Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Survival is a joke

PakkiTheDog

Seriously, what is survival now if not a joke. People leaving at 5-10 min, if you get to 20 you can be happy. In the good old days everybody was cheap, you had one key and you made sure you got the most of it. I like that they have reduced the grind with the new system and that they have added the endless credit/affinity boosters and relics to make survival relevant but people prefer to restart when the enemies get challenging. 

And i know, recruiting channel? Oh boy, instead of 20 min we gonna do 30, wow!

3 minutes ago, PakkiTheDog said:

A lot of people don't like to do an hour. I know for me, personally, doing an hour is a pain and more tedious than it is fun. :/

Plus, you wrote the answer to your problem in your post but then complain about your answer? I don't get it. If  you want to go longer than 30 minutes, say that you want to go longer than 30 minutes when recruiting. 

Edited by (PS4)rowansprite

8 minutes ago, PakkiTheDog said:

Seriously, what is survival now if not a joke. People leaving at 5-10 min, if you get to 20 you can be happy. In the good old days everybody was cheap, you had one key and you made sure you got the most of it. I like that they have reduced the grind with the new system and that they have added the endless credit/affinity boosters and relics to make survival relevant but people prefer to restart when the enemies get challenging. 

Is that really commonplace? I just ask my party if they're going to 20, because I am, and if they agree, we go to 20, if not, I extract with them and better luck next time.

22 minutes ago, Kereler said:

Is that really commonplace? I just ask my party if they're going to 20, because I am, and if they agree, we go to 20, if not, I extract with them and better luck next time.

Amen. Way to be a good PUG partner. I cant stand people who think they should force a PUG to farm for x amount of time. 

25 minutes ago, PakkiTheDog said:

I have found some pubs that go up to an hour pretty often than not doing survival fissures of all tiers for traces, and while I have found people leaving at 20, I do not find that many people leaving at 5-10 (though there ARE some) and I still always get around 40 minutes to extract before someone even suggests extraction.

25 minutes ago, Naftal said:

That's because pugs didn't exist for void keys. If you premake your groups now just like before then you'll get groups that want to do same things as you.

^ and this is also an alternative, if you ask them if they are ready for it, then they will either go or not, you can always wait 5 more minutes building a team to run an hour of survival.

When people leave 5-10 minutes into a pug Fissure, its mostly because it was the only mission of that tier so they're just opening their relic and leaving.

Otherwise when there are multiple mission types, 80% of the time I join survival missions pugs go to 20 and a lot of the time they even go to 40.

Either way, why are you forcing your playstyle onto other players, most people don't enjoy sitting down in one mission for 40+ minutes, its boring. if you want to play in the same session of 1 hour then recruit people for it. otherwise they have their rights to refuse.

33 minutes ago, (PS4)rowansprite said:

Plus, you wrote the answer to your problem in your post but then complain about your answer? I don't get it. If  you want to go longer than 30 minutes, say that you want to go longer than 30 minutes when recruiting. 

Long run now days means 30 min apparently. The teams i joined/i recruited all wanted to stay for 30/40 min max even if it was before agreed that we would stay longer. And recruiting for a long survival run is the same S#&$ as it was with akkad secura lectra 40 min run. It took forever and even than you got a S#&$ team.

Now everybody is either to soft or to lazy to do longer runs and rather just restart. And why not, you get the same rewards only less effort.

Survival is one of my favorite modes because it can challenge you while giving you nice rewards. I'm just saying, survival=joke. No struggle for those 20 min needed.

I usually can't deal with it after 30 minutes; it's too dull. If you can do it (e.g., right gear / good team combo / you're just that awesome), you can effectively do it forever. If you can't, then you're heading for the door at 20 minutes anyway. 

Edit: yes, "soft and lazy." Alternatively, "could find better things to do with that time, like watching snow melt."

Edited by (XB1)CannyJack

14 minutes ago, PakkiTheDog said:

Survival is one of my favorite modes because it can challenge you while giving you nice rewards.

