Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Rework Feedback [Post Update 18.13]

Satinpuppies

Hi, I main volt since I can remember. IMO, his rework changed nothing and was lazily executed. Here are his issues:

• Discharge needs to go altogether. Straight up bad design. Having to build specifically for it, and it being so inconsistent, limited not only by duration but by a damage cap?! Just makes it not worth using as you sacrifice the effectiveness of his 2 and 3. Please just wipe this ability out of existence and give him an ultimate that makes sense for a warframe based on speed, not just electricity.

• The energy drain on Current Shield is stupid. It is a gimmick and it costs too much energy to effectively use. And making it slow Volt down? Slow a speed frame down? What? Remove both the drain and the speed debuff, and you get a warframe that can face-first charge into a group of enemies, knock them all down, and keep running. Which honestly sounds like the way to go, and for the energy cost of one 2 and one 3 cast, it doesn't seem overpowered. This would also make the current shield and its augment actually worth using.

• His survivability could use some work. Speed encourages going melee as Volt. Volt Prime, with his average armor and high energy pool is a very good QT tank. Regular Volt, though? With 15 armor, the poor dude just dies. Volt is supposed to stay mobile. His only damage mitigation ability forces him to sit still, OR slows him down. He needs some damage mitigation, integrating it into Speed or giving him an ultimate that lets him somehow avoid damage without hindering mobility at all would be a good move here. Please refer to the point above, too.

With all the new warframes coming out and them having such good synergy between their abilities, Volt has been neglected for too long. He needs to be brought back up to speed.

I realise that there are warframes in a much more dire need of a proper rework, but I hope Volt sees the light some day. Please save the storm dude, DE.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Redstoneman said:

He needs some damage mitigation

we need shields to be worth a damn

volt has the ability to regen a ton of shields and easily reach the overshield cap for himself and allies, but 1 stray bullet and over 1500 shields  are gone, along with most of ur hp(if u dont outright die)

although this depends entirely on an augment

Edited by TKDancer

I have nothing better to do with my life right now. Volt rework idea. 

Shock not telsa coiling enemy(ies) makes it worthless compared to discharge, and thats saying something. It should at least tesla coil the first enemy hit. This gives its synergy with discharge some meaning, as basically you are resetting the timer on a tesla coiled enemy, at least definitely one, if not more.

Damage aside, shock not stunning enemies the same as discharge means you are wasting energy using it even 4 times seperately rather than 1 100 cost discharge. Even with discharges meaningless limitations, such as not being able to aircast it, or it barely holding non armored enemies any longer than the actual cast duration, discharge still does the job better than shock. Because shock does no meaningful damage in any meaningful mission level, like 40 and above, its really just a quick stun. But since the stun isnt the stun you can get when using discharge, the quick part is really all it has going for it. Take the time to discharge or be cheap and impatient?

If shock misses an enemy or hits the ground but is too far away from an enemy to shock it, it should leave a charged area on that surface that will work like an arc trap. We should be beyond the era of wasting 25 energy because shock doesnt want to work properly.

Also now since hydroid can charge up his 1, we should all have ideas for how shock can be charged and how that should work.

Speed is too short. I could say this until i was too old to hold my phone properly, and then id have to pay a caretaker to type it for me, and DE probably still wouldnt have changed it. Speed is also too intrusive into other peoples playstyles, it will even slow your frame down if your sprint speed is faster than the volts speed ability can make you run. I actually use mobility mods on volt to make him run faster, because speed for the whole mission rather than 15 seconds at a time is what makes the most sense to me, and my character does seem annoyingly slow when casting speed, but i wont be bothered to math. Its really only a melee ability, and not really a good one for every situation...its volt, and its not like he can carry a sheild around to help fight.

Sheild is sheild. No one in their right mind carries this, ill just make a wild assumption. Having to run/sprint/move fast to even knockdown enemies (because walking towards them doesnt work) is stupid, because it drains more energy for an effect that really doesnt do much of anything...which is what you wouldnt want, higher cost for less usefulness. I think it would be cool if it was a sheild bash like sheild lancers do that completely bashed an enemy into the ground like it does to us and possibly even shocked them in the process, what you would expect from an electrified electric electrical electricity sheild of electricalness...

Discharge. 

