Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Story Behind Your Name

DawnThade

So I was playing some Deus Ex Human Revolution, and there are these little things called Praxis packs, and because I played it for like 2 nights straight and I needed a new nick for steam because the old one was more garbage than this I accidentally named myself, have been using it everywhere since then.

8 minutes ago, DerkmeisterPrime said:

Derk is my name missing a letter

Meister cause I live in germany and meister means "Master"

Prime cause I heard the better variants of items are "Prime"

Ah, a fellow Derek. And spelled the correct way, no doubt. (Really? Derrick? The heck is that?)

Named after a character in the movie Full Metal Jacket, except I had misheard "Rafter Man" as "Raptor Man" and didn't know till years later after reading the books.

Apparently the character got the nickname from climbing up into the rafters at a strip club for a better view, and then falling directly on to a table that a general was sitting at. A man after my own heart.

First used the name on an alt character in World of Warcraft, but it's since developed into the handle I use in most games.

Edited by rapt0rman

My name is a typo, wich i kept for over a decade now. Cerbius was the original name to be used when i created an account for Gaia Online, wich was a more, childish or simpified versoon of Cerberus. But thanks to my Aphasia, when i was registering, i made a type and missed the R, thus, creating, Cebius.

I liked it though, so i went and kept it, and since then, i been using the same username ever since.

at first it just sounded cool at the time, but it eventually evolved into because i like gentlemanly looking charcaters (or just wearing a cool trench coat or robe) who look like they'd rip you limb from limb if they wanted to (i.e limbo (with the ripkas and the right color scheme), alucard (hellsing), and/or nightmare (FNAF4)) 

9 minutes ago, Kialandi said:

Kialandí - elven Dragon Rider, bonded to a purple dragon, who joined Galbatorix and became one of the Forsworn.

From Inheritance cycle, mostly known as Eragon, by Christopher Paolini

You know, I expected to not like those books. I was wrong, though. They were surprisingly well written.

19 minutes ago, (PS4)Shade0217 said:

(Really? Derrick? The heck is that?)

It's a lifting device commonly used for cranes and oil pumps. Funnily enough, it's named after an Elizabethan executioner. So the original Derrick was a person.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derrick

*edit: oh, and he was convicted of rape but pardoned on the condition that he become the executioner. He later executed his pardoner. The more you know.

Edited by Lord_Azrael

Steampunk part: I adore steampunk in almost all facets of it. I'm not a fan of the gritty, depressing, and cynical part of it, but I love and cannot get enough of the idealistic version of it! The amazement of it's insane inventions, the magnificent feeling of adventure, and the general wanderlust that comes from almost every work that's done with it's genre. Love it, love it, love it!

Jester part: I'm normally the jokester of my friends, but I didn't want to put "Joker" because people would think of a Steampunk version of Joker from Batman, so i went with Jester (personally I think it flows better than Joker would've).

Edited by (PS4)SteampunkJester

I was a little kid, just played Supreme Commander addon, and decided seraphims are awesome. Then, when I tried to create mail with the said name, it was taken, so I got _94 added. Oh, and of course I made a spelling mistake :P

And obligatory SomeReallyRandomName for secondary accounts. You'd be surprised how many of those aren't occupied :D

When I got my first PC of my own and started foraying into forums I decided to use a name from my Warhammer 40k Sisters of Battle army.  I had named every character after a character played by Milla Jovovich and I thought Canoness Leeloo was a bit much so went for Palatine Katinka.  I used that name in a fair few games and forums (including on Steam) but decided to shorten it for Warframe.  Then they went an released a Palatine skin and I feel like such a hipster because I was Palatine years ago...

My first game tag was Blademaster (Orc hero in Warcraft 3, I just liked him). After few years I didn't liked it anymore because it wasn't original. I change it to Night Hawk because it sounded good, well better than "Blademaster". I got bored of it because it wasn't that original as i would liked it and for some reason it was hard for others to remember. So i anted to change it again and I just used Polymerisation on those two and got this  fused those 2 from before in to HawkBlade and just added number 94 at the end because it was take in most games.

TL;DR HawkBlade94 = Blademaster +  Night Hawk + 94

Watched the Movie Black Hawk Down, really liked the Character of Sgt. Eversman. I started playing Swat4 and had to pick a Username. i Tried Eversman but that had too many letters so I shortend it to Evers. Since that day i use Evers in every Game i play

Anavi_Ivy: I am terrible with names and I was bashing my head really a lot to figure out some good name... I had one before this one and it was horrible so I changed it.
So, what I did with this new one? I was sitting in park with couple of friends and we were reading names from backwards(don't ask, I have no idea why), and I just liked how the name sounded from backwards. Later I just added name of favourite plant to make it a bit unique. After this I never used any other name.