The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Rework Feedback [Post Update 18.13]

Satinpuppies

15 hours ago, zaxiade said:

His speed, I needed to balance strength and duration. If I don't build for this exactly, he almost runs at no difference in running speed. At least for me. Maybe it's just me that feels like I'm somehow going slower than his old self did. - I also try to incorporate speed type mods to specifically make this a speedster set up.

His Shield + Discharge; I wanted to focus on duration, range, and efficiency. But no strength, which makes his first ability weaker but at least enemies are stunned for longer, and his ult has a damage cap anyway now. Plus his Riot shield actually doesn't run out fast at all when I pick it up. Or else if it isn't built for this it drains in seconds. - The good side with added range is that his Ult reaches pretty far.

And his first ability with shock augment helps with more strength and efficiency, allowing allies to deal more damage. Strength would also work on speed but with normal duration this is more of a ''fight not flight'' build. 

Always run max efficiency or close to it.  It offers too many advantages to pass up.  Low efficiency builds only work in very niche circumstances or when bandaids like EV and padspam are present.

Speed has not change mechanically except for the addition of reload speed, which does not affect modding.

Discharge's damage cap increases/decreases proportionally with power strength, so power strength will not affect its CC duration; only the enemies' resistance to Electric damage affects that.  

About the Speed Dispel backflip.

• Allies can now backflip(aim + directional roll backwards)  to remove Volt’s Speed if they wish to opt-out. 

About Volt Speed dispel mechanic.

Backflip is a viable bandaid.

It's a mechanic slapped onto another mechanic neither made for neither fitting that role.
It can stop the flow of the game and however won't save you if you're going to try dodging a lethal attack.

Other possible solutions are:

► Keep the first dodgeroll to dispel speed; give it a window of opportunity, like the first 2 seconds; during these 2 seconds you are allowed to dispel Speed by dodgerolling, after that lapse and subsequent dodgerolls won't dispel speed, so you can still get advantage from both Speed Boost and Dodgeroll later.

In tiny situations it may however clash with Low Duration Speed. So the window of opportuinty needs a reasonable tweak.
However short Speed aren't made to last, so it wouldn't really be a problem.

Make Speed effects on teammates active only while Sprinting at will. Similar to how it works on Archwing Sprint (what actually is produced by holding sprint + jump). This way people who want to take advantage of it would have free will about it.

It can eventually clash with the Melee buff, but whatever teammates would often use speed for the movement benefit, not for the melee benefit, since many wouldn't even be focusing on a melee build.

To fix this then, make the Melee Benefit always active and the Sprint benefit on teammates only active when Sprinting.
The Volt would still retain the traditional Movement Benefit as it always worked.

PS: Don't forget Discharge damage cap, Shock interaction doing no damage and Electric Shield exaggerated drain.

Thanks for the attention.

Edited by Burnthesteak87

4 hours ago, [DE]Megan said:

Volt Changes

• Volt’s Electric Shield will now ragdoll enemies when being carried while sprinting, like so:
  • Volt's Speed has been reverted to instantly affect allies in the cast radius, rather than create a pick-up
  • Allies can now backflip(aim + directional roll backwards)  to remove Volt’s Speed if they wish to opt-out. 

YES! Looks like we did it! Thanks for all the community support haha

Edited by -CM-Emptiness

6 hours ago, RealPandemonium said:

Always run max efficiency or close to it.  It offers too many advantages to pass up.  Low efficiency builds only work in very niche circumstances or when bandaids like EV and padspam are present.

Speed has not change mechanically except for the addition of reload speed, which does not affect modding.

Discharge's damage cap increases/decreases proportionally with power strength, so power strength will not affect its CC duration; only the enemies' resistance to Electric damage affects that.  

Appreciate the feedback on my builds. :3

More ideas:
When players used skill 3 and pick up the shield.
In addition to the original 1 Skills can charge it.
You can consider increasing adsorption function, so that an enemy adsorbed on the shield.
The enemy will be able to become "meat shields" to withstand melee damage.
At the same time, but also as media of the first  skills, electric shock surrounding enemies.
Finally, after the shield was abandoned, it becomes an EMP bomb .

37 minutes ago, kenken13 said:

More ideas:
When players used skill 3 and pick up the shield.
In addition to the original 1 Skills can charge it.
You can consider increasing adsorption function, so that an enemy adsorbed on the shield.
The enemy will be able to become "meat shields" to withstand melee damage.
At the same time, but also as media of the first  skills, electric shock surrounding enemies.
Finally, after the shield was abandoned, it becomes an EMP bomb .

can you elaborate more clearly?

Horray!  The Riot Shield got a buff, and WE STILL CAN'T USE IT!!!

Seriously, it doesn't matter WHAT you attach to Riot Shield.  If we can't afford it, we can't afford it.  Period.