There is your answer. It's your favorite, not necessarily everyone else'. For me, and it looks like a lot of other people here, survival gets boring and repetitive after 20-25 minutes, make that 10 if RNG is being a $&*^. Speaking of, the rewards are highly random, so you can get screwed over and waste 15 or more minutes of your life if RNG decides it is so. Around the 25 minute mark, or even 20 or less depending on the level, is when heavy enemies get annoyingly bullet spongy anyway.

I was expecting somebody complaining about the difficulty of survival or the fact that it makes no sense (seriously, we don't need air. We can fly through space in AW after all),

but instead, I get some random guy who thinks he has to force his way of playing onto other players. Seriously, If you want to "play" for 5 hours in one mission, either get some people in recruiting chat that are willing to do so for whatever reason or do it solo. Although I must say, spending 40+ minutes in one mission isn't even playing anymore, it's waiting.

I love doing hour plus survivals...solo or with a buddy. This way I can stay in the same room and get enough reactant in the first three minutes and not worry about three people in three different places spreading the spawn. 

If I ever pug, my aim is intervals of five relics as opposed to the old rotation c twenty minute standard. Upon opening each fifth relic you get a bonus relic that already has some traces in it. Many seem to not know this because those relics do not show up at the end of mission reward, only breifly at the reward part during the mission.

Most of the time in pugs when I ask 25 or 50 min, folks pick one of those. Once or twice people ask why not 20/40, and then agree to the 25/50.

To the OP, I suggest you premake runs to suit your desired playstyle. If you just pug it up maybe communicate to your fellow tenno to see if they want to do a long run and leave the squad if they do not. Problem solved, cheers.

1 hour ago, PakkiTheDog said:

Survival is one of my favorite modes because it can challenge you while giving you nice rewards. I'm just saying, survival=joke. No struggle for those 20 min needed.

Here's another option for you. Just solo the survivals if you like challenge. I solo survivals all the time because I like them also. Cool thing about soloing them is that I can leave whenever I want and pause the game.

2 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

Here's another option for you. Just solo the survivals if you like challenge. I solo survivals all the time because I like them also. Cool thing about soloing them is that I can leave whenever I want and pause the game.

Yeah, i think i'm gonna do that. The thing is that at this point there aren't many missions that pose much of a challenge and survival has nice rewards, therefore it's my favorite. The way most people play survival is boring. It's a wait game. 4 op players, wait 20 min and when things get interesting evac and restart. While i would like to have a challenge, fight for my life, escape/revive in last seconds, combo of powers, weapons and wall running, surviving. And it's just more fun with others, only recruiting is a pain (getting players that want to stay that long).

And making three 20 min runs is same as one 1h run, so if you are farming for ducates for baro don't bullS#&$ with waisting time.

In my opinion challenge is what is fun in this game, that and the gameplay (frames+weapons+wall running).

49 minutes ago, PakkiTheDog said:

And making three 20 min runs is same as one 1h run, so if you are farming for ducates for baro don't bullS#&$ with waisting time.

It has less to do with wasting time than it is simply too monotonous to sit through it in a single hour or more. Doing 20 min runs gives you a chance to take a minute break in-between to prevent burnout. Or like DatDarkOne said, playing solo enables the ability to pause, this can be used to the same effect without using multiple relics.

The word "challenging" is subjective. One man's challenge, is another man's snore-fest. 
If I see many people complaining through multiple forum topics that something is too hard and cheap, then for me those fit my criteria of a challenge. (Sorties, Tactical Alerts, Archwing, etc).

1 hour ago, o0Despair0o said:

I was expecting somebody complaining about the difficulty of survival or the fact that it makes no sense (seriously, we don't need air. We can fly through space in AW after all),

but instead, I get some random guy who thinks he has to force his way of playing onto other players. Seriously, If you want to "play" for 5 hours in one mission, either get some people in recruiting chat that are willing to do so for whatever reason or do it solo. Although I must say, spending 40+ minutes in one mission isn't even playing anymore, it's waiting.

mag prime entry clealry says that aw systems got built in life-support so yeah. it does make sense.

