The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ovtavia? Really?

CuteFoxyFox

I was hoping for the name "Aria" as it is an actual unaltered musical term that you very rarely hear, and it makes a beautiful feminine name.

"Aria - A long, accompanied song for a solo voice."

Besides. Octavia seems a little uninspired, imo.

Edited by (XB1)Xaevryn

2 hours ago, 321agemo said:

Well we all knew DE was never gonna pick it.

A man can dream though.

Edit: though i quite like your idea :p

Gotta love that my suggestion was second highest. Though I knew from the start that DE would never pick it

Edited by Skycook3y

3 hours ago, (Xbox One)Xaevryn said:

I was hoping for the name "Aria" as it is an actual unaltered musical term that you very rarely hear, and it makes a beautiful feminine name.

Problem is Octavia doesnt actually sing tho... `-`

I get why it's the "Bard Frame"; because it's abilities are musical.

But I think people are trying to make it too much like Medieval Fantasy Setting RPG Bards, because that's what comes to their mind when you say "Bard".

But this clearly isn't that kind of barding. It's not actually strumming an instrument, It's not singing; It's pumping out sequences from a portable tool. The thing "Bard-frame" does have in common with a traditional Bard is that she's infusing her power with sound, even if the way she makes the sound happen is vastly different.

So no, I do not think traditional bard names would work, I don't think lesser-known god names would work, and i don't think anything related to vocals would work. (Unless there are sequenceable vocal samples, in which case... maybe?)

Octavia does, because octaves. Even people who don't even have a general passing knowledge about music would know (or a least should know) to some degree that it is musical. This lets you relate the warframe to something else. As opposed to learning that this greek something-or-other exists and then relating that to the Warframe.

Edited by VocalMagic

21 hours ago, CuteFoxyFox said:

Couldn't we just stay with Bard? For me personally Octavia don't fits Bard Frame :/

Let me guess, is the name too feminine for you? Or is it bringing back memories from your My Little Pony days?

Octavia is an amazing name. I love it!

9 minutes ago, (PS4)dursereg said:

Octave comes from ancient French. Not latin.

And where do you think French comes from? Hint, hint > all romance languages come from Latin. 

c. 1300, utaves (plural, via Anglo-French from popular Old French form oitieve, otaves), reformed in early 15c., from Medieval Latin octava, from Latin octava dies "eighth day," fem. of octavus "eighth," from octo (see eight).

There is no v in latin

No offence. You either have not idea what you are talking about, or you are just trolling. 

Edited by aligatorno

11 minutes ago, aligatorno said:

And where do you think French comes from? Hint, hint > all romance languages come from Latin. 

c. 1300, utaves (plural, via Anglo-French from popular Old French form oitieve, otaves), reformed in early 15c., from Medieval Latin octava, from Latin octava dies "eighth day," fem. of octavus "eighth," from octo (see eight).

No offence. You either have not idea what you are talking about, or you are just trolling. 

There are 23 letter in the Latin alphabet no j v w . K y z were used for Greek words. 

3 minutes ago, (PS4)dursereg said:

There are 23 letter in the Latin alphabet no j v w . K y z were used for Greek words. 

A quick google search gave this answer in response to the Roman Latin alphabet:

"There were no lower case letters at first, and K, Y and Z used only for writing words of Greek origin. The letters J, U and W were added to the alphabet at a later stage to write languages other than Latin. J is a variant of I, U is a variant of V, and W was introduced as a 'double-v' to make a distinction between the sounds we know as 'v' and 'w' which was unnecessary in Latin."

In other words, the letter v WAS present. 

11 minutes ago, (PS4)dursereg said:

The Oxford Latin Dictionary has almost 150 pages only for V, u being used for lower case, V for upper case. So sorry if I`m leaning more towards an official dictionary regarding this rather than towards you. Also, while studying during middle school we always used v in the words that asked for it, so again, i`ll lean more towards my teacher's knowledge. 

capture_by_skyrim_archmage-db25ovj.png

Edited by aligatorno

I personally don't like "Octavia". Can't think about it without immediately also thinking about Roman names. I would have preferred something more musical sounding that doesn't also have major context in other large themes. I'll just call her bard frame.

14 hours ago, (Xbox One)Xaevryn said:

oh, Aria sound nice. Plus Game of Thrones instead of My Little Pony.