Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Soma Prime

silvershadow0099

Question

My current build for soma is with out red crit cause I use it in conjunction with Titania.
My main dilemma is whether to go with heavy caliber or point strike..... or  crit. delay and heavy caliber?

the damage of Soma PRIME is really not that much:

Soma Prime, compared to the Soma:

• Slightly higher base damage (12.0 vs. 10.0)

idk why for a PRIME it has such stats but regardless...

current build :

serr./malg. force/rime rounds/thermite rounds/high voltage/hammer shot/point strike/crit. delay

25 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, Imaru said:

You're going to do a lot more damage over time with Point Strike than with Critical Delay, as Point Strike gives you over 100% more chance to crit at max rank than Critical Delay does and it doesn't decrease fire rate.

with all crit mods in place i get 90% crit chance.
if crit. delay is not equipped , 75 %

1 minute ago, ashrah said:

serrstion.split chamber.point strike.vital sense.heavy calibar max shred.2 element 90%...some ppl like to use argon scope.bladed rounds but i think soma need that extra base dmg  amp from heavy calibar..

not using argone scope cause it does not work with titanias ulti..... that is what i am basing this all on.

31 minutes ago, silvershadow0099 said:

with all crit mods in place i get 90% crit chance.
if crit. delay is not equipped , 75 %

75% Crit chance is enough for a weapon like the Soma Prime, you also don't need hammer shot

Also, for a Prime ,it spools up at max fire rate after 5 shots compared to 8 on the regular Soma. Plus the magazine size with reserved ammo increase.

Serration

2 elemental damage types (Ex: To make Corrosive or something else depending on the enemy you're facing)

Split Chamber

Point Strike

Vital Sense

Heavy Calibur R6 or R7

Shred

Edited by Kai_Shiba

14 minutes ago, silvershadow0099 said:

My current build for soma is with out red crit cause I use it in conjunction with Titania.
My main dilemma is whether to go with heavy caliber or point strike..... or  crit. delay and heavy caliber?

the damage of Soma PRIME is really not that much:

Soma Prime, compared to the Soma:

• Slightly higher base damage (12.0 vs. 10.0)

idk why for a PRIME it has such stats but regardless...

current build :

serr./malg. force/rime rounds/thermite rounds/high voltage/hammer shot/point strike/crit. delay

Not that much?

Don't need a big diffrence if the weapon is already OP, SomaP is OP.

My build is (all mods maxed):

-Serration

-Sawtooth Clip

-Vile Acceleration

-Vital Sense

-Split Chamber

-Bladed Rounds

-Argon Scope

-Point Strike

My Soma Prime runs: Point Strike, Vital Sense, Serration, Heavy Caliber, Wildfire, Thermite Rounds, Hellfire, Split Chamber.  All maxed but Heavy Cal, since 18 accuracy sucks, I dont want it any lower.

I have been swapping the fire damage around for radiation and stuff, vs mobs.  I love my Soma Prime.  It is my go to weapon when I do anything even remotely serious.  it packs a wallop, 75% crit chance with a 6.6x crit multiplier.  It hits like a train.

To the OP, the Soma Prime is one of those deceptively powerful guns.  Its a weapon that starts off weak, but ends up very powerful when you mod it right.  Its 12 base damage relies on the crit chance, crit mult and pure damage mods to boost it up.  That 12, just with Vital sense becomes 79.2 after the 6.6x mult.   Once you boost it up, where mine sits now its like 8/35/30/175, but when it gets to critting, it hits for 2-4k a pop.  Suited for w/e the weakness is of the enemy, it can basically 1 shot stuff, or mow through alot of targets with ease.  

Ofc, if DE wanted to, they could add the Prisma Soma Prime lol.  12 to 14 damage, 3x up to 3.2x crit mult, 30 to 35% crit chance.  Just a serious of minor buffs that would result in an even more vicious gun. 

