Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframes are actually people

Sixty5

They are built to look like humans so the people that have to deal with them aren't scared or as uncomfortable as they would if it was just a formless thing. It is a very human thing to do. Notice how in so many stories, robots and even AI (not physical) is built to look human, because that will make people feel more comfortable, less scared of them.

Did you watch Higurashi? Yeah, silly old thing, but even there they use that "likeness" as a reason, Hanyuu seemed to have the same age as Rika only to make it so Rika felt comfortable, not scared of her, because if not for that, Hanyuu would then appear much older, as she was much older when she died. She also acted much younger and really childish, which later you see that it's more of an act, she exaggerates her reactions to appear to have that young age, of course the author also uses  it to make the character funny, but even then the story has a reason for all that, and IMO, the Warframes were pretty much that when they come to their appearance and body features, also, remember they were created by someone, one of them was a Man, so... yeah!

If you have no memories and don't know what you are, anything you do will most likely be normal, because remember, you have no memories, every thing could be gone, what you thought that was right or wrong, what was normal and not normal, plus, it all "felt like a dream", so changing bodies could be something so normal in that "dream", that you never questioned, because that's all you knew, it was all you could remember since you woke up, without memories.

This is what confuses people and what most likely was the idea behind it, but we get confused because we know it all, we know it wasn't a dream, we the players have common sense, and changing bodies goes against our common sense, but the character had nothing, no knowledge.

"We built a frame around them, a conduit of their affliction."

A frame doesn't mean it's a Warframe. It could be the pods, which was one of the things that was actually done to conduit their "affliction", in case you heard all of Margulis' lines. They actually didn't explain exactly what she did to help the Tenno, as the Warframes were made using her research, it wasn't her who made them, perhaps she meant to make more human looking bodies so they could try to have regular lives? Maybe, or maybe it was something else, but she did make something that would put them to sleep and make it so they couldn't ear the "voices".

"This will stop the voices from taking hold. You will have to dream, my angel..."

All of those pods that we see, could be what they refer as "frames".

Curiously enough, the Infestation also makes you hear voices.

much like in Neon Genesis Evangelion they kept Lillith trapped and made the EVAs by copying it.

Only 01 was made from Lilith, and Humans. I'd say that they protected Lilith rather than trapping it, since if it wanted to leave, it would've done so a long time ago, but keeping it in place was both protecting it and themselves (because Lilith and Adam were never meant to come into contact, but Earth ended up getting both moons).
Evas in Rebuild get a bit questionable as it offer much less material to work with and also has some weird things going on that are never explained and WHERE'S THE LAST MOVIE?! :@

Edited by God_is_a_Cat_Girl

23 minutes ago, Evanescent said:

Ah but for a memory to persist there must be a consciousness to perceive!

Really?  I'm no neuroscientist so I can't really speak with much authority on the matter.  I would think conciousness doesn't require a human person involved in construction of the frame, just that it has an organic neural structure.  The memory was formed by the operator when the frame was tortured.  The frame was then copied and rebuilt for new operators (us) and the memories remain entangled in the frame's neural systems.

4 minutes ago, God_is_a_Cat_Girl said:

This is what confuses people and what most likely was the idea behind it, but we get confused because we know it all, we know it wasn't a dream, we the players have common sense, and changing bodies goes against our common sense, but the character had nothing, no knowledge.

Funny thing is, it was actually some time before players started to question how we could switch between the different frames.  For a long time people did just accept it until all the theories about mono-Tenno/poly-Tenno/energy-Tenno/etc. sprang up.

Edited by Katinka

26 minutes ago, Katinka said:

Really?  I'm no neuroscientist so I can't really speak with much authority on the matter.  I would think conciousness doesn't require a human person involved in construction of the frame, just that it has an organic neural structure.  The memory was formed by the operator when the frame was tortured.  The frame was then copied and rebuilt for new operators (us) and the memories remain entangled in the frame's neural systems.

Funny thing is, it was actually some time before players started to question how we could switch between the different frames.  For a long time people did just accept it until all the theories about mono-Tenno/poly-Tenno/energy-Tenno/etc. sprang up.

