Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

why is Phage considered as a shotgun?

(XBOX)Oussii

Convectrix too then, I suppose :v

But to elaborate upon that, same reason why Quanta is also considered a rifle even though it's very different than the Braton: the guns in this game doesn't always follow the conventional rules of what constitute a pistol/ a rifle/ a sniper/ etc. We're bound to get the occassional oddballs.

Edited by Beggining
Woop da Woop

3 minutes ago, Xekrin said:

same reason every launcher is considered an assault rifle, they can't be bothered to split up weapon categories properly.

Actually if I remember right it has nothing to do with that.

If I'm recalling a past devstream correctly, the base amount of ammo a gun can have (total) is tied in the coding to what kind of gun it is. This is why things like Launchers now have access to far less ammo than they did way back in the day. It made them rather OP because they ended up with a ridiculous amount of ammunition. It also cuts down on the total ammunition and clip sizes of the gun. I think this has been tweaked over the years, but essentially it boils down less to what mods the gun uses (although it helps streamline that process to, since it means DE doesn't have to make another category of mods and fill it up) and more ammo and how that entire system works.

I think it has more to do with the fact that its fire covers a wide cone, rather than a narrow cone or single line. While it would arguably be better suited to the rifle category, the mods we have available to us better suit it as a shotgun than a rifle. 

1 hour ago, Xekrin said:

same reason every launcher is considered an assault rifle, they can't be bothered to split up weapon categories properly.

Following your judgement, it could have been considered as an assault rifle, not shot gun.

The understanding of a shot gum does not apply on Phage

18 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Oussii said:

Following your judgement, it could have been considered as an assault rifle, not shot gun.

The understanding of a shot gum does not apply on Phage

yeah it does. shotguns shoot many things. and the phage shoots many squigglies... 

6 hours ago, Imaru said:

I think it has more to do with the fact that its fire covers a wide cone, rather than a narrow cone or single line. While it would arguably be better suited to the rifle category, the mods we have available to us better suit it as a shotgun than a rifle. 

Only mods I see shotguns have it better in general are Hells Chamber and Shotgun Spazz, don't get why you would say the mods are better suited.

(And the relatively new one, Chilling Grasp, but the shotgun beam weapons don't have a reload speed issue as far as I'm aware)

Especially in this case when their status chance gets even further diluted by the status/pellet issue.

5 minutes ago, arch111 said:

Guns can be confusing in Warframe. I personally don't think phage and hek have much in common. But then grineer have a rocker launcher that uses sniper ammo. 

Because sniper ammo is basically our only rare special ammo.category atm.

I don't see why it has to be a shotgun either. I mean if we get a quad laser opticor is it automatically a shotgun because it handles more than 1 round when it fires?

But then again maybe they're automatically shotguns just for that reason, because shotgun damage is divided by the amount of shots (pellets) you fire off.

And if it wasn't they might become overpowered.

So that might be why?

40 minutes ago, Madway7 said:

I don't see why it has to be a shotgun either. I mean if we get a quad laser opticor is it automatically a shotgun because it handles more than 1 round when it fires?

But then again maybe they're automatically shotguns just for that reason, because shotgun damage is divided by the amount of shots (pellets) you fire off.

So that might be why?

That's probaby it. They allso  have been talking about data being a problem for a nonserver-game,  so they probably don't want to add another category if they can avoid it.

9 hours ago, Imaru said:

8 hours ago, redeyedtreefrog said:

it's likely that it's classified as a shotgun because of its innate multishot and (possibly) wide spread. Another reason is likely that there weren't any infested shotguns in the game(in fact, isn't phage still the only one?) and so DE brewed one up, which resulted in phage.

8 hours ago, --Shadow-Stalker-- said:

because it shoots many squiggles at once 

5 hours ago, Corvid said:

It's a short-range weapon with a wide spread. Makes sense to me.

1 hour ago, Madway7 said:

So that might be why?

All good reasons