Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Rework Feedback [Post Update 18.13]

Satinpuppies

1 minute ago, RealPandemonium said:

What do those have to do with being able to carry riot shields?

Riot shied would make those abilities OP. More damage and no damage falloff on EB. If it is implemented, I don't DE to nerf Volt to all hell because of Excal or Mesa.

11 hours ago, Brasten said:

It also sadly nothing we do to individual powers will address that minority that are for some reason super angry at having their ground speed boosted. We still need a universal method for accepting or declining team buffs.

Its really difficult for me to grasp the idea that there are a lot of people that HATED the volt speed buff to the point that it had to become a pickup. 

it was so useful to me, from speed running to extraction at the end of a mission to boosting the whole team to help revive a teammate. oh well, whats done is done

I really do like that slipstream idea. it could work, but might be tricky to implement. 

42 minutes ago, ElectronX_Core said:

Riot shied would make those abilities OP. More damage and no damage falloff on EB. If it is implemented, I don't DE to nerf Volt to all hell because of Excal or Mesa.

Those frames can already sit behind placed shields and gain that bonus, and many guns also become ridiculous with the shield bonuses anyway.  

9 minutes ago, ElectronX_Core said:

Someone said it earlier. Just recycle the code from Nezha's Firewalker. Instead of removing status, make it boost movement speed.

Yep, which is why I pointed it out. Setting up the trailing area of effect(s) the first time would have been the rough part. But that's been done. Not only does it detect "enemies" to hurt them, but also detects allies.

If you he didn't have the big chakram on his back, this could easily be Volt without his arm coils. Just change up the trail FX to more electrical.

Spoiler

JBE8Gko.png

18 hours ago, Chicadino said:

I'm still salty about that Speed change. I just wanna help my team along with a little butt pat so they go faster! Having your friends group up and pick up the coil really breaks the pace of Speed as a team buff ability. If we're not going to bring back the old speed mechanics, I had a little alternative idea yesterday, tell me what you think!

c63c36f9ed7609c3d8c8c20e40aa6e76.png

space mom, do this asap or we will storm London, Ontario,  Canada right now!

6 hours ago, Hypernaut1 said:

Its really difficult for me to grasp the idea that there are a lot of people that HATED the volt speed buff to the point that it had to become a pickup. 

it was so useful to me, from speed running to extraction at the end of a mission to boosting the whole team to help revive a teammate. oh well, whats done is done

I really do like that slipstream idea. it could work, but might be tricky to implement. 

17 hours ago, Brasten said:

This is actually a very interesting idea. I do genuinely like it in concept. Although from a programming stand it's a bit more complex to do. Fortunately DE already has Code for this in Nezha's Fire Walker #1 power. Making the zone a bit wider, changing the FX it uses, and working on how it builds up and spreads would be the work DE would need to put in.

It also sadly nothing we do to individual powers will address that minority that are for some reason super angry at having their ground speed boosted. We still need a universal method for accepting or declining team buffs.

Hey guys, this is what I scraped from partial community discussions:

Slipstream concept seems nice, but it feels really limited as you would have to keep in it to avoid losing the buff, which only works well when moving to extraction. Any other moment when paths diverge will not really have much meaning except to keep the team in a line. I mean, like in Sabotage 2.0 with each person going toward a different goal, it wouldn't really work there.

I still feel reverting is the best option, but as has already been suggested, the opt-out mechanic has all the advantages without any of the disadvantages. Instead of binding it to an in-game action, just input it with a hotkey, i.e. Tab. Quick to press, no secondary function, it can work as an on-off switch specifically for that ability. Or if its already bound to something, players can select a custom key. I just don't see why DE may think it is OP, since it doesn't help kill faster (unless EB or Hysteria - which has already been nerfed) and is simply a specialized support ability for the team to run through content faster.

7 minutes ago, -CM-Emptiness said:

Hey guys, this is what I scraped from partial community discussions:

Slipstream concept seems nice, but it feels really limited as you would have to keep in it to avoid losing the buff, which only works well when moving to extraction. Any other moment when paths diverge will not really have much meaning except to keep the team in a line. I mean, like in Sabotage 2.0 with each person going toward a different goal, it wouldn't really work there.

