Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shield Gating as a Mod

(PSN)theelix

1 hour ago, (PS4)theelix said:

What if DE made shield-gating, however perfect it needs to be balanced, usable, and suitable for low tier and high tier content, but created it as a mod? 

Would you accept it(be happy with it)? Why or why not? 

No thanks. I'd rather not have another mod just to plaster over a potential issue and forever leave it at that. It's bad practice and has been used a little too often by DE to 'deal' with problems.

'Frames without a shield can still have a shield gate mechanic, if they gain shields in other fashions. Since the game treats them as having 0 shields, if they get shield osprey'd to gain 200 shields, the shield gate mechanic comes out from the perpetual 'break' state, thus allowing folks like Inaros to benefit. Though if the shield break mechanic were implemented as a mod, I'd vote for Exilus, before voting for it to become innate.

3 hours ago, aligatorno said:

There are two frames without shields as of right now. Inaros and Nidus, both with heavy tanking abilities and native health regeneration. They can't be one shotted unless you go to ridiculous levels. They already have a lot of advantages over other frames, it's not like you are gimping them. 

Each frame has their ups and downs, also both nidus and inaros are "immortal", Simply making them run out of HP doesn't kill em simply because of both their passives allowing them to escape death, in nidus's (Lets not forget his 3 either shall we) case may take a small buildup, but inaros has to have an enemy in range.

They may get downed, but that doesn't mean their not out. They definitely are still in it also Shield offspreys can give them 200 shields.

Edited by AlphaTheFinalBalance

5 minutes ago, AlphaTheFinalBalance said:

Each frame has their ups and downs, also both nidus and inaros are "immortal", Simply making them run out of HP doesn't kill em simply because of both their passives allowing them to escape death, in nidus's case may take a small buildup, but inaros has to have an enemy in range.

The difference however is that Nidus's "shield gate" works regardless of enemy level as long as it ticks the box of >= 15 mutation stacks. 

Inaros's passive doesn't seem to scale well at all. I'm unable to reattain Provoked and Undying as of current (I think I sold them nearly a year back for credits because I was low for some reason or another) to see if I can force it to scale better, but at the moment its lackluster against even level 100 enemies.

Also, nearly killing your teammates in order to revive is less than optimal. 

Edited by (PS4)theelix

It has it's pros and cons. If it is a mod then that would leave less space for modding BUT then the Corpus wouldn't have the buff.

Putting it as a mod would also reduce its usage to a few frames that can take the benefit over power or different survivability mods, while most remain unaffected.

7 hours ago, (PS4)theelix said:

What if DE made shield-gating, however perfect it needs to be balanced, usable, and suitable for low tier and high tier content, but created it as a mod? 

If you want a crutch it should take up a Mod slot.

if they did that, the salt would create a new nation on earth, we would call it Saltistan and the capital would be built with Salt and would be named New Salt City. the rivers and oceans nearby would flow with salty tears, and it would all be thanks to DE, whose Devs would be forever immortalised in Salt Square, with Statues...made of Salt.

Spoiler

I don't think people would be very happy with that is what I'm saying, but it would be tragic and hilarious if they did make it a mod.

11 hours ago, Tsukinoki said:

And what about frames without any shields?  How would they be balanced against shield gating where the frames with shields are 100% unable to be killed in one hit while nothing at all stops the frames without shields from being killed in one shot.
There has to be some balance between the two.

There has to be the balance between everything. But there isn't. Like, at all.

So a lack of shield-gating on a shieldless frames is just a single thing out of dozens. Barely makes a difference, barely enybody will notice, barely anybody will care.

19 hours ago, (PS4)theelix said:

No one would ever use it.

/thread 

The term "band aid" gets tossed around so much it's loses its meaning. 

If it's a mod it just becomes another option. Another choice to make. That's a good thing. It's what makes modding engaging. 

It wouldn't be a mandatory mod either. We all do fine without it right now.