Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Console & PC Controller / Gamepad Suggestions

(PSN)Crackle2012

1 minute ago, (PS4)underthumb said:

For sure, and I use it. But certain actions put you back into walk, and then you have to hit the run toggle button again. I want to run any time I do something other than gently push the analog stick.

While that might seem like a good idea it would break a lot of the control system for you. Sprinting breaks everything when active. Crouching, aiming, Stealth for Ivara, etc...

Toggle is the best option without breaking a billion other things.

Okay after War Within lets agree that controller gameplay was just broken and we all know this and its simply because we do not have the same freedom to set up our own control bindings as freely as keyboard and mouse players like tried running grineer siphon and it was a complete mess hopefully DE come up with a solution before it drops on console otherwise they will lose a massive playerbase on console due to unplayablity and frustration

43 minutes ago, MartianGHunter said:

Okay after War Within lets agree that controller gameplay was just broken and we all know this and its simply because we do not have the same freedom to set up our own control bindings as freely as keyboard and mouse players like tried running grineer siphon and it was a complete mess hopefully DE come up with a solution before it drops on console otherwise they will lose a massive playerbase on console due to unplayablity and frustration

We can assume DE has a second different team working on console ports. A team that tests with controllers because it's the sole method of input. They already have a very solid UI for console Warframe with controllers. For some reason it has not been back implemented to PC because reasons.

46 minutes ago, Wandrecanada said:

We can assume DE has a second different team working on console ports. A team that tests with controllers because it's the sole method of input. They already have a very solid UI for console Warframe with controllers. For some reason it has not been back implemented to PC because reasons.

Why is that? For the love of the Lotus, let the Console devs play the game on PC with a controller. They could just be all "Oh, hey, here's how you'll want to deal with this", instead of us PC Controller fans going "What the heck is L-CTRL or C or SPACE?!?" Seriously, those commands mean nothing to me.

Just now, Salenstormwing said:

Why is that? For the love of the Lotus, let the Console devs play the game on PC with a controller. They could just be all "Oh, hey, here's how you'll want to deal with this", instead of us PC Controller fans going "What the heck is L-CTRL or C or SPACE?!?" Seriously, those commands mean nothing to me.

This is one of the reasons I seriously considered playing the quest in Big Picture mode.  The only reason I didn't do that is because I had assumed that mode might glitch the game in some way.  As of this moment, activating the Transference is somewhat clunky at times during regular missions.  In my last mission just a few minutes ago, every time I tried to activate it I would get sucked back into my Warframe.  This was with full energy.  I'm still testing various possibilities for the controls to make them more fluid without sacrificing anything else. 

1 minute ago, DatDarkOne said:

This is one of the reasons I seriously considered playing the quest in Big Picture mode.  The only reason I didn't do that is because I had assumed that mode might glitch the game in some way.  As of this moment, activating the Transference is somewhat clunky at times during regular missions.  In my last mission just a few minutes ago, every time I tried to activate it I would get sucked back into my Warframe.  This was with full energy.  I'm still testing various possibilities for the controls to make them more fluid without sacrificing anything else. 

Unfortunately, your going to sacrifice a lot like at the moment my game is ruined there is no fluidity my movement is now clunky and my power casting when trying to access focus is a complete mess basically TWW was just go jump to anyone and everyone that is way more skilled with a controller and will not bend to whole if your PC use keyboard and mouse META

I think it's pretty important that, after activating Transference, the user be able to use the "hold to crouch" command instead of exclusively using the "toggle crouch" button.

Other than this suggestion, some of you may find my controller configuration useful... Though, if you have weapons that use secondary fire, god help you. Before someone suggests using the Home button, it can't be bound.

Spoiler

tumblr_ogm0jtmCEE1s1pef4o1_1280.png

Edited by .Ussar
Wanted to add some information that could help others.

10 hours ago, .Ussar said:

I think it's pretty important that, after activating Transference, the user be able to use the "hold to crouch" command instead of exclusively using the "toggle crouch" button.

Other than this suggestion, some of you may find my controller configuration useful... Though, if you have weapons that use secondary fire, god help you. Before someone suggests using the Home button, it can't be bound.

Hide contents

I have B as my Toggle-Crouch, so I can Toggle-Crouch, then hit A for my bullet jump almost instantly. My Melee is Right Bumper, so I can aim with both sticks while attacking, and Left Bumper is "Activate power". D-pad up is Waypoint, D-pad down is Gear menu, D-pad left and right are Power Previous and Power Next. That allows me to get to the Focus power as well, but not SPOILER Power #5. And Alt-Fire is the back button. And... I forget what my click buttons are. Pretty sure Right stick click is Sprint... or maybe Left. Not sure what the other has. Hmm.

23 hours ago, DatDarkOne said:

This is one of the reasons I seriously considered playing the quest in Big Picture mode.  The only reason I didn't do that is because I had assumed that mode might glitch the game in some way.

