Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can We Please Address The Issue Of Players Forcing Other Players Into Missions Via "Start Timer"

Master-Nachash

It is made worse on old systems.   But it still happens on ok systems, seemingly due to a poor host connection/high ping.   Have played WF on multiple systems ranging from ones that calling them a potato would insult potato's to a solid all around system.   And have played on my own internet which is good, to hotel's which range from as good as my own to borderline dial-up speeds.  A simple toggle to automatically leave a squad at the end of a mission would hurt nobody and help out folks having these issues.    Till then, just bail on them.

There is an option to "optimize game cache" in the splash screen settings menu that could get you loading faster to avoid this problem.

1 hour ago, LSG501 said:

as I said it requires two people to get the countdown starter up

I do not think that is correct. 

Edited by Steel_Will

1 hour ago, WhiteMarker said:

Is this assumption wrong? If you click the mission, you want to play it, don't you? óÒ

Yes. And no.

Unlike a Relicmission, I cant see who I will be playing with, their gear or even how far into the mission they are.

I have lost count of the times I join and the other 3 are racing to Extraction.  No fun.

1 hour ago, WhiteMarker said:

Is this assumption wrong? If you click the mission, you want to play it, don't you? óÒ

Have you really not even mis-clicked a thing? Or clicked and realized that you're not on solo even though you don't want to play on public?

Not only that, but often you can click cancel and the game still throws you into a session.

Also, on the start-timer thing - it is wrong of the game to assume that someone who didn't vote yes or no would vote yes.

Once the timer reaches 0 and there are people who still hadn't voted, they should be kicked from the group, just as if they voted no.

@LSG501 It requires a single person to click "start timer", no matter how many people voted, although I've noticed that if I wasn't hosting the previous session, I don't always get the option to do that. If I were host however, I can just force all 3 people into the next game.

Edited by VentiGlondi

12 minutes ago, VentiGlondi said:

Have you really not even mis-clicked a thing? Or clicked and realized that you're not on solo even though you don't want to play on public?

Not only that, but often you can click cancel and the game still throws you into a session.

Yeah, I had this happen multiple times. But those are mistakes made by me, not by the game.
And then I just ran the mission, or I left. Not that big of a deal.
A lot of fuss about such minor things.

A lot of people are talking about slow connections. Well, before even with slow connections this never happened. It should be brought back to the way it was.

If a player does not accept, he is dropped from the squad. Simple as that.

51 minutes ago, o0Despair0o said:

I understand your problem.

However, you need to see the other side as well. Nobody wants to wait 3 years in his/her ship just because that one guy decides to write a damn book instead of pressing "ready".

Then why not just have anyone that does not vote just be dropped when the timer expires?

1 hour ago, VentiGlondi said:

@LSG501 It requires a single person to click "start timer", no matter how many people voted, although I've noticed that if I wasn't hosting the previous session, I don't always get the option to do that. If I were host however, I can just force all 3 people into the next game.

Strange because I'm sure it normally takes 2 for me.....not that it really matters for me personally because I normally have plenty of time to leave either way.

Edited by LSG501

I have experienced what OP described a couple of times. I had to wait a long time looking at the loading screen only to appear in the next mission immediately, I never even got to see the mission results screen of the previous missions.  I know it's not my connection or my hardware, those are well beyond the recommended requirement. 

This only happened a small number of times and it was always because of the connection to the host player being terrible. The host player is geographically far away (high ping) or has slow internet (or is running torrents, streaming media, doing whatever choking up their internet speeds).

Maybe OP has bad luck connecting to these hosts a lot. Did you try lowering your matchmaking Ping limit in Options to 200?

4 hours ago, WhiteMarker said:

no before if you clicked a mission you could see what that mission is before heading in. i noticed this change aswell and find it off that they did this.

It's always an issue with sorties, or when a random joins a pre existing group but doesn't leave. People trying to rush into a radiation sortie while I still have pox equipped, or starting a match because the group is talking over voice chat and don't notice 

1 hour ago, MystMan said:

I have experienced what OP described a couple of times. I had to wait a long time looking at the loading screen only to appear in the next mission immediately, I never even got to see the mission results screen of the previous missions.  I know it's not my connection or my hardware, those are well beyond the recommended requirement. 

This only happened a small number of times and it was always because of the connection to the host player being terrible. The host player is geographically far away (high ping) or has slow internet (or is running torrents, streaming media, doing whatever choking up their internet speeds).

Maybe OP has bad luck connecting to these hosts a lot. Did you try lowering your matchmaking Ping limit in Options to 200?

My ping limit is set to unlimited or whatever because I find that I often have trouble finding squads if it's lower than that. And I probably come across this issue so much partly because I play everyday for hours without fail. It's usually like once or twice a day and always when I have a below average to a terrible host.

6 hours ago, Master-Nachash said:

I'm having problems with other people's lack of consideration.

Wouldnt be just as inconsiderate, that knowing your configuration may not even at base, you still choose to join public and hold the other people back?

You can always tell the public: "hey crappy computer, please dont start next mission, or disband after this pls"

4 minutes ago, Master-Nachash said:

My ping limit is set to unlimited or whatever because I find that I often have trouble finding squads if it's lower than that. And I probably come across this issue so much partly because I play everyday for hours without fail. It's usually like once or twice a day and always when I have a below average to a terrible host.

nvm me, thats probably it, but still not best approach to finger point when you choose to keep ping at no limits at your own risk

Edited by Souldend78

3 minutes ago, Souldend78 said:

Wouldnt be just as inconsiderate, that knowing your configuration may not even at base, you still choose to join public and hold the other people back?

