Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Exalted Blade Rework Ideas

Ameijin-Grey

I'm not trying to ruin Excalibur for anyone, I just feel that his main ability could be executed with a bit more finesse. I believe if they started barring entire warframes behind certain mastery ranks, there will be an uprising! People act like not spamming an energy wave after every single chop will destroy Excalibur. Is that really all he is to you people?

No..I actually just really like how he works. It brings back nostalgia from Tomb Raider:Legends were you put together and use excalibur.

Alright, can I have show of hands of all those who played far enough to notice that at some point in time, spamming E doesn't deal enough damage to kill everything or even lower enemy health much and pressing 2 to radial blind too often will run you out of energy and so you had to resort to using the sliding blind and using the stance move that knocks down enemies at the last strike?

So?

Noone?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Sorry if I come across as being too harsh but this has happened so many times before already and I'm seriously sick of it already. Everytime excalibur gets fun to play with, he gets nerfed till he's crap to the point they rework him again then rinse repeat.

I still think they should just lock him behind a high MR rank because maybe for once, people will start looking at him as something else other then "starter frame = must be the lousiest"

Edited by OoKeNnEtHoO

Alright, can I have show of hands of all those who played far enough to notice that at some point in time, spamming E doesn't deal enough damage to kill everything or even lower enemy health much and pressing 2 to radial blind too often will run you out of energy and so you had to resort to using the sliding blind and using the stance move that knocks down enemies at the last strike?

So?

Noone?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Look man, I understand that you love this Warframe. People don't like change, I get it. This thread is just about ideas as to how Excalibur can be changed, and nothing more. If you dislike the fact that people want to change Excalibur, make a separate thread about why people should not ever talk about changing Excalibur. 

I'm sorry for trying to progress an otherwise mindless E spamming Warframe ability. Instead of commenting on a thread that is supposed to be progressive, why don't you take your business elsewhere?

making energy waves less frequent doesnt stop E spam, make combos cooler/ do more damage/ cover a wider area/ have a gap closer, and then people would stop spamming E.

making energy waves less frequent doesnt stop E spam, make combos cooler/ do more damage/ cover a wider area/ have a gap closer, and then people would stop spamming E.

The problem isn't spamming E. The problem is that each tap of E creates a shockwave imo. It waters down the concept, you don't even have to be stationary or know any combos to execute it. What ways would you change Exalted Blade specifically? 

I think the flying blades should not be able to pass through walls, because it's a bit too strong in clan PVP. Everything else if fine though. I just don't like seeing people press 4 and spam E because it doesn't feel as they are contributing as much to the team as much as, lets say a Limbo rift walking and healing allies with Banish or a trinity.

The problem isn't spamming E. The problem is that each tap of E creates a shockwave imo. It waters down the concept, you don't even have to be stationary or know any combos to execute it. What ways would you change Exalted Blade specifically? 

im fine with certain combos making a shockwave at certain points, aslong as they make the combos good

You know what would be cool?

Making Excalibur's Exalted Blade have a stance slot like function that you could add augment-like mods to, and they would focus on either his blades or his sword. SO you could have builds that focus on making powerful and fast waves at the expense of his sword damage, or have builds that focus on a really powerful sword that can make a really powerful but really slow wave with charge attacks.

So you can pick what you want to make of the frame. Feel like being a proper swordsman? Take the sword mod. Feel like making waves (oh the puns)? Pick the wave one.

Valkyr's Hysteria isn't mindlessly spamming E? Wukong's Primal Fury? How about Ivara's Artemis Bow?

From the looks of it, you're just picking on Excalibur, and out of all the Frames that could use tweaking, he isn't one of them. Other players, like myself, really enjoy the blade waves. Why propose that it's a bad idea, and that it needs to be changed? It's worked thus far.

Excalibur is my personal favorite and go-to Frame. It's not required to spam Exalted Blade, and I honestly dislike that players do spam it, but I'm not voting to change Exalted Blade just because I disagree with how others use it.

