Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Spoilers] The Plot Of Warframe Is Rubbish!

Dailenth

I've read the forum rules before posting. I've read them carefully and I don't found anything that says "don't criticize us" so I'm happily going to my room and get my whip to crack it to those responsible for the writing.

So to me feels like Warframe suffers from the Legend of Zelda Syndrome, or something similar because I never seen a game that the plot is written AFTER the game development process. You don't do that, I'm now forced to a experience that I don't "bond" with! It's like a movie where you get to be a wizard, and as you progress you become older and stronger and in the end it turns out hey you're not a wizard you're a summoned human by a spell who was used by a real human being!

That's how ridicilous and god awful plot that warframe has. I've been playing this game when it was released as an open beta in 2013, I eventually lost interest in late 2014 because of how long it took of them to add storyline quests but even that they are basically fillers that have almost nothing absolutely to do with the warframe. 14 Quests, only 4 are the main storyline quests.

So let me try piecing together, and you're welcome to discuss:

(Screw what the wikia says about tenno, they had to rewrite everything after update 18!)

You're Tenno, a HUMAN BEING and You awake from a Cryopod weak, dizzy and exausted like a HUMAN BEING would. You had also this ascaris attached to the tenno by vor in order to be controlled and used as a weapon but it failed and you get empowered by the very first ally you've met, the lotus. While you are now "revitalized" you make a run for your escape. As you escape to the exctaction the ship goes boom and you forced for a plan B then you found an abandoned ship "The Liset" as they named it, which is controlled by a Cephalon Ordis, then after his "cold boot" then after leaving you feel comfort and safe while you've made your two new friends Ordis and The Lotus, so far so good for now I felt Immersed immediately.

Then they introduce you to a bunch of opposed factions, the orokin and the infested blah blah blah, then we went hunting down the bad guys and build the new warframes, which surprisingly don't have any background except for Valkyr I think. Who needs background anyways when DE Wants MONEY! Then they introduced syndycates which I don't care at all etc.There is a lot of stuff I can add that are not official but I thought it's one of the games that makes you use your imagination instead, which not always work.

Look its going to take a long time to write everything down because I have to admit they worked on this game hard, but I had this impression of me being a badass ninja saving the solar system, serving the lotus, getting hunted by a creepy dude the stalker and be a completely greedy tat endlessly grinding for money.

Then Update 18 came up and it's the final nail to the coffin, I found it devastating. When I started playing Warframe I enjoyed the experience of being a Freelancer Ninja making allies and enemies, side quests that made you feel like a human being. The lotus was like overly protective mother, I remember she threatened Teshin to not lure the Tenno into danger. Ordis too, upon discovering the monster that Jordas was he was terrified because he put his Tenno friend into danger. He put a human being into danger. Would they worry if a tin puppet controlled by somebody else from light years away? Then what the hell was that with Update 18? Seriously? Are we puppet masters now?

Firstly the models are god awful, I turned "the operator" into a clown because It's a reference to the plot of Warframe, a JOKE! (ba dum tss). The voice acting also sounds like they're the purehearted wimps from high school in texas, which has nothing to do with the personality that I was immersed with. I hoped I was a badass ninja saving the solar system, being respected by the syndicates accepting me as their hero, fighting villains and killing thousands of opposed faction troopers, being a part of an amazing Tenno Clan and overall awesomeness.. I mean what Is this? Why?

I don't want to be a wimp puppet master, I want to be a badass ninja. De you dun goofed bad and I'm very dissapointed.

Edited by Haldos
Removed profanity

Being a human being must really suck. Also, I came here because of the title saying "soilers", which I found funny.

I understand your gripe with the plot. A lot of people have expressed similar opinions. I thought The Second Dream was done quite well, but that the big reveal was handled a little poorly. Some foreshadowing might've made that pill less bitter for some.

I do think this trope can be handled well, but it takes a keen pen-hand, strong lore, a sense of immersion, and well-planned motivations for the in-game cast we are starting to develop. We need to delve into the internal struggles of what it means to be Tenno, and the external struggles of what these child warriors represent. We need to ask the hard questions, and really think about the implications.

