The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How would you redisign underused abilities?

Separius

Lots of frames have underused abilities, compared to their other ones.

Pick a frame you feel that has underused abilities and post how you would redisign said ability.

For me, Ember's fireball. The augment is nice, but I'd like if ember had some mobility, so why not make that upon using her 1st ability she jumps a little and turns into a living burning cannonball that tackles and burns enemies and buffs allies (if the augment is equipped)!

Brainstorm up some ideas!

I imagine Fireball would be used a bit more if a slight change to the fire proc was made. No need to change the ability, just have anything standing close enough to something that's already on fire have a chance of catching on fire too. And make enemies on fire actually panic and not fight back... They're on freaking fire! I have never known anybody to just stop and go back to work while they were on fire getting burned.

Fireball's a good staple ability, but it suffers from being a damage only ability with no utility because of fire procs not being very effective and short-lived. In this particular case, I don't that it's the ability that's lackluster, but the proc it induces.

3 minutes ago, FLSH_BNG said:

I imagine Fireball would be used a bit more if a slight change to the fire proc was made. No need to change the ability, just have anything standing close enough to something that's already on fire have a chance of catching on fire too. And make enemies on fire actually panic and not fight back... They're on freaking fire! I have never known anybody to just stop and go back to work while they were on fire getting burned.

Fireball's a good staple ability, but it suffers from being a damage only ability with no utility because of fire procs not being very effective and short-lived. In this particular case, I don't that it's the ability that's lackluster, but the proc it induces.

Ok but it'd still be fun if Ember could turn into a living burning cannonball!

1 minute ago, PrVonTuckIII said:

Limbo's Banish needs to have some method of AoE attack.

Rift Surge could be replaced entirely.

Ice Wave needs more utility, and a better animation.

Well of Life needs to be replaced/changed to be more effective.

Keep them coming, people!

Just now, Separius said:

Ok but it'd still be fun if Ember could turn into a living burning cannonball!

But it would be out of her theme, be difficult to animate, clunky to use, and 'mobility' isn't what Ember is build for. She's built to deal lots and lots of damage. That's it.

4 minutes ago, PrVonTuckIII said:

But it would be out of her theme

A burning cannonball. Out of a fire based frame's theme. Right.

4 minutes ago, PrVonTuckIII said:

be difficult to animate

Nah. Ember jumping a little, pulling her legs up, getting in a vertical position, straightening her legs and her holding arms against her body is not difficult to animate. Really.

7 minutes ago, PrVonTuckIII said:

clunky to use

Fun to use you mean.

10 minutes ago, PrVonTuckIII said:

and 'mobility' isn't what Ember is build for.

Rhino isn't built for mobility either, yet Rhino charge exists.

11 minutes ago, PrVonTuckIII said:

She's built to deal lots and lots of damage.

So is Ash, yet he has plenty mobility with run speed, teleport and bladestorm to a degree.

14 minutes ago, PrVonTuckIII said:

But it would be out of her theme, be difficult to animate, clunky to use, and 'mobility' isn't what Ember is build for. She's built to deal lots and lots of damage. That's it.

Not just "lots and lots of damage"... Ember/Prime is meant to set things on FIRE! Lots of fire... so much fire that stars are jealous of the sheer amount of fire Ember/Prime causes.

But, yeah... giant burning cannonballs aren't Embers' thing. Unless she's throwing them, anyways.

Definitely change Trinity's first power. People so rarely use it because everyone yells when you take an enemy they want to zerg through and give it 10x their health. Maybe she could just take a page from Amesha and drop a beacon that attracts enemy attention and heals allies in the area based on damage received. Or even just gives allies a moderate health regeneration buff that persists a certain amount of time when they pass through the beacon area.

Change Zephyr (gestures to all of her).

all of the basic abilities should be allowed to combo into stuff or allow other frames to combo off of them to create interesting team setups where a frame would have otherwise been forgotten about. 

I actually talked to my friend about this idea. I love it!

All of the basic abilities should be able to set up an interaction for allies in one way or another (similar to priming and detonating from Mass Effect). If Ember sets them on fire with her first ability, a different element can cause a minor proc reaction by combining them, like Frost would make ember's burned enemies get a blast proc, or Saryn's would cause a gas proc on the burned enemy. Something along those lines.

Edited by (PS4)Riko_113

Chroma's Spectral Scream. I would just allow it to act as a weapon for Vex Armor and Shooting Gallery buff while also removing the animation lock. As for the augment, change it to allow Chroma to leave elemental "puddles" where he aims for a short duration that apply procs.