You can always tell the public: "hey crappy computer, please dont start next mission, or disband after this pls"

nvm me, thats probably it, but still not, best approach to finger point when you choose to keep ping at no limits at your own risk

It's not my configuration. The only time I have issues is when the host is bad. The pattern is evident. When I have a high ping host. My load time increases between mission and navigation and when my load time increases, host can shunt me back into another mission without me even seeing the insides of my liset. And as someone else has pointed out, this occurs on a variety of different systems, including ones that are far beyond what's needed to run Warframe efficiently. So obviously this is an issue with squad hosting itself and matchmaking.

And like I said, if I reduce my ping limit I have trouble finding squads. So that is not an option.

7 hours ago, Master-Nachash said:

Well firstly, I'm not talking about setting up gear, maybe relics yes but that's different. Secondly, no, when a bad host is back in his navigation / liset before you and he starts timer, you don't have any time to do anything, you're forced into a mission. Simple as.

Not even ones happen to me , not matter how bad the host was ... sound like your problem , not "a problem" .

1 hour ago, Master-Nachash said:

It's not my configuration. The only time I have issues is when the host is bad. The pattern is evident. When I have a high ping host. My load time increases between mission and navigation and when my load time increases, host can shunt me back into another mission without me even seeing the insides of my liset. And as someone else has pointed out, this occurs on a variety of different systems, including ones that are far beyond what's needed to run Warframe efficiently. So obviously this is an issue with squad hosting itself and matchmaking.

And like I said, if I reduce my ping limit I have trouble finding squads. So that is not an option.

Sorry, but last time I had no limit, matchmaking threw me into a 1500 ping session. I much rather wait 1-2mins to find a squad than feeling completely useless, on a exterminate with 50 enemy needed that takes over 20 mins to complete, on top of then going thru what you go thru....all for the sake of instant squads.

And yes, it is a matchmaking problem, but it is avoidable if we choose to avoid it....with 50% success chances...lol

Edited by Souldend78

4 hours ago, Yagamilight123 said:

Not even ones happen to me , not matter how bad the host was ... sound like your problem , not "a problem" .

Trust me, it's "a problem". One that is easily avoided fortunately.
I have my matchmaking ping setting on 250 so I am able to avoid this altogether. And i do find matches all the time, I guess my region is packed enough with people when I play.

But there is the odd rare duck that I sometimes experience the same as OP. I guess some host on a decent connection suddenly gets an increase in lag on their network during gameplay (for example a family member on a separate PC suddenly  decides to hog a big chunk of the bandwith) resulting in connectivity problems.

Just because it didn't happen to you, does not mean it doesn't exist. It's a rare occurrence after all, unless you have ping limit set to unlimited. OP's only solution is to set this ping limit lower.  On Unlimited it is simply terrible. Start with 400, then 300 and lower until you find a compromise when you can still connect to people.

I've seen a few complainers before when farming me and some friends leave a slot open while farming for credits.

We'll be doing known-speed clear nodes, have a rando join, and I'll let them know we're credit farming fast. (Sechura with Speedva for instance)

Usually people either get on the ball or drop after one run.

But occassionally I get the chud that wants "Few minutes, let me switch some stuff up." after a single run.

How about no? How about you get that S#&$ set out on your own time. I have three people ready to go and one chud holding everyone up.

Yes I hit start timer. If you need time, leave.

Now, in other scenarios, where you aren't clearly speed-running stuff? Sure, probably a $&*^ move.

15 hours ago, Yagamilight123 said:

Not sure I believe you. I've spoken to a number of different players across different platforms with different quality systems and they all recognise this issue, albeit some haven't come across it as much as me. But I play almost all day every single day so it's likely that I'll see it more than most.

6 hours ago, FairyTael said:

I've seen a few complainers before when farming me and some friends leave a slot open while farming for credits.

We'll be doing known-speed clear nodes, have a rando join, and I'll let them know we're credit farming fast. (Sechura with Speedva for instance)

Usually people either get on the ball or drop after one run.

But occassionally I get the chud that wants "Few minutes, let me switch some stuff up." after a single run.

How about no? How about you get that S#&$ set out on your own time. I have three people ready to go and one chud holding everyone up.

Yes I hit start timer. If you need time, leave.

Now, in other scenarios, where you aren't clearly speed-running stuff? Sure, probably a $&*^ move.

You should set your instance to invite only / friends only if other players joining is a problem for you when you're in a pre-made squad.

You seem oblivious as to why the functionality that's causing you problems exist in the first place.

Start timer exists to force players to make a quick decision if the rest of the squad has already made up their mind, or simply aren't willing to wait any more. It serves other purposes, like still being able to start a mission if someones UI breaks, but that's not the main reason for its existence.

The reasons that you've received a fairly negative response to this thread is:

1. You seem to think that this is not your issue.

2. The solution you've suggested is vague, and it solves very specifically your exact issue.

Let me give you an example of a suggestion similar to yours but more extreme.

"Can we please have the chat default to the right side of the screen?

Every time I log in I have to move it to the right side because it defaults to the left."

That's obviously a silly change, because it seems reasonable to assume that the vast majority of people are fine with being to the left.

Now this is a suggestion similar to yours:

"Can we please have the game save chat location even when I exit game?"

The problem with this, is that the majority of people still doesn't give a S#&$.

Therefore it's not worth any of the developers time to do something about. Not every issue we run into this game is the fault of the developers nor their problem to fix.

The reason we have start timer, and not just start mission instantly, is so you have time to hit leave squad if you don't wanna go for the next mission.

If you find yourself unable to use this time window to leave squad, then that's on you.