I still feel reverting is the best option, but as has already been suggested, the opt-out mechanic has all the advantages without any of the disadvantages. Instead of binding it to an in-game action, just input it with a hotkey, i.e. Tab. Quick to press, no secondary function, it can work as an on-off switch specifically for that ability. Or if its already bound to something, players can select a custom key. I just don't see why DE may think it is OP, since it doesn't help kill faster (unless EB or Hysteria - which has already been nerfed) and is simply a specialized support ability for the team to run through content faster.

that can be fixed if you just went in the slipstream once and got the speed buff.

On 6/6/2016 at 8:37 AM, Chicadino said:

I'm still salty about that Speed change. I just wanna help my team along with a little butt pat so they go faster! Having your friends group up and pick up the coil really breaks the pace of Speed as a team buff ability. If we're not going to bring back the old speed mechanics, I had a little alternative idea yesterday, tell me what you think!

im sorry but this is just bad. it makes the melee bonus useless and it's just not practical. it's probably even worse than the pick-up idea. They should just bring back the old speed and an opt out roll or something.

Did i mention the pick-up idea is BAD? I've been playng for god knows how long and i've NEVER seen anyone asking me not to use speed, even when used to change the FoV (by the way add an option to bring it back). They messed up the signature ability of a frame that no one used anyway (and no one will) except for this very ability because an even tinier minority of people couldn't use some lame melee combo (which would probably do less damage than mashing E under volt' buff anyway) or because some people were sick of the FoV (which is the only valid complaint, but they fixed it already?)

Edited by [DE]Taylor
removed profanity.

48 minutes ago, Aquasurge said:

that can be fixed if you just went in the slipstream once and got the speed buff.

That was what I had in mind while thinking this out. Allies gain Volt's Speed buff by coming into contact with the slipstream, but Volt's allies don't have to STAY in the trail to keep the buff. This also allows people who don't like getting sped up to avoid getting that speed by steering clear of volt's trail.

1 hour ago, Aquasurge said:

Yet, that feels like a band-aid fix to the main problem with the drop coil. So if you were Volt behind the team and going to extraction, it would work quite nicely, albeit slower than the original. But if you were splitting objectives in the aforementioned Sabo 2.0 or even Spy, there's a similar issue of going backward to reach the slipstream to get the boost, since the individual objectives aren't aligned. Hope I made myself clear.

58 minutes ago, Chicadino said:

That was what I had in mind while thinking this out. Allies gain Volt's Speed buff by coming into contact with the slipstream, but Volt's allies don't have to STAY in the trail to keep the buff. This also allows people who don't like getting sped up to avoid getting that speed by steering clear of volt's trail.

well that sounds better, but not much different from the aoe buff, which kind of makes the change pointless, but cool

On 06.06.2016 at 3:37 PM, Chicadino said:

That might be fun. And so TRON. 

I only fear that trail will be extremely annoying for people... Coz if they dont want speed, they will have to dodge all that Neonlight.   And it also will block vision...Especially with bright energy colors... And dark ones will be barely noticeable and will still annoy people with sudden speed buff.

I still like that idea though.

2 hours ago, Kainosh said:

I only fear that trail will be extremely annoying for people... Coz if they dont want speed, they will have to dodge all that Neonlight.

Which brings us back around to needing a universal solution for opting in/out of party buffs. It's almost insanity to cater to a very vocal minority by damaging core functionality of Warframe powers instead of just making a "advanced" options setting.

It's almost like MOBAs putting in the option to toggle Quick Casting on abilities. But instead of making it a option players can set themselves, some skill are enforced to be Quick Casting. Or not going the extra step that Blizzard recently did with Heroes of the Storm and made Quick Cast settings a hero by hero, power by power setup.

We will never truly find an in-game modification of Party Buff powers that will satisfy people who want to wide distribution AND people who don't to be included in those buffs. It is a very advanced and meta game-play request, and needs a meta-level solution.

As I've put forward else where, this should be done from the Options Menu, the Game/Squad Menu, and have an in-game hotkey to override the "default" settings a user has chosen.