Frost's Freeze augments

Spoiler Alert: I am specifically making these the way I do, just to make you think if its really worth it to have them at max rank, or in other words Corrupted Augment mods...That idea sounds better then I thought it would, but I don't have the time to make a thread about it because of school :(

Biting Cold - Freeze turns into a shotgun blast that shoots out 8 shots of Freeze (the damage is spread equally across all of them) at a slighly higher energy cost of 10 (making the default cost 35). All shots act like a normal Freeze, but if a target is hit by at least 6 of them at a range of 5m or lower then it will die instantly (heavy untis will only be dropped to 50% health unleass hit by all 8 shots, dropping them to 25%). Ranking this mod up will decrease the spread of the shots (up to Tigris spread at max rank), but will also decrease the distance for a kill shot (up to 2m at max rank, this also affects the health drop for heavies) PS: You will need at least 2 shots on target to turn them into an ice statue.

Impaling Icicle - Freeze earns increased travel speed and more damage (let DE deal with the numbers on this one), turning it into a sniper. Ranking this mod up will give it punch through (based on rank: 1m > 2m > 3m) and icrease the damage done by %. Once the punch through of Freeze ends, the icicle shatters into pieces doing slash damage to the enamies behind whatever it went through. It will also no longer leave a trail if it hits ground like the normal Freeze and no longer cold proc enamies.

Raining Hail - Freeze turns into a toggle ability taking the form of machine-gun fire with slightly less damage, but high rate of fire (no spool up time, also bare with me). Each shot will be slightly smaller then the normal Freeze, thus it will no longer leave cold trails behind or turn enamies into ice statues (put down the pitchforks), but will still retain it's cold proc...only on headshots (Brain Freeze!). Ranking this mod up will increase rate of fire and energy efficiency. (and I gave no distavantage to this one because we all know that it's gona be the most unpopular out of all my suggestions and would preaty much make it non-viable)

Edited by AlphaPHENIX

2 hours ago, Separius said:

A burning cannonball. Out of a fire based frame's theme. Right.

She's a caster. Not an anime character.

Fun to use you mean.

Subjective.

Rhino isn't built for mobility either, yet Rhino charge exists.

So is Ash, yet he has plenty mobility with run speed, teleport and bladestorm to a degree.

Rhino is a juggernaut. The charge isn't really a spectacular mobility ability. It's meant to get people out of his way, not carry him across the map. Like wise, Ash's teleportation abilities are so he can close the gap between enemies and attack them faster, not to travel fast.

12 hours ago, PrVonTuckIII said:

She's a caster.

Yes a close range one.

Not an anime character.

There are no female casters in anime? I really doubt that the two are mutually exclusive.

Furthermore, western cartoons have  cannonball like tackling characters with low bodyfat too; http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Samuel_Guthrie_(Earth-616), but I don't see how cartoons having or not having casters is relevant or an argument...

Subjective.

You are S#&$ting on my fun idea because of you disliking it is a subjective opinion as well, so that's not an argument either.

Rhino is a juggernaut. The charge isn't really a spectacular mobility ability. It's meant to get people out of his way, not carry him across the map. Like wise, Ash's teleportation abilities are so he can close the gap between enemies and attack them faster, not to travel fast.

"Getting from point A to point B does not count as mobility, gap closing does not count as mobility xDD"

Ok.

close the gap between enemies and attack them faster

Yeah that's exactly what I'd have my suggested ability change do. Or are you saying that she wouldn't greatly benefit from being able to plummet into a large group of enemies after casting accelerant, and then Fire Blasting them into crisp?

I had a similar idea but went with the idea of new Augment

So for Embers Fireball

Augment 2 Augment 3
Fireball Blast Fireball continuum
Warframe Augment Mod for Ember that incorporates a knockdown within blast radius Warframe Augment Mod for Ember that continues the blast fires burning for 3/5/7 seconds

Volts Shock

Augment 2 Augment 3
Teslacoil Overload
Warframe Augment Mod for Volt that turn the enemy into a teslacoil, damage is 10% of enemy health per second, duration 3/5/7 seconds area effect 3/5/7 meters Warframe Augment Mod for volt that when cast on an object will charge for 3 seconds and the blow up dealing damage in a area effect 3/5/7 meters, stunning enemies for 1/3/5 seconds

Nyx Psychic Bolts

Augment 2

Warframe Augment Mod for Nyx enemy switches to melee and will attack the closes enemy dealing 100%/200%/300% normal damage

Frost Freeze

Augment 2 Augment 3
Ice Jam Burnout
Warframe Augment Mod for Frost that Freezes guns inside the area effect for the duration only Warframe Augment Mod for Frost that make the target have a area effect of frost around them, slowing all enemy units that enter 3/5/7 meters

Numbers are just idea's, but the real point was to make the powers a little bit useful in different ways

19 hours ago, Separius said:

Lots of frames have underused abilities, compared to their other ones.

