Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Beta, Official release?

Rizilliant

Just now, KJRenz said:

It allows DE to update the game very very frequently. Also, not closed beta, open beta.

DE will decide if it's in beta or not. With the beta tag, it allows them to do many things with the game without issues.

League is the same game on the same map. All the "drastic changes" that it does is a new champion or a rework.

I've actually always thought that DE has used the Beta tag for this loing because there's much stuff they want to do still.

Just to put an example, ever since we came out of Open Beta:

-2 Iterations of the Star Chart, with the current one finally looking like something final.

-Quest system implementation

-No longer floating in space, now we got a ship

-Rebalancing of the Warframes

-Reidealization/imagination of several boss characters of the Grineer Faction

-Reimagination of various game modes, like Spy or Sabotage

-Addition of high level content, which is still being worked on

-Unification and cohesion of various lore, visual and key design elements.

-Implementation of various new tilesets to make the Solar System feel more diverse

-The damn soundtrack :P

I could go on, but I'm pretty, pretty sure that Warframe could come out of Open Beta next year if DE manages to finally adress the various stuff they're working on. And I'm being dead serious.

15 minutes ago, KJRenz said:

It allows DE to update the game very very frequently. Also, not closed beta, open beta.

DE will decide if it's in beta or not. With the beta tag, it allows them to do many things with the game without issues.

League is the same game on the same map. All the "drastic changes" that it does is a new champion or a rework that takes them either months or years to do.

the game on steam isn't in early access therefore it is not in beta and thus released, nothing shows me this game is still in beta.

''but there are new bugs all the time''

well obviously considering you keep releasing new content.

obviously DE decides officially if it's in beta or not but clearly to the average and any new player this game is not in beta

2 hours ago, Rizilliant said:

Its been several years now, and it doesnt appear to have an end in sight.. Are there any plans for it to ever officially release? Or is it going to stay in a permanent beta state?  Im asking honestly, because i really am curious, and it will affect my decision whether to continue playing or not. I dont watch their little dev streams, or talks, or whatever, and as you can see, i dont really use the forum much..

Im sure this has been asked many times, But i didnt find any with a quick search..

I don't think so. I think possibly it could come out when we're able to get to MR 30 but DE has always said they would continue to update they game and add more and more and more in a never ending stream. I'm not so sure how they can keep up the lore and entertainment and such for old players but being that they will continue to update the game forever, don't view it as beta, view it as something like minecraft. It's not in beta, but it continues to update forever.

A game that keeps on having constant updates which adds and changes stuff is obviously in "beta" state.Its not like your "old" games which were final releases and you would only have a patch,maybe two IF any at all to fix some stuff but thats it.No adding stuff no nothing.DLCs are add-ons for a finished game and it doesnt require you to buy them. to finish the game.

Edited by svanced

This game is not in beta, and hasnt been for a long time, being in beta doesnt make any difference to how much they can patch or change it, just no one has ever said its not in beta so it still is but isnt if you get me lol.

imo you cant make people pay for stuff like plat prime access etc and say "this game is beta" its just an excuse what people use when something is badly broken.

but alas it makes no difference either way

3 hours ago, Calwon5 said:

The game will hopefully come out of beta once we reach 'Mr 30. 

I view every major update as the game itself reaching a new mastery rank. It's currently almost at MR 19. It just needs to level up a new quest, The War Within, to reach it. It'll release with update 30.

Also, I'm kinda worried and excited because Titania is the 30th warframe and the game so far has treated the number 30 with some reverence.

15 minutes ago, QuietBiro said:

I view every major update as the game itself reaching a new mastery rank. It's currently almost at MR 19. It just needs to level up a new quest, The War Within, to reach it. It'll release with update 30.

Also, I'm kinda worried and excited because Titania is the 30th warframe and the game so far has treated the number 30 with some reverence.

Well Titania is pretty unique as she has the power to shrink and fly around. I think it would be EXTREMELY USEFUL FOR SPY VAULTS.

First of all beta status give some benefits in legislation. So the game will stay in beta forever until the death of the game itself and server shutdown. The game is already about 4 years old (since open beta) and will exist 3 or 4 more. Then people will get bored and start to leave.

I wouldn't even consider Warframe a beta. It's more of an alpha, because DE is still adding new features to the game. Don't understand what I'm saying? Check this out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_development#Milestones. You can also check out this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Alpha.

Will it ever be out of alpha? No, it won't. Why not? Because DE profits too much from this alpha-stage game for them to actually move it out of alpha into beta and then into a gold state. There is no incentive for DE to make this any more than an alpha-stage game.

Edited by AntoineFlemming

1 hour ago, svanced said:

A game that keeps on having constant updates which adds and changes stuff is obviously in "beta" state.Its not like your "old" games which were final releases and you would only have a patch,maybe two IF any at all to fix some stuff but thats it.No adding stuff no nothing.DLCs are add-ons for a finished game and it doesnt require you to buy them. to finish the game.

Like Witcher, World of Warcraft, Starcraft, Destiny, Elder Scrolls Online, Path of Exile, Diablo, and any other game that releases, and continues to add content, updates, bugs fixes, expansions?  