• In the Options Menu: Add a toggle for "Automatically Accept Allied Powers". This toggle on is the current default state of the game, where allied powers just get applied to you when they are cast or you come in contact with them.
  • In the Game/Squad Menu (normally ESC, controller Menu button): Under each Squad Member quick profile add option to selectively reverses the "Automatically Accept Allied Powers" state. Much like the MUTE PLAYER button that is already there.
  • Assign a double use to the Gear Menu button (Q): Quick tap of Q now declines/accepts (depending on the Options Menu toggle) the most recent party buff cast on you. Working backwards from most recent to last.

Done. We can put the "I don't want this party buff applied to me" issue to bed from here on out. Regardless of whatever Warframe comes along, people who don't want the buff or don't want buffs from select players have a universal opt out method that is adjustable at several levels.

Edited by Brasten

Ok, I'm done with speed opt-in.  No consensus can be reached so here is the simplest solution.

Make it a yes/no toggle for "Volt Speed" under the options/player preferences menu.

Set the pre-existing condition just like "Invert Y axis" or any other UI preference and be done by confirming it.

Now back to how we can turn Overload + Discharge into Overcharge.

Simple solution: Power scales the damage aspect, while duration scales the CC aspect; make it have a considerable punch initially and then have it lock them into a dance.

Done.  

And please, for the love of common sense, remove the "more enemies grouped equals less effective cc" aspect.

It's like you took Saryn's spore and went dilution/opposite with it.  Huh?

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73

So the speed trail idea... is basically a longer moving pickup. One that is considerably easier to accidentally stumble on in the middle of doorways and requires others to be even closer to Volt to gain the bonuses (the worst of both worlds). If he speed buff is then "contageous" between players than it becomes even easier to be forced into the buff. This leads us back to the original problem, we would still need an opt-out, but this would just leave us in a much worse position for those who want the buff.

The more I think about it, the more I agree that a universal opt-out is really what is needed. I like the "Roll" option, since it is already used elsewhere, but a specific key would be helpful for those who like to roll but don't want to loose their other buffs (perhaps to get out of debuffs or to gain the DR in tough situation). Currently there are only 2 buffs that people might want to opt out of, Volt's Speed and Limbo's Rift Plane, but standardizing this would leave a lot of room open for other warframe abilities. Perhaps there will be a Warframe who's gimic is anti-gravity (or just gravity) who can make other warframes fly, or a Warframe focused on teleportation who gives mele attacks range by making them jump to the enemy; Those type of mechanics WILL need an opt-out, and it is better to deal with that problem now than to put it off.

On another note, the Riot Shield was what we got because so many people kept complaining about how squishy volt is, not because that one suggestion was so loudly demanded that there was no other choice. Besides his shock, all of his other active abilities put him in danger to use effectively (both old volt and new). Speed is only truly most effective in increasing DPS in mele, the deployable shield requires you to be right next to where you need the bullets stopped, and his #4 is character centered. The issue with Volt's squishyness was a BIG deal. Other ideas included an increase in stats (mainly armor), a defensive buff to speed, a ranged version of his #4, the riot shield addition, and others. What we got was a borderline unusable riot shield, especially unusable for new players with non-prime volt.

There are three things that really make me really sad about this update (besides the fact that Speed doesn't affect Rocket Jumps anymore). First, the balancing seems designed around high level equipment either without concern or without acknowledgement of other levels of play. Second, playing with new Volt makes me feel like I have to be selfish or I'll be punished for it. And third, the update showed SO much potential that was simply wasted because of bad implementation.

Let me explain the first issue about high level equipment being assumed. I've heard a number of people say that his Riot Shield carry cost isn't too bad because, with maxed efficency and duration and Zenrik passive on a Prime Volt, the cost is ok. Or others talk about how great the damage is on his #4 when you max power strength and ramp up range and efficency and just recast it repeatedly (usually using Large Team Energy Restores to power it). The assumption of that number of high level elements would be a problematic assumption for any warframe's balance, but this is especially true for a starter. Do an experiment just to see what the rest of us have to deal with. Pick up a LV30 Volt or Volt Prime with only the mod for energy capacity and no others, create a shield and then pick it up and bullet jump/air slide/move with it as fast as you can for only 10 seconds. The cost will be just under 200, despite basic Volt only having 150 energy at LV30. That IS a problem.

