Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Snipers: The True Fix

(PSN)LoisGordils

Let's cut down to the point. The changes are simple:

1. Increase critical chance of snipers. Snipers are a one shot, one kill weapon. So making them THE crit monsters seems fitting. Maybe a 30% crit chance? 35%?

2. Snipers deal increased headshot damage

3. And the most important one: Snipers do not scope in automatically when aiming. Rather, snipers behave like anyother weapon in regards to aiming. However, pressing the alt-fire button on a sniper causes it to scope in. Letting go of the aim button would scope out (zooming stays the same). Being forced to scope in everytime you aim the gun (which reduces visibility) is something detrimental in a game like Warframe. People don't really use snipers much because of how impractical being constantly scoped in really is. Giving us the option to choose between regular aiming or alt-firing to zoom/scope in would greatly increase the viability of snipers for all sorts of scenarios. 

Edited by (PS4)LoisGordils

1 and 2- hell yea, support coming from me.

3- im on the fence about this on. we already hit the alt fire to change zoom levels and adding another zoom level (non-scoped > first zoom) would take just as much time as shouldering the sniper.

one thing to add-Innate 1.5m punchthrough and snipers would be golden, even if this was the only thing added.

Great ideas!  It would make sniping fit better in the game!

I've always wondered if a crouching mechanic similar to Minecraft would make a difference or not.  Whilst crouching, you can't fall of off edges, making it easier perch on a platform and snipe.  Sure, the wall latch could be used instead, but you can't really move those couple more centimeters to get better sights on your targets.   

Edited by (XB1)GeckoGenesis

I keep seeing people request innate punch through on snipers, but I was thinking what if instead of punch through we gave snipers the unique ability to bypass energy Shields like the nullifier bubble or a Frost Eximus shield? That would give them a very specific, very useful role to fulfill.

I like your ideas, especially the last one involving the scope however; I don't know how [DE] would make that work with the current system and how different scope levels have different benefits.

But I definitely agree that the scope interferes with spacial awareness and scopes are really bad during aim-gliding.

35 minutes ago, (PS4)Elctrcstel said:

1 and 2- hell yea, support coming from me.

3- im on the fence about this on. we already hit the alt fire to change zoom levels and adding another zoom level (non-scoped > first zoom) would take just as much time as shouldering the sniper.

one thing to add-Innate 1.5m punchthrough and snipers would be golden, even if this was the only thing added.

Ah yes, I had forgotten about different zoom levels. Gonna edit the post to make it cohere better

Edited by (PS4)LoisGordils

Just now, BBYipho said:

Like what I see. Also like suggested innate punch through would really increase Sniping effectiveness drastically. I really don't see why bows can punch through better then a bullet.

Or how the Opticor, a friggin laser cannon that deals 85% of its damage as Puncture, does nothave punch through :'c

1 hour ago, (PS4)Elctrcstel said:

that idea has been thrown out a lot as an addition to the innate PT

Eh, everything has PT with mods. I'd actually go so far as to say don't let snipers have PT even with a mod, focus on 1 shot = 1 kill, but you can bypass the non-physical obstacles so you don't waste shots trying to take them down. Emphasize target priority over kill rate for snipers to ensure they have a different, but useful role.

I've made this argument in the past, and I'll make it again: Innate punch-through would sync better with the mechanics of the game.

WF isn't a game where you can sit still for long; one shot one kill doesn't really cut it with how slowly snipers fire vs how many enemies are coming at you at any given point. That's just the case with horde-mode games.

We need some form of multi-enemy damage for crowds/clusters of enemies, and PC would do that.

Also, I like the concept of unscoped mode; it's one of the improvements I listed in the sniper QOL thread I started a couple days ago:

Though my idea worked somewhat differently:

I feel that It would be implemented better as just an additional zoom level to the ones we already cycle through on the snipers that would return you to the default aiming reticule found on any other gun in the game.

Edited by Jackviator
words

4 hours ago, helghastgunner said:

Great ideas, so to add to it.. 

Any one here played mass effect and knows the operative skill? I'd suggest a small slow down(max 5seconds?) when scoped in.

While I enjoyed it in its own game, that seems a BIT (a lot) less friendly of an unlimited mechanic to put into a multiplayer game

I wouldn't mind if the changes you suggested would occur but I personally would like it more if Snipers simply had a stupid amount of damage like the Opticor and no crits at all but they would get a significant headshot damage bonus. Other than that I'm fine with all your suggestions.

• 3 weeks later...

While there are many QoL changes here, the biggest problem with the snipers is not all those annoying mechanics, it is the fact that everything around this game is about hordes and hordes, no matter how much QoL like these you get you can't deal with all the enemies as fast as most weapons, so my fix along with these good QoL changes would be to create a game mode where you have to change camping sites and then giving targets and time to kill them over other enemies present in the same area