Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

TennoCon Non-attendee pack?

(PSN)DrTungg

On 5/25/2016 at 2:51 PM, Major_Phantom said:

As much as I'd like one, think about it:

Why would they give you a reward for not paying and attending their convention? Makes no damn sense.

So no.

No one here is talking about not paying for it. What they're saying is they'd pay the price of just the ticket and get the swag without having to go.

8 minutes ago, (XB1)epsilon14254 said:

No one here is talking about not paying for it. What they're saying is they'd pay the price of just the ticket and get the swag without having to go.

That's what I'm saying.

Perfectly alright with a full price ticket, it goes to charity after all, and I would also be fine with a physical swag item being handed out to attendees in addition to digital.  

That would garner more income for DE and make a larger portion of the community happy and included.

I don't think this is necessary. I'd love to be at those cons, to meet the devs, see the community (in all it's weirdness). But I just for the sweg? No. It's a shirt, some plat, and a flashy flowing thingy on my character's back that I probably wouldn't use for more then a few days anyway. 

Give me an affinity weekend and I'll call it more then even! 

It might be nice since they gave all of a 4 month notice(barely) of when and where it would be so it's not like many people could just have money on hand to buy plane tickets, a room and get time off.

That is my problem, my job requires a minimum of 2 months approval for time off, that and I wasn't planning for a con so soon.

On 5/25/2016 at 9:48 AM, (PS4)suicide5225 said:

Who else thinks its a shame there is no non-attendee pack.

I for one cannot travel and would love to be able to get said awesome swag?

if tennocon carries over to 2017 will de be offering a non attendee package?

thoughts opinions?

I'm starting to think that they wouldn't have enough merchandise supply to accommodate for an initial non-attendee pack. That, and/or it would take months for those items to arrive at the customer's doorstep.

Edited by RetiredEdgeLord

9 minutes ago, RetiredEdgeLord said:

I'm starting to think that they wouldn't have enough merchandise supply to accommodate for an initial non-attendee pack. That, and/or it would take months for those items to arrive at the customer's doorstep.

I think op meant digital swag for non attendees only.  People that out in the effort and money would get some physical and con only as a perk for showing up.

3 minutes ago, RetiredEdgeLord said:

... If they're unique sigil and syndana.... 

Exclusive to the con.

What is being brought up here is the possibility of two swag packs. One, being whatever digital content DE provides, is obtainable to anyone with computer access and a minimum of 30 bucks.  The second one being the same digital content as Well as a physical swag item, or items, obtainable to anyone who showed up the con physically.

The benefits I see to this are; more tickets sold, more money donated to charity, more players get to be involved. Next yeqr, more people can plan ahead and save to physically attend.

The downsides; I don't really see any.

Just now, Noamuth said:

Exclusive to the con.

What is being brought up here is the possibility of two swag packs. One, being whatever digital content DE provides, is obtainable to anyone with computer access and a minimum of 30 bucks.  The second one being the same digital content as Well as a physical swag item, or items, obtainable to anyone who showed up the con physically.

The benefits I see to this are; more tickets sold, more money donated to charity, more players get to be involved. Next yeqr, more people can plan ahead and save to physically attend.

The downsides; I don't really see any.

I was pointing out that the physical content would take months to arrive for players due to lack of supply, just like the bandana, and winter t-shirt for founders.

Just now, RetiredEdgeLord said:

I was pointing out that the physical content would take months to arrive for players due to lack of supply, just like the bandana, and winter t-shirt for founders.

Yes, but I missed that. Also, wouldn't it make more sense to have the items ready to go when people show up at the door?

Just now, Noamuth said:

Yes, but I missed that. Also, wouldn't it make more sense to have the items ready to go when people show up at the door?

In theory, the situation of a digital + physical good is similar to that of the founders package. There would be enough physical goods prepared for people who arrive at Tennocon. In theory (taking account other countries) if several dozen thousand players were to pre-order the Tennocon package (digital + physical), there would be a large time delay for people to receive their physical goods.

1 hour ago, RetiredEdgeLord said:

In theory, the situation of a digital + physical good is similar to that of the founders package. There would be enough physical goods prepared for people who arrive at Tennocon. In theory (taking account other countries) if several dozen thousand players were to pre-order the Tennocon package (digital + physical), there would be a large time delay for people to receive their physical goods.

I honestly don't care about the physical stuff, somethings should just be handed out there.

I'll likely attend next year so long as they don't pull another last minute date and place announcement again

Before I toss my 2 cents, I just want to put it out there that I have no personal stake in the matter. I couldn't go anyway due to exams and financial situation, and therefore whether this pack ever becomes a reality or not is moot to me, like all paid content. DE may do what they will.

