Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why are there no plus sized frames?

TheyreFood

*Spoilers*

You in addition to what has been said, you can only push the 12 year old mentally linked to killing machine so far. For accurate movement the increase scale of the frames would be too much a of a hinderance. The excess bulk outside of normal parameter would make swapping frames more stressful than needed.

At least If I was designing a set of frames Id keep the relative specs within %'s with very little in the way of outliers for convenience of the operator.

My 2 cents.

-bob

1 minute ago, Visione said:

what is this for fallacious argument? i happen to be a normal sized person, kinda skinny, do you think i feel special because i can play with all kinds of cool skinny frames? not really. what makes you assume fat people need fat frames to feel special? this is bigotry and discriminating.

this exactly

Alright, since warframes no longer use stamina, forget about that. Excess body fat will physically impede their movements, and since that much detail can't be had in he game there will just be tons of clipping. Imagine a fat frame performing the Aquarid Narta. Their leg would disappear.

Edited by Kethus

"Token Black Guy"

As already pointed out, it wouldn't fit with Warframe's theme, being one of Space Wizard-Ninjas that can move around and through the environment at break-neck speeds.

Edit: ...with a certain amount of grace and fluidity. And then there's the technical limitations of the existing animation sets (and the underlying animation system).

Edited by DeltaPhantom

Just now, TheyreFood said:

2. it's not forced, there are a ton of ways this could fit with the theme of warframe, easy

Knowing the pristine and efficient Orokin, I doubt heavily they'd consider a plus sized Warframe design. Personally I don't think it would fit thematically, though I don't really care if its added or not.

My issue is that the Warframes never stood as a representation of anything, they aren't characters, they have no voice and the only stories of them are their demise. They should be their own individuals with their own method of genocide, not a representation of a group of people since none of them currently are. 

Just now, Visione said:

what is this for fallacious argument? i happen to be a normal sized person, kinda skinny, do you think i feel special because i can play with all kinds of cool skinny frames? not really. what makes you assume fat people need fat frames to feel special? this is bigotry and discriminating.

This.  

It's not about "feeling special."  Representation is important for everyone.  There is no harm in representing a diverse audience, and plenty of good.  Warframe as a game puts a massive emphasis on customization, from cosmetics to mechanics - it can only gain by pushing the envelope in this regard.  The argument of "You don't need representation to feel special" always comes from a feeling that the group in question shouldn't be represented.  

There are some aspects of identity that would be illogical to represent with Warframes.  Their sentience at this point is ambiguous at best, and they don't seem to be organisms capable of sexual reproduction, so any perceived sex is entirely cosmetic and based on secondary sexual characteristics, while perceived gender comes down to body lanuage which is again cosmetic.  You can already put a female animation set on a male body, but for true non-binary gender representation, if it were to happen in Warframe, it probably wouldn't happen with the Warframes themselves

At the same time, the Operators have androgynous bodies, their facial features/hair/voices can be used in any combination.  The Operator can conceivably be representative of the gender/sexual identity of the player fairly easily.  

But the Operators are constrained in their body types by their current predicament - their bodies appear to be largely atrophied and their health is questionable.  They have a reason to have a certain body type.

So if you're going to show a more diverse range of body types for players to customize their characters with, why not do it through the Warframes?

But...why does it matter? Also comparing Warframe to other games, and using what other games do as a crutch for an argument means that you literally have no leg to stand on.

Theres no real point in making a fat frame other than for theme. If we had a sumo frame, it would make sense for it to be fat, but just simply crying "waah! I NEED TO BE REPRESENTED IN A VIRTUAL WORLD!" will get us no where. How bout you make up a frame who's theme would make sense for being overweight instead of this thread? This thread can only become toxic due to the subject matter.

Just now, Agentawesome said:

They should be their own individuals with their own method of genocide, not a representation of a group of people since none of them currently are. 

i agree i never said that we need the plus sized frame to be a token and a representative for all plus sized people, just having some plus sized frame would be neat-o

Let me slot my 2 cents in.

First, having fat frames because 'why not' is a bad idea. Warframes are designed with a theme, a purpose: if DE come up with a concept that fits the physical attributes of a large person, I'm fine with it. Imagine a 'Devourer frame': A frame built to be very large and very strong, growing larger with enemies eaten. That works, you have a reason for making it seem fat. If you don't, well, imagine a fat fairy frame. Doesn't work. Without fitting a theme and a reason to be fat it undermines the design philosophy that makes Warframe unique.