·Aircast

· Damage cap.needs to be axed

·Synergy with coiled containers/enemies and shock needs to be useful. Shock creating coils should help. Containers will chain electricity the way enemies do, because of shocks supposed current synergy with discharge, burst apart like electrical containers, and reduce the amount of time spent in t pose.

Its nice wasting time typing stuff like this...

Edited by (PS4)WINDMILEYNO
Edit

9 hours ago, Cryone said:

Volt revisited tomorrow, Proto skin? 
Hype?! :laugh:

Where is this info? Why is it tomorrow? No hype from me, worry. I cant stand playing warframe anymore, but if volt was actually good...

1). I hope they change or remove all of his synergies besides shocking sheild.

2). I hope discharge can be aircasted.

3). I hope speeds mechanics are fixed so it doesnt overwrite faster speeds and slow people down. Duration fix please. 

I would stop wasting volts energy. He is very inefficient. The energizer bunny is not impressed. Speed when not energizing allies should leave an area statically charged (50 meters? Smaller for every ally that gained speed) that allows you to gain static charge when meleeing or shooting enemies. Doesnt have to be a whole lot, but where is the energy going if not to allies? Off into the wind, thats where. 

If shocking the ground or just plain missing, shock will leave energy on the ground that works like an arc trap.

Yada yada, shock tesla coils, sheild does a heavy bash while walking the way grineer lances do, and enemies hit with sheild spark and a small (not too small) electrical shockwave is unleashed. 

Partical effects. Coolness. Electrical containers animation instead of the nothingness of shocking tesla coiled containers, and allow shock to chain on everything. No extra damage needed. I would play this game.

Edited by (PS4)WINDMILEYNO
Edit

Well guys, I'm starting to think that Volt is kept crap on purpose.

Say hello to Volt prototrash skin, he looks like a infested syndacate operator, they knew people didn't like it but made anyway.

9r5Ls39MRk62sA1i0QdwkA.pngjL4b6tuETpaQsjka-WyuTg.png

Volt Changes:

Since Volt has a new cosmetic entry, we've reviewed some long-requested QoL tweaks to his abilities to go along with it! 
We will be monitoring this very closely to make sure we haven't introduced exploitative power behaviour. Please leave your feedback in the appropriate subforum.

• Added a minimum Duration for enemies affected by Discharge under the 'coil' CC effect. This could allow for possible modding diversity knowing minimum Duration for the 'coil' CC effect won't fall below 4 seconds.
  • Removed the passive 5 Energy per second drain from Volt’s Electric Shield when moving with it. The 1 Energy per meter drain remains.
  • Increased the base DPS of Discharge (from 450 at max rank to 750).
  • Discharge is now castable in the air.

Point 1, they managed to nerf Discharge even more by increasing it's dps but not it's cap so it'll stop even faster and reach the cap of 4 seconds way more times, it should reach the cap in 5 seconds, before 10 if enemies weren't sharing the damage.

Point 2, the cap of 4 seconds ensure they take 4 times the listed damage.

Point 3, aircast is ok.

Point 4, making the shield drain over the distance it's worse than the over time cause it encourages builds for efficency and when Volt have a fleeting expertise they cast speed every 6,75 seconds, people have fun backflipping.

Summary, still sucks but with a small -.

The problems still are not fixed, the speedframe is still forced to be slow, shield still does not scall off anything, passive sucks, people hate speed possibly more, shock is still worse than prerework, vfx are still ugly.

Good thing I didn't realize these changes were coming, at least I did not hype for this.

Edited by giovanniluca

33 minutes ago, giovanniluca said:

Say hello to Volt prototrash skin, he looks like a infested syndacate operator, they knew people didn't like it but made anyway.

Yeah no. This post is embarrassing. This also counts as Dev-Bashing, so I suggest deleting this immediately. Some people happen to like it, including myself.

(also, what's with the color schemes? the original colors look better, lol.)

Can we talk about how there is still no cloth physics for Volt and the proto skin just rather didn't have any cloth so they didn't need to bother whit it?

I really want some since it look more and more ridiculuos that the tailcoat is stapled to the legs since everything else have some form of cloth physics.

Can't say I like the volt deluxe skin, never been a fan of asymmetrical designs but this one just feels like he forgot to put half his clothes on, it's like one side is dressed and the other is not.  I know design is subjective but you have to raise concerns over the direction the current designer is going with these designs because it does seem that it's not exactly being well received.  