The second issue that really gets to me is how selfish I feel I have to be with updated volt. I used to be able to hit a button to give my allies a nice speed buff and throw down 6 or 8 shields to protect myself, my friends, the objective, and to help revive allies. Now passing off my speed buff requires derailing either my actions, my allies planed actions, or more often both; or I can just forget my allies and keep my speed to myself. Now I don't have enough shields to donate to others, but I can still protect myself. Besides, if I do die than the shields will just disappear, so my teammates should have known better than to depend on me in the first place; it is almost better to be selfish from the beginning than to give people the wrong idea. If I try to revive a teammate or hack a console with a shield to protect me, I may suddenly pick up the shield and end up dying in the process; better there to be one corpse than to potentially add myself to the pile. I don't want to feel like I would be better off looking out for #1 rather than helping my teammates, but with these changes I really do.

Finally I can see so much potential in what could have been with better implementation. His passive could have encouraged a high-mobility game play where now it just encourages you to ignore the fact that he has a passive. His #1's synergy with his Shield along with his Shield changes in shape and blocking effectiveness could have turned him into a passable replacement for Frost on defensive missions, not quite as good but still capable of doing the job into high levels; but this has been ruined by the lack of an electric proc on his charged Shield, the inability to use enough shields to make up for the superior protection of 1 Snow Globe, and the inherent undependability of any defense that disappears if the user dies.  His Speed could have had the two difficult aspects delt with, the sometimes unwanted nature of both the buff itself and the PoV that went with it, therefore leaving us with an already liked skill that was even better. But the implementation left us with no option on the PoV and a buff that is impossible to reliably give to those who want it and impossible to get rid of if you don't. His Riot Shield had the potential to provide a way that a squishy warframe could survive without increasing his base defenses simply through one new tool along with strategy and careful positioning. What we got was a tool so full of restrictions and so expensive to use that it is basically inaccessible to new players and annoying to even the older players. The percentage HP scailing on Volt's #4 would have allowed him to be built as a true DPS caster frame into the late game, given meaning to the "extra burst of damage" caused by Volt's #1 synergy, but still allowed for other build paths that didn't focus on that aspect. What we got was a flat HP damage, that has a cap, with that cap ruining even the CC aspect of the ultimate; making the ability unreliable and often not worth the danger involved in using it over Volt's other options (#1 is faster and more reliable CC, while his Shocking Speed augment hits more for less cost while letting him get out easier and allowing for weapon use).

I want to be happy with this update, I really do, but I just can't.

7 minutes ago, EnderDDT said:

I want to be happy with this update, I really do, but I just can't.

As do I. For the most part, we have all experienced the many flaws in the rework that complicates things to a certain extent. You did a darn good job at pinning down the fatal flaws and giving them lots of visibility 

2 minutes ago, Wolfnrun said:

As do I. For the most part, we have all experienced the many flaws in the rework that complicates things to a certain extent. You did a darn good job at pinning down the fatal flaws and giving them lots of visibility 

Lets just hope the visibility gets to those who can actually change things and that they are willing to admit that their were screwups in the first place. I, for one, don't expect the DE developers or designers to be perfect and to not make mistakes. I also am pretty sure that most of the rest of the community is also willing to be gracious if those in charge are willing to admit their mistakes and work to fix them. What won't be taken well is if they try to hide their mistakes or brush them off as though they are nothing or insult those of us who are honest and open enough to point out those mistakes. If DE wants to insult their community by trying to hold themselves up as the standard of perfection regardless of community response, than it is kinda hard to be surprised if the community takes notice and is offended at that insult.

I have seen where those types of companies end up and how they end up treating their community. I may play those games from time to time, but I know better than to truly invest myself in those games or their growth or their well being. I have high hopes for DE considering their employee retention and some of the ways I have herd that they have interacted with their community, but I'm not above being proven wrong.

1 hour ago, EnderDDT said:

Currently there are only 2 buffs that people might want to opt out of, Volt's Speed and Limbo's Rift Plane, but standardizing this would leave a lot of room open for other warframe abilities.

