The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Glaive Prime Worth It?

Spar_k

Question

In your opinions Tenno, is the glaive prime worth getting/potato'ing? In addition to that, what frames does it work well with? It seems that I can't find a set to save my life, and I'm wondering if the search for a set would be worth it. Also, this part of the question might be better is PHP/trading, but does anyone know who much a set costs? Not my main concern though.

In my opinion thrown melee weapons aren't worth it.

Unless to play with a trinity bless, or with ivara (navigator), it's mainly not worth it.

A redeemer is better than a glaive prime. But that's just my opinion.

As for "why" do I think that :

- Low damage

- Very slow to throw

- Mods like quick return or power throw should have their own slot just for thrown melee.

- Low crit chance

- Can barely play on combo.

I do think these weapons are fun to play with, but not powerful enough.

Edited by Trichouette

29 minutes ago, Trichouette said:

Unless to play with a trinity bless, or with ivara (navigator), it's mainly not worth it.

- Low damage

- Very slow to throw

- Mods like quick return or power throw should have their own slot just for thrown melee.

- Low crit chance

Counters to all your reasons here: (TL;DR the cerata rocks)

• Their damage is in their explosion mainly- save for cerata which just plain has great damage overall.
  • They fixed this issue a LONG time ago. The charge attack is now quick, responsive, and iirc scales up with your attack speed.
  • I think these mods should just be removed personally. Power throw's explosion on last bounce could just be made innate, as well as the punch through. As for quick return, I guess it should stick around but it doesn't need it's own slot, it's a choice mod. Remove all choice mods/give them their own slot just so you can fit your "required" mods on? That's not ok design.
  • Again, cerata. High crit chance. Very nice weapon, check it out.
  • Combos... eh... I don't understand what you're saying here. I think it's "it's hard to perform the combos"? If that's the case, try astral twilight. It's combos are well telegraphed and easy to time even with a super-fast cerata. There's even a really useful "hold right click" combo that gives a good ranged throw straight in front repeatedly followed by a 360 circle. Pretty much perfect for any situation the default combo won't deal with.

EDIT: @OP I personally liked the glaive prime. Cerata imo tops it for general gameplay, but glaive prime has it's uses. It's better as a long ranged / AoE blaster.

Edited by Stratego89

Before the U18 nerf and later half fix for thrown melees, it might have been worth it. The Kestrel certainly was. But the main attraction of the Glaive Prime was the damage, which is easily outmatched by the Redeemer. Just get the Redeemer.

Since it's pretty expensive by now I'd say it's not worth it since you can get two other good thrown melee weapons without platinum. The Kestrel gets a syndicate mod and ragdolls enemies which opens them up for ground finishers and the Cerata has pure toxin damage on normal melee attacks and can be built for crit. Both of them can be built for self-damage / explosion as well.

so I have pretty much always hated the thrown weapons... I prefer to stab things and they are just quite lack-luster at that.

That being said, lately I have been playing Mag alot (so much so that I took off my Excal P avatar icon...) and having a blast with gunplay (I almost always go melee alone) and I actually use the glaive with my setup.  The thrown lifestrike is nice, as well as that 'one more' shot when I empty a magazine and still have some more work to do :D

all in all, glaives could use a bit of love...

3 hours ago, Trichouette said:

- Low damage

- Very slow to throw

- Low crit chance

I have faith that they'll get some stats buffed just like Scythes magically did this patch out of nowhere.

I love my Glaive Prime. Every so often i find something new about it that makes me love it more.

If you play Loki, right after a RD they're vulnerable to finisher damage from melee weapons. I chuck mine directly into a crowded space and kill 5 - 10 enemies at once. Add in a Whirlwind mod and you can do this to enemies from across the map. Its just a ton of fun to learn and use.

"worth it"

sets cost like 200+ plat for just a tiny bit more of punchthrough over normal glaive

Cerata does the same thing, slightly homes in and becomes a boss with powerthrow, base toxin damage is AMAZING for everything

for blessing it really doesnt matter at all

i like the looks of it