Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shotguns and negative Flight Speed.

kaliazane

I've been suspecting this for a while and finally did some testing, It causes dmg to fall off sooner.

On both strun and kohm normally dmg starts to fall off at 16 meters, rivens with - 67% Flight cause that distance to decrease to about 6-7 meters. Which means that you need to hug a guy at 5 meters or less to deal full dmg, while with different negative you could deal full dmg at 1-15 meters.

So my question would be, why ? Why is this even a feature when you can't even equip Fatal Acceleration on them and I think only shotgun that lets you use it is Drakgoon. Is this supposed to be a bug of some sorts or ?

Now I was thinking about posting series of screens demonstrating it but it's far too much work, anyone can spawn high level charger, bastille him, mark him, get behind him so you dont do any head shots, shoot pressing print screen right after and ctrl+V it into paint to read values. Repeat that at different distances with and without - Flight riven equipped.

2 minutes ago, ViS4GE said:

Repeat that at different distances with and without - Flight riven equipped.

This is the part not everyone can replicate.

My guess would be that the negative flight speed is affecting the relationship between distance and time, what with that relationship being speed.  Reducing flight speed to 33% means it should travel 33% of the distance in the normal time frame so drop off starts at 33% of the distance it normally would as that is now the distance it would travel in the time it should take for drop off to kick in.  Whether this is intentional or a bug I don't know but I'd be curious if it also reduces the range on weapons that have a maximum range.

3 minutes ago, Doomerang said:

Wow that's new to me, never know that projectile flight speed affects shotgun damage falloff, and pardon me does the flight speed affects every shotgun in the game ? I thought shotguns (except Drakgoon) are hitscan weapons so it wont matters.

I only tested Strun and Kohm with -67% Flight rivens but I cant imagine it not being exactly the same on Boar or Sobek. Also on rivens +3 -1 that flight speed could be easily -90% or more which means you would almost never deal full dmg unless you are touching enemies.

So, essentially what is happening is that the algorithm isn't actually taking into account distance traveled on non-hitscan weapons, but rather how long they've been in air. 

Report it as a bug and DE might change the algorithm to see how far said object has traveled instead of how fast it gets there. 

I read the Drakgoon as what you've tested, not the Strun and Kohm, which are both hitscan. Mistake on my part. 

Regardless, report it as a bug. I have no shotgun rivens at present, but if someone could also test positive flight speed increasing the distance before damage falls off that would be nice. 

Edited by (PS4)theelix

3 minutes ago, NPC said:

So then technically positive flightspeed on shotties would decrease dmg falloff and at some point would remove it completely? 

Maybe, but positive flight is only possible on rivens since you can't actually equip Fatal Acceleration on anything other than Drakgoon. It simply wont show up on other shotguns so you can't equip it. That's why this entire thing kinda makes no sense.

Personally I never tested + Flight rivens since it was considered wasted roll and don't have any of that on me.

It's a good question.

19 minutes ago, ViS4GE said:

I only tested Strun and Kohm with -67% Flight rivens but I cant imagine it not being exactly the same on Boar or Sobek. Also on rivens +3 -1 that flight speed could be easily -90% or more which means you would almost never deal full dmg unless you are touching enemies.

I'm glad that I rerolled my -flight time Sobek riven :blush:

42 minutes ago, ViS4GE said:

So my question would be, why ? Why is this even a feature

At a guess, they have to simulate the shotgun damage falloff somehow, so even though its hitscan they still calculate distance and speed which turns into falloff.  I dunno, maybe they should allow fatal acceleration on hitscan shotguns as a way to decrease falloff damage.

Either way, that negative stat that is normally scoffed at thinking the Riven would have 3 godly stats with a negligible negative one turned out to actually be negative.

That's funny.

I would not expect this to change simply because a negative stat on a riven is doing its job though.  So reroll or adapt.

That's why this entire thing kinda makes no sense.

A lot of riven stats available make no sense.  If they fix one they'd have to fix them all.  Really expect that to happen?

Edited by Xekrin

Not technically a "shotgun", but the range for the Zarr's barrage mode is also affected by flight speed.

10 minutes ago, NPC said:

So then technically positive flightspeed on shotties would decrease dmg falloff and at some point would remove it completely? 

I dunno about removing it completely, but I was wondering about this too. I assume the easiest way to test it would be with Zephyr's Jet Steam augment. If that doesn't increase the effective range of shotguns, then something should be fixed.

Either completely remove the effect of flight speed on shotgun effective range or give shotguns more range with increased flight speed.

i saw this mentioned and was quite curious to it, but couldn't test myself because of Fatal Acceleration being aforementioned restricted and not having any Shotgun Rivens with reduced Flight Speed currently.

and if this is infact the case, then Fatal Acceleration SHOULD be Equippable again, and allowing positive Flight Speed to reduce the effects of Falloff.
as that is certainly a significant choice there for a Mod Slot.

just removing this would be uninteresting and boring, compared to the opportunity to have another of the rare instances where Players have legitimate choices to consider that actually matter when they're looking at Mods.

8 hours ago, ViS4GE said:

I've been suspecting this for a while and finally did some testing, It causes dmg to fall off sooner.

On both strun and kohm normally dmg starts to fall off at 16 meters, rivens with - 67% Flight cause that distance to decrease to about 6-7 meters. Which means that you need to hug a guy at 5 meters or less to deal full dmg, while with different negative you could deal full dmg at 1-15 meters.

So my question would be, why ? Why is this even a feature when you can't even equip Fatal Acceleration on them and I think only shotgun that lets you use it is Drakgoon. Is this supposed to be a bug of some sorts or ?

Now I was thinking about posting series of screens demonstrating it but it's far too much work, anyone can spawn high level charger, bastille him, mark him, get behind him so you dont do any head shots, shoot pressing print screen right after and ctrl+V it into paint to read values. Repeat that at different distances with and without - Flight riven equipped.

I have a sobek riven with plus flight speed and it really increases the dmg fall off distance. If rivens increase it maybe other mods should as well

Think it kinda makes sense.   Reduced velocity should reduce the range that it can do damage.    Though, think this will only happen on shotguns.    Shouldn't affect other weapon types as far as damage range is concerned.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, (PS4)Flight_God said:

Just got the kohm riven I wanted but it has -FS and the drop off is crazy.  I tried with zephyr using the jet stream augment and nothing has changed.  I really hope they do something about this. 

Considering they even added "FALLOFF" to ui of shotguns I'm fairly certain effect of flight speed is here to stay. Jet Zephyr should increase it quite a bit, are you sure you tested it properly ?

Personally I got rid of all my -Flight shotgun rivens.