Not that I disagree, but using Artemis Bow as an example doesn't help your point. It's no where near on the same level as some of the others.

As an Excal main I have seen and played through a lot of his changes over the years. The good and the bad. I do think Exalted could be tweaked and I am mostly referring to the waves. Maybe it could only produce waves when used with Slash Dash or as many people suggested charge attacks or certain combos. It could also be kinda like Artemis Bow, where it's based on usage. Normally it's just a toggle ability w/o waves that drains energy over time, then you can "channel" and shoot out waves that costs extra energy to shoot off like 5 energy per swing.

I also really like Evanescent's idea.

well, at least it's not a Valkyr thread I suppose. nice to see people complain about a different frame.

I'll admit that your "only if Charge attack/Channelling" idea is way fairer than other proposed reworks, credit where credit's due, but I still don't agree; the waves make Excalibur Unique compared to other Melee frames like Valkyr and Wukong who really ARE melee-only with their Ults. Excalibur doesn't have Valkyr's invincibility, or Wukong's reach, so that's why he has the waves. plus Umbra is sometime soon-ish, so it's a really bad time to talk about this really.

Excalibur is where he needs to be, to the point where the next two reworks (Mag and Volt) are going to be "Excalibur-Tier". they are literally basing their next reworks off of him, so what does that tell you?

Personally I'd like to see two things happen to exalted blade.

One is that the wave ONLY happens at some points within combos and when charge-attacking. This is so the frame wouldn't be considered a cookie-cutter "press 4, mash E". But then again, this is all up to players themselves, I personally have built my excal to be as tanky as possible with abilities given no attention. Am I 1 hour T3 survival run viable? I doubt it, but frankly I couldn't care less given my less then positive opinion on such things. 

I also think that if this were to come true and the EB wave attack being only generated through charge attacks and combos, that the effect itself could be buffed to not only doing more damage but maybe things like guaranteed status procs. And I don't know if this is how it works currently, but if you haven't noticed then hits with the waves don't count to your melee counter while as melee hits with the actual blade do. So imagine the damage the EB wave could do if you had built up a melee multiplier. 

Second idea is... way more out there and likely not going to happen. But I like to imagine what would happen if the melee weapon we had equipped actually altered the form of our EB. Meaning if you have Orthos equipped, your EB will take the form or a spear or a halbert. If you use a Scinto or fraggor, EB takes the form of a heavy axe or maul. And so forth.

What I mean is that all the melee weapons in the game right now could be boiled down to maybe five or six main types. Swords, dual blades, heavy weapons, polearms, hand-to-hand and "special". What this means is that weapons like single daggers, longswords, nikanas, machetes and heavy swords count as Swords and use the normal EB form we have now. If you use any of the sparring or gauntlet weapons like kokage, ankyros or obex, EB takes a "hand-to-hand" form of claws or small blades on hands and feet. And so forth for all melee weapons with "special" being given to weapons like whips, glaives, hook-blades and the like, EB form being some weird, out there mix of these weapon types. 

Additionally, the "wave" effect would be different on some forms. Swords and dual blades would have standard waves, while as heavy blades would do radial splash, polearms could be thrown like javelins etc. 

Edited by Lakais

Ahh the delicous salt of people fearing for their energy wave spam.

I don't like having excal in my squad because he ruins the fun for me.

The fun of going close quarters and slicing and dicing the enemy into little pieces.

How does he ruin it? Energy waves ... everywhere. Killing everything. Whereever I go on the map.

I don't care if someone gets more kills than me unless my kill count is 0

I'd say add damage falloff to the waves (uncapped, so the waves will deal like 1 damage at max range) so if they want to spam their waves they have to move at least to deal some damage.

How does one go this far to change something that have already been revamped. This latest revamp of Excalibur is by far the best anyone got out of the frame. Exalted spammer or not, he does not need to be changed.