54 minutes ago, PakkiTheDog said:

Yeah, i think i'm gonna do that. The thing is that at this point there aren't many missions that pose much of a challenge and survival has nice rewards, therefore it's my favorite. The way most people play survival is boring. It's a wait game. 4 op players, wait 20 min and when things get interesting evac and restart. While i would like to have a challenge, fight for my life, escape/revive in last seconds, combo of powers, weapons and wall running, surviving. And it's just more fun with others, only recruiting is a pain (getting players that want to stay that long).

In my opinion challenge is what is fun in this game, that and the gameplay (frames+weapons+wall running).

except survival is the easiest of endless missions. all you need to do is camp a room and kill things. defense pod wont take cover or be healed up, excavators are really fragile at higher lvls and interception forces you to leave your encampment and spread out to be effective. and more importantly, in survival you can evacuate whenever you want. gl doing that on the rest that isnt excavation. so yeah your "challanging" mode is not any more challenging than the rest of the game, if anything its the least.

7 minutes ago, Zeclem said:

except survival is the easiest of endless missions. all you need to do is camp a room and kill things. defense pod wont take cover or be healed up, excavators are really fragile at higher lvls and interception forces you to leave your encampment and spread out to be effective. and more importantly, in survival you can evacuate whenever you want. gl doing that on the rest that isnt excavation. so yeah your "challanging" mode is not any more challenging than the rest of the game, if anything its the least.

Really? Defend and interception better than survival? Being forced to pick certain frames (not those that you wish), camping and getting bored of long waves or slow capture progress? And getting a squad for a longer run for those...HA. For excavation i would agree if rewards were better (don't need relics). 

When i say challenging i'm talking about your skills. Aim, movement, knowing how to use your frame in the best way.... 

If you play survival like defend missions than no wonder you are bored, when is camping in a game ever fun? Camping is waiting for time to pass, recasting your abilities and watching Friends on half of the screen in defend/interception missions.

Like i wrote before, i play them like exterminate missions. Run around from one part of the map to another, power-weapon killing combos, last min escapes/revives, close up with mobs, getting that "holy S#&$" moment and running away and taking them in smaller numbers. That's what keeps the blood pumping, and i hate it when someone in premade long run group says we'll be hiding in frosts bubble, recasting our abilities.

So recruit specifically for long runs? Maybe specify how long you want to go before you go in? IDK man, I think you're just complaining about something easily fixed just by doing things a little differently. Or grab some friends/clannies and do it that way.

Most people play survival for the rewards, I think, and not the adrenaline. I've personally never had an adrenaline moment in a Survival game - the stakes aren't that high since you can just leave whenever after 5 minutes. And when you hit the point where you start having "oh crap" moments, that's when you leave.

Defense has been the only endless mission that ever gave me a heart-pounding "good lord that was close" feeling, and that's mostly because you're locked in for a specific amount of time, and you may not have chosen wisely. It only happened once- most defenses are trivial - but it's the only time in the game where I ever felt like something was really on the line. 

Edited by (XB1)CannyJack

I actively avoid survival if at all possible. It's tedious and not really fun for me. I would rather play some sort of defense mission any day over survival. As CannyJack mentioned, you're locked in for a fixed period of time, so there is more risk for staying in than in a survival...

Survival should really offer a scaling reward system, as I'm sure many have suggested.

39 minutes ago, (Xbox One)CannyJack said:

Defense has been the only endless mission that ever gave me a heart-pounding "good lord that was close" feeling, and that's mostly because you're locked in for a specific amount of time, and you may not have chosen wisely. It only happened once- most defenses are trivial - but it's the only time in the game where I ever felt like something was really on the line. 

Same. But those are the best parts when your like this extra 5 waves are probably not going to be easy. I'm actually going to have to pay attention to what I'm doing now. Those moments are the best. But since now there's really no good reward for doing so anymore. 

3 hours ago, PakkiTheDog said:

Actually it is not. You are missing out on 1 exceptional and 1 flawless relic, if you go for 3 * 20min instead of 1* 60min. And since you want primeparts/ducats, thats a loss.