Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

why is the Nikana praised?

BaconOnARock

21 minutes ago, BaconOnARock said:

can anyone tell me why the nikana is so good? it seems that something like the galatine is a direct upgrade in every way, what advantage does the nikana really have over anything else?

Galatine hits harder with more base damage......Nikana Prime has 30 less base damage, but hits faster and has 20% crit compared to the Galatine's 10%.

The minor increase in speed and the major increase in crit potential means that the Nikana Prime will scale far, far harder than the Galatine will when using the expanded melee mod suite too, meaning that the Nikana Prime can ramp up significantly higher than the Galatine, significantly faster. The gap of crit potential between 10% and 20% is kind of huge.

Also looks cooler and has the Blind Justice stance.

Edited by BornWithTeeth

statistically, a Nikana Prime is generally better than a Galatine. it's faster and has both higher crit and status. before that, the Dragon Nikana was the go to for many players.

in truth though there are many factors as to why Nikanas are so popular. for a start they are essentially Katanas, perhaps the most well known and revered type of sword on earth. whether you love or hate Katanas, there's no denying their place in popular culture;  the likes of Kill Bill, Shadow Warrior, and god only knows how many Animes helped to put them in the spotlight. many people love the way they look, myself included, though I love all swords about as equally as each other. and in recent years, I've noticed a large increase in anime and Japanese culture acceptance, most people I know have at least heard of Anime, and many of them follow at least one series, be it Dragonball Z, Tokyo Ghoul or whatever.

and then there's the stances. both heavy Blades and Nikanas have three stances each, but there is much more variety in the Nikanas; the Two-handed strikes of Decisive Judgement, the Reverse-grip style of Blind Justice, and the more contemporary Tranquil Cleave. the Haevy blades can only really be swung around in different directions, which doesn't have as much appeal.

by all means, enjoy the Galatine, I freaking LOVE mine, but Nikanas are generally a better choice for many scenarios.

Because they're arguably the some of the best weapons in the game.

Now, I've never been a fan of eastern-style swords - they just lack the weighty feel I love when using a galatine or jat kittag - but even I use them when going to top-tier missions.

Also, everyone wants to be a space ninja.

On June 27, 2016 at 7:14 PM, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

by all means, enjoy the Galatine, I freaking LOVE mine, but Nikanas are generally a better choice for many scenarios.

You summed the entire deal up very eloquently. Regarding the last part however, even in that case of heavy blade comparison, War's damage output seems to be greater than that of the Galatine's.

Edited by LazerSkink

because it's a Katana and everybody thinks it's the best sword ever designed because they heard from someone else that they think the same thing.
mfw people don't know anything about swords.

but in Warframe, Katanas have good jack of all trade stats (Katana Prime is more like queen of all trades).
therefore competitive with other Archetypes. they are not universally better than others though because of how Stances make comparisons less applicable. those saying otherwise are being a fanboy towards something.

their Range is abysmal though.

Galatine isn't as fast or as crit-viable, so the Dragon Nikana rivals its DPS, and the Nikana Prime exceeds it.

Edit: Also, there are two good Heavy Blade stances, one being a one-combo pony that locks you into a long animation, and the other being horrifically rare.
Nikana stances are all more or less equal with the trade-offs they make, have more than one good combo per stance, and have snappy animations that don't lock you in for very long.

Edited by Dreddeth
Stance comparison.

45 minutes ago, BaconOnARock said:

can anyone tell me why the nikana is so good? it seems that something like the galatine is a direct upgrade in every way, what advantage does the nikana really have over anything else?

8 minutes ago, Lord_Azrael said:

Because people apparently really enjoy doing finishers that take a reeeaaaallllyy long time to complete, even though most of the animation is you just standing around thinking about what you've done.

It takes longer to type "reeeaaaaallllllly" than it does for the animation to finish so yeah, hyperbole is awesome.

galatine holds up better than any of the nikanas primed or other wise don't let the stats fool you.

galatine also has great cc with the slam in its combos + its a multihit weapon.

nikana benefits from channeling while galatine doesn't need it

galatine keeps up the combo meter  and will get the multiplier higher than nikanas quicker.

nikana gets its praise for being a katana.

galatine finishers are just brutal sound and looks.

Edited by ranks21

37 minutes ago, taiiat said:

because it's a Katana and everybody thinks it's the best sword ever designed because they heard from someone else that they think the same thing.

Ironically made from some of the worst (base) metal on earth.  anyway.

Anyway, pretty much fashion frame.  As with the real thing, the elegant simplicity and slight curve is just... mmm.  Galatine with a Shadow Debt slash status build though... lol augmented armor sorties.  The speed (once spooled up) of a Nikana and the high damage makes it a great choice for single target melee though, and it's a crit monster, so it goes great with Naramon cheese.

Edited by (PS4)Cwellann
grammar. again.

52 minutes ago, taiiat said:

Cool factor > facts in vidja games, and anime, movies, and games have firmly solidified katanas as "cool" for most people... me included.

Edited by AXCrusnik

35 minutes ago, AXCrusnik said:

Cool factor > facts in vidja games, and anime, movies, and games have firmly solidified katanas as "cool" for most people... me included.

What he said, im still waiting for a hussar blade, people like it due to what this man said compared to our own cool European history.
This blade was forged arround 16th century when the Polish-commonwealth had its own empire approx. occupying half of central/east europe and was being invaded from 3-4 empires at the same time. The secret of their succes was simple, in the middle ages empires mass produced swords and they broke often while the Commonwealth outsourced all their swords to india and had thousands of smiths working for a decade on each sword. Now most countries decided to craft swords in shorter amounts of time and of less quality, this empire decided to not cut down on blade costs and instead outsource as much needed to proffesional smiths in india which have been revered as one of the best smiths in the world for as long as history can remember.

Some of the battle numbers were insane: 1800 hussars vs 30.000 ottomans with only 15 cassualties on hussar side and total anhilation on ottoman side.
I just wanted to leave my story here as i feel allot of youngsters rather appreciate this foreign Japanese cult, but dont realise we in the EU and USA had our own heroes and prestiges we can be proud off.

big_PA261053.JPG?lm=1418136914

Spoiler

heavy_polish_winged_hussars_by_cg_zander

Edited by Drag0nChaser