If we skip all that, and go straight to the cliche "protagonist = good; things you shoot = evil" mentality, we'll have lost a chance at something great.

We are children fighting blindly, simply because we are told to. We've always been that way, and the Lotus, regardless of claims of love, is not all that different from our cold-gold emperors. We kill because that is all we know. How twisted is that? We should investigate this more.

I wrote this little fanfic/Alad journal entry just after playing The Second Dream, with the same worries you have now, and the same hope I try to hold on to:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/573387-spoiler-you-tenno-are-the-progeny-of-that-which-you-hold-by-strings/

Edited by Ithloniel

I prefer to think of myself as the Warframe, who keeps a kid who cooks my drugs in the back (Focus)

I call her my, little Mary (for Marijuana) 

I'm the Warframe, I'm the ninja, the kid is my drug cooker and power source.

I feel better that way.

Every hero needs a little sidekick anyway :3 And I gladly kick her sides (joke)

Edited by YasaiTsume

You will notice that the worst part of this game is actually their fans, which are oblivious beyond belief and not capable of critical thinking.

Good job on reading the forum rules, however you may have missed the bit about not insulting people.

And you just insulted the whole community.

After reading your whole post, you seem incredibly biased. The path the game took doesn't follow that which makes you happy and you feel the need to rant about it. That's fine and all, but there are those who like the path the game took. 

So DE didn't goof, they followed the path they want their game to follow, they warned us beforehand that some of us may not like the direction the game goes down.

The story honestly made sense, the wikia had made mentions that the warframes are suits (some would say that they had the tecnocyte virus in them), pre U18 one would wonder then are the suits being controlled or is someone IN them controlling them. I would have loved to see more with the Tenno, being able to control them in a social situation amongst other tenno or if there are any humans, humans. I want to see the expansion of the Tenno, hear more about the children, Margulis. It raises more questions; where does the Lotus 'live' if not in the Liset? How is the Tenno more powerful or longer lasting than a human being? CAN we get the opportunity the move around as the Tenno, outside of the warframe?

In the whole lore and theory side of it, I want to know more about the Tenno, their role with the Orokin and so much more.

There was nothing stating that the Tenno (Pre-Update 18) were human. They were mute soldiers under the protection and orders of the Lotus.

The story is "rubbish" to you, because it messes with how you wanted the story to be, or how it should go.

Your typical argument that every time I engage you encounter these. It's not like I wanted to be this I wanted to be that. They just ruined completely everything by deciding a plot twist having no basis whatsoever.

I do kind of agree with you OP but some of the things you say sound more like a rant.

I've been wondering for the past 2 years. Will warframe ever be able to engage me with its story? So far theres is no effect or touching drama or twists. Much of the story seems more like a TV commercial with sidestorys where i am detached. Mostly its driven by the incredibly short questlines. With no continuation that links events to the building of the universe. Also doesnt help how every questline is tied to a "product new weapon, frame or enemy."

Whats more the fact everything is practically a clone or an android and we're surrounded by immortals. Have any main characters in Warframes storyline died?

Have we seen any evidence a functional society or torments outside of that 1 time Alad V chopped up a tenno in a promo video?

Good job on reading the forum rules, however you may have missed the bit about not insulting people.

And you just insulted the whole community.

After reading your whole post, you seem incredibly biased. The path the game took doesn't follow that which makes you happy and you feel the need to rant about it. That's fine and all, but there are those who like the path the game took. 

So DE didn't goof, they followed the path they want their game to follow, they warned us beforehand that some of us may not like the direction the game goes down.

There's always a minority of the fanbase that is never happy with what the developers do. I loved the Second Dream Quest and want to see more behind the Tenno, the Orokin, a little bit of Alad V after he was referred to as Orokin. I'd like to see DE bring in more quests, closer to the heart of the Tenno themselves.

I do kind of agree with you OP but some of the things you say sound more like a rant.

I've been wondering for the past 2 years. Will warframe ever be able to engage me with its story? So far theres is no effect or touching drama or twists. Much of the story seems more like a TV commercial with sidestorys where i am detached. Mostly its driven by the incredibly short questlines. With no continuation that links events to the building of the universe. Also doesnt help how every questline is tied to a "product new weapon, frame or enemy."