I was in favor of Tenno being energy beings that would control the surrogates after the Vor's Prize was released, but changed my idea to "it's more like a person controlling the Warframe from somewhere else, but they are the source of the raw void energy and the warframe molds it" later when we got some lore that supported that idea (I actually forget what it was), and then that glitched screen pretty much convinced me that I was right.

Frames like Limbo seemed to me like a huge hint that there was no human inside, or at the very least, not a living one, because he doesn't have most of his head in place.

IMO, the whole plan behind the Warframes is what Hunhow hints, something that dies and rises up again. A small but immortal army, one Warframe dies? We, the source, the brain are still alive, so we just jump into another Warframe and go back to fighting again. Until the source dies, there's no stopping us, Hunhow knows that well.

And that's a very desirable thing. In a regular army, you can replace fallen soldiers, but if they keep dying, you will eventually run out, plus, a soldier + gear being lost is a big loss, mostly because Soldiers start being hard to replace as at some point they don't have as much training, so they are a weaker asset, but we, controlling bodies from far and not dying, we might lose some gear, but we can go back, we didn't lose our training and perhaps, we got more knowledge from our defeat, the gear we can just make more or recover the lost gear, but the important part, our numbers, our knowledge, that wasn't lost, and that's our strongest weapon.

In the case of Valkyr, it might be something like what Vor seems to try to do, trap us and cut us out of the flock. Perhaps the whole deal behind Valkyr, is that perhaps, even if by accident, Alad V managed to trap an operator and he/she couldn't switch out, so he/she ended up going through the whole ordeal. But then, since the pre corpus skin was released, I pretty much choose to not take Valkyr's lore that seriously, mostly because the powers seemed to be related with her corpus lore, but then the skin just being a skin, seems to say otherwise (if pre corpus Valkyr was just angry already, nothing really changed so the experience and lore is worth nothing).

I actually liked the idea that we could get a Valkyr variant not a prime in place of a prime, and then release a Prime that was her original, but use that as a way to show why we have this lesser versions, this is, Prime and non prime being released at the same time, or even the non prime a week later for some live lore. We found a Prime version of a lost warframe and now we can mass produce it. Than have those being completely different but still Feline based.

1 hour ago, Katinka said:

A consciousness confirms a degree of sentience.

My question to you is this: Why would the operator's feelings be imprinted on the Warframe? If that's true then we should have memories of every time someone died in a Warframe. Why would the memories be copied when the blueprints were copied?

4 minutes ago, Evanescent said:

My question to you is this: Why would the operator's feelings be imprinted on the Warframe? If that's true then we should have memories of every time someone died in a Warframe. Why would the memories be copied when the blueprints were copied?

Actually, there was Void imprints (this is, memories) in the Limbo and Mirage quests.
In Mirage's it was like the Lotus was almost getting emotional. CAN I PLEASE REPLAY IT ALREADY.

It seems that the void just keep randoms things and we manage to replay/read those things. This is really obvious during the second dream and Inaros quest.

Just now, God_is_a_Cat_Girl said:

Actually, there was Void imprints (this is, memories) in the Limbo and Mirage quests.
In Mirage's it was like the Lotus was almost getting emotional. CAN I PLEASE REPLAY IT ALREADY.

It seems that the void just keep randoms things and we manage to replay/read those things. This is really obvious during the second dream and Inaros quest.

Source?

And while the void can keep it, it doesn't explain why the frame has developed a specific character and altered power state. Yes, an altered power kit, which a lot of people ignore. How did the intense torture change the frame's power kit?

4 minutes ago, Evanescent said:

Source?

And while the void can keep it, it doesn't explain why the frame has developed a specific character and altered power state. Yes, an altered power kit, which a lot of people ignore. How did the intense torture change the frame's power kit?

Read my previous post about my stance on Valkyr's case.

The lore is still there, but I wouldn't take it any serious until they release her prime. As open as I am to different understanding (like Frame not meaning the Warframes), her lore is hard to change if they are to make that skin a pre corpus thing.