Rhino's Roar and Equinox Day's Provoke both increase Power Strength, which hurts Speed Nova Builds (with as low power strength as possible). You can find other odd edge cases where people would not want the "buff" of a certain power or augmentation. And we'll just get more of them as time goes along. This issue actually goes all the way back to Troll Lokis with Switch Teleport, and then compounded by his Augment Safeguard Switch, which just encouraged Loki players to swap with everyone on their team all the time.

Roll is not the button that should be the double bind to Accept/Decline. It really needs to be on a Gear Menu Button tap. It's one of the few Actions that isn't currently doing double duty and is the least likely to interfere with actual play. Adjusting the Gear Menu so that it only opens on a 0.25+ second hold, and a tap (press under 0.25 seconds) does the Accepts/Declines. You could consider Action/Activate, but that button is already doing so much work from pickups, to ziplines, buttons, Volt Riot Shield... 

4 minutes ago, Brasten said:

Roll is not the button that should be the double bind to Accept/Decline. It really needs to be on a Gear Menu Button tap. It's one of the few Actions that isn't currently doing double duty and is the least likely to interfere with actual play. Adjusting the Gear Menu so that it only opens on a 0.25+ second hold, and a tap (press under 0.25 seconds) does the Accepts/Declines.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. An easy fix to potentially intrusive buffs, letting the tenno that want them, have it and the people who don't, opt out.

Foreword:  There is no TL;DR.  It's a Great Wall of Text again, I'm sorry.  Bear with it

I think this bout of massive reworking is showing us the fracture planes in Warframe's design, but it's also reminded me of another point:  burnout.

Those of us who've played for years know the dangers of grinding our souls to dust against RNG day-in and day-out, but think of it from the other angle.  The Devs have to be getting close to significant breakdown mentally.  I've off-and-on suggested DE implement some serious vacation time, but now I'm really serious.  The Devs NEED a break.  This rework fiasco is proving this all too clearly.

So many concepts that could've proven absolutely amazing are falling flat for Volt, and just look at poor Mag!  Add in the timing of a batch of nerfs against a seemingly random selection of 'Frames and you have a recipie for serious player discontent...

---------------------------------------------

Okay, new thought: DIRECTION.

Where do we want Volt to go from here (alright, not too new, but we're the ones that are really invested in the question)?

I want to see a potent, tactical alternative to gunplay on Volt.  Did I just splice old and new thoughts together there?  Of course I did!  Why the hell not, right?

How to go about this...  Okay, lets just work down the list of Stats, the passive, and then abilities.  Those are the only factors seperating 'Frames that matter, so here goes:

Stats:

Any "tactical" 'Frame needs several physical stats.  First, they need mobility.

-For Volt, the issue is that he's forced to use Speed and power strength AND energy to obtain this.  I'd suggest a bump up in his mobility.  Moving his base speed stat to 1.10 or 1.20 would cover this, simultaneously reducing the need for such high Strength builds and actually offering a slight penalty there, due to control issues.  This could reward great movement skill too, so I consider this a self-balancing buff that could seriously correct build myopia.

Secondly, a "tactical" 'Frame should have sufficient juice to use thier skillset.  They need Energy.

-Non-Primed Volt is the issue here.  Just bump his max energy to something near 225 and move on.  Primed Volt is totally fine.  I only have issues if I'm casting incautiously or wastefully, but that's as it should be IMO.

About Health, Shields, and Armor on a "tactical" 'Frame:  Totally flexible here, IF THE SKILLSET COVERS THE DEFICIENCIES!  Volt will be fine once Riot Shield is made available to Volt.

That Passive... thing...

This passive is troubling.  I love the concept, but it's not friendly with Parkour 2.0, it's not a useful thing to think about, and it can't even be saved up for tactical use.

-This can be salvaged.  Let's think about how to make it usable ONLY WHEN NEEDED.  I'd like to preserve this if possible.  There was an earlier version that talked about Power Strength, and this version has some Proc chance.  If this passive was affected by weapon proc chance I'd be all about it, damage or not.  I've heard mention of going for Efficiency or energy regen buffs too, so there are plenty of good choices.  Hell, straight damage would be fine if properly implemented and proc-ing regularly enough.

Abilities:

1. Shock:  This is something I've been over before (woah, deja vu...  one of the first posts I ever started was on Shock).  Shock is good now, but we see room for improvement in it's interactions.  I'm not saying much about damage or the proc because there is Damage 3.0 to consider, and that may skew such points as is.  Looking just at those interactions there are some definite points to improve on.

