Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How to make people want to fight bosses

-Ayon-

Well, i have been playing Warframe for 4 years now, and I loved the first year. while i was going through it i finally have gotten to Orokin Derelict keys, and i loved how i needed to collect Nav coordinates  Lephantis, but most importantly i LOVED the boss fight, and i was so happy and looking forward to seeing more epic battles like that, but i haven't, and it has been 3 years and you have only came up with invulnerable bosses or bosses that are able to be 1 shotted. I have been talking to a lot of my friends and clan members WANT more boss fights like Lephantis, i hope you try to make an event of this boss if you do listen to this, and if people like the boss then you should make more bosses in the future.

Edited by Ayon09

They have to make a boss that has a good balance between being able to fight back and dying in a reasonable time. They've only done that a few times (Kela de Thaym, Lephantis). Every other boss they've designed has been boring to fight because they either have excessive invulnerability periods or they just die too quickly to be interesting.

Yea i liked how ambulas fight was exciting, but i liked the lephantis fight because it was fun and challenging when i was a low mr with different stages and then i figured out it was one giant enemy, it was amazing!

I'd like more bosses like Lephantis, giant and imposing, specific weak points to attack, clearly telegraphed attacks, and minimal adds. On that front I also like Jackal.
The biggest problems with how fleeting bosses are is how powerful your frames and weapons get, but I don't know if there's a way to properly limit those things without players feeling like they are being forcibly restrained. There's a reason people don't like nullifiers. Even Lephantis goes down in seconds under the effects of molecular prime.

Bosses should drop weapons unique to them. Vor drops the Cronus and Seer, but iirc no one else does something like that. Down the road, I'd like to see bosses drop weapons specific to them.

A couple examples:

-Ambulas: a downsized version of the laser on his back

-Raptor: a grenade launcher that deploys mines like the ospreys

-Sargus Ruk: A machine gun that lobs fireballs (cuz why not?!)

15 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Bird Sarcoma said:

Bosses should drop weapons unique to them. Vor drops the Cronus and Seer, but iirc no one else does something like that.

Kela De Thaym drops Twin Kohmak blueprint.

They could make bosses drop stuff but then we'd just moan about the rate that it drops. 

Edited by (PS4)drpunk-yo

DE has mentioned this in a devstream before. They said this is quite hard to fix. If you give the boss too much health/shields/armor it will be extremely difficult for new-ish players to defeat. They have tried to fix this with the Raptor and Ambulas reworks. Now instead of just killing a single boss and moving on, you have to fight multiple to complete a different objective. Really the only way to fix this is to make a boss that loses a certain percent of health based on how many shots its been hit and not damage, and I don't think many people would like that.

3 hours ago, (Xbox One)Bird Sarcoma said:

Bosses should drop weapons unique to them. Vor drops the Cronus and Seer, but iirc no one else does something like that. Down the road, I'd like to see bosses drop weapons specific to them.

A couple examples:

-Ambulas: a downsized version of the laser on his back

-Raptor: a grenade launcher that deploys mines like the ospreys

-Sargus Ruk: A machine gun that lobs fireballs (cuz why not?!)

Kril and Vor drop the Miter parts.

1. Stop gating the bosses behind keys. E.G. Kela De Thaym, Ambulas Reborned, Lephantis, Mutated Alad V, (and maybe more that I missed out?, but you get the drift.)

2. Give them something unique that draws people to farm fight them. E.G. Kela drops unique mods that can only drop from defeating her.

3. I don't know about others, but invulnerability on bosses pisses me off a lot. E.g. Lech Kril, Sargus Ruk, Vay Hek are the few I dislike.

Lech Kril is not too bad, as I kind of like the "shoot the coolant pipe" part, but the waiting for him to do the moveset that will cause him to freeze pisses me off quite a little.

When you are with random players in a public game that do not know the fight, they will keep using melee attacks on him and that cause Lech Kril to not use the moves that will cause him to freeze, And it prolongs the fight needlessly, but I will pin that one to one's lack of knowledge.

