The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can we please ditch self-damage?

(PSN)HarryMuff

It's just not fun and realism obviously isn't what this game is about (flying space ninjas with invisible dogs?). If the Tonkor is so powerful then just reduce the power. Is that so hard to do?

Soloing missions with the Tonkor, Zarr, Penta, etc. just isn't worth it, and in a team it means being picked up every 30 seconds. It's funny for maybe the first or second time, and then it just becomes a drag on everyone and makes me regret bringing a grenade launcher. My 6 forma Tonkor is covered in dust at this point and the  Zarr looks like joining it soon.

We don't have friendly fire, so why do we have self-damage? I mean, my team-mates certainly don't get blown up when I use my Zarr, so why do I?

Realism?!!

Now, how is a game challenging, with content you will not get bored of ( too quick ), if DE ditches self damage on ALL Special weapons?  Hasn't it occurred to you that if everyone of these weapons didn't have self damage how much nerfing this game would endure?

Edited by (PS4)fullblast35

8 minutes ago, (PS4)HarryMuff said:

Soloing missions with the Tonkor, Zarr, Penta, etc. just isn't worth it, and in a team it means being picked up every 30 seconds. It's funny for maybe the first or second time, and then it just becomes a drag on everyone and makes me regret bringing a grenade launcher. My 6 forma Tonkor is covered in dust at this point and the  Zarr looks like joining it soon.

I use explosives all of the time, and I only ever die to it when I'm being a careless idiot. It's 100% possible to avoid murdering yourself, and it's not hard to do. No skill required, just a tiny bit of common sense and aim.

9 minutes ago, (PS4)HarryMuff said:

We don't have friendly fire, so why do we have self-damage? I mean, my team-mates certainly don't get blown up when I use my Zarr, so why do I?

Self-damage is a limitation on weapons being stupidly powerful. Tonkor still hits like a train, and my Secura Penta hits harder than my Tigris Prime. If those didn't have self-damage, everyone would use them. In fact, Tonkor used to be THE most used weapon in Warframe before the self-damage, if you'll see that logic. Lack of self-damage made weapons like that broken as hell.

If powerful explosives exist, they need a limitation. If that limitation is a heavy damage nerf, then the weapons simply won't be strong enough to use instead of other guns and they'll just be dropped. 

To the OP:

I strongly encourage you to never use a Smeeta Kavat with the Javlok then...

Especially when the stupid thing gives you +red crits and you happen to be close enough to the enemies to inflict self damage.

It does not end well.....

22 minutes ago, (PS4)HarryMuff said:

Shooting at your teammates by accident is one thing, shooting explosives at your own feets and calling it an accident is something else.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)XxDarkyanxX said:

Shooting at your teammates by accident is one thing, shooting explosives at your own feets and calling it an accident is something else.

~10 meters is not exactly "at your own feet"...

Visual indicator for the explosion radius, problem solved.

Or just give me friendly fire, so i can share my "fun" with the entire team...

1 hour ago, NightBlitz said:

heh, git gud. seriously, its not hard to avoid killing yourself with explosives if you actually know how to use them effectively

Ever use the Angstrum in a grineer galleon?  Or any ship with, well, walls?  If so you wouldn't being saying this.

1 hour ago, (PS4)HarryMuff said:

CONGRATULATIONS! YOU ARE THE ONE MILLIONTH PLAYER TO MAKE THIS EXACT ARGUMENT!!!  WHOOO!

a040f541c98f231e2fdf931ed10ecd79.jpg133838197404a7a9026ff2ff31e0eb83e99f516_gatsby-congratulations-by-meme-congratulations_512-288.jpeg

Edited by Xekrin

Just now, Xekrin said:

Ever use the Angstrum in a grineer galleon?  Or any ship with, well, walls?  If so you wouldn't being saying this.

in fact, i have, still wasn't an issue, i just played smart rather than shooting all over the place without any regard to aiming

Just now, NightBlitz said:

in fact, i have, still wasn't an issue, i just played smart rather than shooting all over the place without any regard to aiming

Aiming doesn't mean a damn thing with the angstrum.  They go out in a huge spread almost immediately leaving the barrel.  Even worse, when one rocket explodes, they all explode, so even if you aim dead center down a hallway, if one happens to hit a low hanging ceiling structure or a wall. You are dead.  Period.