-First and shortest, a Shock charge on Electric Shield (AND Riot Shield) needs a shock proc.  This isn't for damage or chaining, it's for pure CC utility.

-Second, the interaction with Discharge is embarrassing.  It's not something I tend to test because I find I've usually got FAR more pressing matters than trying to whittle a sliver of health off ONE target.  Shock can and (in my builds, anyway) does reach further than just one target, but I rarely hit more than 2 or 3, and that's at 145% Range.  Much of the issue here is with the Discharge mechanics as they are now and they way that the skill burns through both targets and it's own duration.  Unfortunately there seems to be no real return from Shocking something affected by Discharge.  It actually almost feels like I'm getting less damage than I would if the target were free from Discharge.

How about this:  when you Shock something that's been affected by Discharge it creates a pulse that spreads the CC and remaining duration to nearby targets?  I don't know or care about the damage at the moment, but this seems like it could have potential.

-Third, I'd love to take a page out of the new ES design:  bimodal skill capability.  I'd like to see a charge-up (hold 1) cast of Shock that functions as a more aggressive and more expensive version of the base skill.  Knockdown and finsihers are what I would want here.  Also, this would be an interesting place to add a bimodal buff for Electric Shield and Discharge, wouldn't it?  Kit expansion and harder CCs are the aim here.  Well, that and I've wanted Ball Lightning in Volt's kit for years, just saying.

2. Speed:  Parkour 2.0 and bullet jumping are some of the best design that's gone into Warframe in the last year.  Let's think about NOT focusing away from this with Speed, and in general not continue this "must be grounded" theory that is creeping in.

Please read the (at least) ~40% of this thread that's about the opt-in being bad.  Opt-out seems to be the people's choice, and that "Tap Q" idea I read earlier didn't seem bad.

3. Electric Shield/Riot Shield:  Electric Shield blocks rocket blasts.  <--THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS. Now lets think about the limit of 4 E. Shields and what this brings to the game and Volt.  There is a strong undercurrent of opinion that 4 isn't enough and I'm gonna agree.  I don't see this adding anything to Volt.  It dillutes his kit, and it's dilluting the ONLY non-damage move to boot.  I don't even see the purpose to Shock damage added to either flavor of Electric Shield.  I think the proc would cover it well enough, just so long as that proc still kills Latchers.

-Riot Shield has more costs than it has use, and it REQUIRES a build not really compatable with Speed.  Rather than encourage players to consider other options it reinforces the notion that Speed is the ONLY right choice.  Kill the mitigations and let's see Riot Shield DO something.  Keep that smaller size so that we can get shot from the side arcs and rear, ditch the speed restriction and silly weapon restriction (I can use a Galatine but not a Grakata?) and BURY the notion of a cost-per-meter.  If it's gonna eat energy per second, stop the duration count down.  I think that about covers it...  Oh, wait:  DON'T INVENT NEW RESTRICTIONS ON THIS TO MAKE UP FOR REMOVED RESTRICTIONS!!!  This is CRUCIAL!  I can't use the move now, so what'll make it any better if I can't use it in a new and exciting way tomorrow, right?

4. Discharge:  Finally at the home stretch we hit this Speed-bump.  Discharge seems to require more polish and a bit of that whole percentile health damage thing.  Not much else to say here, other than than that both feel needed.  As a CC it's painfully lacking in higher-level crouds, and as a damage it's capped at set numbers (i.e., worthless).  <--That's a bit harsh sounding, but after 4 years of play I'd have to call it a fair assessment anyway.  Also, the "cannot cast in air" is just a waste of time, coding, and generally isn't friendly to anyone.  THIS DIES.

I like this move (not really feeling the name change), but the spread mechanics are wonkey.  I've seen it bypass enemies a few times, but I'm not yet sure what's causing this and it's not predictable.  That's NOT a good thing to say about a tactical CC.  Polish, and maybe a bit of base range buff'll fix that

Yeah, that's it.  You've read (or skipped) to the end.  Take a break already!

TL;DR:  there is no TL;DR.  I meant it.  Just read the foreword if you like.