Source is the Lotus spelling those memories to you.

4 hours ago, God_is_a_Cat_Girl said:

Read my previous post about my stance on Valkyr's case.

The lore is still there, but I wouldn't take it any serious until they release her prime. As open as I am to different understanding (like Frame not meaning the Warframes), her lore is hard to change if they are to make that skin a pre corpus thing.

Source is the Lotus spelling those memories to you.

The toughest thing about placing Valkyr Lorewise, is figuring out where she fits into the timeline.

Valkyr as we know her needs to exist in the world at the time of second dream, based on the state of Alad V, but we can't have Valkyr's running around until after Second Dream based on the fact that the Tenno are not yet awake and therefore moving between frames is iffy.

Frankly timeline wise the lore is a mess and that makes it really hard to infer additional information. 

I stand by the fact that valkyr's attitude comes from within the frame though.

4 hours ago, Evanescent said:

Consciousness still does not require a person in the construct of the frame.

Ever read a news article about someone make a life changing choices after a transplant operation?  Such as getting into motorcycling commpletely from nowhere and then finding out the donor was a biker?  Much like that.

6 minutes ago, Sixty5 said:

The toughest thing about placing Valkyr Lorewise, is figuring out where she fits into the timeline.

Valkyr as we know her needs to exist in the world at the time of second dream, based on the state of Alad V, but we can't have Valkyr's running around until after Second Dream based on the fact that the Tenno are not yet awake and therefore moving between frames is iffy.

I think the idea that the operator doesn't question it because of the dream like state and thus dream logic is a good explanation for frame switching before Second Dream and we really need to have frame switching happen otherwise the only canon frames on the go would be Mag, Excalibur, Volt as they are the only ones you can wake up in at the start of Vor's Prize.

I propose that the original warframes are the cloned zariman 10-0 survivors.

Like in Avatar, i order to use the Voidenergy and get a neural-sync, this would be a logical step.

The rhino Prime creature is humanoid, used to have a hard shell, and uses Rhinos powers. And is used by one of the tenno when closeby.

This is likely the birth of the Infested as well, the creaturea have an ancentral memory ; We are your flesh.

Seems so line up pretty well.

17 minutes ago, Katinka said:

Consciousness still does not require a person in the construct of the frame.

Ever read a news article about someone make a life changing choices after a transplant operation?  Such as getting into motorcycling commpletely from nowhere and then finding out the donor was a biker?  Much like that.

I think the idea that the operator doesn't question it because of the dream like state and thus dream logic is a good explanation for frame switching before Second Dream and we really need to have frame switching happen otherwise the only canon frames on the go would be Mag, Excalibur, Volt as they are the only ones you can wake up in at the start of Vor's Prize.

I really don't like the dreamlike state thing for switching frames. In a dream you accept things changing because you never see the changes, at least for me, my dreams jump from one to another. If you were switching frames there would have to be the knowledge of getting them and the process of switching, two things at odds with the dream state. Plus in the quest the operator really does seem to think that they were their frame. 

As far as those three being the only cannon frames, I'd say that game mechanics are working over lore there. It's evidenced in the fact that Valkyr was found in a cryopod. 

This is like saying breasted medieval armor has the sexuality and gender traits of a female and is a human. Also, Alad V(?) said during the second dream quest that he has dissected many Tenno and what he found did not make sense. That wouldn't be true if they were human, they'd have brains, nervous systems, etc.

In addition, the gender of the suits I don't think has to do with lore. Literally almost every character in anything is either male or female. Humans usually designate characters to be male or female and it makes sense because we relate with them more and the idea of being genderless or both genders still isn't understood by most.

3 minutes ago, Sixty5 said:

As far as those three being the only cannon frames, I'd say that game mechanics are working over lore there. It's evidenced in the fact that Valkyr was found in a cryopod. 

Then where do you draw the line of what is just game mechanic and what is lore?  If you don't accept switching frames prior to the completion of Second Dream then I guess that would have to put the Limbo Theorem quest after Second Dream too since Ordis specifically refers to us using the suit.