Having used Big Picture,

Spoiler

I can confirm that it only works up to the Void Blast ability. Still incapable of crouching, Void Dashing, Void Mode and reliable use of Transference. So...Yeah..They're lacking functionality.

However it does come with Command Prompts all the same. Which is just...funny. They've got the UI hints in BP mode, but they don't do anything.

Edited by Blakrana

I think something we've failed to talk about is the idea that the game's DEFAULT control settings are unplayable within some of the content.

Having the option to move things around is all well and good, but we should expect to progress through any content without having to change from the default control layout.

This should be an absolute minimum.

4 minutes ago, Wandrecanada said:

I think something we've failed to talk about is the idea that the game's DEFAULT control settings are unplayable within some of the content.

I can't really say that this is totally correct. But that is a preference thing that varies per player.

Before getting my Elite controller, I was using the default layout without fail. I only changed it slightly for the Elite controller to allow me to execute moves without taking my thumbs off the sticks. With the exception of placement of the Jump and roll button spots, my config is pretty much the default layout.

The main issue with power 5 in TWW (which i mentioned earlier in this topic) was really an oversight by DE from not testing that part quest with a controller. Add in the glitches in the update, and you have what we've seen here.  

Yeah, I'm using default controller settings iirc, and I'm going through the TWW on a USB Xbox 360 controller. Not to spoil too much, but in the tutorial zone for the new mechanic/play mode, I cant do squat without the keyboard. And since I am on a laptop without a USB mouse and an absolutely cancerous touchpad mouse built into this dang thing, I am ready to rip my hair out. We need controller support for this quest line, people. This is ridiculous.

EDIT: Yeah, the last comment Blakrana posted regarding Steam's Big Picture (the hidden content), still applies in my case as well. Although I doubted running the stand-alone client - because I don't trust my laptop to run an intensive program like Steam - would have made a real difference in the matter.

Edited by TucsonKaHN
Update concerning input from other user.

Great topic, hopefully this will help both refined the controller support on PC and Console Versions.

I also spent a great deal of time trying to get a proper control setup that just works, that's ergonomically sound and that's not too nonsensical. Here's what it looks like in the spoiler tab below ... Keep in mind there's at least three keybinds I don't particularly like, but that i'm stuck with due to restrictions with control bindings that hopefully you guys at DE will fix in the near future. I'll detail the pros and cons of everything, but I suggest trying it in game to see the ergonomics and how it works.

Spoiler

PS4_Controls.jpg

First of all, let's start with Warframe Abilities. Let me start by admitting that both default setups are terrible for warframe abilties. The Power Menu adds needless button presses and makes using spells tedious, while binding abilities on the touchpad work okay at best, but doesn't work well for precision targeting AND absolutely doesn't work when to comes to press/hold abilities like Ivara's Quiver or Vauban's Mines. It's also not compatible for most PC controllers.As such ,binding to the D-Pad is perhaps the most important thing you to help fix the default controls. With this setup, it's pretty easy to move one of your unused fingers on each fo the D pad buttons for precision targeting. I'll talk about Power E later, because things get complicated when it comes to this power and where to bind it.

Shooting Controls - It's only logical to use the triggers for aiming and shooting. These keys have pressure sensitivity, and they are the most commonly used and natural keys for any shooter. For secondary fire, I decided to put it on the square faceplate button because it's relatively easy to hit when you need to use it and if you hit it by mistake when using a weapon with no secondary fire, nothing will happen... Like opening a menu right in the middle of the action or some other undesireable thing.

Melee - Let me start by saying I find it pretty terrible to have melee bound to faceplate buttons. In a game where you constantly switch from gun to melee, the melee button should be near the shooting buttons. This setup is great for a couple of reasons. First of all, quick melee is easy to hit when doing shooting... And when you switch to full melee, the melee key stays the same, meaning it's not confusing to the user. Channeling replaces firing the gun... Which makes sense, while aiming is replaced by blocking, which also makes sense. You can swap channelling and blocking if you find it more natural, but to me it's more logical to have both attack moves on the same side, and both defensive things on the left side (slide and block).

Slide and Run - Run is put as a toggle on the left stick. Since the left stick is a movement stick, it makes sense and is not confusing. The slide gets a trigger because it's a key button you're constantly pressing to roll, slide, and so on... It is put on press to crouch so you can use it both for rolling, for bullet jumping and acrobatics and for sneaking while crouched.

Rest of the controls + the annoyances with the current setup - Triangle is used for weapon swap because it's relatively out of the way while still being easy to hit when you need. O is used for context sensitive actions/manual reload... Easy to hit and it works fine... The only annoying tthing is for some reason Sonicor reloads everytime you open a locker, which is quite annoying hopefully this bug will be fixed one day. The consumables button is stuck on the right stick, which pretty much sucks imho. I would want to put it on the touch pad, but THE GAME DOESN'T allow you to keybind the consumable menu to the TOUCHPAD... THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED PLEASE... VERY ANNOYING.