Sargus Ruk, and Vay Hek flying mode are the ones that gets me. It is so annoying to have to just wait for them to open up their soft spot, and have a health gate at that no less.

I rather that DE adds in mechanics for players to do that will undo their invulnerability, but still keep the health gate.

And honestly speaking, I do enjoy the fight against Ambulas on Pluto - Hades. But please, remove the beacons requirement. The reward(s) from Ambulas right now doesn't warrant the need for beacons right now. (IMO)

Edited by PierceSG

You want people to fight bosses?

Just make them drop these mods:

I got this idea, that our mod variety is lacking becuase we ultimately only use a few selected mods.

Giving bosses those mods (or whatever other mods DE comes up too) in big amounts (10 possible mod drop/boss) would make people want to fight them.

IF they strap on some new boss exclusive weapons on them that would be great too.

Personally, I would like to see larger-scale bosses that more closely resemble the classic Raid Boss model. Level 100 Lephantis on sorties would probably be the closest thing we have to that. Having a boss that doesn't get burst damaged down in 30 seconds and poses a very REAL and VIABLE threat to a squad of 4 or 8 would provide new players and veterans something to 'chew' on. I know that many players don't even consider lvl 100 Lephantis a threat, which I understand. My point was really to use him as an example of multi-faceted boss fights that are large in scale and engaging to the player base. 

What I'm gathering from most of the feedback in this thread is that the length of the mission isn't the problem; it is the mechanics and challenge of the content. I feel that most players don't want to acknowledge it, but Warframe is unfortunately NOT very challenging as a game without self-imposed obstacles. The bosses currently are no exception. 

I'm only suggesting this, but what if there were something like Nightmare boss modes? This may already exist, but perhaps they need to be adjusted to be much higher level and offer relevant, desirable rewards. 

No more  invulnerability periods seriously.Todays Vay Hek assasination is a great example the boss cant kill me and i have to sit around waiting for him to reveal his weakpoint,do little damage in the short amount of time because of his armor scaling then back to the waiting game.Ambulas is probably the most fun boss to fight but that dumb Animo Nav Beacon requirement stops me from even wanting to fight him again because i have to grind to face him,same thing with Kela.

9 hours ago, Duckboy3825 said:

DE has mentioned this in a devstream before. They said this is quite hard to fix. If you give the boss too much health/shields/armor it will be extremely difficult for new-ish players to defeat. They have tried to fix this with the Raptor and Ambulas reworks. Now instead of just killing a single boss and moving on, you have to fight multiple to complete a different objective. Really the only way to fix this is to make a boss that loses a certain percent of health based on how many shots its been hit and not damage, and I don't think many people would like that.

You don't need to count hits like that, you can make it a smarter way like giving players temporary weapons to pick up and shoot at the boss, either to destroy something hiding a weak spot or to reduce the boss hp cause weapons deals almost no damage to this kind of boss, that's a way that don't frustrate much the players the first time they encounter the boss.

You could also make things that you need to destroy in order to activate a laser on the boss or make things fall on the boss, maybe pretty far away to give an incentive to play with accurate weapons on a boss fight instead of burst damage. You could make bosses that you need some kind of specific attacks on a spot like a slam with any melee weapon on the back of a boss, that way it's not straight invulnerable. You could make add-wave kind of bosses, where you need to kill adds in a specific area to either damage the boss or make it vulnerable. There are a lot of possibilities that DE have yet to explore.

12 hours ago, Aranaevens said:

You could also make things that you need to destroy in order to activate a laser on the boss or make things fall on the boss, maybe pretty far away to give an incentive to play with accurate weapons on a boss fight instead of burst damage. You could make bosses that you need some kind of specific attacks on a spot like a slam with any melee weapon on the back of a boss, that way it's not straight invulnerable. You could make add-wave kind of bosses, where you need to kill adds in a specific area to either damage the boss or make it vulnerable. There are a lot of possibilities that DE have yet to explore.

Doesn't the Ambulas fight sort of get close to these ideas?  Because, let's face it, Ambulas is not the boss in that fight.  The giant ship is the boss.  We're just fighting waves of enemies to damage the giant ship.