Second, remember the movements Warframes go through:: the weapon stances, the parkour. Visually it would look very bad for a fat frame to be doing these because everything would clip into everything. And no matter how fit a fat person is, the laws of physics affect their mass, and they can't really change it. There re inconsistencies now, but they need to be ironed out, not more added to their mix.

If DE does add a plus sized frame for the sake of representation other groups will want to be represented too. Now they will also have to make a disabled warframe, warframe of short stature, and a somehow visibly homosexual frame.

Honestly, I think the idea of bodytypes for frames is A) silly for something that's been designed for combat from the ground up, and with remote control in mind, and B) already achieved to a small degree. Look at the size differences between someone such as Zephyr and Hydroid. There's more 'Hydroid' than there is 'Zephyr'.

3 minutes ago, Kethus said:

If DE does add a plus sized frame for the sake of representation other groups will want to be represented too. Now they will also have to make a disabled warframe, warframe of short stature, and a somehow visibly homosexual frame.

how exactly can you be "visibly homosexual"?

---

and no thats not a problem, and if the theme fit i woudl eb ok with a shorter warframe, and a "disabled" warframe

2 minutes ago, Kethus said:

Warframes are already controlled by paraplegic children.

But BACK ON TOPIC.

I feel like many people assume the creator of this thread is referring to "Plus size" as someone so fat their belly button could touch their ankles if they kneel down. That would be, yes, dumb. But a frame who's just a bit thicker? That seems far more plausible. And I'm assuming that's what the creator has in mind?

3 minutes ago, Letter13 said:

Well they're synonyms, so, either or.

Not really.

Gender is the social, psychologically assigned identity of one's orientation.

Sex is the biologically determined orientation.

For example, a person can be born male and identify as female. For that person, the sex will be male but gender will be female.

46 minutes ago, TacoFlap said:

what if they made a fat mechanic

you know those frames you never run? have them get fattier the longer you neglect them.

Then I'd need a crane to get my Limbo out of the Orbiter...

On topic (Second Dream Spoilers):

Spoiler

@TheyreFood,, perhaps allowing more customization for Operator weight would be a more plausible suggestion.

1 minute ago, (PS4)WiiConquered said:

Then I'd need a crane to get my Limbo out of the Orbiter...

Hide contents

@TheyreFood,, perhaps allowing more customization for Operator weight would be a more plausible suggestion.

cant believe you are actually entertaining this notion, you of all people lol

Just now, (PS4)WiiConquered said:

Reveal hidden contents

This I could see. I feel it'd be more trouble than it'd be worth, but it would certainly make more sense.

I want an angular Warframe, one that's just made non-rendered and unshaped. XD

18 hours ago, Visione said:

you mean steven seagal?

Woah, woah, woah. You take that back, that man is a national treasure. More importantly he is about Hydroid's size I'd say.

18 hours ago, TheyreFood said:

are heavier people not allowed to be represented? blizzard gave us one... just one, we have a spot in league of legends, and a ton in wow... why not warframe?

17 hours ago, TheyreFood said:

i agree i never said that we need the plus sized frame to be a token and a representative for all plus sized people, just having some plus sized frame would be neat-o

It certainly seems like you were implying that plus sized people need to be represented in more then just Warframe. Why though? If you just thought it was cool you would of made a frame concept like most people. However this thread is more like your fighting everyone, so you can be represented in Warframe.

Let's actually look at Rhino. His feet are practically shaped like an elephants. His stomach looks like a furnace grill. His chest plat has an open space where it looks like a heart would beat. He appears to have all these compensations just to be able to move close to the regular pace of a warframe, while still carrying all that mass. In knowing this and all the other arguments presented, do you still think an overly-sized warframe would be logical with the lore, the trends we see with the frames, and what the frames have to perform?

17 hours ago, RavenousPartyLibrarian said:

None, of course.

Unless we're being stereotypic.

Maybe... we should avoid that.

But it'd be funny.

Can we start with the Rocky Horror Picture Show? If DE ever give us a frame that they define as homosexual (which we know they won't do). I want him to be the embodiment of that movie ;)

Edited by Postal_pat