Pick a frame you feel that has underused abilities and post how you would redisign said ability.

Ash's Shuriken:

Coop: Ash throws a single shuriken in a straight line that deals around the same damage it now deals and inflicts a bleed proc. Damage scales with Melee combo counter. Has 1.5m Punch Trough.

Seeking Shuriken (augment): Shuriken seeks targets (essentially it restores the auto-track) and strip them of their armor.

Conclave: Same, but only 30 points of damage and a regular Bleed.

Crippling Shuriken (Conclave Augment): Shuriken no longer applies a Bleed, but now reduces target's mobility by 0.5 for 2s. Increases cost of Shuriken by 5.

Edited by Nazrethim

Some of them are underused, because a lot of abilities are OP. We both need to update and nerf things.

I would merge some abilities (Limbo's 1/2, Zephyr's 1/2) I would make almost any 1 combo based. So if you spam fireball with Ember, you'll have a pretty cool 4 hit combo (something like "she throws 1 ball, 2 balls, a little burst and finally a bigger ball)

I would change the order of some sets (Mirage should be 2,3,4,1) and create a lot of synergy between spells (Ash should mark with shurikens, to make them usefull in the kit) (the whole Nyx's set could work the same, any ennemy under psychic bolt will be targetable for Chaos. And they need to revert Absorb, imo it should have a damage cap, based on your power strenght.)

Any spell like Maim, SQ or WoF should do % based damages, so you won't kill with those, just continuous debuff.

More combos for Exalted Weapons, more logical passives (wtf is Mesa's passive, let her bring 2 principal and no melee instead)

Elemental frames with at leat 25% inate elemental resistance

etc etc

Edited by Xgomme

Excalibur's Radial Javalin Augment

Gates of Babylon - Radial Javalin turns into a toggle with reduced casting cost to 25 and energy drain of 1.5 every second, each hit costs 5 energy. The combo counter and multiplier will be affected, and affect this ability respectively, each increase in the multiplier will slightly increase the energy drain per second (nothing too ridiculous just trying to keep things balanced). Instead of just some boring old skanas pretending to be javalins, the type of weapon this ability shoots will depend on the weapon type of your melee weapon:

• Single-handed Swords: The default Skana we have gotten used to over the years. Same old ability only now, it's a toggle.
  • Greatswords: Fires off Grams (Yes, Grams, not Galatines) at targets doing the most raw damage out of all the options.
  • Dual Swords: Highest Rate of Fire out of all the options.
  • Nikanas: Slightly more damage then the Skana and is guranteed to do slash procs.
  • Rapiers: Highest Crit Chance (Rapiers=50% Greatswords=30% Everything else=20%).
  • Machetes: Highest Status Chance, effected by whatever status mods you have on your melee. If two statuses are present, it will do both.
  • Glaives: Unique feature of ricochet shots, each Glaive will ricochet up to 2 times. Keep in mind the ricochet hits will still drain energy, unless terrain was hit instead of an enamy. Best make sure to have EV Trinity in the squad for this one.
  • Blade and Whip: Both the Blade and Whip go after individual targets and anything caught between them will be staggered or knockdowned. Slowest Rate of Fire.
  • If not one of the above: Still the default Skana.

Ranking this mod up will unlock new categories:

Rank 0 - Swords and Greatswords

Rank 1 - Dual Swords and Nikanas

Rank 2 - Rapiers and Machetes

Rank 3 - Glaives and Blade and Whip

Mesa : Ballistic Battery

Incoming damage cumulatively increases a group damage multiplier from 1 to X. The buff constantly decays by Y per second back to 1. Toggle & Drain ability.

Augment :

Incoming damage cumulatively increases the batteries charge. Activating the ability will heal heath and shields in a small pbaoe burst which resets the charge to 0%. Automatically charges, activate to use.