it's because it breaks immersion for me but I just can't play female frames. I'm curious how many others feel the same.

this again? 

man.jpg

I don't have any problem playing as female frames (see avatar to left). The sex of the frame actually never enters into consideration when deciding whether I want to play a frame or not. In fact, I end up mostly playing female frames, because their playstyle compliments mine. Trinity, Nyx, etc. I'm more of a support/cc/healer type. Although there's nothing more fun than taking my Trinity into a horde of enemies and cutting them to tiny bits with my scindo prime.

If they were to implement genderswap for frames (I know they said they won't, but hypothetically) I would look at the alt-genders for each frame and then decided, based on aesthetics. Though if past choice is any indicator, I'll probably go female with most of them. A female hero appeals to me more than a male hero. We have enough of those already.

And if they do a thematically identical opposite gender frame, (male fire theme, for example) I will probably get it, and play it, and then decide based on abilities, and perhaps aesthetics, whether I want to play it regularly.

If they were to implement genderswap for frames (I know they said they won't, but hypothetically) I would look at the alt-genders for each frame and then decided, based on aesthetics. Though if past choice is any indicator, I'll probably go female with most of them. A female hero appeals to me more than a male hero. We have enough of those already.

Brother? where have you been?

you can farm origina frame look but not the gender of that frame figure.and it would be the only solution to pay if you want...

That sounds like a great idea, have a neutral BP and then deciding what gender you want it to be.

This is a game. Games are one of the few things that allow you to be what you are not. For this reason, I go out of my way to make my characters look nothing like me, and often choose to play as females.

Dude all the frames with the exception maybe of Rhino look nothing like me------>

Ugly_fat_man_picture-_funfry.jpg

Personally, I don't care what the gender of the warframe I am using at a particular time is. I guess I'm just used to this gender-neutral stuff from games like the Fire Emblem series (especially Awakening) where you have a mixed gender squad (of fixed gender characters) for every battle.

1.) A person's physical attributes are their sex. Breasts, wide hips, etc are the female sex.  Gender is social behavior (e.g. a fondness for the color pink or wearing hair bows) which is learned from other people, and is not actually related to sex.

2.) A few people are bothered by playing frames of the opposite sex. You're a minority. It's not worth the development time to change this.

Where did the OP mention the devs changing something? Oh, I guess the title is what you're referring to. Thing is, how would they gender-lock anyway? Have the player determine what sex they are? I guess I'm not really opposed to that, IF they set up some character creation system where you can create multiple characters. Then I'd be ok with one character only being one sex. As well, then you could have one syndicate per character, but other weapons would be interchangeable between characters.

@OP I only play male frames, for pretty much the same reasons as you. I do own several warframes, some male, some female, really just to see what they look like with certain colors. Might max some out, but I really only play male frames. Started with Excal Prime, then Rhino, then Oberon, then Rhino Prime, then back to Excal Prime.

Edited by AntoineFlemming

Only matters to me in games like Skyrim, but that's because in RPGs I want the character to be a version of me.  When I'm playing Tomb Raider it doesn't bother me because I'm not the character.  I'm just helping the character through the actiony bits of the story.  Some of my male friends always play female characters in RPGs, so it's really just personal preference.

If I had the option of switching the frames' genders, I'd always play with mine, yes. 

pretty much this for me too. 

In Diablo 2, you couldn't change gender ( well was hard to tell with those old graphics) but i had no problem playing my amazon, my sorceress or my assassin.

In diablo 3, they changed that and i chose my gender type, only exception was the wizard, female, because of too many years with female wizz d2 and she did look better than male anyway.

To be honest if the female warframe was better looking than the male, i would probably play her.

i just think the dev need to explain a bit more what are the warframes, It can be a bit confusing.

Btw, i do think they would make lot of money with gender skin in market. And one of the DE was talking about all the choices that this game offer, here is one we don't have.

Edited by Gilmaesh

For good reasons.

I think you fail to see that women playing have to deal with the same problem and they dont complain. EVER.

Have you ever heard a girl say they hate Asassins creed because Ezio is not female? I think you have to get over the immersive thing and play for fun not because you like to feel like the best ever. 

This is an insult to all females out there.

You seriously think no females complain?

Ubisoft made ONE game with a female antagonist....after the immense amount of complaints that there were NO female assassins.

I know this is a dead horse, but does anyone else besides me have a problem playing frames of the opposite gender? I don't know if I'm a bit of a role player or it's because it breaks immersion for me but I just can't play female frames. I'm curious how many others feel the same.

Not particularly. I simply assume that I'm actually controlling a stable of Tenno operatives who wait in cryosleep while the active one does stuff.

This kind of gets dubious with certain lore, but meh.

Besides, my Rhino uses Mirage noble stance anyway.

You seriously think no females complain?

The audience generally doesn't complain, honestly. It's outsiders who probably wouldn't buy the game anyway that complain about stuff like that.

Edited by Cpl_Facehugger

I don't care what gender/race/etc my char in a video game is, I'll play em all.. but it's interesting to see this thread because one of my friends who I game with alot has always been the same way - he will NOT play a female char in any game, for any reason. He says it's because he likes to 'project himself into the character' and he's unable to do that with female chars. Apparently he's not alone.

Then there's the other side of the coin... in a 3rd person game like Warframe, or Mass Effect even.. if you're gonna be spending 50-60 hrs in game, would you rather spend that time staring at a girl's butt or a guy's? That's my reasoning, at least. :P

As someone who makes characters look like myself as much as possible in other games......i don't have an issue with playing different gender in warframe. I just don't get "into the game" as much as i can with other games i guess, so i am feeling a bit more detached from my characters than usual but im just treating this game like diablo.

Given the choice in games, i always play male characters. Don't know if anyone else does this but it helps me with immersion to think that "that's virtual me right there in that world".