Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Please Make The New Login Rewards A Combination Of Time Played And Mr

mindlord0013

I know I'm not the only person with this concern, so hopefully people agree with me. Having better login rewards for the more experienced players is great. It means players that have invested time and effort into the game are given something better suited to them when they log in. However, having it tied solely to Mastery Rank feel unfair, especially for the players that have invested immense amounts of time into the game but still have a lower Mastery Rank. I've invested almost 2000 hours over the past few years, yet I only recently reached MR 17 (I saw there was a similar thread in which someone has about the same time but is only MR 10).

I propose two possible solutions to this perceived problem.

1. Have a soft or hard limit to how much Mastery Rank influences login rewards. For example, "players will gradually have a better chance of getting better rewards based on their MR, up until MR 16 when the chance no longer increases". For arguments sake I chose MR 16 (Eagle), because it's not too high for most dedicated players to obtain, yet not too low to make it easy for newbies to quickly reach.

2. Make it based off time played and Mastery Rank. A person with a play time of 2000 hours at Mastery Rank 10 should have much better rewards than a person with 300 hours played at Mastery Rank 15. The quick formula I came up with is:

MR * (1+ (Hours Played * 0.01)) = Login reward modifier

This formula benefits the people who have put in thousands of hours over a number of years, yet might have a lower mastery rank because their focus in the game is not collecting and ranking up weapons. I'll show a few examples of this formula below, to show the login reward modifier of different types of players.

Newbie who has only played the tutorial [MR 1; 1 Hour played]:

1 * (1 + (1 * 0.01)) = 1.001

New player who has a few warframes and weapons [MR 5; 30 Hours played]:
5 * (1 + (30 * 0.01)) = 6.5

"Average" player [MR 15; 300 Hours played]:
15 * (1 + (300 * 0.01)) = 60

Mastery Rank focused player [MR 21; 450 Hours played]:
21 * (1 + (450 * 0.01)) = 115.5

Veteran player, non MR focused [MR 15; 1500 Hours played]:
15 * (1 + (1500 * 0.01)) =  240

Veteran Player, MR focused [MR 21; 1500 Hours played]:
21 * (1 + (1500 * 0.01)) = 336

Please note the numbers used are fairly arbitrary, and are just used as an example.

They cannot make it retroactive. It wouldn't work across all platforms, so they can't do that.

As for MR? That is taken into account according to Steve.

The higher your MR, the better chance you have at the better rewards. Still not guaranteed, but a higher chance.

Seems fair as he described it, but we will have to see.

Edited by Kalenath

Better solution.

Finally award Mastery points for ANY xp you earn, regardless of whether or not your equipment is maxed.

Failing to receive any mastery points just because all your gear is maxed is kinda stupid.

Yes, because we all want to see MR30 people who have only ever used Rhino and Boltor. They've clearly mastered the game.

Better solution.

Finally award Mastery points for ANY xp you earn, regardless of whether or not your equipment is maxed.

Failing to receive any mastery points just because all your gear is maxed is kinda stupid.

What?

You only get Mastery based on the levels earned on said gear.  If you have no more levels to gain, then you can not get more Mastery.

If we continued to gain Mastery after our item has hit 30, then there would be no point in using different weapons, ever.

What?

You only get Mastery based on the levels earned on said gear.  If you have no more levels to gain, then you can not get more Mastery.

If we continued to gain Mastery after our item has hit 30, then there would be no point in using different weapons, ever.

Which is apparently what some people want. 1 frame, 1 weapon. Forever.

Sounds boring to me.

Better solution.

Yes, because we all want to see MR30 people who have only ever used Rhino and Boltor. They've clearly mastered the game.

How about instead we have a general mastery rank and a per equipment mastery rank?

Equipment would gain its own MR as you use it more past rank 30 and general MR would be what we have now.

There will always be a Draco.

Notice how I didn't say anything about removing or changing draco. If you can't fix the source of the grind- you change how the grind works. Making MR require MASTERY of the weapon like it implies would work for MR. E.g. X headshots, X kills while sliding, X faction kills, or other more innovative challenges- rather than just affinity on it. The major issue with affinity as it is is that you can get it without even TOUCHING the weapon- just having it equipped is enough. That's not ok for a MASTERY system.

Notice how I didn't say anything about removing or changing draco. If you can't fix the source of the grind- you change how the grind works. Making MR require MASTERY of the weapon like it implies would work for MR. E.g. X headshots, X kills while sliding, X faction kills, or other more innovative challenges- rather than just affinity on it. The major issue with affinity as it is is that you can get it without even TOUCHING the weapon- just having it equipped is enough. That's not ok for a MASTERY system.

As much as I hate the idea of having to meet those req's with any of the bows or burst weapons, it does make more sense. 

I am all for your second suggestion of MR and game time effect the rewards.