Regardless even the most alert and careful players will kill themselves very often.  You claiming you are an expert at them means very little to the discussion at hand.

Congrats to you, but we aren't you.

1 minute ago, O.O_ said:

~10 meters is not exactly "at your own feet"...

Visual indicator for the explosion radius, problem solved.

Or just give me friendly fire, so i can share my "fun" with the entire team...

I wouldn't know, been using my launchers differently ever since the change cames, only managed to kill myself twice with the tonkor, but that was simply due to me Derping out and shooting straight down to test if the grenade had a longer explosion time when you stand close. I don't know what went through my mind really.

Visual indicator would be good.

3 minutes ago, Xekrin said:
53 minutes ago, (PS4)HarryMuff said:

CONGRATULATIONS! YOU ARE THE ONE MILLIONTH PLAYER TO MAKE THIS EXACT ARGUMENT!!!

Well... logic is not everybody's cup of tea o.ò

Just now, (PS4)XxDarkyanxX said:

Derping out and shooting straight down to test if the grenade had a longer explosion time when you stand close.

Well, good news for you at least, tonkor doesn't detonate until the grenades travel 5 meters, even shooting at your feet won't kill you.  I guess you've not got that update on consoles yet.

Just now, Xekrin said:

Well, good news for you at least, tonkor doesn't detonate until the grenades travel 5 meters, even shooting at your feet won't kill you.  I guess you've not got that update on consoles yet.

No wonder, I could've sworn I saw that update somewhere. I got really confused when I died instantly

Not killing yourself isn't too hard.

What's hard is not getting team mates to walk in front of you or use abilities like Absorb that kill you.

It's fair you kill yourself. It's not fair someone else kills you.

As someone who loves launchers that aren't Tonkor, on account of how dull Tonkor was after the first few missions, I don't want the self-damage mechanic removed. You learn the range of the AOE with practice. Then you learn to watch the minimap and position yourself so that things don't leap in front of your shots.

You say self-damage isn't fun. That's your opinion. To me, it is fun. Extreme power at great risk. Hell, I'm more of a threat to myself than the enemies are under lv150. But thanks to a little practice and patience, the only time I suicide is when I get lazy and take a shot I know is stupid.

Some Actual Advice
Penta is no threat to you with the Tether Grenades mod. The grenades glow like a neutron star, so you always know where they landed. If you kill yourself with that, it's because you're not paying attention. Detonating prematurely with TG is a silly practice anyway. The best practice is to fire one round to yoink enemies into position, then fire a second one and detonate as it's passing over their heads for a beautiful AOE headshot. Shame its status is so low, or this tactic would be orgasmic with a gas build.

If you're having trouble with Zarr, stay out of cannon mode. Treat barrage as the primary fire mode, and cannon as the secondary. Only switch to cannon mode when you need CC or a ranged attack, and then immediately switch back to barrage. Don't wait until a situation calls for barrage; just switch back immediately after firing a cannon round. You will very rarely kill yourself.

If Ogris is giving you trouble, the only advice I can give is git gud. Ogris is a tricky weapon to handle post-buff. The augment is absolutely bonkers with Firestorm, but that brings its range to just under 8m, which is extremely unsafe. If you use it, keep to open areas. Mind your environment and try to stay in the air when you take shots. Same applies to Kulstar and Angstrum.

Edited by (PS4)BlitzKeir

2 minutes ago, Vitamin.Ex said:

This is exactly why we have self-damage, it separates the players with 0 skill from those with some skill. If you kill yourself too much, use a different weapon (maybe one that doesn't kill you?).

You know what? You're absolutely right, i(and all the others that don't think self damage without any warning is a good concept) from now on just refuse to use any existing and upcoming explosive weapon in the game because we're obviously to stupid to use them, thank you very much for your advise(absolutely no sarcasm at all).

1 hour ago, (PS4)HarryMuff said:

and in a team it means being picked up every 30 seconds.

Git. Gud.

The game does not need a brain-nerf because you cant look where you are firing and are trying to use rockets like a machinegun.

1 hour ago, maj.death said:

Without any warning? What the hell does that even mean? You shoot an explosive at your feet, you die. It's simple.

Sorry to say it,

however Ogris with maxed firestorm can reach 11+ meters,

which is a far cry from "at your feet" as you called it.