If you don't have any progressive ideas on the matter, don't discourage others from trying to a bit more innovative on the matter of Exalted Blade. You act like Warframes are allowed to be changed only once and it's false. 

All your ideas are a nerf to the frame.

If you don't like the blade waves, use a Valk or Ivara.

Or just equip a blood rush and a body count and maiming strike on a melee weapon on any frame.

The only change excal needs is for each E to shoot out 3 blade waves. Maybe a new augment mod for that?

Stop telling people what to use, this is a post for ideas not keeping him the same.

You know what would be cool?

Making Excalibur's Exalted Blade have a stance slot like function that you could add augment-like mods to, and they would focus on either his blades or his sword. SO you could have builds that focus on making powerful and fast waves at the expense of his sword damage, or have builds that focus on a really powerful sword that can make a really powerful but really slow wave with charge attacks.

So you can pick what you want to make of the frame. Feel like being a proper swordsman? Take the sword mod. Feel like making waves (oh the puns)? Pick the wave one.

Hey I like that idea. And the people who focus on power would benefit from Valkyrs Hysteria or Volt's abilities as well!

aaww valkyrs want to be the only viable in HL.  aawww that too cute. other thing, De say ( Mag and Volt are both on the list to receive a review, and should receive an overhaul similar to Excalibur's level.) so excalibur never going to have a rework. N E V E R.

Ahh the delicous salt of people fearing for their energy wave spam.

I don't like having excal in my squad because he ruins the fun for me.

The fun of going close quarters and slicing and dicing the enemy into little pieces.

How does he ruin it? Energy waves ... everywhere. Killing everything. Whereever I go on the map.

I don't care if someone gets more kills than me unless my kill count is 0

I'd say add damage falloff to the waves (uncapped, so the waves will deal like 1 damage at max range) so if they want to spam their waves they have to move at least to deal some damage.

My thoughts exactly. I can totally see people complaining about having to get close range with a SWORD to kill enemies regardless. 

Personally I'd like to see two things happen to exalted blade.

One is that the wave ONLY happens at some points within combos and when charge-attacking. This is so the frame wouldn't be considered a cookie-cutter "press 4, mash E". But then again, this is all up to players themselves, I personally have built my excal to be as tanky as possible with abilities given no attention. Am I 1 hour T3 survival run viable? I doubt it, but frankly I couldn't care less given my less then positive opinion on such things. 

I also think that if this were to come true and the EB wave attack being only generated through charge attacks and combos, that the effect itself could be buffed to not only doing more damage but maybe things like guaranteed status procs. And I don't know if this is how it works currently, but if you haven't noticed then hits with the waves don't count to your melee counter while as melee hits with the actual blade do. So imagine the damage the EB wave could do if you had built up a melee multiplier. 

Second idea is... way more out there and likely not going to happen. But I like to imagine what would happen if the melee weapon we had equipped actually altered the form of our EB. Meaning if you have Orthos equipped, your EB will take the form or a spear or a halbert. If you use a Scinto or fraggor, EB takes the form of a heavy axe or maul. And so forth.

What I mean is that all the melee weapons in the game right now could be boiled down to maybe five or six main types. Swords, dual blades, heavy weapons, polearms, hand-to-hand and "special". What this means is that weapons like single daggers, longswords, nikanas, machetes and heavy swords count as Swords and use the normal EB form we have now. If you use any of the sparring or gauntlet weapons like kokage, ankyros or obex, EB takes a "hand-to-hand" form of claws or small blades on hands and feet. And so forth for all melee weapons with "special" being given to weapons like whips, glaives, hook-blades and the like, EB form being some weird, out there mix of these weapon types.

Additionally, the "wave" effect would be different on some forms. Swords and dual blades would have standard waves, while as heavy blades would do radial splash, polearms could be thrown like javelins etc. 

I could totally understand making each individual blade more worth while definitely. I agree with your second idea's (it's probably farther than DE wants to go with Excalibur) also I think they want to keep Excalibur using "swords" to match his name?