But I am completely against MR16 being the cut off on how rewards are given during login in. Yeah, I Draco'd some gear that I HATE  the feel of the weapon. But I also put 4+ Forma into 20+ weapons and Frames. I took the time to run the void to get those weapons, took the time to suffer through Archwing to get those guns and level them. I took the time to farm the materials to build the dojo weapons and I also spent the money to have 60+ inventory slots.

I just don't think it's fair that we all get punished because some people think Mastery Rank is a joke and cheese the leveling system running Draco all day. Every weapon that I put 5 or 6 or more Forma into I have used for months on end. At least 18 of my 20 Mastery levels  are due to me actually enjoying trying different weapons and frames.

I understand not everyone wants to spend a lot of real life money to hold a large amount of inventory slots so they can level a bunch of guns. I also understand some people have found their favorite weapons and frames and have no interest in grinding for other weapons and frames just for Mastery. But just because some people can't be bothered doesn't mean we should short change the ones that do bother to do it.

TL;DR

I am down for suggestion 2. I am totally against suggestion 1.

The simplest fix to Draco is to just make it so that affinity earned from other squad members cannot contribute to your weapons (but do contribute to your Warframe and possibly your companion and maybe your companion's weapon). This way, you actually have to use your weapons to rank them up.

And then everyone will have to learn the art of stealth-running Pantheon with an unranked weapon.

It would be great if people could keep on topic instead of talking about Draco.

Eh? But talking about Draco is more fun than playing Draco... wait, that wasn't the point was it?

Making the rewards scale linearly with MR (with a cap) and logarithmically (or tiered with a roughly logarithmic bias) with time played is probably most fair.

What?

S'not that I don't get WHY it is.

But at the same time... "Mastery" is a measure of how proficient you are at doing something. Not how proficient you are at learning new things.

"Fear not the man who practices a thousand techniques. Instead, fear the man who practices one technique a thousand times."

I may be using the same Frost/Scindo/Sobek, but I am constantly getting better at using them, even if they don't rank up anymore to quantify this.

True "Mastery" is the growth of your actual skill, not arbitrary numbers you gain because your rank with a particular piece of equipment isn't maxed. Mastery Rank should reflect this.

Edited by Soldatto

Thousands of hours and ppl didn't bother to get some mastery, really?

Sorry I can't sympathize with them. Within 1,5k hours I got enough resources to build every weapon, frame and dojo tech in the game (with a self made dojo). You don't even need Draco, just take something with you to infinite void mission.

Sorry I can't sympathize with them. Within 1,5k hours I got enough resources to build every weapon, frame and dojo tech in the game (with a self made dojo). You don't even need Draco, just take something with you to infinite void mission.

Yes, because I want to see MR30 people that have every gun with ZERO kills on each of them, because obviously they mastered spamming Miasma/Shield Polarize/Radial Javelin to power level gear on low level planets.

I have an Excalibur with a Glaive that has 50K kill on it, because THAT is what I use when i go into missions, but I'm low MR because THAT is almost all I use when I go into missions. I can't gain MR because I'm actually busy playing the game with my favorite gear. Fancy that.

The Login system will remain "non optimal" no matter what is picked as a reference point, because ALL metric in this game can be ... what the expression you kids use these days, "cheesed"? I saw someone with a rather new Carrier Prime with 30 million XP on it. Pretty sure his Sentinel did not kill 30 Million XP worth of mobs, which means it had been "soaking up" kills from AoE spam farming.

Using MR for login rewards will just turn out to be a decent "average" way to do it, and anyway, if you think MR20, will get FAR superior stuff, you are dreaming. It will just be a little better. There is no way DE will go overboard simply because you have proven you know how to play the Warframe Slot Shuffle minigame.

Edited by DSpite

What?

There is no point getting different weapons UNLESS you like the damn weapons.

Also, "use the weapons"? Please show me where you actually have to "use the weapons" in order to get MR. You make them, put them on your back, and just run the mission with a totally different weapon, and the weapon you are not using, levels up anyway. It hits 30, you sell it get another one.

"Slot Juggling MR" more like it.

Seriously? What if someone has bought slots and kept 100+ guns, but simply tried them and did not like them, because say, excessive recoil (some shotguns) or awkward mechanics (Phage) and left them on Rank 1-5?

You know the word "grind"? I always say that this game has no real grind, because it does not force you to do anything, well, if you follow your own logic right here, and somehow "forced" players to level all the weapons they DONT like the feel of, you are in fact putting "grind" INTO the game.

If the logins rewards gave MUCH better stuff for high MR - which they won't - people with 1000+ hours and only 4 Frames and 10 guns will be wondering why that is, and they should, since MR can be trivialized by using extremely repetitive and boring gameplay.

A term called "Mastery" should actually involve some "Mastery". In here, we basically reach Black Belt in Karate by just beating up large amounts of defenseless kids in the playground, while then the guy actually training with his Master 24/7 sits on a lower belt.

Mastery? Really?

Edited by DSpite