Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Oculus Rift Costs $600

TheErebus.

Yup. All interest lost.

We'll see what price Valve/HTC decides to make the Vive headset. If they get it to $300 or below then I know which headset I'm buying. It also sounds like they're very close to release.

31cc068d8a34317cb79288e54a36bc40.png

I'm a lot more interested in the Vive from a technological standpoint too. Namely the camera on the front of the headset; it'll help keep you from bumping into things, and you'll be able to see out of the headset if you need to pause the game, change something on your PC, etc.

What are those peripherals? That looks way better.

rift is still a new technolegy, with very promising potential, but, like with everything that is new, it will cost alot at first.

i really want to post a link with compilation of 50 virtual reality games, but some of them are NSFW (even though the person censore it, might still be inapropriate cause japanies and stuff)

Edit: here is something rather safe (ignore the title and clickbait tumbnail)

you can have a virtual character in your world within maybe 10 years, now, about games, its easier since its within the virtual world constraints, to have the power to interact with your own hands with animated objects, with more mobility then something like PS4, and is compatible with possibly all the consoles, or perhaps newer gen consoles, its defenitly worth the price.

this is just with oculest rift and kinect jurry rigged together.

Edited by BloodKitten

I don't see what the problem is. VR is a step forward from 3d vision surround and eyefinity where you have to have multiple displays and wear doofy sunglasses. Those setups cost well over $600. You are paying less and you don't need to sacrifice desk space for a better experience. What you are paying now is early adoption. Once they figure out better ways for manufacturing or feel they recovered from R&D, it'll be cheaper from here on out.

Besides a lot of games that support it now weren't made for VR in the first place. Much like 4k displays/tvs first came out when they were ludicrously expensive with no 4k content.

Edited by CoreMatte

link_start_by_evaeri-d5nkntq.gif

30% risk of death guaranteed! Lol

I received Gear VR for my birthday and thus far am pretty impressed with the overall experience. Granted it is in no way built for hardcore gaming, but very enjoyable. My next VR purchase will be the PS VR headset when it arrrives, hoping for a wholey better experience with more immersion, also hoping all games have controller support and don't require move to play.

Edited by (PS4)appretice

What are those peripherals? That looks way better.

The small cubes are used to map out the room in a 3D manner so that you can receive a subtle warning (such as a wireframe "wall") overlaid in the VR headset's view to let you know if you're getting too close to an object or wall in the real world (so you don't bump into stuff).

The two wands on either side are controllers; big round pads are touchpad-joysticks (like those found on the Steam controller), have triggers on the back, and a few other buttons; the halo part of it is used for tracking/orientation purposes with the two sensor cubes.

From what I've heard and read, the system is VERY accurate; i.e. in the demos when users looked down they saw their VR hands exactly where they thought their real hands would be, based on where they were holding the controllers.

I don't see what the problem is. VR is a step forward from 3d vision surround and eyefinity where you have to have multiple displays and wear doofy sunglasses. Those setups cost well over $600. You are paying less and you don't need to sacrifice desk space for a better experience. What you are paying now is early adoption. Once they figure out better ways for manufacturing or feel they recovered from R&D, it'll be cheaper from here on out.

Besides a lot of games that support it now weren't made for VR in the first place. Much like 4k displays/tvs first came out when they were ludicrously expensive with no 4k content.

You don't see the problem? My wallet does.... :3

Do you want the Matrix? Because that's how you get the Matrix.

No, you get Matrix by starting a war against AI and then losing horribly.

Than being said, VR sure looks damn promising. Could be a pretty interesting step forward but right now I am too poor to afford such things >_>

Edited by EvilChaosKnight

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/6/10722212/oculus-rift-price-shipping-date-ces-2016

Yep, the VR headset costs $600. I wasn't interested in getting one in the first place, but now I know for a fact that I'm not going to get one.

The pre-orders will ship out March of 2016. So get 'em if you want.

The requirements to even use them don't exactly help either :/

NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater

Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater

8GB+ RAM

Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output

2x USB 3.0 ports

Windows 7 SP1 or newer

The requirements to even use them don't exactly help either :/

NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater

Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater

8GB+ RAM

Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output

2x USB 3.0 ports

Windows 7 SP1 or newer

This is a slightly above average PC. At least by my standards.

And I'm a poor AF slav.

• 3 weeks later...