I can't build my Volt to the threshold he needs to reach.  I simply can't without another mod slot.  Capacitance is more valuable to me than it should be, so I don't have the room to add Fleeting Expertise.

Why is it that Volt NEEDS so many mod buffs to work?  Is it just me, or is he so diluted now that he's more mods than 'Frame?

Seriously, we cannot keep trying to bash our heads against this wall.  We need to just find a door.  Either more mod space is needed on 'Frames in general, or Riot Shield needs lower drain.

Honestly, Riot Shield could be AWESOME if we could just afford it without destroying our builds to make it happen.  Especially with these changes to it, I might add.

Hell, I've gotta make a build to see how it feels right now.  Maybe I can sacrifice something crucial to make a gimmick work.

P.S., DON'T PULL RIOT SHIELD.  The drain (not the ability) is the issue.

1 hour ago, Cytobel said:

Horray!  The Riot Shield got a buff, and WE STILL CAN'T USE IT!!!

Seriously, it doesn't matter WHAT you attach to Riot Shield.  If we can't afford it, we can't afford it.  Period.

I can't build my Volt to the threshold he needs to reach.  I simply can't without another mod slot.  Capacitance is more valuable to me than it should be, so I don't have the room to add Fleeting Expertise.

Why is it that Volt NEEDS so many mod buffs to work?  Is it just me, or is he so diluted now that he's more mods than 'Frame?

Seriously, we cannot keep trying to bash our heads against this wall.  We need to just find a door.  Either more mod space is needed on 'Frames in general, or Riot Shield needs lower drain.

Honestly, Riot Shield could be AWESOME if we could just afford it without destroying our builds to make it happen.  Especially with these changes to it, I might add.

Hell, I've gotta make a build to see how it feels right now.  Maybe I can sacrifice something crucial to make a gimmick work.

P.S., DON'T PULL RIOT SHIELD.  The drain (not the ability) is the issue.

agreed. remove the energy per meter thing cause lets be honest here, your not going to get more than 20m max with the riot shield running unless your on Draco picking up energy orbs. reasonably, you should not going around with the riot shield for more than a minute.

...WELL NOW...

Alright, this build SORT OF works.

http://screencast.com/t/ZBIsInXS

The issue is that you don't have enough Strength for Speed or enough Range and Duration for Discharge.  On the other hand, you can waddle along with a shield VERY SLOWLY.

Honestly, it's not the worst build I've tried yet.  Requires an arcane helmet though.  Either Pulse or Storm are good.

Still, it's nowhere near as viable as trying to build for a specific move.  Speed needs to be better integrated with the rest of Volt's kit when it comes to requirements, or we have to choose to either/or with abilities...

EDIT:  lolz at the cassette tape Focus symbol,  Makes me smile everytime I use the Storm helmet, because it looks like that helmet has build-in headphones.  Clearly I must be listening to Metallica's Ride the Lightning

Edited by Cytobel
just for laughs

just did some initial testing on rag-doll mechanic on riot shield. seem inconsistent at times.

edit: the rag-doll effect only happens when you're sprinting - oh no.......

so here's what i propose-

electrified shield (shocked shield) receives either a blast or impact proc and that the riot shield knock enemies down like it does now but knocks them back about 10-20m or so meters. it could be a hell of a lot of fun if implemented knocking enemies into other enemies.

Edited by Aquasurge

1 hour ago, Cytobel said:

...WELL NOW...

Alright, this build SORT OF works.

http://screencast.com/t/ZBIsInXS

The issue is that you don't have enough Strength for Speed or enough Range and Duration for Discharge.  On the other hand, you can waddle along with a shield VERY SLOWLY.

Honestly, it's not the worst build I've tried yet.  Requires an arcane helmet though.  Either Pulse or Storm are good.

Still, it's nowhere near as viable as trying to build for a specific move.  Speed needs to be better integrated with the rest of Volt's kit when it comes to requirements, or we have to choose to either/or with abilities...

EDIT:  lolz at the cassette tape Focus symbol,  Makes me smile everytime I use the Storm helmet, because it looks like that helmet has build-in headphones.  Clearly I must be listening to Metallica's Ride the Lightning

Don't overthink it, C :).  Your gut and basic statement is right:

No matter what other "cool" feature(s) you add, without reduced energy costs, it's just pretty and useless...pretty useless beyond the early-mid game beautiful "period of discovery" experience for new players, and even the standard Volt has restrictive energy constraints.

Ragdolling enemies one-at-time means NOTHING in any sort of competitive PVE if I can't blitz the map.

So Riot shield as it is now is relegated to the "interesting but too ineffective to utilize" pile.

As for speed, been saying it for months: when active his passive should be the ability to execute his other abilities "on the run" without stopping:

Instant Utility

Instant Synergy

Instant Upgrade without direct damage/scaling issues DE is concerned about.