I wouldn't mind seeing cloth physics on volt but at the same time his 'rigidity' kind of gives off a rubber (insulation from electricity etc) vibe

As to the rework, honestly because discharge still seems to have the cap it doesn't feel any different than before in the quick test I did.  I was already hitting the cap easy enough before and all this does is get there faster or with less enemies.  It needs to lose the cap for the changes to make any real difference or get some sort of scaling depending on the enemies we're attacking.   Being unable to increase the duration doesn't help either because we're always limited to that time for damage and as such we can't go for a long duration but low damage approach for true crowd control usage.  Casting in the air is handy but honestly unless the other aspects are fixed it's not going to change much.

I can't say I really used volts shield before and I still can't see a reason to use it now because of the cost per metre still being there.  If you want me to use it needs to be a simple duration approach like the fixed position shield where it lasts for x seconds before needing to be recast (ideally able to be recast before time runs out and while holding it to refresh timer) or a low energy per second approach. 

58 minutes ago, (PS4)ArtPrince17 said:

Yeah no. This post is embarrassing. This also counts as Dev-Bashing, so I suggest deleting this immediately. Some people happen to like it, including myself.

(also, what's with the color schemes? the original colors look better, lol.)

No devbashing here, a month ago or 2 there were threads abot the skin, no positive replies there, it does not represent the whole community but still.

Edited by giovanniluca

I see like no difference (maybe because I have efficiency at 85%) except that you can Discharge mid air (which is pretty cool and useful). 

-Either increase damage cap a lot or remove it 

-Heavily nerf or remove the energy drain 

-Don't have the shield slow you down

-Have Shock stack damage depending on how much strength you have. So if you have like example 261% power strength, you can still do a lot with it besides being a very useful stun 

-Increase base sprint speed to atleast 1.15 

Edited by CaptainStrawberry
  • Like 1

i like volt and i think it is well balanced atm. every warframe has abilities that are not used very often. shock is weak, only good to get you covered while you reload quickly. speed is always good, gotta go fast. shield is very nice. blocks everything, can be replaced but i dont recommend carrying it. ult is fine, especially with the buff it just got. passive is weak but many frames have worse than that. augments are very nice. capacitance is very strong. the only thing i would change about volt is the armor. the guy is too squishy. also he lacks a delux skin and now with this garbage skin released we are at 0% progress towards the delux skin and the release of this just delays it further

Edited by Cicasajt

1 hour ago, CaptainStrawberry said:

-Increase base sprint speed to atleast 1.15 

Actually never even thought of mentioning that.... we have frames like loki which are considerably faster than volt, the 'speed frame', at base speeds and due to the way speed is applied to another player the sprint speed performance gap actually increases if they're in range of volt when it's pressed.  At the very least volt should have equal fastest base sprint speed.

Mind you I wouldn't mind a movement speed buff to all frames too, sprint just doesn't really feel like a sprint more of a gentle run with the non sprint being jogging...  hell I even keep my sprint active nearly all the time because movement below that is just too slow, especially on the slower frames.  Yes I can put faster sprint mods on but why would I waste a slot when I have bullet jumping....

I might have said a few things about forgeting a rework, since Volt had just got "one", but I take that back, and as simple as it is, DE is still looking into it, which has a lot of merit just by that fact alone.

Considering now the "changes", I would say they changed nothing. Although the whole idea of synergy on Volt is completely off I still lack to see the reason why they're so reluctant to change him. Taking Nidus as an example, Volt falls so short it is embarassing. Nevertheless, my hope for a fix in our forsaken Volt is back, as DE seems to be still looking for ways to enhance him.

Several people have already posted their ideas here and I believe all of them had some value, even if just philosophical.

No comments on the skin, will skip it for sure.

Edited by Toramaru
grammar.

:|

Electric Shield shouldn't have a drain at all, it's already duration based. "It's an invincible shield it should have a drawback!" yeah except it's only in 1 direction, forces you to use your secondary, and slows you down (on a frame that's supposed to go fast what kind of blasphemy is this?). Meanwhile other frames can just pop 90-95% damage reduction with a single press of a button and just go wipe the map.

Discharge still has a damage cap. At the very least keep the damage cap but allow the CC to persist until the duration ends. And it has no vertical range but I assume this is just a bug.

Overall the update is 2 QoL changes to his ability at best. Volt is still just the same old Volt with same old problems.