6 minutes ago, Katinka said:

Then where do you draw the line of what is just game mechanic and what is lore?  If you don't accept switching frames prior to the completion of Second Dream then I guess that would have to put the Limbo Theorem quest after Second Dream too since Ordis specifically refers to us using the suit.

Most likely, yeah. 

I'm still working on a proper timelone for all the story driven stuff in the game. 

Events make it excessively difficult though. 

Nice theory Sixty5, but how does crafting a new warframe with the individual parts: helmet, chassis, systems, and blueprint work with this?  I mean technically after we acquire the parts we build new Warframes on our ships in the foundry.  (Haha, I know that part isn't fully clear either...  Does it actually happen on the ship?  Are they delivered to us?  Etc...)

Thanks for the nice read man.  ;)

11 hours ago, Sixty5 said:

the original warframes built from the Orokin were made by exposing people to the Technocyte Virus. Warframes are people with a near total lack of conciousness, or copies of said people.

while I certainly wouldn't put it past the Orokin to do something as horrific as deliberately Infesting people, after all, they did a lot of questionable things, I believe that the Warframes are more based on an "idea" than a person. for example, why on earth, in a future of advanced technology and powerful weapons, would we need a frame themed around an Old West Gunslinger, or an early 20th Century Gentleman, or a Mythical creature such as a Dragon? it could be in relation to each Operators powers and personalities: for example, Rhino may have been piloted by a Headstrong, confident Male Tenno who enjoyed Brute Force over Stealth tactics. I reckon Tenno have seen Archives of Old Earth, showing our cultures, and that's what inspires them to stylise the frame to their desires. in the same regard, the Tenno may like the Female/Male form, and decide to use that as part of their Frame's theme as well. and there are frames that may have been made by those who don't really care, the androgynous frames like Equinox and Nezha.

that's my theory anyway.  

12 hours ago, Sixty5 said:

Warframes are people. 

Is it so hard to refrain from asserting your hypothesis as objective true while discussing it? what's wrong with "I think that.." or "It seems like..."

Sheesh.

I think that from a story perspective this would be messy. I think that it's much more likely to be a factor of design and "Dream, not of what you are... but of what you want to be" So the first Tenno pilot for the prototypes of each class shaped it's appearance. And I think that if there was any other being present in the Tenno-Warframe relationship it would feature much more heavily.

From a story perspective we don't need to be cast any more in the mengler-moreau-slavemaster mold. It really harms relatability.

So this doesn't seem likely to me

Edited by SilentMobius

7 hours ago, Evanescent said:

Source?

It didn't. Gersemi Valkyr has the same power kit just different FX. I'll put money on Valkyr Prime having the same kit again.

The whole "Would have had different powers" is player assumption, nothing more

Edited by SilentMobius

I'm gonna put in my two cents here.

I, all due respect, don't care for your theory, because, to me, it seems to counter too much of what we know of the Warframe universe: Tenno are the last remaining "true" humans, while the Grineer and Corpus are humanity's descendants. I kind of like the idea that there are no humans other than the Tenno remaining.

However, I don't think Warframes are simple robots or suits. I believe that there is an organic structure inside of them, which is supported by a lot of references the bosses have. In Vor's Prize, Vor refers to the Ascaris reaching your spine and taking control of you. A large number of bosses refer to what's "underneath the suit" or some such, and they also talk about spilling your blood, which a machine wouldn't really have. (Yes, I know, machines have fluids too, but I think spilling someone's blood is supposed to be more of a symbolic thing that you don't really achieve by getting motor oil everywhere.)

I believe that Warframes were created with living tissue and mechanical parts. I believe that there is a biological nervous system inside the Warframe, at least, and that the Warframe may, at some point, be capable of acting on its own. But anything else, I'm a little afraid to theorycraft, because as soon as 19.0 comes out, I'll be Prova-n wrong. Yes, the pun was completely necessary.