Im not sure why people think the beta tag is a good thing for them. The only beneficiary of that beta tag, is DE themselves.. Until then, your Forma weapons/frames will continue to get changed in the name of "balance", but in reality, just to change it up, because they can.. All those bugs introduced in Specters of the Rail, broken, unfinished content? Excused... Sorry mate, but the minute the cash shop is up and running, that beta BS needs to come off..

Adding/changing existing content doesnt seem to be to better the game.. Look a the recent update.. Players repeatedly ask "why change what none of us asked to be changed", Why break what wasnt broken"?  Its not to update the game.. Its to change it up, when players beginning showing fatigue, and the revenue slows down.. Then some dramatic change that refreshes th experience, and gets the market flowing again.. ANyone looking at it objectively would come to the same conclusion..

Edited by Rizilliant

I just went back, and checked on Steam.. Nowhere in the Library, description, Store Page, or $20.00- $100.00 dlc is there any mention of it still being beta.. Perhaps is buried somewhere below, in a drop down?  Nope.. Just mentions of Tennogen, a quick description of the game, and awards praise.. Theres no tiny "beta" in the cover art, no beta tag, nothing... 

Edited by Rizilliant

51 minutes ago, Rizilliant said:

Like Witcher, World of Warcraft, Starcraft, Destiny, Elder Scrolls Online, Path of Exile, Diablo, and any other game that releases, and continues to add content, updates, bugs fixes, expansions?  

Yes,those games are not a finished(or if its easier like this:completed) product.

Technically the game is not in a beta state anymore.  If it were beta, it wouldn't have a fully functional market system, the game wouldn't be fully developed, the player base would directly influence the game ("influence" meaning controlling the game) and not just provide feedback, etc.  The game is fully developed - we have a fully functional game that is being given the label "beta" so the devs can keep adding more dlc and updates.  Oh, we're definitely out of beta.  The question is when the game's *story* will be complete. Again, probably not until around Mr30, but that might be about 5 years down the road at the current trajectory. 

Edited by Firefly0037

For an online game like this, that is constantly being developed and evolving, the release is the moment when it has been made available to everyone and has begun to take microtransactions. That's it. All the rest is just a meaningless words attached to it.

Not to mention that the game is almost hit version 19.0, and the point of release is at 1.0.

Edited by WindigoTP

I struggle to understand why meaningless formalities would define your decision to play or not? Being officially released doesn't really mean a whole lot these days when games get fixes and additions all the time and given Warframes format, it makes even less sense to officially release a game like this. Doesn't bother me one bit, because this is a great game, far better than majority that is released these days.

Monetization and platform have nothing to do with the beta designation.

Beta means a product is feature complete but requires fine-tuning and bug fixing.

Warframe as a game will never be feature complete, so wondering when it's going to move past beta is missing the point.

Sorry if somebody made the same point already, not going to read all the comments. 

Compare this to other MMO's or MMO-like games. Star Trek Online (STO) and most other games run updates with 3, 6, months or longer gaps, usually. And they run fully separate test servers. Warframe is like those games test servers, with updates coming more frequently. Also, major game system get overhauled more frequently then is seen in most games. This creates the persistent Beta-like state of Warframe. Is the game in a classic BETA-state? No. But, Warframe has many repeated tile sets for areas that are planed to be unique, many bugs that haven't been ironed out and have left the game in a state of rapid change and debug that doesn't make a final product either. It only takes money, from player, through a pay to convenance model to reduce time walls. That is a defining line for many, but this is one of the least painful of F2P models out their, something that in almost universally recognized. No pay to win schemes, just pay to reduce wait times for grinding, and building gear.

No doubt this is not perfect, and not to everyones standard. But, Warframe delivers a lot of game with a solid basic foundation of gameplay the you can get hundreds of hours out of (well over a thousand for myself). Don't get too hung up on the Beta tagline. It is a property that lets Warframe be the great game it is. If this didn't exist, Warframe wouldn't exist. IF you imagine that it somehow did come to pass, then the game still wouldn't be out, or would have, probably, half the content, because it isn't feature complete (technically). Also, keep in mind that DE is delivery a full AAA third person action game MMO-like game. Something that in the field is rare, or nonexistent. Seriously, look at all the other MMO's. They are built in MMO engines with action that feels clunky and weird. Warframe feels like a real game. It has real cut-scenes, with fully mo-capped, and voice acted action. It has so, much, but really it has a clear roadmap for a great potential. Comparatively, Warframe is embarrassing for the competition, because their is a solid enough game at a fraction of the cost companies struggle or can't duplicate with billions of dollars and many more people.

Again, its not perfect. Sometimes I want the polish of a game like the Witcher 3, or Dishonored. Or the depth of a Fallout, or other massive RPG world. But, those games all come from a specific set of competencies, cost, and time. DE can give us this game because enough people pay out of their own pocket to fund it. And its the game only they could give us, and its a game they have been trying to make is some fashion, ever since 2000-01. Game could have been a Unicorn. Instead its something we can grow to be complacent about. Have fun Tenno.