I examined the posts in the thread with interest, particularly those of Letter13. I took some time to weigh the matter.

One part of the argument states that it would allow players who could not physically make it to have the digital swag, by making the financial contribution and watching the stream. It would allow them to feel like a part of the convention even if they could not attend. I can sympathise, I'd feel that way too. Life takes precedence sometimes.

Another part of the argument states that it would cheapen the value of the swag because then 'everyone and their grandmother' could buy it. Life isn't fair, and sometimes you miss out-you shouldn't be compensated for that. I can see that point, certainly it would make me feel more special if I had something to show that I had been there, done that. I could show it off and people would know that I'd been to Tennocon 2016. Awesome.

I want to the side of the first point, however. And it's mainly because of something Letter said:

'Life isn't fair, and no-one should be compensated for that.' I agree, but it's safe to argue that that isn't the case here, Letter. 

The reason is the unsaid part of your statement '..because it's no-one's fault'.

When I was about 6, there was a riot where I used to live. We left shortly after it ended because of some circumstances, and currently I don't live as comfortably as I should be able to because of the things that happened there. To this day, I struggle to be a functioning part of society, and have demons I wrestle from the moment I wake up in the gray hours of the morning to the minute I fall asleep late at night.

Why did I bring this up? A bit melodramatic, to bring up something so grave for the case of something so trivial. But I did it, because I wanted to show you guys:

There is no-one I can go upto to demand what I lost in that riot, and there is no-one who owes me anything for it because it was no-one's fault. We were simply a pile of hay that had been caught on fire. Where the first spark came from no-one knows, but it did come. And I am a different person because of it.

So I am owed nothing. I agree, but I also wonder: if anyone had had the power to do something, would it have been fair to ask that they use it to change the situation? When there is a storm, when there's a flood, and people lose their homes, it's just life being a *@##$: but if someone had had the power to do something when the flood came, shouldn't they have done it?

This case is similar. No-one is owed anything for the problems int heir lives because no-one is responsible, but there are options to change the situations. You can only say 'tough luck' when there was nothing anyone could have done to change the situation. But DE can make an option here, because those people, are offering to contribute, they're not asking stuff, for free. 

Now you can argue for the sake of being a special snowflake, but I think it's more in the spirit of the community to bring everyone, whether at home, or at the venue together as Tenno who are all part of this game and each other's lives as much as they are of mine. Let them have the swag For are they not, also, if only in spirit, attending the Tennocon?

As for precedent, the Prime accessories did come back. Other, much bigger conventions have these, and they are still flocked to by countless people. 

Tennocon won't be a success because DE offered some exclusive pixels on the screen. It will be a success because there are people who love Warframe and want be a part of this awesome event.

And there you have it.

Disclaimer:

Spoiler

I am currently very, very groggy from my cold and work. So please forgive any errors in spelling and structure or excessive sappiness that may have slipped through.

Thanks in advance, Evan.

PS. If you have something you'd like to take up with me as an issue my inbox is open, so please don't derail the thread. I am always happy to lend you my time.

2 hours ago, TheBrsrkr said:

Why would you get a prize for not coming to an event? That makes no sense. 

i guess i am thinking they live stream it and you pay for access to that and get swag for supporting them that way. not the same swag as if you showed up but atleast its something.

Edited by Lord_Impaler

The special thank you for attending should be reserved for those who went in person.

However, given the location and the myriad of reasons a person could have not to attend, I do think something should be made available for those who couldn't come in person. NOT the attendance specific rewards.

Like a special event on the Earth Node closest to Canada where you have to Rescue the DE Staff from a swarm of players who have them trapped.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 1:25 PM, Letter13 said:

I say no, a non-attendee pack shouldn't be made available. DE hasn't done so with previous events, and the digital swag is a special "thank you" to those who made the effort to come and visit.

The date was also made public well over two months in advance to give people ample time to schedule a trip accordingly.

2 months is not a long time.  Some jobs require you to give more notice than that.  Also some people have limited vacations sick days etc... most Con's give a year notice.   its okay its there event and they can do whatever they want.  its for charity its hard to get upset about that I just hope in the future there is more heads up and not just in forums but Via in-game news.  I do hope they continue TennoCon but with all the backlash I expect they are going to get maybe they won't.

On 5/25/2016 at 0:48 PM, (PS4)suicide5225 said:

thoughts opinions?

This might have been an issue if anything given to TennoCon attendees affected gameplay, like a cool new weapon or mod or something. But as far as I know, the in-game swag attendees are getting consists of some Platinum, and an exclusive Syandana and Sigil. Anyone can get plat, and these purely cosmetic pieces serve no other function than to show off that you made it to the first ever Warframe convention. DE wants to show their appreciation to Tenno who made it all the way over there with something exclusive but not something that gives those players any kind of gameplay advantage over players who can't make it. This is fine.