51 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

while I certainly wouldn't put it past the Orokin to do something as horrific as deliberately Infesting people, after all, they did a lot of questionable things, I believe that the Warframes are more based on an "idea" than a person. for example, why on earth, in a future of advanced technology and powerful weapons, would we need a frame themed around an Old West Gunslinger, or an early 20th Century Gentleman, or a Mythical creature such as a Dragon? it could be in relation to each Operators powers and personalities: for example, Rhino may have been piloted by a Headstrong, confident Male Tenno who enjoyed Brute Force over Stealth tactics. I reckon Tenno have seen Archives of Old Earth, showing our cultures, and that's what inspires them to stylise the frame to their desires. in the same regard, the Tenno may like the Female/Male form, and decide to use that as part of their Frame's theme as well. and there are frames that may have been made by those who don't really care, the androgynous frames like Equinox and Nezha.

that's my theory anyway.  

^ This. This is pretty much my theory on the Warframes' individuality. The Primes were the originals, each created with the intent to be used exclusively by one Tenno. Therefore, they were created such that the Tenno intended to control them could control the frame perfectly, with every feature of the frame being made to enhance the Tenno's connection to the frame.

All right. I'm done here. Ready for my downvotes. Peace out.

7 hours ago, sushidubya said:

Nice theory Sixty5, but how does crafting a new warframe with the individual parts: helmet, chassis, systems, and blueprint work with this?  I mean technically after we acquire the parts we build new Warframes on our ships in the foundry.  (Haha, I know that part isn't fully clear either...  Does it actually happen on the ship?  Are they delivered to us?  Etc...)

Thanks for the nice read man.  ;)

I just figured we get the blueprints, shove em into the Foundry and a frame pops out all built. 

I never went beyond assuming that the Foundry was some sort of fancy 3d printer/fabricator thing. 

We know it has no issues building organic stuff (infested weapons) so why should a body be any different 

5 hours ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

that's my theory anyway.  

If I was going to build a remote controlled robot to use in combat, it would most likely look like a Terminator, human shaped and yet inposing. 

Kinda still waking up, so I might not be fully coherant, sorry.

The point I want to make is, why would the Orokin go so far in terms of making Warframes look human in some respects, and yet avoid doing so on others, such as helmets or other weird sticky out bits. 

If you look at something like the mjonlir armour in Halo, it is pretty much the same across all units, none of it has boobs, or a fire Mohawk.

4 hours ago, SilentMobius said:

Is it so hard to refrain from asserting your hypothesis as objective true while discussing it? what's wrong with "I think that.." or "It seems like..."

Sheesh.

I think that from a story perspective this would be messy. I think that it's much more likely to be a factor of design and "Dream, not of what you are... but of what you want to be" So the first Tenno pilot for the prototypes of each class shaped it's appearance. And I think that if there was any other being present in the Tenno-Warframe relationship it would feature much more heavily.

From a story perspective we don't need to be cast any more in the mengler-moreau-slavemaster mold. It really harms relatability.

So this doesn't seem likely to me

Sorry if you don't like the format, that style just makes it way easier to read and write, as well as pushing points a little harder

Not to fond of scientific style write ups where you go full due diligence, a lot of their impact is lost in online forums. 

And as far as being messy goes, I'd say that being messy is a massive improvement over the tangled heap of 'lore' that we have. 

Pushing unproven points harder is not necessarily a good thing. Staying out of the long grass of Headcanon will help prevent shock and anger in the face of further revelations like the aftermath of Second Dream.

Besides which, SilentMobius' point remains completely unmatched in its clarity and relevance. Due to how the narrative and gameplay intersect, for DE to reveal that Warframes are sapient would instantly cast the players as irredeemable monsters, in a way which would make the post-Second Dream mess look like a pleasant tea party. That would be a profoundly, ridiculously unwise move for the narrative development of the game.

17 hours ago, Sixty5 said:

First up, quck warning, the following topic contains both Second Dream spoilers and lore discussion, if that does not interest you, just click the green arrow and go, save yourself the pain. 