Edited by KnightCole

With Soma and Soma Prime just a Point Strike is usually enough because with 75% Crit and considering the use of Split Chamber, you're already Critting practically every shot, to the point that when you don't land one, it's of little importance. While on paper they're deceptively weak, you also have to count in the crit multiplier which is pretty high, making Vital Sense well worth a slot in the build (why isn't your build using it?). You may also want to consider shred and/or a heavy calibur to hit more targets/do more damage respectively as other have said (try not to have heavy calibur too high ranked though because that can interfere with accuracy (landing a crit headshot hurts...A LOT)

It's 20% more powerful just in base damage. Then there's the crit damage multiplier. It is significantly more powerful than the Soma.

It's a crit weapon; you build for crit. It also benefits greatly from RoF mods, since it has a high base RoF (duh) and relatively low damage per shot.

Use of HC is arguable, but it can increase dps significantly. The added dispersion is noticeable, but just basic aiming error surpasses the larger dispersion cone. You fire in bursts; you land hits in bursts. It evens out. Also, don't bother unless HC is at least 8/10. You'd be better off with 90% mods otherwise.

Is it good for Titinia? Sure. Is it the best option. Well, maybe not. As pointed out, Dex Pixia has both high crit and status chances and it benefits from primary mods. The SomaP (and Soma) have relatively low status. Personally, I run a crit modded VHek with 60/60 elementals. You have high crit, high status, and--most importantly--very high multishot. It runs a bit slowly, but hits very hard (more accurately, hits a lot) and is less likely to go into ammo cooldown when you go cyclic.

30 minutes ago, Sloan441 said:

It's 20% more powerful just in base damage. Then there's the crit damage multiplier. It is significantly more powerful than the Soma.

It's a crit weapon; you build for crit. It also benefits greatly from RoF mods, since it has a high base RoF (duh) and relatively low damage per shot.

Use of HC is arguable, but it can increase dps significantly. The added dispersion is noticeable, but just basic aiming error surpasses the larger dispersion cone. You fire in bursts; you land hits in bursts. It evens out. Also, don't bother unless HC is at least 8/10. You'd be better off with 90% mods otherwise.

Is it good for Titinia? Sure. Is it the best option. Well, maybe not. As pointed out, Dex Pixia has both high crit and status chances and it benefits from primary mods. The SomaP (and Soma) have relatively low status. Personally, I run a crit modded VHek with 60/60 elementals. You have high crit, high status, and--most importantly--very high multishot. It runs a bit slowly, but hits very hard (more accurately, hits a lot) and is less likely to go into ammo cooldown when you go cyclic.

it has 15 % cirt chance.....
so that is why i wanted to equip crit. delay.
im building for status / damage and some what crit

Crit delay...people insist on using this when in most situations it simply sucks. If the gun relies heavily on RoF for dps then equipping a mod that significantly lowers RoF will negatively impact dps despite the increased crit chance.

The arguable exceptions are weapons that do not rely on RoF to do the bulk of their damage (Tigress, many snipers). There it can be used with some effectiveness.

However, on the Soma family it's a bad idea. Dex Pixia...here I'm not so sure. You really don't want to bottom out your ammo recharge, but they do have relatively high fire rate and you need enemies dying before ammo goes into cooldown. I'd be very loathe to use the mod, but you can try with the Tigress Prime, which breaks a lot of rules of thumb in weapon modding through sheer bloody-minded base damage. Also, outrageous status chance if you're using 60/60 mods.

1 hour ago, Sloan441 said:

I got convinced awhile ago that just straight up damage is best on the Soma to take full advantage of its high crit+crit mult.  Better ammo efficiency over just spamming low dmg bullets.

21 minutes ago, KnightCole said:

I got convinced awhile ago that just straight up damage is best on the Soma to take full advantage of its high crit+crit mult.  Better ammo efficiency over just spamming low dmg bullets.

The problem with that is that going pure damage on the Soma is actually awful because it scales off of the base value. You NEED crit on the Soma, as that's what makes it so good.

