Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Do the corpus look out of place in warframe?

romakarol

I know its a bit of a paradox to suggest about 1/4 of the integral material in this game looks out of place, but to me the corpus are just an eyesore with their goofy helmets and silly walkers.

The first faction you see in this game are grineer, who gave me personally a heavy quake vibe with their crude, grimdark and barbaric look. 

The warframes are awesome-looking evangelion: mini style bio-mechanical killing machines.

The infested are the classic bug race (aliens, tyranids, the bugs from starship troopers whatever). I would prefer they looked more frightening rather than tyrandis-lite but whatevs.

And then you have the corpus, looking goofy asfk with their rubber astronaut suits and dustbin helmets...honestly they almost look what a kid dressing up in random kitchen utensils might imagine a made-up race to look like. And the scrambuses on their grav ice-skates?! For real? The robots look fine for the most part, personally not a fan of the basic moas with their early 2000's style security camera heads. Oh and generator carriers with their entirely un-aesthetic backpacks.

Anyone agree? Any chance of a redesign? What are your pet peeves? I freely admit this is just a rant thread, it bugs me a little bit every time I log in until I just had to make this post.

The enemies are too repetitive, look at the Grineer for example, Mercury, Mars, Kuva Fortress. Same enemies different color schemes. But with the introduction of new enemies it makes this better, which is nice.

19 minutes ago, romakarol said:

And then you have the corpus, looking goofy asfk with their rubber astronaut suits and dustbin helmets...honestly they almost look what a kid dressing up in random kitchen utensils might imagine a made-up race to look like. And the scrambuses on their grav ice-skates?! For real? The robots look fine for the most part, personally not a fan of the basic moas with their early 2000's style security camera heads. Oh and generator carriers with their entirely un-aesthetic backpacks.

Potentially the best thing I have read all day. I truly feel the Corpus could look like some unruly demons with superior firepower. The corpus need to look more robotic. Instead of fighting a bunch of basket heads with hazmat suits let's fight some robotic enemies that look like Halo spartans! (minus the humans inside)

25 minutes ago, romakarol said:

The robots look fine for the most part, personally not a fan of the basic moas with their early 2000's style security camera heads.

Those are their cannons, the head is a small insect like thing below, otherwise they fullfill the sci-fi trinity: soldiers, advance technology and mutants.

Spoiler

latest?cb=20160515214342

I really like the bucket helmets lol it's so characteristic of them that it's the first thing I think of when I see corpus. Plus popping the helmets off is pretty fun. I've always been fond of the robots too, can't wait to get the new giant tick/spider looking ones. Love me some insectoid baddies.

I do agree with the carriers tho. The backpacks look like they were just slapped on lol

The helmets of Corpus are very distinct and unique. Something you immediately recognize. Those I've always liked.

The thing that has always bothered me a bit about crewmen are the jumpsuits. They look oddly dated and cheap. If something deserves visual update about Corpus, it's those suits. Light exoskeletons similar to RIG's from Dead Space would fit Corpus Crewmen pretty nicely. 

I like corpus most of the time. But they ARE a bunch of weirdos who talk like Greedo in sw and keep robots around who think they are animals.

One thing though. Prod crewmen and Sniper crewmen,  how the hell do they even move and aim in those suits?

I feel that the Corpus actually fit into the universe really well if you look at it from another perspective. 

The Corpus are a corporate cult on the far fringes of fanaticism. Their unique and outlandish style makes sense if you consider that it compliments the loony nature of the Corpus. They also bring a bit of comic relief and light, to an otherwise dark and twisted universe. We love Nef Anyo and Frohd Bek for a reason, imagine if all of the Corpus characters had the demeanor of Ergo Glast. The whole universe would feel oppressive.

That's not to say I wouldn't want more Corpus characters like Ergo Glast. I think it would bring an interesting dynamic to the faction. However, I appreciate the borderline tone of the Corpus figureheads.

21 hours ago, Potato said:

let's fight some robotic enemies that look like Halo spartans! (minus the humans inside)

Yeah, I don't know about that... This is why I'm glad the community isn't in charge of design

I much prefer they look odd and unique than typical Halo warriors. Same goes for the rest of WFs aesthetic.

21 hours ago, Potato said:

Instead of fighting a bunch of basket heads with hazmat suits let's fight some robotic enemies that look like Halo spartans! (minus the humans inside)

Big no. I don't mind humanoid mechs, but nothing like Spartans. Something like Red One's drones in The Last Angel maybe. Heavy artillery tanks.

22 hours ago, romakarol said:

I know its a bit of a paradox to suggest about 1/4 of the integral material in this game looks out of place, but to me the corpus are just an eyesore with their goofy helmets and silly walkers.

The first faction you see in this game are grineer, who gave me personally a heavy quake vibe with their crude, grimdark and barbaric look. 

The warframes are awesome-looking evangelion: mini style bio-mechanical killing machines.

The infested are the classic bug race (aliens, tyranids, the bugs from starship troopers whatever). I would prefer they looked more frightening rather than tyrandis-lite but whatevs.

Anyone agree? Any chance of a redesign? What are your pet peeves? I freely admit this is just a rant thread, it bugs me a little bit every time I log in until I just had to make this post.

Their design is intentional.

It is representative of their compromised and limiting sycophantic worship of the Orokin.  They use overt, simplistic geometric shapes in their designs and technology.

They so desperately want to be  Orokin that there is a pervasive and pathetic desperation to their existence...grasping to become idols who are forever beyond their comprehension, power and technological reach.

So they turn to money to distract themselves from their shortcomings...forever toiling to overcome their inferiority complex.

So the designs are basic and often clunky and obviously having the intended effect on you when you view them.

Brilliant...yet myopic simpletons who cannot escape the trappings of their own corrupt nature and become something greater.

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73

2 hours ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

Their design is intentional.

It is representative of their compromised and limiting sycophantic worship of the Orokin.  They use overt, simplistic geometric shapes in their designs and technology.

They so desperately want to be  Orokin that there is a pervasive and pathetic desperation to their existence...grasping to become idols who are forever beyond their comprehension, power and technological reach.

So they turn to money to distract themselves from their shortcomings...forever toiling to overcome their inferiority complex.

So the designs are basic and often clunky and obviously having the intended effect on you when you view them.

Brilliant...yet myopic simpletons who cannot escape the trappings of their own corrupt nature and become something greater.

Reminds me of another species....

On 6/14/2017 at 3:59 PM, Hunter_Gamma said:

The thing that has always bothered me a bit about crewmen are the jumpsuits. They look oddly dated and cheap.

This. They feel like a holdover from old assets, like the old Braton/Burston designs. Something updated to match newer Corpus designs would be cool, but they definitely need to keep the bucket helmets. Wouldn't be the same without them