Whats more the fact everything is practically a clone or an android and we're surrounded by immortals. Have any main characters in Warframes storyline died?

Have we seen any evidence a functional society or torments outside of that 1 time Alad V chopped up a tenno in a promo video?

Like I mentioned this game suffers from Legend of Zelda Syndrome, The puppet master behind all that should have been introduced beforehand not at this point.

Edited by HaxBox

Being a human being must really suck. Also, I came here because of the title saying "soilers", which I found funny.

I understand your gripe with the plot. A lot of people have expressed similar opinions. I thought The Second Dream was done quite well, but that the big reveal was handled a little poorly. Some foreshadowing might've made that pill less bitter for some.

I do think this trope can be handled well, but it takes a keen pen-hand, strong lore, a sense of immersion, and well-planned motivations for the in-game cast we are starting to develop. We need to delve into the internal struggles of what it means to be Tenno, and the external struggles of what these child warriors represent. We need to ask the hard questions, and really think about the implications.

If we skip all that, and go straight to the cliche "protagonist = good; things you shoot = evil" mentality, we'll have lost a chance at something great.

We are children fighting blindly, simply because we are told to. We've always been that way, and the Lotus, regardless of claims of love, is not all that different from our cold-gold emperors. We kill because that is all we know. How twisted is that? We should investigate this more.

I wrote this little fanfic/Alad journal entry just after playing The Second Dream, with the same worries you have now, and the same hope I try to hold on to:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/573387-spoiler-you-tenno-are-the-progeny-of-that-which-you-hold-by-strings/

Well if the new event was any indication; we did the bad thing. Just look at the lines that the acolytes say in encounters and the fact that they are coded to not attack you unless you attack them first.

Like I mentioned this game suffers from Legend of Zelda Syndrome, The puppet master behind all that should have been introduced beforehand not at this point.

That might've not been a story element that they thought of in early beta. Story wasn't a big thing back then, just making the game fun to play was their priority to get a good player base and some revenue. Story was something that why would work on later.

Edited by PUR3K1LL3R

Honestly I don't see the Problem. The tenno thought the were human (their dream of being the frame) and Ordis missed many memories, while Lotus wanted to keep that information a secret and keep her children sleeping. Or did I miss something?

And there were hints, we might not have known how to understand them, but they were there like Embers Codex Entry. And well the tenno felt everything that happend to the frames, so it makes sense that endangering the frames means endangering the operator (and maybe the dream, do we know what exacctly happens, when a frame is killed? Can it be killed?).

I agree on the voiceacting though. I liked the Questline, but I'm not fond of a predefined charakter talking for me :/

My only gripe is that it's a child. The model and speech can always be improved and the puppeteer explains how we control multiple frames. However multiple times we are told that the tenno were twisted, brought back from the void, experimented on by the orokin, and left in this pod for how long? Yet we get a seemingly perfectly fine child, species doesn't matter but a child just doesn't seem not to fit with the rest of the the game, it's vastly out of place. Which could be a good thing in the future but for now just seems wrong.

Not necessarily. Remember how Lotus goes on about how the tenno founded the different teachings. The conversation after defeating the stalker in your ship basically indicates this child is much more intelligent than a regular child. You also hear how they talk about other factions during missions, again pointing to a higher understanding.

*Though that there is another problem with how the lore is presented so late into the game. By the time someone already has the operator they already know about the factions and what they are.

Uhh, dude, there is a lot more to Warframe than that...

ntXNtpC.png

Yeah, the problem here is that these are in order.

By the way a player progresses through the game, and how a new player can't play most of these their understanding of the lore is very different to an older player's understanding.

Edited by Postal_pat

That might've not been a story element that they thought of in early beta. Story wasn't a big thing back then, just making the game fun to play was their priority to get a good player base and some revenue. Story was something that why would work on later.

This is what i've always thought. I honestly dont expect much story wise. The game itself is epic fun and the gameplay has brought hundreds of hours of joy without a story.

