Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

TennoCon Non-attendee pack?

(PSN)DrTungg

9 minutes ago, Phatose said:

People buying tickets and not showing up don't make for successful conventions.  People actually attending do that.

Apparently when it comes to other conventions this isn't true, at all.

If people can attend, they will.

As long as mastery isn't involved I don't see any problem with how it is.

Though I am going to say one thing, Blizzard managed to fix this really well, just look it up.

1 minute ago, -Amaterasu- said:

Is this a joke?

+1

I was considering flying to avoid all the construction going on in the highway leading to London, Ontario from Chicago, IL; but didn't have the funds to book a flight/hotel at the time. I've since taken the time to put in more hours in my part time job to afford the 14 hour drive and the wait time to update my passport. I've taken the steps to assure I make this one given that I couldn't make the one that was held in Europe, a few years ago, and the one in NYC, due to a family emergency.

Can't wait to meet those who attend. :)

Its just sad.Some people live 1 hour away and have to pay with the ticket 50 euros overall for the stuff.

Some people like me who live on the other side of the planet would have to pay 2000 euros or more + loads of time to travel there,finding a hotel and so on.

Awesome..... NOT

1 hour ago, Naith said:

It's also a bit of a 'tough crap' for those would be wiling to attend and pay for a ticket, but cannot justify spending XYZ just to come to Canada from wherever they are.

Yeah, I disagree with your reasoning here.

The swag from Gamescom was "tough crap". The swag from PAX East was "tough crap". People couldn't justify spending "XYZ" just to go to those events.

While I can completely sympathize with those who cannot make it for any reason (distance, money, work obligations, health, etc), I do not feel as though they're owed the swag that people receive for making the effort to attend. The swag is an exclusive gift--a "thank you" from the developers to those who manage to make it to the convention. Making it available for everyone and their grandmother to purchase devalues said gift; it's no longer special and loses the charm of being a "thank you" gift.

Life isn't "fair", it's unfortunate, and drawing the short stick doesn't mean you're entitled to compensation. 

19 minutes ago, Letter13 said:

Life isn't "fair", it's unfortunate, and drawing the short stick doesn't mean you're entitled to compensation. 

Mate, I've learned to expect a little more level headed and professional response from you. I feel like you're just trolling at this point.

It's certainly not unrealistic to expect a video game (that people have put a lot of money into) to be conducted in a more professional and equal manner than real life. That'd be like saying it's okay to have blatant racism/sexism in Warframe because those things exist in real life.

'Life's not fair' is a shield you can use to mindlessly block any and all criticism. Why not endorse a fully pay2win model? Sure, rich players will have a huge advantage, but that's just the life some privileged people are dealt. Life's not fair. Ugh.

It would be nice to be able to purchase something to support the event, even if it is unfeasable to go. 

Plane tickets, hotel costs, transport costs and time off work are unfortunately all things that exist. 

Sure, I'd pay the ticket price to go, but TennoCon isn't worth the ~$2000 it would cost me to get there. 

But while I would like to see a digital pack, I don't think it will happen. The swag is for the people that go, and exists to make them feel speshl. 

1 hour ago, AM-Bunny said:

That'd be like saying it's okay to have blatant racism/sexism in Warframe because those things exist in real life.

No, it wouldn't, because there's no relevance whatsoever between not releasing an exclusive "thank you" cosmetic gift to players who attend Tennocon and "it's okay to have blatant racism/sexism in warframe". What you just proposed is a strawman argument for why the cosmetic item gift to Tennocon attendees should be released for everyone.

If everything were "fair and equal", DE would re-release all of the founders gear, event exclusive gear, sigils, cosmetics and no longer available items for anyone to buy at any time. But that isn't happening (ergo, life isn't "fair").

It's a lot like timed exclusives. Or missing an in-game event. It's literally a case of "Tough luck, but if you missed it, you missed it." Pandering to everyone and compensating anyone who missed something sets a bad precedent; it creates the mindset of "Oh I don't actually need to do X, but I'll still get Y anyway." By keeping timed or event exclusives actually exclusive encourages participation both in the present and in the future. The mindset of "I need to do X, or else I won't get Y" is reinforced.

Aside from the concept of "you didn't do anything to earn it" why would a digital ticket with comparable swag be a bad idea?

Personally, I don't see the issue.  It brings in more revenue for he con, more money is donated to the charity and more people get to enjoy the hard work of DE.

20 minutes ago, Noamuth said:

Aside from the concept of "you didn't do anything to earn it" why would a digital ticket with comparable swag be a bad idea?

Personally, I don't see the issue.  It brings in more revenue for he con, more money is donated to the charity and more people get to enjoy the hard work of DE.

The problem is that the swag no longer serves as an incentive to actually show up.  Tennocon is not an established convention, and if people don't actually show up for it, there won't be another Tennocon. 

16 minutes ago, Phatose said:

The problem is that the swag no longer serves as an incentive to actually show up.  Tennocon is not an established convention, and if people don't actually show up for it, there won't be another Tennocon. 

I'm sorry, but with every convention I've paid to get into or volunteered for, I have NEVER heard someone exclaim "omg this swag is the only reason I drive over 100 miles, paid hundreds of dollars in travel costs and spent dozens of hours sewing this cosplay!"

Come on, swag is the cherry on the cake.  Not the icing and not the cake itself, it's an accent flavor,to the main thing.

I agree that there should be a non-attendee pack.
By many reasons that were stated already above.
About the ''thank you'' argument, those items should be physical..because its a gift for being present, not digital and in game..
There is diverse warframe merchandise and perhaps they could have created some specifically, and unique for the ocasion.That would be more apropriate in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Noamuth said:

I'm sorry, but with every convention I've paid to get into or volunteered for, I have NEVER heard someone exclaim "omg this swag is the only reason I drive over 100 miles, paid hundreds of dollars in travel costs and spent dozens of hours sewing this cosplay!"

Come on, swag is the cherry on the cake.  Not the icing and not the cake itself, it's an accent flavor,to the main thing.

It doesn't need to be the only reason, just a reason.

Are you certain no one has ever had their decision to go or not to go to a convention swayed in favor by the swag?  Given the rather obvious importance players here place on the swag, I wouldn't even bet that for this only convention, let alone conventions in general.

26 minutes ago, Phatose said:

It doesn't need to be the only reason, just a reason.

Are you certain no one has ever had their decision to go or not to go to a convention swayed in favor by the swag?  Given the rather obvious importance players here place on the swag, I wouldn't even bet that for this only convention, let alone conventions in general.

There is no possible way I can five a yes or no to whether or not someone has been swayed by swag.  I'm only speaking to personal experience, and I have NEVER seen someone attends a con purely based on the swag, like you suggested originally.

Yes, I agree an said as much that it is a reason, albeit rather small, most swag bags are glorified coupons and adverts, but not THE reason to attend.

Honestly, I wouldnt bother attending the con if I got digital swag, even if I lived in the same town.  I want something physical.

Do you know anyone that has canceled or confirmed a con trip because of the swag?

Edited by Noamuth