Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should War be buffed, now that the Galatine Prime is out?

KaizergidorahXi

Alright, hear me out.

War is supposed to be the "end-all" of swords. An original Orokin-Era weapon, infused with the power of (Spoilers) a Sentient. The thing should cleave planets in half with one swing. Instead it is being outclassed by a simple Prime weapon. The Sentients nearly wiped out the Orokin empire, and this is one of the weapons that helped them do that. What I'm trying to say is, that I feel that War should be buffed slightly, to at least be at the same level as the Galatine Prime. Right now, with the same mods on it, Galatine vastly outranks my war, almost by 1,000 damage. And sure, you can mod War to receive crits and stuff to make it better, but it's my opinion that this powerhouse of a weapon shouldn't need 3 formas to be on level with a simple Prime weapon. I mean, look at Dread, one of the Stalker's other weapons. It outclasses every other bow, even if only slightly. And to be honest, which would be more threatening: A Tenno coming at you with a big sword, or a Tenno coming at you with a GIANT LASER SABER? But that's enough from me, what do you guys think?

No, Galatine Prime should be nerfed down to the level of War.  You can't rebalance by always going for more power.

But look on the bright side: these numbers are all "Degrees of absurdity".  Even if the War is less powerful than Galatine Prime, that still leaves it as being so powerful that the difference is kind of moot in normal gameplay. You can only one-shot enemies so hard, and after that point any increased damage is pointless.

1 hour ago, Momaw said:

No, Galatine Prime should be nerfed down to the level of War.  You can't rebalance by always going for more power.

But look on the bright side: these numbers are all "Degrees of absurdity".  Even if the War is less powerful than Galatine Prime, that still leaves it as being so powerful that the difference is kind of moot in normal gameplay. You can only one-shot enemies so hard, and after that point any increased damage is pointless.

Yes if you consider "normal gameplay" mercury levels of difficulty.

MR 13 vs MR 10 

It makes no damn sense for the Galatine prime to be nerfed or for the War to be buffed.

Galatine P's status as a Prime and a higher mastery rank lock should already make it clear to you that it should be stronger than the War.

And if prime vaulting continues, it will be a rare discontinued weapon in the future vs the War always being available in the foreseeable future from Stalker drop or Hunhow's pack.

Edited by Dragazer

7 hours ago, Misgenesis said:

Really.

The damage difference between them is negligible. Both are overkill, Galatine just a tiny bit more.

I certainly wouldn't argue with them both being overkill ;), but the Galatine P is somewhat more than a tiny dps increase. It's around a ~28.5-28.6ish percent increase in dps over the War if I remember right.

In comparison, War was a tiny dps increase over Scindo P. Even before you start looking at the value of slash vs impact, it was still only a ~2% paper dps improvement. Yes it did have more damage, but it gave up most of that in its' loss of attack speed. In practice, the main thing War had over the Scindo was better reach. 

10 hours ago, Airwolfen said:

This is dakra prime & broken war all over again, but the other way around xD

In a sense yes, though in that case Dakra P was already quite a ways behind the curve and Broken War was just bringing single swords back up to par. Then Blood Rush came out and they fell a bit behind again (though Primed Fury has helped them some since then).

In War's case the only weapon* you could make a really strong case for it having fallen behind was the post buff Dark Split Sword. Dunking Machine's combo power factors only touch on the damage of the combos themselves, but dual swords have a very powerful ground finisher with an innate bleed and Winding Claws ends with a knock down. So they tend to be a bit higher in damage output than they show up as on the charts (at least for enemies that can be knocked down and have ground finishers performed on them). On top of that, base radiation has a lot of advantages over base impact when dealing with armoured targets. And dual swords just rack up the combo meter much faster than heavy blades in most cases as well.

You could also argue the Fragor P at low combo multipliers or say that it has Tempo Royale like CC with somewhat Cleaving Whirlwind like damage output at more reasonable combo multipliers (I used 4x because that's what DM did, and it made it easy to cheat on the weapons he had already done by just scaling his numbers for Prime Pressure Point, but in practice you're only really likely to see that in key relic farms now post SotR).

I suppose in the end the Galatine and DSS are probably a preview of where the syndicate melees will be aiming powerwise. So this is just the way things are going to go I guess. *shrug*

* It is more complicated than saying War or even Galatine P are simply the best weapon(s) of course, since there are other weapons that are better at doing specific things. But, at least in the Galatine P's case, with the tripple threat of high dps, reach, and a good combination of slash damage and status, there aren't many arenas where it isn't at least highly competitive.

Edited by Aglethe

they are equal  galatine p has more base damage but its all slash wich is shaven by 75%   against grineer armor  and isnt effective against  shields  , whereas war is impact wich only has 2 enemies resistant to it with only 25% resistance   while having 25% shield damage bonus and 50% bubble shield bonus (or the other way around) 

6 hours ago, Aglethe said:

I certainly wouldn't argue with them both being overkill ;), but the Galatine P is somewhat more than a tiny dps increase. It's around a ~28.5-28.6ish percent increase in dps over the War if I remember right.

In comparison, War was a tiny dps increase over Scindo P. Even before you start looking at the value of slash vs impact, it was still only a ~2% paper dps improvement. Yes it did have more damage, but it gave up most of that in its' loss of attack speed. In practice, the main thing War had over the Scindo was better reach.

Oh cool. A nice DPS chart. Thanks for the info! :3

Oh, and Dark Split Sword is good. Which is technically a heavy blade (my holsters keep telling me so). I wonder what the quick melee numbers look like.

1 hour ago, Retepzednem said:

they are equal  galatine p has more base damage but its all slash wich is shaven by 75%   against grineer armor  and isnt effective against  shields  , whereas war is impact wich only has 2 enemies resistant to it with only 25% resistance   while having 25% shield damage bonus and 50% bubble shield bonus (or the other way around) 

Slash doesn't care about armor, as it deals finisher damage when it procs. The only units which ignore slash damage procs are enemies without HP, i.e. Machinery.

46 minutes ago, Nox_Terminus said:

Slash doesn't care about armor, as it deals finisher damage when it procs. The only units which ignore slash damage procs are enemies without HP, i.e. Machinery.

Slash  is the most affected damage type by Armor   

Slash Proc's Bleeding  does not because it deals Finisher damage   and as far as everyone's been discussing no one is building the damn thing for status  in the first place 

Finisher damage is Unasociated damage thus it has no resistances , feel that i have to explain that because someone will think finisher dmage=  DoT  that deals  Execution attack's damage per second

two diferent things

also Bleeding does not scale off of Slash damage but rather base damage  and crit

so to max out bleeding damage you'd need Primed pressure point,Spoiled Strike, organ Shatter 

that's 3 mod slots gone to max bleeding damage  wich will Severely cripple elemental combos

Edited by Retepzednem

2 hours ago, Retepzednem said:

they are equal  galatine p has more base damage but its all slash wich is shaven by 75%   against grineer armor

-15% ferrite and -50% alloy. No 75% there. Impact does more damage against shield which is negligible and less damage against flesh whereas slash does neutral dmg against shields and more against flesh whereas corpus techs are the most durable and have more flesh than shield. Also, slash procs ignore shields completely. What does impact do? Nothing from use. And you actually use your 20% status and high slash advantage against armored enemies. Then there is the slower speed from war. War doesn't hold a candle against galatine prime. Impact is also the weakest damage type which unlike slash, has a useless proc.