Don't worry though, I have a hunch that the advent of TennoCon will feature some in-game gifts/events for all Tenno to enjoy. DE digs celebration.

There appear to be a lot of dissenting opinions on what the 'purpose' of the swag is-- some see it as a reward/incentive for coming, others see it as a special bonus or markers of dedication to WF-- or, like I do, as souvenirs/items to remember an occasion by. Depending on how you perceive these items, the justification for them being 'attendee-only' can become a lot weaker.

As someone else said, nobody is going to travel to TennoCon JUST to get these items. But also, nobody is going to NOT travel to TennoCon because other people got these items-- that they've 'lost value' because other people, who didn't make the effort, got them too. That only happens in, like, gay marriage debates or other justifications for excluding people.

I've run conventions, I know the kind of work that goes into the planning, the execution, and the year-long followup. TennoCon is a new, small, baby thing and they will learn so much from this year that they'll change almost everything they do for next year. It's just as likely they -wanted- to do, say, a digital attendee ticket (a la Blizzcon), for access to the panel streaming and some digital swag for the access cost, but even just doing that takes a LOT of planning and work and very likely would get cut from the plans in order to focus on making things work in person (nothing against DE, but their A/V webcasting skill is not at a level that they could, I think, pull off a successful digital access event, nor could I see them wanting to put the money into hiring a company to handle it for them, when those funds could go into other parts of the convention for the attendees)

So for this year, I think it's sad that non-attendees have no way to support the con, even from afar-- I'm personally really disappointed by this, even though I understand. At the same time, I think it's absolutely fair, warranted, and deserved that people discuss what they'd like to see, what they would prefer, and suggestions on how it might work, for consideration in the future. It's something that is doable, that has TONS of precedent, and would, let's face it, be a great RoI from a marketing perspective.

But the people who are saying 'TOO BAD SO SAD LIFE'S NOT FAIR' are unhelpful and pretty pointlessly invalidating of the varied perspectives people have been giving in this thread. Everybody fcking KNOWS that life isn't fair, does that mean they're not allowed to complain about it and give suggestions as to how that could be addressed? And the idea that non-attending people getting swag somehow 'cheapens' the swag attendees get is dumb. Only you can assign value to it-- you will absolutely see some of those digital code cards up on eBay because some attendees don't assign those things the same value that you do. And then, guess what? Non-attendees will get access to the swag, AND none of the money from the non-attendee will go to DE/TennoCon. 

Go to the con. Enjoy the con, and the experience. Enjoy your souvenirs and be happy that you were able to afford/were physically able enough to attend the convention, and be encouraging of attempts or suggestions for those who are unable to attend to find some lesser, but meaningful way to participate. If the idea of people who didn't attend getting SOME meager reward for the 'next best thing' offends you, take a step back and re-evaluate your life, because wow.

Ok. I have to admit that I kind of missed the point that OP was making. 

Basically what he/she is on about is the ability to "buy into" the swag that's given in the Con. And I can actually get behind that! Having three separate types of tickets that you can buy is a solid idea.

Ticket type 1: The ticket you get to actually go there and meet the devs, swag is a bonus. Type  2: Cheapest, you just buy for the digital swag (sigil, syandana and the plat) but not for actually showing up. Type 3: You buy all the swag. You still can't go there, but DE will ship you the shirt at some later date and you get the digital stuff just as everyone else does.

Whatever you reason for paying: just for charity, just for the swag, or both. It's a solid system. I mean with non-attendance "tickets" all there is to them is having enough claim codes. Not so much with the shirt shipping. Logistics is a nightmare, no mater what you do. 

DE would really only benefit from this to be honest.

i think  that making an effort to get there really isnt the problem here for most people either,

bet most of us wouldnt mind taking a few days off work or travel some hours to get there...

The problem is that the cost is simply to high.

it will cost me 1157 for a plane ticket

i will have to spend 4 nights there, 375

i have to eat , 150

thats 1682...im really not going to spend that kind of money just to be at a convention..

Edited by -Neffy-

7 hours ago, TheBrsrkr said:

Why would you get a prize for not coming to an event? That makes no sense. 

Swag isn't really a prize though, its a perk.

And for a local con, like say that anyone one in Portland OR, totally reasonable to Not give swag to people not attending - it's a local con, it doesn't have an international following.  90% of attendees are going to be from Portland and surrounding areas.

But for TennoCon, we have people from all over the globe who simply cannot attend for a variety of reasons.  DE is in a position to create a digital version and include thousands more people.