Warframes are people. 

No Sixty, you moron, you played Second dream, you know that Warframes are just Technocyte constructs controlled by the Operator. 

Self arguments aside, I have actually put a lot of thought into this, and it really seems to make sense, so read on, or don't, there will be a Tl;Dr at the bottom regardless. 

So I started thinking the other day about the nature of Warframes, not just what they are, but also about their shape and design. And one thing in particular kept bugging me. 

Why do some frames have boobs? Or to be more specific, why do they have genders or sexual characteristics at all?

Before Second Dream it kinda made sense, I mean I was of the opinion that the frames were suits and that they would fit to their owners, Rhino was a big dude Tenno and Mag was a little, girl Tenno. It all made sense. 

However with the revelations made in the quest, that no longer really makes sense. I mean, building an automaton in the likeness of a person makes sense from a control standpoint, but why make different genders and such?

Rounding back to the actual nature of Warframes, it seems almost certain that they are Technocyte constructs, evidenced in both the Rhino Prime codex entry as well as in flavour text within the game (plus removed stuff from old infested bosses "why do you hurt us, you are our flesh"). And this really makes sense, I mean we can trace back the links to Dark Sector and Hayden Tenno (thematically at least) and we know the infestation started off as a bioweapon, and given that Warframes are living weapons they seem to fit the bill for a bioweapon. 

But why is that important, I mean, you said Warframes were people, not lumps of Technocyte, right?

And there is the kicker, that word "were". 

We know that infestation if left to its own devices grows in all manner of funny ways, but it only really produces humanoid creatures from humans (runners as opposed to maggots). Rhino Prime's codex entry is at odds with this, describing one of the first attempts at a Warframe as a shambling mess (just the image I have in my head, not exact wording). Additionally we know the Tenno were rushed into battle, so either the Orokin got really good at manipulating Technocyte or they got desperate and did something not entirely ethical, which, given the fact that they used kids as weapons, isnt too much of a leap to make. 

They used people. 

That is right, Warframes, or at least the original ones from the Orokin era, are made from people exposed to the Technocyte Virus. 

It may sound far fetched, but hear me out. Warframes being people explains why they would have the bodies that they do, it also provides a reason why the Operator feels the need to talk to their frame every 10 seconds WHILE I AM IN THE MIDDLE OF A MISSION DAMN IT SHUT UP. Sorry.

Another huge piece of evidence there is the tiny degree of sentience they show on their own. During Second Dream we see our inactive frame break War without intervention from our Operator. Additionally look at Valkyr, the frame itself is tortured, and screams. No one was piloting it during that period, but the frame still screams, something inside it felt that pain. 

Finally look at it from an overarching lore sense. Second Dream makes no sense if you have built additional pylons warframes, after all, how would you transfer between frames if you believed what was inside the frame was you (implied during the quest). So we can assume that the cannon timeline goes: Tenno wakes up from cryopod, goes through first encounters, does a few jobs for lotus, second dream happens, Tenno starts building more warframes from blueprints. (as far as the building additional frames goes, think of it a bit like cloning or 3D printing with organic material). The frame you start with, the one you wake up in, was once a human.

It seems to fit everything weknow about the lore, and makes for a pretty nice plot twist.

Tl;Dr the original warframes built from the Orokin were made by exposing people to the Technocyte Virus. Warframes are people with a near total lack of conciousness, or copies of said people. 

So lemne know what you think about all this. Personally I find that it seems to tie up a lots of loose ends pretty neatly as well as bringing some of that dark gritty feel back to the game (inb4 sixty u Edgelord). Plus it creates some really cool avenues for the future, will the frames rise up and take on the Tenno? (actually that is a pretty good explanation for the nature of the stalker) or will we see a more equal relationship with those we are closest too.

Anyways  leave a comment below, I Wanna see what you guys think. 

That is exactly what I always thought after the second dream quest. I just lose my mind when I still see people arguing that warframes are nothing other than puppets. They just don't like the new address of the lore and do not force theirselves to understand what is beyond the simple appeareance.