The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbra Warframes (Discussion Thread)

How can you claim to know that DE were planning on revealing Umbra to us at all? If we hadn't found him in July, how do you know they wouldn't have just kept quiet?

All they seemed to do since his discovery was give extremely vague snippets of information and purposely shrugging off, or outright ignoring, any big questions.

Well, because I'm not for conspiracy theories usually.

If I have to pick up a theory, I go for the most reasonable one, which in this case is that DE are not that stupid to think China is on another planet, so it would be stupid to release stuff there that are not coming here.

Though, they were probably not prepared to the s**t storm we had in July, which I "claim" because they even had to clarify how things were with Changyou,it clearly caught them unprepared.

All they seemed to do since his discovery was give extremely vague snippets of information and purposely shrugging off, or outright ignoring, any big questions.

It was likely decided to make Umbra a new thing on the fly because a lot of people wanted him. DE didn't want to just give us Excalibur Umbra Prime(Basically Excalibur Prime for Changyou) because some founders wouldn't like him having 'prime' in the name. Any lack of info from extremely detailed or prying questions is due to them simply not having enough to give at that moment.

Most if not all questions i saw weren't 'big' and just players incessantly asking the same things over after getting a reply from it the last time. Them taking the time to create lore for the new variant is a good decision. It expands the universe, minimizes some founder apprehension, and gives a valid reason for everyone to have a Prime-level-enhanced version of the game's posterboy.

It was likely decided to make Umbra a new thing on the fly because a lot of people wanted him. DE didn't want to just give us Excalibur Umbra Prime(Basically Excalibur Prime for Changyou) because some founders wouldn't like him having 'prime' in the name. Any lack of info from extremely detailed or prying questions is due to them simply not having enough to give at that moment.

Most if not all questions i saw weren't 'big' and just players incessantly asking the same things over after getting a reply from it the last time. Them taking the time to create lore for the new variant is a good decision. It expands the universe, minimizes some founder apprehension, and gives a valid reason for everyone to have a Prime-level-enhanced version of the game's posterboy.

Thanks dude, 100% agree!

Ok, so I get that I'm gonna come across as a total hipster about this, but....why are people apparently so excited about Umbra 'frames? (If I were really looking for trouble I'd crack a joke about people being super thirsty for Umbra all of a sudden.)

Main reason I'm really looking forward to Umbra frames is the possibility of Frost Prime getting updated visuals in XYZ years.

Edited by Naith

2 months? Hmmmm....

I stated that I would not play WuKong until I had one play through with Exal Umbra first. The reason for this was that I hoped the Umbra classes would be for the Warframes that did not have an IMMORTAL skin. These being the ones that did not have a Prime version since they were founded by the Lotus during the Orokin War. Sort of like the Black Ops of Warframes.

That will explain the reason the Quest Warframes we're doing things that the other IMMORTAL/Primes did not. They were Black Ops that had specific missions to deal with. To do this, they became Umbra. The only Prime that delves into Umbra status would be Excal as he is the first and is willing to go where no one has gone before.

Anyways, 2 months to wait to get a Umbra quest to get Excal Umbra to then be able to play WuKong.....I can deal with that since I will have Ivara to use.

Thanks DE. Looking forward to see how Umbra comes to the game.

For all this extra time I'll be mad if they release him in some lame, anti-climactic way. Considering I wouldn't mind if they straight up did the same thing as the primes and just did prime access and void part scatter releases. This points to something truly special. I guess all I really request out of this is that hey don't block Excalibur Umbra behind some paywall or put him somewhere stupid with a waiting/rng wall like Nezha (sortie frame has to be the single most universally panned idea on this whole forum it's hilarious really), or behind something where you have to do a severely long, boring, repetitive, ridiculous grind like with Ivara. Also, I don't think anybody likes Nitain... at all. Worst resource introduced to the game. Please don't make him require Nitain to build.

Edited by (XB1)ToothlessApollo

I understood that DE will not give us Ecxalibur Umbra Prime .We can expect only simple Excalibur umbra. So because Prime version only available for China only founder pack.Very disappointing  about the fact that many people think DE will give us Excalibur umbra prime ,but they do not even know simple excalibur umbra coming in the future not a prime umbra excalibur. And sorry my English ^-^

UfZ5dplxHSQ.jpg

Edited by B_R_A_B_U_S-v12

If you understand why DE can't give us Excal Umbra Prime, then why are you complaining about it?

Also Umbra Prime is exclusive to the China founders in the same way that Excal Prime is exclusive to founders on the global build. I believe people asked Steve, what Umbra would look like and according to him, Umbra was "virtually identical" to Umbra Prime, however that might have changed over time.  

1. Umbras are going to be separate from primes A second route. I doubt we will see any Umbra Primes and that is probably good. The last thing we need is more completely identical frames with small stat differences. Three variants is enough.

2. We have been told that Excal Umbra will be identical to the prime version in China. Likely the only difference will be the default colors.

For some reason I though this thread was going to be about giving umbra prime to founder's :| if it was then this thread would instantly cause flame wars and be locked within minutes. But it isn't so we are safe. We are getting umbra but umbra prime will only be exclusive for China. They gotta have something special at least.

If you understand why DE can't give us Excal Umbra Prime, then why are you complaining about it?

Also Umbra Prime is exclusive to the China founders in the same way that Excal Prime is exclusive to founders on the global build. I believe people asked Steve, what Umbra would look like and according to him, Umbra was "virtually identical" to Umbra Prime, however that might have changed over time.

This is accurate and honestly should /thread, before we start with the usual speculations, arguing, confirmations, rumors and such..

Excal Umbra will be virtually identical to Excal Umbra Prime, I believe Steve said the gold trim is still there... its just not a gold colour. Also Expect Umbra's to be similar to primes but on a different route they said they plan Umbra's to be a dark twist on Primes, I personally am also expecting them to be tied to quests (Possibly Cinematic) because DE said they wanted to do something special for them.

Edited by Demonfr34k

Personaly I could "forgive" them if our Umbra loses those Mcdonald elbow thingies.

Excalibur Umbra and Excalibur Umbra Prime are the same exact things as far as DE indicated. For the global build, he will simply go by Excalibur Umbra for simplicity and to lessen founder apprehension.

Expecting Umbra Prime to be something even better would be like expecting a Wraith Vandal variant of a weapon.

Okay, first off, you are VERY late with all this. You're not saying anything that everyone else doesn't already know.

Secondly, regular Excalibur Umbra will still look the same as the Prime version, so nobody cares.

About your second point. It probably "did" look the same as Umbra Prime but it could've changed for all we know.