Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Flaws In The Lore: Events

blablark

Certain missions such as the Law of Retribution, as well as many of the assassination missions would not make sense in the distant future if players are unaware of events such as Eyes of Blight, Tubemen of Regor etc. It would be interesting for the lore tab to make a comeback, but the experience would never be as authentic as a first hand participation in the event. I still feel that these events need to be explained in one way or another.

Would a quest showing the events be too much? Or would cutscenes depicting the events be just as effective, like the Alad V PS4 Trailer sneak peek? That in my opinion was a very informative introduction to Alad V, where he dissected Excalibur (rip) and was about to dissect Mag. It shows that 'Too many Tenno have perished to make Alad's abomination' As for the Tenno saving mag, that is fulfilled when the assassination is complete. 

At the very least, introduce an events tab into the codex to explain the events to the players, but for a refined experience, I suggest more cutscenes, maybe when unlocking each planet.

I do hear that a common suggestion is to allow the player to replay the events if he/she so chooses, a bit like Runescape with its Fifth Age/Sixth Age quests (to those that may not know what I am talking about, Runescape has an ongoing timeline, and in order to allow players to access all of the quests without sacrificing advancement of in-universe time, the developers decided to label all the quests that can only take place in the Fifth Age [i.e.: The previous age] as "Fifth Age Quests", so that players in there can still complete it and appreciate the full timeline). But, I find that method a bit iffy for story-telling, due to various reasons (using Runescape again, some of the Sixth Age quests can be quickly accessed by beginner players, which would end up making things a slight bit crossed.). 

Having them repayable as quests would be nice, but it's really no different than certain events in other MMOs - the Scourge Invasions, the Opening of the Dark Portal, the Pre-Cataclysm events. A lot of players don't get to go through that, but they're still a part of that world's history.

All that said, though, you are correct: a way for newer players to learn about these events WOULD be nice.

I think events are important elements of lore as parts of the past. They shouldn't be replayable. But some infos/cutscenes about them should be present as to make Tenno aware what happened in the universe before they woke up.

Hell even current stuff makes little sense lore wise, we actually defeat bosses, as in kill them, yet it does nothing.

Lotus constantly going "Tenno this fight matters, it could shift the balance blablabla" but ultimately you can do every boss a thousand times.

You can do standard Alad V and Mutalist Alad V.

You can do standard Vor and Corrupted Vor.

No events, just in the game.

Hell even current stuff makes little sense lore wise, we actually defeat bosses, as in kill them, yet it does nothing.

Lotus constantly going "Tenno this fight matters, it could shift the balance blablabla" but ultimately you can do every boss a thousand times.

You can do standard Alad V and Mutalist Alad V.

You can do standard Vor and Corrupted Vor.

No events, just in the game.

You're confusing game mechanics with actual lore progression here, obviously every boss needs to be fightable several times for gameplay reasons.

However I am in utmost agreement, OP, there is so much that the events and special alerts (like Darvo's) do for lore that it definitely would be a lot to miss if one just lets it slip by.

DE did say once upon a time that they were working on making past events into quests... but that was back from when quests just came out.

And hopefully when they do we can have this...

53Ha18r.png

Excuse the few parts of it that are out of date, too lazy to update it with the sentient stuff.

Edited by DrBorris

Certain missions such as the Law of Retribution, as well as many of the assassination missions would not make sense in the distant future if players are unaware of events such as Eyes of Blight, Tubemen of Regor etc. It would be interesting for the lore tab to make a comeback, but the experience would never be as authentic as a first hand participation in the event. I still feel that these events need to be explained in one way or another.

+1 from me, as a PS4 player I didn't get to play anything until after Gravidus Event, all I've ever had to go on was the wiki.

Sling stone in particular is kind of essential...

Maybe with the starchart revamp in U18 . I hope they find a way to tell the story to everyone . A recap cinematic if you will , it would make the story so far easier to understand for those who didnt catch all events .

You're confusing game mechanics with actual lore progression here, obviously every boss needs to be fightable several times for gameplay reasons.

However I am in utmost agreement, OP, there is so much that the events and special alerts (like Darvo's) do for lore that it definitely would be a lot to miss if one just lets it slip by.

Im not confusing anything, lore wise Alad V changed into Mutalist Alad V, he was still Mutalist Alad V in the Tubemen event.

Point is, if that repeatable ingame stuff does not matter for the lore, why would events?

Im not confusing anything, lore wise Alad V changed into Mutalist Alad V, he was still Mutalist Alad V in the Tubemen event.

Point is, if that repeatable ingame stuff does not matter for the lore, why would events?

If only DE had time and resources to make it so new players start the game in different circumstances based on what's currently happening in the universe. Like... Vor is kinda dead yet he still appears in everyone's tutorial. I think it's healthy for lore if tutorial, events and some quests are not replayable.

If only DE had time and resources to make it so new players start the game in different circumstances based on what's currently happening in the universe. Like... Vor is kinda dead yet he still appears in everyone's tutorial. I think it's healthy for lore if tutorial, events and some quests are not replayable.

I don't agree. Not unless they rework the entire boss system so that you only ever kill each unique boss once, rather than being able to farm them over and over. If you can kill Tyl forty times in a row farming Equinox, why can't you run Tethra's Doom again?

It's fine if the one-time rewards aren't available, but the quests themselves should be doable by everyone. No point having content in the game if nobody will ever experience it again.

Edited by motorfirebox

At one point DE has mentioned that they were considering introducing certain events as playable quests. Obviously they would be modified and improved. But its something that comes up from time to time in order to make sure people that missed out can get in on the action and to address the current dilemma.

It was also suggested it would posibly be a way of reintroducing certain event weapons etc as rewards as well.

Now whether or not any of that happens is another thing entierly, but DE certainly seemed committed to at reintroducing events as quests at a minimum.

At one point DE has mentioned that they were considering introducing certain events as playable quests. Obviously they would be modified and improved. But its something that comes up from time to time in order to make sure people that missed out can get in on the action and to address the current dilemma.

It was also suggested it would posibly be a way of reintroducing certain event weapons etc as rewards as well.

Now whether or not any of that happens is another thing entierly, but DE certainly seemed committed to at reintroducing events as quests at a minimum.

It did seem that they were working on the cicero crisis quest, but it wouldn't surprise me if that went to the bottom of the list considering everything that was done for U17 and the large scope of U18 (if U18 is everything that they've said, it sounds huge because of the changes themselves being big changes).

I wouldn't mind if U18 was all about the important reveals (the old war the actual outcome, what truly is the Lotus and how she got there, the Stalker, the Orokin's demise, the Sentient, what the Tenno really are) and U19 was most of the old events turning into quests which would polish all the old lore and make a better time line. Just because the lore can be really interesting, but yeah, it's hard to know where events stand.

Like how Regor is supposed to be the next person in charge of the Fomorians (we got a mail about that after the event) but in this update we "kill" him, which the quest even tell us to do so, which makes it so Regor is either another Team Rocket character, he didn't die after the quest (which is the boss node) so he can command the Fomorians when the Sentient appear, or if the fomorians are ever used when the Sentient appear they will have a different person commanding the fleet (making it so the next Fomorian event can't have any sentient in it).

Boss nodes tend to make things confusing when it comes to the time line, except those that have quests tied to them (Tyl Regor) or events that happen after the boss node (Infested Alad V didn't get killed after the quest~boss node which is before Tyl's quest).

I hope that the void destruction bring us a quest with corrupted Vor.