Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Have Negative Stats in Riven Mod When It's Supposed to Buff Bad Weapons?

ssh83

Isn't it counter-productive to have -100% damage on a Gorgon Riven mod?  That doesn't make me want to use Gorgon.  It makes me feel like bait and switch.

I'd understand if it gave +reload and +status to encourage me to try different builds, but straight up -100% damage on an already weak gun is pure insult.

We need better controlled RNG in this game.  Wild RNG without safety net just keeps antagonizing people.  

15 minutes ago, ssh83 said:

Isn't it counter-productive to have -100% damage on a Gorgon Riven mod?  That doesn't make me want to use Gorgon.  It makes me feel like bait and switch.

I'd understand if it gave +reload and +status to encourage me to try different builds, but straight up -100% damage on an already weak gun is pure insult.

We need better controlled RNG in this game.  Wild RNG without safety net just keeps antagonizing people.  

Oh LOL, I hope the coming changes to Riven mods solve this.

7 minutes ago, rapt0rman said:

56G4IA4H.jpgpew pew pew pew

I'm sorry but if I got that I would seriously report this as a bug. That -135.2% (what a random number) is just plain dumb. You would shoot Braton and heal your enemy if it stricly followed the laws of mathematics. 

That is a fail in implementation of a mechanic that could of been awesome.

Just now, (PS4)DBR87 said:

I'm sorry but if I got that I would seriously report this as a bug. That -135.2% (what a random number) is just plain dumb. You would shoot Braton and heal your enemy if it stricly followed the laws of mathematics. 

That is a fail in implementation of a mechanic that could of been awesome.

It is in fact an enemy healing braton, I'm having loads of fun with it.

Just now, rapt0rman said:

It is in fact an enemy healing braton, I'm having loads of fun with it.

Dude are you serious!? I would at the least thought they would of programmed in a limit to the negative damage so you wouldn't be HEALING your target you're shooting at...

It's times like these I am glad PC beta test everything before it hits console. I seriously hope you're joking.

5 minutes ago, (PS4)DBR87 said:

Dude are you serious!? I would at the least thought they would of programmed in a limit to the negative damage so you wouldn't be HEALING your target you're shooting at...

It's times like these I am glad PC beta test everything before it hits console. I seriously hope you're joking.

I'd be having fun with it as well. It's so blatantly broken it's funny.

Also, the Dev bashing here is so real...

Even if a mod turns out to be great for a low tier weapon, it will catch up to higher tiers, which leaves the question what could be if we invest for a high tier riven mod in the first place. So a riven mod can buff a low tier weapon with an isolated view but not in comparison to weapons which makes a low tier weapon a low tier weapon.

That is not how you buff lower tiers if we are strictly talking about tiers oO 

With the current situation of grabbing bad apples there is less reason to bother with lower tiers unless you want to be that clown rerolling sh&§ mods for sh§%& weapons just to be a clown. Some might do. 

i am very guilty with pushing "decent" weapons via Forma in the past, alot of us enjoy it I think. And for a short moment I was really looking forward to it, negotiating for Buzlok, Gorgon, Tiberon mods etc.

There is no way I am going through this with the system as it stands, neither me playing or paying/buying a single plat on this (riven) from now on.

Edited by AcceptYourDeath

OK, sadly after further testing, my healing braton doesn't actually heal

raWVLEU.jpg

made a critical healing build (lol) and while it did pump up the negative damage numbers I was throwing, the enemies health never rose, also I was still dealing IPS status procs and slash procs were dealing a positive 1 damage per tick.

Also lol, vile acceleration for that extra -15 damage

Edited by rapt0rman

So far from what I've seen the mods with a negative stat also have higher positive stats.

This could be linked in some way so there's an available "pool" of numbers and the negative allows the overall pool to exceed normal limits in the positives. Like say the normal cap for %Damage is 150%, Bane is 60% and Multi-shot is 120%, having a 4th negative would allow you do gain 180% Damage, 70% Bane, 135% Multishot.

Just speculation of course because otherwise it would just be nonsense.

2 hours ago, GinKenshin said:

I think riven mods have to do with Dax a little. teshin said that the orokin gave them great power and strength, but great weakness as well, sorta like riven mods 

Probably, but this is a collection game and those almost invariably go min/max in many peoples' mind. If you get a negative stat, everyone will reroll it, so why bother with it in the first place? No one will tolerate that on weapons they're going to use.

I'd say the exorbitant mod energy cost is enough of a weakness in and of itself, but at least it can be worked around with other systems.

2 hours ago, rapt0rman said:

6G4IA4H.jpgpew pew pew pew

So, if you slap this on an unmodded Braton, will you be able to heal enemies? :D

"rapt0rman, the big friend of corrupted heavy gunners!"

EDIT: Whoops, you already tested it, sorry then) I should read the whole thread next time.

Edited by Icy_Ymir

On 15.11.2016 at 7:15 AM, Xzorn said:

So far from what I've seen the mods with a negative stat also have higher positive stats.

This could be linked in some way so there's an available "pool" of numbers and the negative allows the overall pool to exceed normal limits in the positives. Like say the normal cap for %Damage is 150%, Bane is 60% and Multi-shot is 120%, having a 4th negative would allow you do gain 180% Damage, 70% Bane, 135% Multishot.

I've had Braton mod with over 230% dmg. Had to reroll it due to almost zero accuracy though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/11/2016 at 4:05 PM, Sloan441 said:

Probably, but this is a collection game and those almost invariably go min/max in many peoples' mind. If you get a negative stat, everyone will reroll it, so why bother with it in the first place? No one will tolerate that on weapons they're going to use.

I'd say the exorbitant mod energy cost is enough of a weakness in and of itself, but at least it can be worked around with other systems.

Nah, There would be a very limited area where a negative stat could be tolerated  

- Negative Crit chance/damage on Mitre

- Negative Impact damage on Paracyst

Plus, there's probably a few instances where a min/maxer will take a penalty for better positives. especially if this is true:

On 15/11/2016 at 3:15 PM, Xzorn said:

It does seem counterproductive if one desires to buff "meh" weapons. I adore about 99% of this game. This one though was a real head-scratcher. I get what they were trying to do, but this seems an odd solution. Their hearts are in the right place though.