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73

We're slowly getting there, but Volt still needs more.

I'm going to use the classic negotiation tactic and ask for the world here, but be willing to compromise. 

Volt tweaks I still would like to see:

- Movement penalty and energy drain on movement removed from riot shield

- Being able to cast infinite Electric shields again (6 is much better than the original re-worked 4, but still)

- Cast Discharge in midair like you could with Overload

- Maybe a slight buff to Discharge's base range and cast speed.

19 hours ago, TwelfthAngel said:

Its a shame that with Volt you either build to make one of abilities shine while others pale in comparison, or they are all equally dull.

well i won't argue about your taste of dull. to me volt with min-maxing treatment is the worst thing ever happened to my volt, especially after rework. 

1 hour ago, Dizzle22 said:

We're slowly getting there, but Volt still needs more.

I'm going to use the classic negotiation tactic and ask for the world here, but be willing to compromise. 

Volt tweaks I still would like to see:

- Movement penalty and energy drain on movement removed from riot shield

- Being able to cast infinite Electric shields again (6 is much better than the original re-worked 4, but still)

- Cast Discharge in midair like you could with Overload

- Maybe a slight buff to Discharge's base range and cast speed.

This update brought little change but its good change, theres still more that is needed but were making progress 

@Dizzle22

you forgot to ransom back:

- the removal or improvement of the damage cap on enemies that gets them off of discharge before the full duration of the power: it should be duration or damage based, not both corpus get free instantly still with full shields, grineer stay put the full duration but take negligible damage

- the destruction of static enemies like cameras, turrets and sapper drones field generators - they are enemies, so they should be targeted;

- the destruction of all lighting fixtures in the area - plunging half a grineer or corpus ship in darknes was way cool and one of the few ways to actually "damage" a tile ( I feel the need to leave my mark werever i fight)

3 hours ago, Ikusias said:

@Dizzle22

you forgot to ransom back:

- the removal or improvement of the damage cap on enemies that gets them off of discharge before the full duration of the power: it should be duration or damage based, not both corpus get free instantly still with full shields, grineer stay put the full duration but take negligible damage

- the destruction of static enemies like cameras, turrets and sapper drones field generators - they are enemies, so they should be targeted;

- the destruction of all lighting fixtures in the area - plunging half a grineer or corpus ship in darknes was way cool and one of the few ways to actually "damage" a tile ( I feel the need to leave my mark werever i fight)

I would love a mixture of the old and the new... I just wanna zap em all with lightning... That's not happening right now but lets get to it!!! FORWARD MOTIVATION!!! @[DE]Rebecca  BRING ON THE LIGHTINING!!! :smile:   

Please???

4400182-3x2-940x627.jpg

Edited by Wolfnrun

6 hours ago, Wolfnrun said:

I just wanna zap em all with lightning... That's not happening right now

how is this not happening? shock, discharge? huh?

anyone else still having borked experiences with context button / shields? in today's rescue mission i stood in front of a hacking panel and repeatedly picked up my shields instead of hacking. as you can imagine i was in a hurry and lives were at stake so that was kinda annoying.

more qol stuff i'm still missing: please let us return to the weapon we held before picking up a shield automatically. shields still disappear when you die and yeah... jumping discharge please? :3 ... or is this actually a balancing measure? i know, nothing new to see here, just gentle little reminders :).

edit: *cough*anywordongunshieldinteractions?*cough* ... kk i'll knock it off.

Edited by Kotsender_Quasimir

9 hours ago, Kotsender_Quasimir said:

how is this not happening? shock, discharge? huh?

anyone else still having borked experiences with context button / shields? in today's rescue mission i stood in front of a hacking panel and repeatedly picked up my shields instead of hacking. as you can imagine i was in a hurry and lives were at stake so that was kinda annoying.

more qol stuff i'm still missing: please let us return to the weapon we held before picking up a shield automatically. shields still disappear when you die and yeah... jumping discharge please? :3 ... or is this actually a balancing measure? i know, nothing new to see here, just gentle little reminders :).

edit: *cough*anywordongunshieldinteractions?*cough* ... kk i'll knock it off.

Stop trying to steal my thunder! also ya I am having that to on the occasion when I accidently pick it up, it get annoying after a while 

21 hours ago, (PS4)cooper_m22 said:

When this comes to the PS4 I guess my Volt goes back to being a solo frame. Because the people i run with hate's Volts speed. I liked the speed the way it was before the hotfix at least it's not on the ps4 yet. 

The people I run with loved Volts speed.

There are far more advantages than disadvantages. DE did the right thing. It was ridiculous to over cater to a select few that didn't like the buff, and have the majority of teams that used the buff be negatively affected.