My Build for the Soma Prime is Serration, Bladed Rounds/Heavy Cal, Split Chamber, Point Strike, Vital Sense, Shred/maybe argon scope?, 2 90% elemental. It gives it a ton of damage even though it is pretty bullet hosey, so long as you get the ammo drops and fire in bursts you should be fine Ammo wise.

I've found that a maxed Bladed Rounds is more or less equal or better in paper DPS to the 8/10 Heavy Caliber I was using, when it comes to crit weapons. You have the trade off of the kill timer mechanic, but you gain a crap load of accuracy back.

Factor in the (now, without HC) easier head shot criticals, something you definitely want to go for with the Soma, and I think Bladed Rounds is the clear winner.

The only time Bladed may be an issue is against sortie bosses, but many/most of them have trash mobs roaming around to help keep the kill counter going.

I still don't have Argon Scope, but I can't see any situation that it would be worth the slot to me.

Another noteworthy thing on the Soma is that a third 90% element seems to add the same DPS as Shred in my experience. So it is your decision for ammo economy against a single target VS having punch through.

6 minutes ago, Dizzle22 said:

The only time Bladed may be an issue is against sortie bosses, but many/most of them have trash mobs roaming around to help keep the kill counter going.

I still don't have Argon Scope, but I can't see any situation that it would be worth the slot to me.

This is a good scenario for Argon Scope, for bosses that can be headshot. I use it on mine always because I prefer more consistent crits to larger crits. 

Currently got it like this:

Serration, Split Chamber, Heavy Caliber (R5, +90% Damage, -30% Accuracy), Point Strike, Vital Sense, and 3x 90% Elemental.

Point of Note: I don´t have Bladed Rounds, otherwise it´d definetly be in, either instead of Heavy Caliber or an Elemental mod, I´d have to test that.

4 hours ago, NyxCrab said:

The problem with that is that going pure damage on the Soma is actually awful because it scales off of the base value. You NEED crit on the Soma, as that's what makes it so good.

My Build for the Soma Prime is Serration, Bladed Rounds/Heavy Cal, Split Chamber, Point Strike, Vital Sense, Shred/maybe argon scope?, 2 90% elemental. It gives it a ton of damage even though it is pretty bullet hosey, so long as you get the ammo drops and fire in bursts you should be fine Ammo wise.

I use Vital sense+Point Strike as well.  The rest of my mods are damage based. 

I avoid heavy Caliber on my Soma as the near non-existent recoil suits it more to longer ranges than most automatics, and thus I find impeding it's accuracy more detrimental than beneficial. I just run Serration, Split chamber, 2 60/60 mods and the full Crit complement of Bladed Rounds, Argon Scope, Point Strike and Vital Sense. I find that by directing accurate bursts to the head of the enemy, I can get sufficient damage without the need for Heavy Caliber.

interesting as to why an accuracy-reducing mod has that name, when in reality Caliber itself has nothing to do with accuracy, it's more a question of things like Barrel Length and Rifling Twist.

I use Heavy Caliber only on Tonkor as it doesn't need precision at all. Otherwise I prefer landing precise headshots to deal more damage, I have much fun doing it.

My SomaP build:

Serration

Point Strike

Vital Sense

Split Chamber

90% element

another 90% element

60/60 element (I don't have Argon Scope)

Bladed Rounds

Edited by Marvelous_A

3 hours ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

interesting as to why an accuracy-reducing mod has that name, when in reality Caliber itself has nothing to do with accuracy, it's more a question of things like Barrel Length and Rifling Twist.

Bringing actual ballistics into a game discussion is problematic, particularly in this case.

Larger calibers are easier to make more accurate. Barrel length in and of itself has nothing to do with accuracy, but longer sight radius does (assuming iron sights) and shorter barrels are stiffer with promotes consistency. Twist is only about stability--a bullet is either stable or it is not. If not, then accuracy will suffer. However, bullet length and velocity will determine what is necessary in rifling twist.

What's this have to do with Warframe? Not a thing, which is why bringing it up is problematic.