Rest of the Touchpad - I try to put most "unneccessary features on the touchpad" for a couple of reasons. 1 - Because it's kinda imprecise. 2 - Because when I use this control setup on PC, I don't have the touchpad, so I'd rather have stuff like "Open the Map / Mark Stuff / Open Scoreboard / Open Synthesis Scanner" on there, because when playing PC, I just use the keyboard to hit these features.

Btw , here's the setup for PC... As you can see, I reclaim the Share button as the "Quick Item Menu" button, and move the Power E to Right Joystick... Rest is identical and would work fine asides from one big issue - Press to Crouch doesn't work with the new operator moves as of today... Which sucks and makes it impossible to pull off void dash and stealth moves while using my controller setup. PLZ FIX THIS DE....

Spoiler

PC_Setup.jpg

POWER E - This is where it gets annoying. Ideally, I would place my Power E on the Right Joystick on Consoles and PC, because it fits there... But as i said earlyer, since I can't keybind the Consumable menu on the Touchpad due to ANNOYING RESTRICTIONS, I have to find a workaround for when War Within comes to Console. I might try to put POWER E on the "Touch Pad press" button, hopefully this is capable of pressure sensitivity and It will not cause any issues.

So there you go... Hopefully this will help you guys perfect , maybe add a new control preset and fix a few of the control issues with the current iterations.

Edited by (PS4)Stealth_Cobra

@(PS4)Stealth_Cobra That's an interesting set up. Have you tried the new Steam functionality with the DS4? Maybe you can replicate some of the possible interactions on console for PC.

I also keep thinking that controller users could just have an inbuilt sprint system thanks to the sensitivity of the joysticks, which would free another button, which would free, in turn, yet another button. I'd personally then would be able to bind roll to something. My only gripe right now is the map, and if the Steam solution works for DS4 Touchpad, I might just find the best set up possible for a controller.

Edited by NightmareT12

TWW: Hotfix 19.0.4 is live, and with it comes some patch notes claiming to have fixed the lack of controller support. I gathered as many of the responses at this point in a single post to the thread, but I would like to know what/how everyone else feels now that we're seeing further action by [DE] to support controller use. What is now working? What is not working so much? I fully intend to patch my launcher in the next few minutes and give it a whirl myself soon; my feedback will be gathered as soon as I can determine what is working and what is not on my own end.

6 hours ago, (PS4)Stealth_Cobra said:

.. Void Crouch still does't work with toggle crouch with the hotfix.

I suspect that, because the Void Crouch mechanic requires the button to be held, that the toggle is not an available option to begin with.

I am also playing with the default button layout while using an Xbox 360 Controller wired to my laptop via USB, so if you have a custom setup then you may need to adjust your keybinds/button mapping/etc.

7 hours ago, (PS4)Stealth_Cobra said:

.. Void Crouch still does't work with toggle crouch with the hotfix.

Really? I did it just fine yesterday. I have my Toggle Crouch set to B, and I could Void Stealth and Void Dash just fine, because I have to hit A to Jump. Was farming some Kuva last night.

Might need to remap the Toggle Crouch to a different key, as @TusconKaHN suggested.

On 14/11/2016 at 3:00 AM, .Ussar said:

Hide contents

I use a near identical setup, but your setup has one flaw (depends on weapon used). It does not have a Secondary Fire key. The need for a secondary fire key is what completely destroyed my setup to where I can't add the focus button. So it's a lose-lose situation :/

Rest in Peace Secondary Fire. You have been replace with Power E. 

This would not have been an issue if let's say:

Spoiler
  • You can't use your Focus Power unless in Operator Mode
  • Have a separate button mapping when in Operator Mode
    • This will allow for usage of current (and new future) Operator "abilities"
    • Solve issue of having to hold down a button.

In short,

1. Press Power E to activate Operator Mode.
  2. Now, Operator has own separate button Config (just like warframe abeit more limited; think Lunaro) with full customization that allow a dedicated button for activation Focus.
  3. Press Focus button (while in Operator mode) and the Operator will take a power-up stance and then unleashes Focus.

13 hours ago, Salenstormwing said:

Really? I did it just fine yesterday. I have my Toggle Crouch set to B, and I could Void Stealth and Void Dash just fine, because I have to hit A to Jump. Was farming some Kuva last night.

Might need to remap the Toggle Crouch to a different key, as @TusconKaHN suggested.

Yeah, tried it at hotfix 4 and it seems fixed now...

10 hours ago, (PS4)Stealth_Cobra said:

Yeah, tried it at hotfix 4 and it seems fixed now...

Oh good. Hotfix 4 seems to have fixed a lot of the controller issues with TWW.

It's just too bad that was a good 4 days of TWW where it wasn't so good.

Here's the underlining PC + Controller Gamepad Suggestion Feedback: Stop treating PC Controller players as an afterthought, DE!

If they stopped that, I'm pretty sure this thread would be a non-issue.