I dont want to see more of the Tenno story because what i've seen so far they're boring. And the game play itself has carried the game so far without a story. Does Warframe really need one? especially if its characters are all immortal clones incapable of love or basic emotional values.

They just ruined completely everything by deciding a plot twist having no basis whatsoever.

The reveal isn't even a plot twist if you've been playing attention to the lore though. The Tenno turning out to be what they are has been hinted at long before The Second Dream.

Edited by EmptyDevil

Yeah, the problem here is that these are in order.

By the way a player progresses through the game, and how a new player can't play most of these their understanding of the lore is very different to an older player's understanding.

That is why all of those boxes are quests :)

(Green ones are already quests, blue ones are past events/suggested quests, orange ones are "boss" quests and grey ones are trials.)

Edited by DrBorris

The whole Tenno being human idea didn't bother me in the slightest when I found out in the Second Dream. What did bother me however was the whole idea of Transference. Generally when you transfer something, you swap it with another item. So if Transference is placing the tenno's consciousness into the warframe, then what was there to begin with? The only reason I became bothered by this is Excalibur's codex entry where it states: "...We took the twisted few who returned from that place. We built a frame around them, a conduit of their affliction...". I dunno, but something isn't right here.

The whole Tenno being human idea didn't bother me in the slightest when I found out in the Second Dream. What did bother me however was the whole idea of Transference. Generally when you transfer something, you swap it with another item. So if Transference is placing the tenno's consciousness into the warframe, then what was there to begin with? The only reason I became bothered by this is Excalibur's codex entry where it states: "...We took the twisted few who returned from that place. We built a frame around them, a conduit of their affliction...". I dunno, but something isn't right here.

Question... what is inside the Warframes and what are the blueprints for the Warframes based on? (surely was not the Orokin, they did not understand the Void)

There is a lot we still do not know.

Well, you see, don't listen to those texans down there. They're unevolved citizens scared of the fabled 'snoe'. The Snoe is said to be a mighty beast with the power of a thousand shotguns, cheeseburgers, and american flags combined. Everything is so cold around it, like ice cubes, that people solidate and start to die. But you see, there are the mighty Northern Americans of countless myths. They have been said to grow a thick coat of fur, using the 'sckee jacket' as their shield and 'eyes pikz' as their sword. They fight the Snoe every winter, but recently have been said to be succumbing to it with newer generations of Northern Americans.

I went too far didn't I

There really isn't a twist, though it has been a somewhat slow full reveal; most of the codex, scans, and little bits about the Tenno have hinted that we are the Children of Zariman while the warframes themselves are infested tech repurposed to give us surrogates to control instead of sending us around in the wild. I too was surprised a little as I had honestly though we, while still the Children of Zariman, had grown and were wearing the suits but as many energy theory supporters asked; how would we fit all the body types within the logical confines of each warframe without losing or gaining mass? May answer has always been the same as to where I keep my ammo and pickups or Ordis stores all my gear - void based hammerspace equivalents - but the use of Surrogates or Avatar based warframes makes sense and covers both basis. The mass inside the 'suit' is pretty much grown with the blueprints of the suit out of infested tissues as the warframe itself is. This is why Hunhow refers to the warframe as an empty shell, similar to Lephantis and J3 Golem, but also goes farther to call it a Golem. Golem could refer to poetically referring to the Hebrew construct without a soul - basically a clay robot that could be given orders on holy scrolls - or referring to the term for Orokin Infested tech bioweapons - a Golem.

As to the storyline flowchart, that looks like some nice work! I think Stolen Dreams might be best included in the extended tutorials section and the New Strange come after, linked like Man of Few Words and Limbo theorem and such to concepts taught in the tutorial missions. The Mutalist storyline also connects into Natah while Stolen Dreams and New Strange link and hint to the Natah and Second dream as well. The Alad V we just helped in Shadow Debt is the, at least seemingly, cured Alad V who infested himself and tried to make a mutalist empire and tried to reject the Corpus concepts of Profit through the influence of the mutalist technocyte strain he created from Zanuka and warframe research. The obtaining of the cure was detailed in Tubemen of Regor which happened before Natah as well. I have long come to the conclusion that Alad V moves the plot more than any other character, player or npc.